Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quick free kicks. 14:33 - Feb 24 with 1570 viewsBuenosSaint

I've never really understood why some free kicks have to be set up as some sort of "ceremony" waiting for the refs whistle approval.

You don't have to wait for corners so why free kicks? Surely it's the right of the possessing team to play quick if they want to. (Like hockey in that respect, or penalties in rugby?)

Poll: The Long Future

Quick free kicks. on 15:16 - Feb 24 with 1533 viewsSadoldgit

There’s a number of reasons. Ref checking the ten yard rule. They also need to take up their position. Apparently a quick free kick can be taken at the refs discretion but clearly if he has indicated that you shouldn’t take it before he has blown the whistle there is no point in doing so.
Quick free kicks. on 16:20 - Feb 24 with 1495 viewsBerber

Quick free kicks. on 15:16 - Feb 24 by Sadoldgit

There’s a number of reasons. Ref checking the ten yard rule. They also need to take up their position. Apparently a quick free kick can be taken at the refs discretion but clearly if he has indicated that you shouldn’t take it before he has blown the whistle there is no point in doing so.

This, exactly. Unless it is taken immediately almost as part of the continuos flow, the ref usually holds his whistle up and or taps it to indicate don't take it until the whitstle, else says so to the player taking the kick.
Quick free kicks. on 17:01 - Feb 24 with 1476 viewskingslandstand1

Did they not have it a few years ago where the ref asks the kick taker if he wants to wait or take a quickun? In which case he would then touch the whistle or otherwise so it's down to the defensive team to be alert as they should do
Quick free kicks. on 07:46 - Feb 25 with 1394 viewsBuenosSaint

I don't agree sog. Attacking team can ignore 10 yard rule if quick free kick advantage outweighs defenders being certain distance away.

As for getting into position, if there was no free kick he should be in position.

I know you are talking about the "ceremonial" free kick I have mentioned but this shouldn't have to wait for a whistle anyway.

Poll: The Long Future

Quick free kicks. on 09:50 - Feb 25 with 1324 viewsSonicBoom

for free kicks where the ref knows the ball is going to be put in the box he often wants to get in a position where he has a good view of where it lands. Maybe for offsides, or possible pens. So he wants time to get in position.
for shorter free kicks a ref does at least need the chance to be looking at the ball when it's taken. If he isn't then he could easily miss a rolling ball or a player that touches the ball twice. If that leads to a goal he'll be right in the mire.
I guess some free kicks are taken so fast that the ref isn't looking in the right place so he has to bring it back.
Quick free kicks. on 10:11 - Feb 25 with 1316 viewsdwayne_dibley

nothing like a quickie in the box on damp grass

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Quick free kicks. on 17:48 - Feb 25 with 1261 viewsluffy22

Quick free kicks. on 09:50 - Feb 25 by SonicBoom

for free kicks where the ref knows the ball is going to be put in the box he often wants to get in a position where he has a good view of where it lands. Maybe for offsides, or possible pens. So he wants time to get in position.
for shorter free kicks a ref does at least need the chance to be looking at the ball when it's taken. If he isn't then he could easily miss a rolling ball or a player that touches the ball twice. If that leads to a goal he'll be right in the mire.
I guess some free kicks are taken so fast that the ref isn't looking in the right place so he has to bring it back.

If a goal is scored then VAR will take 2 mins to check for the offside and penalty so no need for that one anymore. However if there Is an injury the ref does need to hold up play for treatment.
Also on an earlier point if the ref blows for a free kick then the defending team must get 10 yards away from the ball immediately or its a booking, so holding up play to make sure they are 10 yards away is not needed. So I would agree no need for the ref to hold up play. And yes tongue in cheek.
Quick free kicks. on 20:27 - Feb 25 with 1218 viewsSadoldgit

Quick free kicks. on 07:46 - Feb 25 by BuenosSaint

I don't agree sog. Attacking team can ignore 10 yard rule if quick free kick advantage outweighs defenders being certain distance away.

As for getting into position, if there was no free kick he should be in position.

I know you are talking about the "ceremonial" free kick I have mentioned but this shouldn't have to wait for a whistle anyway.

It seems to be down to the referees discretion. I have not heard any professional people come out and say he made a mistake. Anyway, we can talk about it all day long but it wasn’t given so that is that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024