Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Genius Press - MOTD 23:01 - Jan 23 with 1500 viewsSaintsforeverj

Alex Scott just did an excellent analysis of the Saints press on MOTD. There were periods in the game where we had 8 players positioned right up by the Arsenal penalty box when they had a goal kick or when they had the ball in their own half. It's just genius as 9 times out of 10, they couldn't get out their own half. There was no way out for Arsenal. We hunted them in packs. It's so effective and a great way to play. Ralph has ingrained this in the team and it's great to see as a fan.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2021 23:03]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

The Genius Press - MOTD on 00:13 - Jan 24 with 1420 viewsRon11

Also on MOTD, I thought Ben Tozer, the Cheltenham centre back and Captain looked a very tidy player.
He certainly looked capable of playing at a much higher level - I hope he gets there. He'd give Stephens a lesson or two.
The Genius Press - MOTD on 00:32 - Jan 24 with 1402 viewswashington_saint

The Genius Press - MOTD on 00:13 - Jan 24 by Ron11

Also on MOTD, I thought Ben Tozer, the Cheltenham centre back and Captain looked a very tidy player.
He certainly looked capable of playing at a much higher level - I hope he gets there. He'd give Stephens a lesson or two.

That'll be the same Stephens that has helped us keep 5 clean sheets in the last 6 games eh?
The Genius Press - MOTD on 07:40 - Jan 24 with 1286 viewsCity_boy

The Genius Press - MOTD on 00:32 - Jan 24 by washington_saint

That'll be the same Stephens that has helped us keep 5 clean sheets in the last 6 games eh?

He still looks a weak link in that defence and struggles to clear anything in the air that is pumped into the box. He has got away with a lot during these games.

The clean sheets are mainly because of how well the other defenders and midfield is playing - not because of Stephens. Granted he has had a couple of good blocks, but also found wanting on many occasions - even against Shrewsbury.

Squad player only for me. I would be surprised if any other premiership club would want to sign Stephens if he was made available.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 7:41]
The Genius Press - MOTD on 08:48 - Jan 24 with 1225 viewsChesham_Saint

The Genius Press - MOTD on 07:40 - Jan 24 by City_boy

He still looks a weak link in that defence and struggles to clear anything in the air that is pumped into the box. He has got away with a lot during these games.

The clean sheets are mainly because of how well the other defenders and midfield is playing - not because of Stephens. Granted he has had a couple of good blocks, but also found wanting on many occasions - even against Shrewsbury.

Squad player only for me. I would be surprised if any other premiership club would want to sign Stephens if he was made available.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 7:41]

I think you’d be surprised just how many teams are crying out for a new CB. If you look at other forums after we’ve beaten them, there’s generally a clamour for a new CB, a defensive midfielder oh, and a “quality forward”.

As Washington said, Stephens featuring in a pretty tight defence at SFC (and being English) would make him attractive to quite a few teams I suspect.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

The Genius Press - MOTD on 09:23 - Jan 24 with 1191 viewsBerber

The Genius Press - MOTD on 00:13 - Jan 24 by Ron11

To be fair, that was probably the game of his life, most likely not a Tony Book story in the making. But he showed that any player is capable of comparing to the best on their day.
The Genius Press - MOTD on 09:41 - Jan 24 with 1174 viewsChesham_Saint

The Genius Press - MOTD on 09:23 - Jan 24 by Berber

To be fair, that was probably the game of his life, most likely not a Tony Book story in the making. But he showed that any player is capable of comparing to the best on their day.

Tony Book? Plymouth Argyle to Man City aged, what, 28? Now that WAS Roy of the Rovers stuff. Good shout.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

The Genius Press - MOTD on 09:53 - Jan 24 with 1160 viewsBerber

He is definitely playing better on the left, probably because Bertrand doesn't go upfield as much as Walker Peters. Most of his mistakes have been made by not covering for the advancing full back, and remaining too central and too advanced for his lack of pace. His positioning on the left does seem to be better though. No doubt that he is invariably outshone by the other CBs whoever they may be, but is a decent squad player.
The Genius Press - MOTD on 10:21 - Jan 24 with 1126 viewsSadoldgit

The Genius Press - MOTD on 09:53 - Jan 24 by Berber

He is definitely playing better on the left, probably because Bertrand doesn't go upfield as much as Walker Peters. Most of his mistakes have been made by not covering for the advancing full back, and remaining too central and too advanced for his lack of pace. His positioning on the left does seem to be better though. No doubt that he is invariably outshone by the other CBs whoever they may be, but is a decent squad player.

As you say, he is a decent squad player but his problem is you will get several good games out of him but you won’t get a full decent season. He lacks concentration at times in every game and although we have kept clean sheets with him that is because the opposition didn’t capitalise on his mistakes. He played well yesterday and has stood in well for Vest, but I’m looking forward to getting him back soon.
Login to get fewer ads

The Genius Press - MOTD on 10:21 - Jan 24 with 1126 viewsRon11

Yes, the same Stephens that loses his man several times a game, makes 'mistakes' and is only in there because Vestergaard is out injured.
The Genius Press - MOTD on 10:24 - Jan 24 with 1123 viewsIngskneeslide

Stephens is the new Hooiveld. Everything bad that happens is because of him, everything good that happens is in spite of him. As I’ve said before he must be the jammiest player going to be keeping all these clean sheets.
The Genius Press - MOTD on 10:27 - Jan 24 with 1121 viewsSadoldgit

The press is great when it works but there are times when it leaves us exposed at the back. Fortunately we have gotten away with it mostly so far. It also uses up a huge amount of energy and we can’t maintain it for 90 minutes. We then rely on teams not scoring from their chances which means that if we don’t score 2 or 3 in the first half it is squeaky bum time for the last third of the match. We got away with it yesterday and against Liverpool. I’m wondering if that is the reason we get so many injuries too? Also when we are tracking back and tackling, players bodies are in awkward positions leaving them vulnerable to injury.
The Genius Press - MOTD on 10:53 - Jan 24 with 1084 viewsNumber_58

I know it sounds a bit Branfootish, but the press worked so well yesterday that I actually wondered if we should be going route 1 from the back and deliberately giving the ball to the Arsenal goalie. We looked capable of scoring every time he had the ball at his feet.
The Genius Press - MOTD on 10:55 - Jan 24 with 1080 viewsSaintsforeverj

The Genius Press - MOTD on 10:27 - Jan 24 by Sadoldgit

The press is great when it works but there are times when it leaves us exposed at the back. Fortunately we have gotten away with it mostly so far. It also uses up a huge amount of energy and we can’t maintain it for 90 minutes. We then rely on teams not scoring from their chances which means that if we don’t score 2 or 3 in the first half it is squeaky bum time for the last third of the match. We got away with it yesterday and against Liverpool. I’m wondering if that is the reason we get so many injuries too? Also when we are tracking back and tackling, players bodies are in awkward positions leaving them vulnerable to injury.

I think the team is becoming more skilled at implementing the press and is therefore increasingly getting the rewards. I thought we would concede yesterday and against Liverpool but we didn't, even with Stephens at the back. I thought we looked in control too, mostly. Leipzig also played the same way and suddenly became a very good team, when they weren't so good before. Having seen Saints not beat any of the top 6 in recent years and being in relegation battles, I think this is definitely the way to play.

It's exciting, maybe more risky and requires more energy but interestingly we are also looking increasingly defensively sound, even if our main defenders arn't playing. I think "getting away with it" is possibly a little harsh as we are probably having more clean sheets now than I can remember for a while, yet we are playing a very adventurous "risky" style. I would say, on the odd occasion Spurs home, Leicester home, it can go wrong. But over the course of a season, we will get far more points and wins, mainly because we are going for it and never sitting back hoping for a draw.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 11:00]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

The Genius Press - MOTD on 19:19 - Jan 24 with 842 viewskingolaf

Arteta’s tactics were ridiculous and played right into our hands.

They needed to make more use of the pace in their team instead of trying to play like a garbage version of Man City.
The Genius Press - MOTD on 12:25 - Jan 25 with 623 viewsSadoldgit

The Genius Press - MOTD on 19:19 - Jan 24 by kingolaf

Arteta’s tactics were ridiculous and played right into our hands.

They needed to make more use of the pace in their team instead of trying to play like a garbage version of Man City.

They looked better when they made their two subs, mind you we were tiring then and they still didn’t look too much of a threat in the final third.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024