Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton 13:27 - Feb 9 with 9365 viewsGuppy22

Am I right in thinking his contract expires in the summer? Question is would you extend it now, had his critics up until Christmas and maybe rightly so, but the team now looks settled and players improving consistently, would you extend it now? My feeling is we should and let him push on knowing he is safe from getting sacked
Warburton on 09:36 - Feb 13 with 1962 viewsPlanetHonneywood

And who would we get to take over the poisoned chalice down at the Big Top?

Frankly, given all we know from the outside and that which we don’t, who’d be mad enough to accept it?

We might not have progressed as some optimistic souls would like, but the ship has shown signs of steadying. Given that we’re a calamity of a club at times and COVID, not sure what else we could realistically expect.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Warburton on 10:46 - Feb 13 with 1898 viewseastside_r

Warburton on 09:29 - Feb 13 by TGRRRSSS

I don't entirely agree with the keyboard warrior thing totally, in fact I think he uses that (the "real abuse") as a cover to try and stop others who are legitimately criticising, whilst he's absolutely right about the trolling stuff, I don't think that actually bothers him really - he's been too successful in life and worked in far too many tough environments for that, he uses that to try to stop in my opinion genuine points raised, and some of those keyboard warriors could easily be making a decent point on here, as opposed to saying you r a useless caaaaant on twitter.

That said if he's on a rolling deal, lets see how this season goes, and yes with some of the improvements recently made does give me some hope he can change things a bit when required, my fears earlier was the same errors and issues kept coming up and it didn't seem anybody was even looking at the problem less still trying to overcome it.

I also feel he can on occaison come across as a bit arrogant, and maybe pompous.

I have enjoyed some of the football under MW and I don't go and abuse on twitter or facebook or whatever but I think it's fair to say I hope he does well as our manager but I do struggle at times to warm to Warburton.

Doubtless he can live with that though.

Absolutely this.

I am not getting carried away at the moment like I wasn’t in the poor run. (I was not one of those on here calling for him to go.) However, I remain a Warburton sceptic.

I think he has got a bit lucky with a couple of player situations.

However, I want him to do well because he is managing my team. Bring on Brentford.
Warburton on 14:42 - Feb 13 with 1790 viewsWegerles_Stairs

I think he's done a decent job over the last two seasons but I am really fed up with the low expectations of our club. Yes, our wage bill is lower than the majority of the clubs in the league and until we find a new ground we are always going to be impacted negatively by FFP as we're a London club. However, we had parachute payments for several seasons and mostly wasted them. Similarly, just look at Brentford.

If we win our games in hand, we would be seven points off the play-offs. We are not playing Bayern Munich every week. Time to stop talking about us like a non-league outfit and get some ambition back.
Warburton on 14:59 - Feb 13 with 1734 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Warburton on 14:42 - Feb 13 by Wegerles_Stairs

I think he's done a decent job over the last two seasons but I am really fed up with the low expectations of our club. Yes, our wage bill is lower than the majority of the clubs in the league and until we find a new ground we are always going to be impacted negatively by FFP as we're a London club. However, we had parachute payments for several seasons and mostly wasted them. Similarly, just look at Brentford.

If we win our games in hand, we would be seven points off the play-offs. We are not playing Bayern Munich every week. Time to stop talking about us like a non-league outfit and get some ambition back.

I am surprised you feel this way. You are normally so upbeat!
Warburton on 16:01 - Feb 13 with 1664 viewsPastCaringNW2

In a pre season interview with Scottish media he expressed an interest in coaching in the US. Talked about having been in the frame for an MLS head coach job prior to joining QPR but missed out. Sounded like a firm ambition rather than a passing thing.

This was the same outlet that carried the Barton interview that pointed the finger at Warburton for being out of his depth at Ibrox. Pot. Kettle. Etc.
Warburton on 16:15 - Feb 13 with 1638 viewsMyke

Warburton on 09:29 - Feb 13 by TGRRRSSS

I don't entirely agree with the keyboard warrior thing totally, in fact I think he uses that (the "real abuse") as a cover to try and stop others who are legitimately criticising, whilst he's absolutely right about the trolling stuff, I don't think that actually bothers him really - he's been too successful in life and worked in far too many tough environments for that, he uses that to try to stop in my opinion genuine points raised, and some of those keyboard warriors could easily be making a decent point on here, as opposed to saying you r a useless caaaaant on twitter.

That said if he's on a rolling deal, lets see how this season goes, and yes with some of the improvements recently made does give me some hope he can change things a bit when required, my fears earlier was the same errors and issues kept coming up and it didn't seem anybody was even looking at the problem less still trying to overcome it.

I also feel he can on occaison come across as a bit arrogant, and maybe pompous.

I have enjoyed some of the football under MW and I don't go and abuse on twitter or facebook or whatever but I think it's fair to say I hope he does well as our manager but I do struggle at times to warm to Warburton.

Doubtless he can live with that though.

Just on your first point, To be fair to Warburton, I think he was referring more to the trolling of Lumley and Scowen than about himself. Both were shocking and disgusting imo. It looks like Scowen was virtually hounded out by this abuse. I always thought he did a decent job for us, often being played deeper than he preferred, to accommodate Luongo and Freeman . He'd be a bloody useful addition at the minute.
Warburton on 16:21 - Feb 13 with 1624 viewseastside_r

Warburton on 16:15 - Feb 13 by Myke

Just on your first point, To be fair to Warburton, I think he was referring more to the trolling of Lumley and Scowen than about himself. Both were shocking and disgusting imo. It looks like Scowen was virtually hounded out by this abuse. I always thought he did a decent job for us, often being played deeper than he preferred, to accommodate Luongo and Freeman . He'd be a bloody useful addition at the minute.

Scowen was frozen out by Warburton that is why he left. To suggest otherwise is revisionism.
Warburton on 16:27 - Feb 13 with 1601 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warburton on 16:21 - Feb 13 by eastside_r

Scowen was frozen out by Warburton that is why he left. To suggest otherwise is revisionism.

And he contributed to his own downfall by wanting to play as an attacking midfielder, which he clearly wasn't.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Warburton on 16:50 - Feb 13 with 1557 viewseastside_r

Warburton on 16:27 - Feb 13 by BrianMcCarthy

And he contributed to his own downfall by wanting to play as an attacking midfielder, which he clearly wasn't.

Brian, I really respect your opinion but I am not having that.

Warburton did not rate Scowen and did not want to play him in his first team. I don't know why exactly, he was as good as anything we currently have as the 'worker' in midfield.

I suspect it is because he was deficient in 3 key qualities that Warburton admires in a player.

1) He played for and thrived in Holloway's QPR side.
2) He did not come through Tottenham's academy despite being from deep Tottenham territory (Cheshunt.)
3) He didn't play for Warburton at Glasgow Rangers.
Warburton on 17:59 - Feb 13 with 1501 viewsMyke

Warburton on 16:27 - Feb 13 by BrianMcCarthy

Not necessarily true Brian. He played in a more advanced role for Barnsley and a goal every 9 games while hardly prolific, means he weighed in with 4 or 5 every season. I think by describing himself as a 'rat' gave us a mindset of a defensive midfielder, rather than a 'presser'. Warburton didn't fancy him that is true, which I felt was a blind-spot of his, same with Leistner. Ironically, think he would fit more comfortably into our mid-field this season than last
Warburton on 20:53 - Feb 13 with 1415 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fair enough, lads. I think I'm completely wrong on this one. Faulty memory.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/scowen-enjoying-advanced-role/

Mind you, I don't think he was a No. 10. He's not a creative player at all, and if you play that far forward you have to be creative.

Warburton on 21:00 - Feb 13 with 1399 viewsMyke

Warburton on 20:53 - Feb 13 by BrianMcCarthy

Fair enough, lads. I think I'm completely wrong on this one. Faulty memory.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/scowen-enjoying-advanced-role/

Mind you, I don't think he was a No. 10. He's not a creative player at all, and if you play that far forward you have to be creative.

Agree Scowen not creative. But if you recall, Warburton had Amos as our No 10 before he got injured, largely for his high press, not his creativity.
Warburton on 21:27 - Feb 13 with 1379 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warburton on 21:00 - Feb 13 by Myke

Agree Scowen not creative. But if you recall, Warburton had Amos as our No 10 before he got injured, largely for his high press, not his creativity.

True, but Amos is a far better player and far more creative than Scowen. When we got the ball he mightn't have been the most threatening player in the world but he was streets ahead of Scowen who is, being kind, a head-down player.

Warburton on 10:20 - Feb 14 with 1260 viewsrsonist

Scowen had been more of an 8 than a 4 at Barnsley - Hourihane had the keys to the side there at the time. He announced he'd like to stop being what we needed most and be what we needed an excess of the least under McClaren and there was a cloud over him at the club ever since, exacerbated by some rash cameos that led to his scapegoating by psychos.

Eustace made a decent case for his inclusion but I think Warbs wasn't into it because of his shonky ball retention more than anything. Being an online hate figure and Warbs-bashing tool for Ollie idpol loyalists at the same time is something of a unique achievement...

Somewhat surprisingly he's struggled to convince at Sunderland, even despite being reunited with Lee Johnson who managed him at Barnsley, but appears to have had his best game for the club yesterday.
Warburton on 10:29 - Feb 14 with 1253 viewsrsonist

Warburton on 14:42 - Feb 13 by Wegerles_Stairs

I am really fed up with [present situation] however [past circumstances that led to present situation]. Similarly, [example of a strategy that's been running at least four times longer than ours has]. Ambishun.
Warburton on 11:14 - Feb 14 with 1211 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Warburton on 10:29 - Feb 14 by rsonist

I am really fed up with [present situation] however [past circumstances that led to present situation]. Similarly, [example of a strategy that's been running at least four times longer than ours has]. Ambishun.

At least four times longer? More than two decades? Funny that Benham only purchased the club in 2012, so he's actually been there for less time than Fernandes.
Warburton on 13:08 - Feb 14 with 1116 viewsrsonist

Warburton on 11:14 - Feb 14 by Wegerles_Stairs

At least four times longer? More than two decades? Funny that Benham only purchased the club in 2012, so he's actually been there for less time than Fernandes.

So the fed up with low expectations era now includes not only the parachute payments but also the initial megaspend period. Most people are better at playing the conveniently elastic timeframe game than this.
Warburton on 17:12 - Feb 14 with 1007 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Warburton on 13:08 - Feb 14 by rsonist

So the fed up with low expectations era now includes not only the parachute payments but also the initial megaspend period. Most people are better at playing the conveniently elastic timeframe game than this.

Erm, no, you claimed that Brentford have been following the 'model' for four times longer than us. So, considering he only took over in 2012, and Hoos and Ferdinand have been here since 2015, that doesn't really add up. And I don't see why the parachute payments period shouldn't be part of the discussion as it's one of the excuses we're currently making for being uncompetitive in this division.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024