Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evertons Owner 16:17 - Feb 15 with 4378 viewsButty101

@Solent Toffee - is your owner loading your club with debt? Or is he using his own cash.

Nick constantly referers to your owner and critises his ambition, suggesting hes not really bank rolling it, just lending the club money. The club hasnt progressed etc.

Personally i would assume Everton's fans must be pinching themselves at the ambitions the club have.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Evertons Owner on 17:54 - Feb 20 with 1121 viewsDorsetIan

Evertons Owner on 14:59 - Feb 20 by Berber

You'll have me for being lazy here. I don't think all the money we got selling to Liverpool and Man U were retained and reinvested, however poorly (without having a trawl through the accounts). The fact that there was no money in the bank is a clue. The old accounting adage, in the long term, profits equals cash remains true. And the club made masses of profit on those sales.

I‘m pretty sure she didn’t take any money out.

In fact, if I remember from my geekish examination of the accounts a while back, there was debt due to her that was converted to share capital around the time of the sale to Gao - i.e. making it even harder to take out.

Her value was in the shares and she made her money from Gao, not out of the club.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Evertons Owner on 20:58 - Feb 20 with 1070 viewsMessysaints

Evertons Owner on 11:17 - Feb 19 by DorsetIan

Djenepo is getting cut a lot of slack! 'Potential' 'player in there somewhere' (that 'somewhere' is damning) 'abilities seem unconformist'.

Or perhaps he's just not very good.

I think I'm being too harsh. He seems like an honest player, he has a lot of nervous energy, he puts a shift in. He smiles more than Boufal ever did. I try to recognise it when he does good things.

But my God he's frustrating to watch! And - for the moment at least - he is one of our squad's many weak links.

Do you have a good word about Djenepo's performance today?
Evertons Owner on 10:38 - Feb 21 with 1016 viewsDorsetIan

Evertons Owner on 20:58 - Feb 20 by Messysaints

Do you have a good word about Djenepo's performance today?

Just what I said in that previous post: He’s honest, lots of energy, puts a shift in.

He showed all those qualities yesterday and made himself a really irritating little sh1t to the Chelsea team.

He also put in a really nice turn to beat one of theirs before being pulled back, and a couple of accurate passes and decent tackles.

I would say though that in the first half hour we were once again wide open on the right hand side, where it looked as though he was meant to be picking up Alonso. (On one occasion he was left sitting on his arse again, as he was for the attempted tackle against Rashford for united‘s first goal).

And it’s one thing to energetically break up play. I am still not at all sure about his overall footballing ability.

Evertons Owner on 11:37 - Feb 21 with 1010 viewsBerber

Evertons Owner on 17:54 - Feb 20 by DorsetIan

In fact, if I remember from my geekish examination of the accounts a while back, there was debt due to her that was converted to share capital around the time of the sale to Gao - i.e. making it even harder to take out.

Her value was in the shares and she made her money from Gao, not out of the club.

Evertons Owner on 20:09 - Feb 21 with 964 viewsdirk_doone

Evertons Owner on 17:54 - Feb 20 by DorsetIan

I thought it was pretty mean of Kat to charge the club interest on loans when other owners, like Tony Bloom at Brighton give money to their clubs. He also paid for their new stadium out of his own pocket. Kat insisted on those loans plus interest all being paid back to her before the sale to Gao went through.

To make out that she has been as generous as owners at other clubs, like Leicester, Man City and Everton, is simply not true.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 20:12]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Evertons Owner on 20:48 - Feb 21 with 936 viewsDorsetIan

Evertons Owner on 20:09 - Feb 21 by dirk_doone

I thought it was pretty mean of Kat to charge the club interest on loans when other owners, like Tony Bloom at Brighton give money to their clubs. He also paid for their new stadium out of his own pocket. Kat insisted on those loans plus interest all being paid back to her before the sale to Gao went through.

To make out that she has been as generous as owners at other clubs, like Leicester, Man City and Everton, is simply not true.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 20:12]

Is anyone making out the she is generous? I was just querying the idea that she stripped a load of cash out of the club. I'm not sure that's true.

Getting your loan money back when you are selling up is rather different to taking it out when you are the owner. Otherwise, you are effectively giving the money to the new owner.

There is a note (No.21) in the 2018 accounts about £20m of loan being converted to equity. But apart from that, is this so transparent that we know what the precise terms of the deal were when Kat sold?

As far as I'm concerned, she never chose to be the owner, so I cut her more slack than most.

Evertons Owner on 20:56 - Feb 21 with 934 viewsdirk_doone

Evertons Owner on 20:48 - Feb 21 by DorsetIan

Is anyone making out the she is generous? I was just querying the idea that she stripped a load of cash out of the club. I'm not sure that's true.

Getting your loan money back when you are selling up is rather different to taking it out when you are the owner. Otherwise, you are effectively giving the money to the new owner.

There is a note (No.21) in the 2018 accounts about £20m of loan being converted to equity. But apart from that, is this so transparent that we know what the precise terms of the deal were when Kat sold?

As far as I'm concerned, she never chose to be the owner, so I cut her more slack than most.

No, not you, but Nick and one or two others try to lump her together with her father and say that we should be grateful to her. We should certainly be grateful to Markus Liebherr but Kat has made about a quarter of a billion pounds out of his investment so far. She's the one who should be grateful.

She battled several years through the courts to gain control of the club after he died. Markus placed it in the hands of his trusted friend and adviser, Cortese. It was Cortese, remember, who advised Markus to buy Southampton and Markus then persuaded him to leave his job in banking to take charge of the club.. Markus would have been quite shocked at what his daughter did.

It was very clearly stated that Markus had made provision for the future of the club before he died so presumably there was quite a lot of money set aside in his will to be invested in it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/11/markus-liebherr-southampton-fut
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 21:11]

Evertons Owner on 21:33 - Feb 21 with 899 viewsDorsetIan

Evertons Owner on 20:56 - Feb 21 by dirk_doone

No, not you, but Nick and one or two others try to lump her together with her father and say that we should be grateful to her. We should certainly be grateful to Markus Liebherr but Kat has made about a quarter of a billion pounds out of his investment so far. She's the one who should be grateful.

She battled several years through the courts to gain control of the club after he died. Markus placed it in the hands of his trusted friend and adviser, Cortese. It was Cortese, remember, who advised Markus to buy Southampton and Markus then persuaded him to leave his job in banking to take charge of the club.. Markus would have been quite shocked at what his daughter did.

It was very clearly stated that Markus had made provision for the future of the club before he died so presumably there was quite a lot of money set aside in his will to be invested in it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/11/markus-liebherr-southampton-fut

If only she was interested in football. She's the sort of billionaire owner we could do with!

Login to get fewer ads

Evertons Owner on 22:20 - Feb 21 with 879 viewsdirk_doone

Evertons Owner on 21:33 - Feb 21 by DorsetIan

If only she was interested in football. She's the sort of billionaire owner we could do with!

Being realistic about it, there are lots of clubs worse off. Probably less than 1 in 10 get a wealthy, generous owner, who not only has billions to spare but is also more interested in the prestige of owning a successful football team than in making money out of it.

Lots of smaller clubs have an owner who is a lifelong fan but very few of them are billionaires. Considering the fact that Tony Bloom is hardly in the super-rich category, his generosity at Brighton has been remarkable. Madejski was another one who bought success for the small club he loved, Reading. Jack Walker at Blackburn in the '90s was the sort of dream owner we'd love to get. But, even though they are not lifelong fans, the super-rich Arabs and Russians buying clubs like Man City and Chelsea, are in it for the sport and the prestige, not profit, the same as they are with their race horses. and those are the sort of owners you need to buy you trophies.

Leicester's Thai owners have been brilliant. You can see what owners like that can achieve with a club of our size.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 22:24]

Evertons Owner on 22:43 - Feb 21 with 865 viewsDorsetIan

Evertons Owner on 22:20 - Feb 21 by dirk_doone

Being realistic about it, there are lots of clubs worse off. Probably less than 1 in 10 get a wealthy, generous owner, who not only has billions to spare but is also more interested in the prestige of owning a successful football team than in making money out of it.

Lots of smaller clubs have an owner who is a lifelong fan but very few of them are billionaires. Considering the fact that Tony Bloom is hardly in the super-rich category, his generosity at Brighton has been remarkable. Madejski was another one who bought success for the small club he loved, Reading. Jack Walker at Blackburn in the '90s was the sort of dream owner we'd love to get. But, even though they are not lifelong fans, the super-rich Arabs and Russians buying clubs like Man City and Chelsea, are in it for the sport and the prestige, not profit, the same as they are with their race horses. and those are the sort of owners you need to buy you trophies.

Leicester's Thai owners have been brilliant. You can see what owners like that can achieve with a club of our size.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 22:24]

I don't disagree. I'm close through friends to the ongoing struggle at AFC Wimbledon, Coventry and Sunderland.

And I also appreciate that that area in the premier league between the euro places and the relegation dogfight is a pretty difficult one for any club, as apart from the (in the grand scheme of things) modest incremental prize money, the chances of moving into the euro places or silverware are very limited. So, a hard-nosed owner is going to question what they are investing for.

For me, in terms of Gao, I can appreciate that he bought a club with a recent history of buying a few duffers and that he has his own cashflow issues, but I just worry that the penny-pinching is unsustainable. I know that Nick defends the quality of the squad but I think it's now pretty weak beyond the first 11, and as results have demonstrated.

And I look at some of the teams that seemed to get themselves established as mid-table regulars - WBA, Stoke, Bournemouth, Watford - and how quickly it can all slip away pretty quickly.

Got to keep investing and improving, and if the owner can't offer that, then I'd rather hope for a better one, than to count my blessings that he's not the worst.

Evertons Owner on 09:58 - Feb 22 with 791 viewsSaintNick

Evertons Owner on 20:56 - Feb 21 by dirk_doone

Dirk I'm sorry to have to call you out on this, but you are trying to change history to suit your own agenda.

You are right she had to battle to regain control of the club, but it wasn't through the courts, Cortese did not own anything of Southampton fc , he was just an employee, one that was refusing to disclose any of the accounts etc to Kat, who was becoming increasingly concerned about the solvency of the club as its expenditure was higher than it's income and money was being wasted all over the place, including expensive legal expenses to fight Francis Benali who was only demanding rent owned, the case was settled virtually on the court steps, with Cortese having to back down and pay the court costs etc, cost the club a fortune, there were many similar cases of local businesses having to take similar action because of Cortese's refusal to pay them for work done, at least one I believe went bust because of it.

At the beginning Cortese might well have been a "trusted friend and adviser", but by he time of Markus's death alarm bells had started to ring, certainly within Markus family.

From the very start Markus said that he was going to run the club as a business, there was never any claims that he was going to bankroll it once he had put it on an even keel again.

Indeed after Cortese blew the summer 2010 transfer budget in the January of that year, there seems to have been some sort of conflict as in that summer just prior to Markus's death, we had no money to spend on transfers, he certainly wasn't going to put in more cash.

Cortese probably didn't take much persuading to leave his job, if I remember he was getting about £2 million a year plus expenses(including accommodation being paid, or not being paid ironically)

But he was not appointed by Markus as the CEO, that appointment was Andrew Oldknow, a previous commercial director of the club under Michael Wilde now working for wat could be described as a footballing estate agent, who when approached by the Liebherr's recommended Saints.

Markus wanted someone running the club who knew what they were doing, Cortese's position was Executive Chairman to oversee that the club was being run properly, not run it as you state.

Oldknow had put together a team including Alan Pardew to plan for when the club was bought, they identified players so they could go straight into action, if you think a Swiss Italian banker had heard of a tubby Scouser playing at Bristol Rovers you need to have another think.

By The December Oldknow had been ousted by Pardew who took complete charge and was now Chairman and CEO, effectively his own boss, he answered to no one except when he needed money after blowing the budgets and as he did not get any the evidence is that Markus was not bankrolling this.

Markus would not have been shocked at what his daughter did, in fact quite the opposite, he left the club to her to run, not Cortese, to my knowledge no provision of any note was left to Cortese in Markus's will, he made many claims about the "Father son relationship" that he and Markus had, but clearly blood is thicker thatn water.

Markus would have turned in his grave at what was happening at the club for the three years after his death, he would have been proud of his daughter for battling to save his legacy, you complain about Kat converting loans to equity, yet you don't mention why she had to make those loans, because of the £35 million blown on Ramirez, Osvaldo & Mayuka and the fact that the club was being run at a loss because Cortese didn't build up the commercial side of the club.

Why didn't he do that ? possibly because he didn't have a clue how to run a football club, but more that he had no affinity for the club, it's supporters, the City or it's community, he was just staying put, getting paid and trying to get as much money out of the club as he could.

He survived because he told the fans misinformation, boasted of Champions league, claimed that big clubs in Italy wanted him to join them.

You claim that Markus's would have set a lot of money aside in his will and had made provision for the club, well if you have made a will then it has to be followed, there are executors appointed to assure that the provisions of the will are carried out, Markus's family could not just scribble out the bits they did not like and when the estate has been distributed the executor's have to produce the accounts as such to show they have carried out their legal duties, if they haven't then they have committed a crime.

So to glibly claim that Markus must have made provision and inferring that his family have ridden roughshod over his wishes has absolutely no foundation, wills are public documents.

If Nicola Cortese now sat in Switzerland and fondly remembering the days when he went from being perhaps a £350k a year Financial Advisor to a £2 million a year plus expenses and bonus's Premier League CEO, was reading this post he would be laughing his head off and thanking god there were enough gullible people who let him get away with it for a while.

If Cortese had stayed in his job as a banker then at £350k a year he would have raked about £6 million or so between 2010 and his 60th birthday 18 years later, he earned about double that in about 4 years at Saints as CEO

So Markus's provisions in his will were met, he wanted his daughter to take charge of it from him, for two years she tried to do so but was met with a stone wall from Cortese, so yes we should be grateful to Kat for not turning her back and letting the club slide into financial ruin, she was determined to save her fathers legacy and did so.

Make no bones about it Saints were in deep trouble financially if Kat had walked away, but she pumped money in to cover the losses, pay the wages and then put together a team to run the club.

Sorry Dirk I don't mean to belittle you, but you know nothing about this subject, I value your views and contributions to this site, but this is one where you have only scratched the surface at what went on between Markus's taking this club over and now.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Evertons Owner on 11:22 - Feb 22 with 771 viewsDorsetIan

Evertons Owner on 09:58 - Feb 22 by SaintNick

Dirk I'm sorry to have to call you out on this, but you are trying to change history to suit your own agenda.

You are right she had to battle to regain control of the club, but it wasn't through the courts, Cortese did not own anything of Southampton fc , he was just an employee, one that was refusing to disclose any of the accounts etc to Kat, who was becoming increasingly concerned about the solvency of the club as its expenditure was higher than it's income and money was being wasted all over the place, including expensive legal expenses to fight Francis Benali who was only demanding rent owned, the case was settled virtually on the court steps, with Cortese having to back down and pay the court costs etc, cost the club a fortune, there were many similar cases of local businesses having to take similar action because of Cortese's refusal to pay them for work done, at least one I believe went bust because of it.

At the beginning Cortese might well have been a "trusted friend and adviser", but by he time of Markus's death alarm bells had started to ring, certainly within Markus family.

From the very start Markus said that he was going to run the club as a business, there was never any claims that he was going to bankroll it once he had put it on an even keel again.

Indeed after Cortese blew the summer 2010 transfer budget in the January of that year, there seems to have been some sort of conflict as in that summer just prior to Markus's death, we had no money to spend on transfers, he certainly wasn't going to put in more cash.

Cortese probably didn't take much persuading to leave his job, if I remember he was getting about £2 million a year plus expenses(including accommodation being paid, or not being paid ironically)

But he was not appointed by Markus as the CEO, that appointment was Andrew Oldknow, a previous commercial director of the club under Michael Wilde now working for wat could be described as a footballing estate agent, who when approached by the Liebherr's recommended Saints.

Markus wanted someone running the club who knew what they were doing, Cortese's position was Executive Chairman to oversee that the club was being run properly, not run it as you state.

Oldknow had put together a team including Alan Pardew to plan for when the club was bought, they identified players so they could go straight into action, if you think a Swiss Italian banker had heard of a tubby Scouser playing at Bristol Rovers you need to have another think.

By The December Oldknow had been ousted by Pardew who took complete charge and was now Chairman and CEO, effectively his own boss, he answered to no one except when he needed money after blowing the budgets and as he did not get any the evidence is that Markus was not bankrolling this.

Markus would not have been shocked at what his daughter did, in fact quite the opposite, he left the club to her to run, not Cortese, to my knowledge no provision of any note was left to Cortese in Markus's will, he made many claims about the "Father son relationship" that he and Markus had, but clearly blood is thicker thatn water.

Markus would have turned in his grave at what was happening at the club for the three years after his death, he would have been proud of his daughter for battling to save his legacy, you complain about Kat converting loans to equity, yet you don't mention why she had to make those loans, because of the £35 million blown on Ramirez, Osvaldo & Mayuka and the fact that the club was being run at a loss because Cortese didn't build up the commercial side of the club.

Why didn't he do that ? possibly because he didn't have a clue how to run a football club, but more that he had no affinity for the club, it's supporters, the City or it's community, he was just staying put, getting paid and trying to get as much money out of the club as he could.

He survived because he told the fans misinformation, boasted of Champions league, claimed that big clubs in Italy wanted him to join them.

You claim that Markus's would have set a lot of money aside in his will and had made provision for the club, well if you have made a will then it has to be followed, there are executors appointed to assure that the provisions of the will are carried out, Markus's family could not just scribble out the bits they did not like and when the estate has been distributed the executor's have to produce the accounts as such to show they have carried out their legal duties, if they haven't then they have committed a crime.

So to glibly claim that Markus must have made provision and inferring that his family have ridden roughshod over his wishes has absolutely no foundation, wills are public documents.

If Nicola Cortese now sat in Switzerland and fondly remembering the days when he went from being perhaps a £350k a year Financial Advisor to a £2 million a year plus expenses and bonus's Premier League CEO, was reading this post he would be laughing his head off and thanking god there were enough gullible people who let him get away with it for a while.

If Cortese had stayed in his job as a banker then at £350k a year he would have raked about £6 million or so between 2010 and his 60th birthday 18 years later, he earned about double that in about 4 years at Saints as CEO

So Markus's provisions in his will were met, he wanted his daughter to take charge of it from him, for two years she tried to do so but was met with a stone wall from Cortese, so yes we should be grateful to Kat for not turning her back and letting the club slide into financial ruin, she was determined to save her fathers legacy and did so.

Make no bones about it Saints were in deep trouble financially if Kat had walked away, but she pumped money in to cover the losses, pay the wages and then put together a team to run the club.

Sorry Dirk I don't mean to belittle you, but you know nothing about this subject, I value your views and contributions to this site, but this is one where you have only scratched the surface at what went on between Markus's taking this club over and now.

Your second para doesn't make sense. You say it wasn't through the courts but then describe how it was. You don't settle on the steps of the court unless you're quite a long way down the litigation process.

Do you have a copy of Marcus' Will?

Evertons Owner on 11:30 - Feb 22 with 766 viewsSaintNick

Evertons Owner on 11:22 - Feb 22 by DorsetIan

Your second para doesn't make sense. You say it wasn't through the courts but then describe how it was. You don't settle on the steps of the court unless you're quite a long way down the litigation process.

Do you have a copy of Marcus' Will?

I said that Kat didn't have to battle through the courts to regain control of the club, the legal action I mentioned was that of Francis Benali who was owed money by Cortese who rented his house and in simple terms then did things to it that were unauthorised and refused to pay Benali rent saying that the home improvements were in leiu of the rent.

It wasn't his money the club were paying the rent and also had to pay the court costs when they caved in just before the case.

I haven't seen Markus's will I was just pointing out that the club went to the person that Markus's wanted it to go to as the inference was that Kat had not complied with his wishes and it had not been invested into the club

Evertons Owner on 12:15 - Feb 22 with 748 viewsDorsetIan

Evertons Owner on 11:30 - Feb 22 by SaintNick

I said that Kat didn't have to battle through the courts to regain control of the club, the legal action I mentioned was that of Francis Benali who was owed money by Cortese who rented his house and in simple terms then did things to it that were unauthorised and refused to pay Benali rent saying that the home improvements were in leiu of the rent.

It wasn't his money the club were paying the rent and also had to pay the court costs when they caved in just before the case.

I haven't seen Markus's will I was just pointing out that the club went to the person that Markus's wanted it to go to as the inference was that Kat had not complied with his wishes and it had not been invested into the club

OK, understood now.

You mentioned that the Will was public so I wondered if you had a copy. It would be interesting to see it.

As I said to Dirk, I have a lot of sympathy for any owner who doesn't chose to be in that position. Inheriting a football club can't have been top of her ambitions and she seems to me to have tried to do right by her father and the club.

Be really interesting to know what her take is on the current situation - what happened to all those rumours of her suing Gao? Was there any truth in those?

Evertons Owner on 12:45 - Feb 22 with 739 viewsSaintNick

Evertons Owner on 12:15 - Feb 22 by DorsetIan

OK, understood now.

You mentioned that the Will was public so I wondered if you had a copy. It would be interesting to see it.

As I said to Dirk, I have a lot of sympathy for any owner who doesn't chose to be in that position. Inheriting a football club can't have been top of her ambitions and she seems to me to have tried to do right by her father and the club.

Be really interesting to know what her take is on the current situation - what happened to all those rumours of her suing Gao? Was there any truth in those?

Wills are usually in the public domain, but you have to apply to the relevant authorities to see them .

Evertons Owner on 13:07 - Feb 22 with 727 viewsdirk_doone

Kat employed one of the most expensive and most successful legal teams in the world, Allen & Overy, to help her gain control of Southampton Football Club and it was still several years after her father's death before she was able to do so. Markus Liebherr had made Cortese not only the custodian of SFC but also of his MALI companies, as he made provisions for their long-term future at the time of his death.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 13:09]

Evertons Owner on 13:18 - Feb 22 with 708 viewsButty101

Evertons Owner on 12:45 - Feb 22 by SaintNick

Wills are usually in the public domain, but you have to apply to the relevant authorities to see them .

Any saints fan, going and getting Marcus's will is properly mental and should have a word with themselves.
Honestly i dont know why nearly every week the people talk about his ownership. No one has facts its just blurred vision versus blurred vision. Being that he died no one can predict what would have happened to the club in the premiership under his stewardship.

@Nick you always bang on about the commercials and that Nasty Nick wasnt interested in it,. Ralph your beacon of how it should be done didnt improve anything. Ultimately theres a ceiling that we hit that wont be broken through.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Evertons Owner on 13:28 - Feb 22 with 695 viewsDorsetIan

Evertons Owner on 12:45 - Feb 22 by SaintNick

That's certainly true in the UK and anyone can apply online. I'm not sure it's quite that easy in Germany or Switzerland.

Unless you or anyone else has actually seen a copy of his Will, perhaps we should stop talking about what it said?

Evertons Owner on 15:18 - Feb 22 with 663 viewsSaintNick

Evertons Owner on 13:28 - Feb 22 by DorsetIan

That's certainly true in the UK and anyone can apply online. I'm not sure it's quite that easy in Germany or Switzerland.

Unless you or anyone else has actually seen a copy of his Will, perhaps we should stop talking about what it said?

As you say im not sure what the rues are in Switzerland, but we know what it didn't say and that is "I leave Southampton Football Club to my trusted advisor Nicola Cortese"

Evertons Owner on 17:09 - Feb 22 with 633 viewsDorsetIan

Evertons Owner on 15:18 - Feb 22 by SaintNick

As you say im not sure what the rues are in Switzerland, but we know what it didn't say and that is "I leave Southampton Football Club to my trusted advisor Nicola Cortese"

But according to Dirk:

"Markus Liebherr had made Cortese not only the custodian of SFC but also of his MALI companies, as he made provisions for their long-term future at the time of his death."

And it sounds like there was enough to have a legal row about.

Evertons Owner on 09:28 - Feb 23 with 589 viewsSaintNick

Evertons Owner on 17:09 - Feb 22 by DorsetIan

But according to Dirk:

"Markus Liebherr had made Cortese not only the custodian of SFC but also of his MALI companies, as he made provisions for their long-term future at the time of his death."

And it sounds like there was enough to have a legal row about.

But Cortese is not the custodian of SFC or of his Mali companies is he ?

He doesn't seem to be dong much else other than sit back and live on the money he made from being Chairman & CEO a role very similar to how Rupert Lowe was running things.

On the outside things looked good, we were getting promoted etc, but the issues Kat had were all on how the club was being run, the lack of commercial income or any sort of structure.

Anyway all of this is now consigned to history, Cortese played a part in our growth and resurgence, no one can deny that, but it wasn't the part that some would have you believe

In truth he got out at the right time, he resisted Kat for a couple of years but he could probably see the writing on the wall, he knew that Pochettino was tapped up by Spurs, he knew that several of our players were coveted elsewhere, so he got out as he knew that now he would be called to task for all his boasting of the champions league.

Those in football knew what was going on at with Cortese at Saints, they knew it was a veneer it was built on sand by Cortese who sat in an office by himself with no one close to him, departmental directors came and went in quick succession, the club had no substance

Kat knew this she knew what her Father wanted for the club and she was the one in the family that was tasked by her Father to complete his work.

I don't ut up headlines from the paper, google Cortese you will find very little after 2014, the odd interview etc, but ultimately the gist was he was a Swiss banker spending the Liebherr money and doing little to generate any commercial income, that is why Kat had to step in.

Ironically the people who Cortese despised most were the fans, he hated Southampton as an area and he had absolutely no affinity for the club or it's fans, it was just a job for him.

People say I have something against him because of our personal clash, but that is untrue, I met him only once, I despise him for the way he treated the staff at the club, I despise him for the way he treated Matt Le Tissier and Francis Benali two club legends whom he banned from St Mary's.

Liverpool are often slagged off on here, but would their fans put up with Kenny Dalglish being banned from Anfield ? for that matter would Everton fans have put up with Howard Kendal being barred from the gates of Goodison Park,

But the majority of our fans did, they ignored the situation because they had been told we were heading for the Champions League.

This is why my hackles rise when Cortese's name is mentioned, for the way he trampled all over our history and those who had been a part of it.

Dirk will always find a cut and pasted quote from somewhere, but he won't find you a quote from anyone who was there at the time, ask Matt Le Tissier or Francis Benali who were involved with the club, or maybe just believe they were a couple of ex players freeloading

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024