Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton 13:27 - Feb 9 with 9366 viewsGuppy22

Am I right in thinking his contract expires in the summer? Question is would you extend it now, had his critics up until Christmas and maybe rightly so, but the team now looks settled and players improving consistently, would you extend it now? My feeling is we should and let him push on knowing he is safe from getting sacked
Warburton on 10:25 - Feb 10 with 2162 viewsSir_Chops

Admittedly Warburton's apparent stubbornness got right under my skin during that winless run - but I can see how his tired cliches were most likely designed to keep the heat on him and off his players at the time. And in fairness, he didn't panic-change anything.

It's funny - reading the Jan Stejskal/Tony Roberts thread the other made me realize even the 'perfect' manager (in my eyes) Gerry Francis had his faults - bloody-mindedness, favourites, etc. - that would have bugged the life out of me if I was as old then as I am now.

Given the circumstances, Warburton has delivered all that could be expected. Probably more. I'd be looking to extend his contract if it was down to me.
Warburton on 14:27 - Feb 10 with 2028 viewsCincyHoop

Warburton on 22:28 - Feb 9 by Myke

I think if we are debating whether Warburton's personal financial worth is £20m or £50m it becomes pretty academic in the context of whether he NEEDS to manage QPR or not. Whether he would LIKE to continue as our manager after the abuse (mild here, I am sure to twitterland, which I don't inhabit) or whether we WISH to have a manager who presides over lengthy winless runs, on an alarmingly regular basis, are more salient questions.
Has he fulfilled the remit he was given 18 months ago? Lets have a look
1 Develop young talent - check
2 Expect best young talent to be sold off yet remain competitive - check
3 Operate within tight budgetary constraints - check
4 Achieve all this in the midst of a completely unforeseen pandemic -check

Has he had to be 'baled out' by 'dead-end' loan deals? Absolutely. Less obviously last season, when Wells and Hugill were there from the start of the season so felt 'ours', but clearly their goals kept us afloat last year, despite all the feel good scintillating football we played. This season, while it's early days, Austin has obviously been a positive influence, not just for his goals but his overall attitude and sense of belief he has instilled. Johanson also looks a useful addition. I don't see a problem with 'short term adjustments' in order to keep a 'long term project' on track, as long as these short term solutions don't subjugate the bigger picture.
I think we really need to stay in this division. I think the January 'short term fix' signings reflected this. But I think they also reflected that the hierarchy are prepared to back Warburton. Also, even when we couldn't buy a win (or a goal), Warburton never 'lost' the dressing room. Regardless of the result, the players worked their ass off for him.
I also think he has become more pragmatic. The accusation always levied at Warburton was that he had no 'plan B'. That certainly seemed to be the case in those dark, winless days in December, when the line-ups and substitutions were as predictable as the result. But he has shown he can change, maybe to save his job, maybe as a result of Austin's deeper link up play or maybe out of astuteness, be he HAS shown a willingness to change, personnel, formation, style , to tighten up the defence.. A new, flexible thought process, allied to his already undoubted coaching talents, could be a very potent weapon next season.
Plus this is HIS team, HIS project. Do we really want to rip it up and start again?
VERDICT: Give him a two year extension (if he wants it)

100% agree with everything you said Myke. Nothing else to add!
Warburton on 17:15 - Feb 12 with 1854 viewsNorthernr

Warbs seems to suggest here to Sean Gallagher that he's on a rolling contract, and therefore not up in the summer.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/832422/mark-warburton-exclusive-qpr-boss-cont
Warburton on 17:22 - Feb 12 with 1829 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warburton on 17:15 - Feb 12 by Northernr

Warbs seems to suggest here to Sean Gallagher that he's on a rolling contract, and therefore not up in the summer.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/832422/mark-warburton-exclusive-qpr-boss-cont

Thanks Clive. Will read that soon.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warburton on 17:35 - Feb 12 with 1798 viewsPinnerPaul

My question is, "Where's he gone" Eustace did the pre match!

Something to worry about episode 453
Warburton on 17:38 - Feb 12 with 1783 viewsdavman

I am relieved that he started to turn the corner as I really fear for us with the next managerial change. I am also pretty grateful to him for hanging around because this really is not a great squad he has at the moment.. Of the current lot excluding the January additions, only Seny, Illias, Dickie and potentially Barbet and Willock appear to be top 6 standard to me; not a lot really...

I didn't see any hope for him if the run turned into 12, 13 or 14 without a win even if it was clear that there was a lot of crappy luck in all that...

Rolling contract seems a sensible thing...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Warburton on 17:40 - Feb 12 with 1774 viewsNorthernr

Warburton on 17:35 - Feb 12 by PinnerPaul

My question is, "Where's he gone" Eustace did the pre match!

Something to worry about episode 453

He was unwell this week, not with Covid. Presume this interview was done prior to that.
Warburton on 17:46 - Feb 12 with 1756 viewsgazza1

He really is a top fella, I just do not understand why supporters want him out. He is doing a massive job for the Rangers under proper tough conditions.

I have enjoyed watching Rangers since he has been our Manager, there has been ups and downs but I that is what I expect when he has the players that he has at his disposal.
Login to get fewer ads

Warburton on 17:50 - Feb 12 with 1740 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton on 17:40 - Feb 12 by Northernr

He was unwell this week, not with Covid. Presume this interview was done prior to that.

Cheers.

Another tick in the postponement box then!
Warburton on 17:53 - Feb 12 with 1729 viewsgazza1

Warburton on 17:40 - Feb 12 by Northernr

Think I will drop a 'get well' card off at the training ground
Warburton on 17:59 - Feb 12 with 1708 viewsNorthernr

Warburton on 17:46 - Feb 12 by gazza1

He really is a top fella, I just do not understand why supporters want him out. He is doing a massive job for the Rangers under proper tough conditions.

I have enjoyed watching Rangers since he has been our Manager, there has been ups and downs but I that is what I expect when he has the players that he has at his disposal.

I'd agree with this. Don't agree with everything he does but in general a very decent job being done in difficult circs.
Warburton on 18:15 - Feb 12 with 1677 viewsLongsufferingR

Great interview. About the keyboard warrior stuff he's clearly not denying anybody's right to valid, constructive criticism but targeting those small-minded morons who are emboldened by the anonymity on social media and throw personal abuse, insults and threats around freely.
Warburton on 18:22 - Feb 12 with 1662 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Warburton on 09:16 - Feb 10 by QPROslo

For me the target has to be at the least top 6. Anything less smacks of lack of ambition and will be smelt by everyone, players included, and lead sooner or later to relegation.

Giving a manager a bottom six budget and demanding a top six finish is just daft. Nobody would believe in such a target. A league position incentive fine and momentum sometimes takes a football team to giddy heights (eg Leicester 2016) but good management will keep targets sensible.

Much in favour of Warbs staying for as long as he and the club can stand each other.
Warburton on 18:41 - Feb 12 with 1616 viewssprocket

Warburton on 17:59 - Feb 12 by Northernr

I'd agree with this. Don't agree with everything he does but in general a very decent job being done in difficult circs.

Absolutely...doing a fantastic job. Reckon we are closer to top 10 side now then at any time since dropping down. If we can keep Austin/Johansen and get Caroll/Amos fit for start of next season hopefully Bonne/Dykes/Kelman will come good and we can give top 6 good go.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 18:42]
Warburton on 18:48 - Feb 12 with 1604 viewsQPROslo

Warburton on 18:22 - Feb 12 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Giving a manager a bottom six budget and demanding a top six finish is just daft. Nobody would believe in such a target. A league position incentive fine and momentum sometimes takes a football team to giddy heights (eg Leicester 2016) but good management will keep targets sensible.

Much in favour of Warbs staying for as long as he and the club can stand each other.

Wasn't saying demand it, something you will be penalised for if not achieved, but it should be the target imo, whatever the Budget. Surely it should be the goal for any Club with any ambition about them, unless they have just been promoted and staying up is the only aim, or a Club who can go better still. Not impossible either, top teams lose to bottom teams pretty regularly, and the points difference between 7th and 19th is only 9 points now.
Warburton on 19:39 - Feb 12 with 1534 viewsNorthantsHoop

I have always rated Mark Warburton, he has had to be pretty reslilient in managing us through a difficult period and get the club on a stable footing. The football is vastly improved under him, more attractive and in the last few games looked a lot more solid. I don't think we are ever going to be tearing up any trees, but with development, careful investment and selling players that are attracting a premium, the future looks brighter than it did 2 or 3 years ago. Priority in my eyes is to remain a solid Championship club and if we do ever get to challenge for the Premier league and are successful in going up, we don't throw that solidness out of the window again. Hope MW gets another couple of years at least to continue with the project.
Warburton on 20:16 - Feb 12 with 1485 viewsMyke

It's an interesting piece Clive, although a lot of it is a re-hash of what he told you last, when was it? - September?
He clearly says he has a contract for next season, but to me if doesn't lean any more towards a rolling contract than a performance or target related contract. If it's the latter then, as I said in my longer post above, he should feel entitled to believe he will be allowed to carry on into next season. I, for one, would love to see that stability at the club
Warburton on 20:47 - Feb 12 with 1429 viewsswisscottage

Warburton on 18:48 - Feb 12 by QPROslo

Wasn't saying demand it, something you will be penalised for if not achieved, but it should be the target imo, whatever the Budget. Surely it should be the goal for any Club with any ambition about them, unless they have just been promoted and staying up is the only aim, or a Club who can go better still. Not impossible either, top teams lose to bottom teams pretty regularly, and the points difference between 7th and 19th is only 9 points now.

I think what you could say is that top 6 is a stretch target.

Just like in many jobs, you will have your objectives for the year.

Those objectives can have targets, and stretch targets.

Someone who's hitting their objectives is meeting expectations and is given performance related pay in line with that.

Someone who's hitting their stretch targets is exceeding expectations and get plaudits as well as increased performance related pay,.

Occasionally you may even exceed your stretch targets ( Think Ranieri at Leicester in premiership wining season).

Personally I think Warburton is comfortably meeting all his objectives and showing signs of exceeding them whilst not quite hitting a stretch target of the playoffs.
Warburton on 21:17 - Feb 12 with 1398 viewsGreenbay

That’s a good interview on Talksport with Gallagher.
Warburton speaks with absolute honesty.

Here are two pieces that was written on December 4 and December 24.
A long read if you have the patience.
As two months have gone by some it is a little outdated but not much.
BOS has gone, but in has come Austin, Johansen, with Field and de Wijs; lost Carroll to injury and Masterson on loan (very sensible for us - he'll be good)
I thought this was the appropriate time to rehash these two articles to add to this sensible discussion.
Someone replied at the time - 'relentless optimism'. Why not. Otherwise supporting QPR is silly. It's a bumpy ride. But let’s all be realistic and remain optimistic.

December 4
Warburton — hope he stays for years

Of course we should vent our feelings about the manager and the team - especially when we play some great football and then throw it all away.
After all we have to get rid of our frustrations somewhere!
This is a great place to do it and exchange ideas.

But to dismiss Warburton (as some have suggested especially when we lose) at the end of the season is nuts - totally nuts.
Even if we were relegated (and it won't happen) I would keep him - absolutely.
The question is - will Warburton want to stay?
He doesn't need the money. He does it cos his heart is in it.
And most of his philosophy is great.

He hasn't got the cash to spend unlike many Premier League clubs and some in the Championship.
How many of those Premier managers would survive in the Championship. Very few.
Warburton has the task of trying to spin gold from straw.

Remember when he came on board - following the disasters of previous years?
We have had huge financial problems, trying to improve a training ground, and a falling down stadium.

He was given a massive long-term task which he accepted.
1. That is - as we all know only too well - buy or hire low and sell high.
2. At the same time develop a team that is competitive at this level.

Yes let us all dream about a top 6 finish. That's what we all want but let's be realistic.

Warburton has done a fantastic job.
In just over 18 months he's had to dismantle a team - cos the wages were too high, create another last year which included loans - and we did well - and this year another new team - mainly youngsters - and we actually own them.
And in 45 minute bursts (especially the last 3 games) we have produced some of the best football that QPR has delivered in decades.

At the same time the owners have finally bought (to be developed) a big training ground.

This is not a 2/3 year project - it's a project for 5-10 years.
If we have success earlier than that - then great.
Of course we suffer especially when we play well as we did against Brentford and then Bristol City - and then lose.
But this is professional sport - fine margins.

Improvement comes by small margins.
Look at the British cycling team - a laughing stock not so long ago.
But by small margins they improved and are now one of the best in the world.

Is Warburton the man to lead us?
I believe he is. It's a long-term mission.
As long as the dressing room backs him - and we see small marginal gains then I hope he stays with us for a very long time.
This year the gains have been good.
Goalkeeper, right-back and left-back - all new (Dieng, Kakay, Hamaleinen) and progressing. Add Dickie.
We're not there yet - but we are on the right track.
Chair, Willock, BOS (until he goes) along with Carroll.
And I'm looking forward to seeing Bettache.
Then Dykes - he'll get there but give him time.
Bonne I hope and young Kelman.

We've got a lot to look forward too. And yes it's going to be a very bumpy ride, very frustrating but what we all saw in the last 3 games and in spells earlier this season was exciting and riveting.

Let's back Warburton and the team which hopefully is going to develop into a terrific side with one or two additions.

I rest my case.

December 24
Warbs time to be creative — Xmas discussion
As we all know - Warbs task is to deliver a team that we can all respect.
He has a very thin squad and there's no money.
It's an almost impossible task.
So as none of us know what goes on at the training ground here are my Xmas thoughts.
Let's be creative with what we've got.
Let's cover our defensive deficiencies and keep more of the ball and find out whether Dykes and Bonne can do justice up front.
So here's the suggestion.
Let's have three centre backs and two wing backs.
Then flood the midfield with our lone striker up front.
Here's my team - Dieng of course.
Then Kakay (if fit) and Hamaleinen as the wing backs.
The three centre-backs Masterson, Dickie and Barbet with Masterson, when he can, moving ahead of the other two.
The midfield - supported by Kakay and Hamaleinen - with Ball just behind Carroll, Chair and Willock with Dykes the striker.
Time for Cameron and Kane to have a rest, and BOS not picked for the reasons many have stated. All three on the bench along with Uncle and Bonne.
And let's give some play time for Bettache and Kelman along with Thomas.
Thoughts? But no negativity please.
It gets us nowhere so let's keep it positive and constructive.
Isn't it time for positive good cheer?
Warburton on 23:57 - Feb 12 with 1306 viewsthame_hoops

Lol I got 6 down arrows back in December, for suggesting warburton be given a longer contract. On the ‘alternatives’ thread 😊
Warburton on 01:29 - Feb 13 with 1256 viewstimcocking

I'd say he's done consistently very well, all things considered.

Some absolutely perplexing things in there too, though. Most notably his refusal to drop Dykes. That beggars belief. I'm all for backing your players, but come on. Adomah not getting a kick, Dykes on all game every game? You're fcuking kidding.
Warburton on 08:19 - Feb 13 with 1172 views2Thomas2Bowles

Warburton on 01:29 - Feb 13 by timcocking

Some absolutely perplexing things in there too, though. Most notably his refusal to drop Dykes. That beggars belief. I'm all for backing your players, but come on. Adomah not getting a kick, Dykes on all game every game? You're fcuking kidding.

No no no no no no no no no no no...

You are not allowed to question them there damn things

Der Führer must never be questioned

Nein nein nien nien nien nien nien...

* well it's been awhile since the last godwin law*

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Warburton on 08:31 - Feb 13 with 1161 viewsqueensparker

Warburton on 01:29 - Feb 13 by timcocking

Dykes strikes me as a real confidence player - you only have to watch his Scotland performances to see what he can do when he’s in the mood. He looked unhappy to me in a Rangers shirt in the first half of the season, never smiling, always last to the goal celebrations, waving his hands about when crosses didn’t come in, I don’t what was going on there, but it felt like he was in a bad place.

Since Charlie has come in his body language and effort has been v different, he’s looked much more like the Scotland player. We should stick with him. Also think he’s the type of player that would love a packed Loftus Road and would respond to it, let’s see what he can do when we’re all back and roaring.
Warburton on 08:38 - Feb 13 with 1150 viewsnix

Warburton on 08:31 - Feb 13 by queensparker

Dykes strikes me as a real confidence player - you only have to watch his Scotland performances to see what he can do when he’s in the mood. He looked unhappy to me in a Rangers shirt in the first half of the season, never smiling, always last to the goal celebrations, waving his hands about when crosses didn’t come in, I don’t what was going on there, but it felt like he was in a bad place.

Since Charlie has come in his body language and effort has been v different, he’s looked much more like the Scotland player. We should stick with him. Also think he’s the type of player that would love a packed Loftus Road and would respond to it, let’s see what he can do when we’re all back and roaring.

I agree. I think he just needs a couple to go in, a bit of luck, a few 50/50 decisions to go his way. I can think of several occasions where he's either been pulled up for a v soft foul or hasn't been given the foul against the defender when in a strong position to score. If that changes his stats look a whole lot better.

We have to remember we don't see them in training, and we also don't know Warburton's thinking about balance in the team, protecting older players etc. Dykes works really hard off the ball, which is something I think isn't always appreciated, like with Luongo, who I thought was really undervalued. If he can add a few more goals to his game, he could be a different player, and it's early days even now.
Warburton on 09:29 - Feb 13 with 1099 viewsTGRRRSSS

I don't entirely agree with the keyboard warrior thing totally, in fact I think he uses that (the "real abuse") as a cover to try and stop others who are legitimately criticising, whilst he's absolutely right about the trolling stuff, I don't think that actually bothers him really - he's been too successful in life and worked in far too many tough environments for that, he uses that to try to stop in my opinion genuine points raised, and some of those keyboard warriors could easily be making a decent point on here, as opposed to saying you r a useless caaaaant on twitter.

That said if he's on a rolling deal, lets see how this season goes, and yes with some of the improvements recently made does give me some hope he can change things a bit when required, my fears earlier was the same errors and issues kept coming up and it didn't seem anybody was even looking at the problem less still trying to overcome it.

I also feel he can on occaison come across as a bit arrogant, and maybe pompous.

I have enjoyed some of the football under MW and I don't go and abuse on twitter or facebook or whatever but I think it's fair to say I hope he does well as our manager but I do struggle at times to warm to Warburton.

Doubtless he can live with that though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024