Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Super League 20:44 - Apr 18 with 7026 viewsSadoldgit

Here we go then!
European Super League on 13:15 - Apr 20 with 1011 viewsBison

European Super League on 12:34 - Apr 20 by franniesTache

If it was up to me i'd kick them out the league and force their hand, it's going to happen anyway at some point and they're going to use it as a stick to give themselves more power and money in the meantime, so f*ck it, rip off the plaster and get on with it.

I am kind of excited by it , if they do go then great , Saints will survive and football in general in England could reset itself. If they stay then they will be the object of ridicule for years to come.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

European Super League on 15:02 - Apr 20 with 952 viewsSadoldgit

European Super League on 12:34 - Apr 20 by franniesTache

If it was up to me i'd kick them out the league and force their hand, it's going to happen anyway at some point and they're going to use it as a stick to give themselves more power and money in the meantime, so f*ck it, rip off the plaster and get on with it.

Couldn’t agree more FT. The trouble is the legalise. The 12 will have taken legal advice and as we speak I’m sure the FA and UEFA are poring through the small print. If the big 5 plus Spurs continue to fulfill their obligations to the FA and UEFA, what grounds will they have for expulsion?
European Super League on 15:17 - Apr 20 with 940 viewssaints__fan__73

The trouble is that without the Big 6 there is no PL as there is no billion pound TV deal. You will be left with another Championship so might as well just merge with that and try and get a TV deal on UK Gold.

The PL wanting to expel the Big 6 is an inane as thinking that Tesco might want to expel all of its customers.

Anyone who thinks that the PL is even vaguely thinking about expelling the Big 6 is barking mad. The opposite is the case, they will be desperately planning how they can help the Big 6 play in the ESL and the PL. I would imagine this would be by saying they don't have to play in the FA or League Cups.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

European Super League on 15:21 - Apr 20 with 932 viewsfranniesTache

European Super League on 15:17 - Apr 20 by saints__fan__73

The trouble is that without the Big 6 there is no PL as there is no billion pound TV deal. You will be left with another Championship so might as well just merge with that and try and get a TV deal on UK Gold.

The PL wanting to expel the Big 6 is an inane as thinking that Tesco might want to expel all of its customers.

Anyone who thinks that the PL is even vaguely thinking about expelling the Big 6 is barking mad. The opposite is the case, they will be desperately planning how they can help the Big 6 play in the ESL and the PL. I would imagine this would be by saying they don't have to play in the FA or League Cups.

I might be alone here but i say good to there not being a billion pound tv deal, and the idea of it just being "another" championship sounds brilliant to me.

If what we're left with is a league as competitive and exciting as the championship that isn't high on the drug of money, and without the overseas and local plastics or "big" clubs that kill the game.

Well that sounds like heaven to me.
European Super League on 15:22 - Apr 20 with 931 viewsBison

European Super League on 15:02 - Apr 20 by Sadoldgit

Couldn’t agree more FT. The trouble is the legalise. The 12 will have taken legal advice and as we speak I’m sure the FA and UEFA are poring through the small print. If the big 5 plus Spurs continue to fulfill their obligations to the FA and UEFA, what grounds will they have for expulsion?

The M.U.S.T met with Boris and said -

"While actions speak louder than words we were struck by the strength of commitment from the Prime Minister who said whilst he is a staunch free marketeer "this proposal itself is anti-competitive and we should drop a legislative bomb to stop it - and we should do it now."

I know you anti-Boris but both Labour and The Tories are getting behind this , if you were cynical then you would say its a great vote winner but who gives a monkies if its the right thing to do whatever your political leanings.

European Super League on 15:26 - Apr 20 with 923 viewssaints__fan__73

European Super League on 15:21 - Apr 20 by franniesTache

I might be alone here but i say good to there not being a billion pound tv deal, and the idea of it just being "another" championship sounds brilliant to me.

If what we're left with is a league as competitive and exciting as the championship that isn't high on the drug of money, and without the overseas and local plastics or "big" clubs that kill the game.

Well that sounds like heaven to me.

I quite agree. To fans of clubs like us then the best option would be the Big 6 to go and the best of the PL and the Champ to form a new league which any team could win each year.

But that's just us as fans speaking. There is no chance that the PL will press the self-destruct button and expel the Big 6. If they go it will be their choice.

European Super League on 15:32 - Apr 20 with 914 viewsBison

European Super League on 15:26 - Apr 20 by saints__fan__73

I quite agree. To fans of clubs like us then the best option would be the Big 6 to go and the best of the PL and the Champ to form a new league which any team could win each year.

But that's just us as fans speaking. There is no chance that the PL will press the self-destruct button and expel the Big 6. If they go it will be their choice.

You sure you not been getting all your info from R.A.W.K , Government getting involved , potential sponsors Like Amazon distancing themselves , this is going nowhere. You are as deluded as Ali on your picture.

European Super League on 15:48 - Apr 20 with 905 viewssaints__fan__73

European Super League on 15:32 - Apr 20 by Bison

You sure you not been getting all your info from R.A.W.K , Government getting involved , potential sponsors Like Amazon distancing themselves , this is going nowhere. You are as deluded as Ali on your picture.

They are the biggest clubs in world football wanting to set up a new mid-week league. They aren't burning babies. Despite whatever rhetoric is being spoken it will impossible to put in laws to prevent them doing this. How can you legally stop a football team from playing football games.

Once the initial furore dies down and it gets nearer to happening then there will be TV companies queuing up to show their games. However, it's not impossible that the ESP set up their own streaming service to do this or even let its teams do via their in house channels like MUTV.

Login to get fewer ads

European Super League on 16:08 - Apr 20 with 894 viewsSadoldgit

European Super League on 15:22 - Apr 20 by Bison

The M.U.S.T met with Boris and said -

"While actions speak louder than words we were struck by the strength of commitment from the Prime Minister who said whilst he is a staunch free marketeer "this proposal itself is anti-competitive and we should drop a legislative bomb to stop it - and we should do it now."

I know you anti-Boris but both Labour and The Tories are getting behind this , if you were cynical then you would say its a great vote winner but who gives a monkies if its the right thing to do whatever your political leanings.

Yes I am anti Boris, mainly because he is a useless, lying, self serving waste of space. However, he does seem determine to stop this so fair play to him.
European Super League on 16:13 - Apr 20 with 880 viewsSadoldgit

To answer the cynics who think that clubs are only against it becAuse they weren’t invited, read the statement issued by Bayern Munich. Listen to what players and managers of the six clubs are saying.
European Super League on 16:21 - Apr 20 with 855 viewsfranniesTache

European Super League on 16:13 - Apr 20 by Sadoldgit

To answer the cynics who think that clubs are only against it becAuse they weren’t invited, read the statement issued by Bayern Munich. Listen to what players and managers of the six clubs are saying.

Bayern never would've had it approved even if they'd wanted to, the 50+1 rule would've stopped it happening.

But i guarantee every single premier league club would've joined it if they'd had the chance, saints included, because the ability to guarantee £300m a season, plus future financial protection because they would never be relegated would be too much of a carrot for any of the greed teams in the english league.
European Super League on 16:43 - Apr 20 with 830 viewsTinman

European Super League on 08:52 - Apr 19 by Number_58

I get all that, but reading many of the rants on SM it appears that a lot of people think that the big 6 are actually quitting the EPL, which is not the case. To me it looks like they're replacing one mega rich elitist competition with another. And lets face it, any organisation that calls itself the 'Champions League' and invites the fourth best teams in a country to enter probably deserves to be usurped at some point.

Last sentence you wrote - absolutely agree. It has been a curious thing for years in my book - and it devalued the Uefa Cup in so-doing.

Do you remember Mourinho at Man Utd publically admitting he didn't care about league results (when a top 4 spot was beyond them) and saying the only thing that mattered to him was winning the Uefa Cup? But that was only to gain qualification to the Champions League. If we we up with a shot of winning the Uefa we would be doing our nut with excitement. To Jose it was a stepping stone - a formality to get through to get where he wanted - such contempt for a once decently respected competition.
European Super League on 16:57 - Apr 20 with 816 viewsMattFinish

Really good to see Klopp and Guardiola both speaking out about the idea.

I take it if it goes ahead they'll both resign. I could actually see Klopp resigning but not Pep. He'll take the massive pay increase under the strongest protest
European Super League on 17:16 - Apr 20 with 796 viewsTinman

2 sides to the coin with this super league (but I don't like it either way):

On the one side . . .
1. What is to stop a few teams playing each other in their own little competition - maybe the south coast clubs have a little local thing going on in the year - all a bit of fun, squeezed in between other games, maybe even go down the high street and buy a little trophy to hand out - so what? It's just like a pre-season friendly tournament.

If the 'big' clubs want to do that and take it really seriously and get TV money and sponsorship - in one way - so what? {Though it prevents money going elsewhere!}

When you put it like that, and it doesn't interfere with anything else (fixtures, or playing full strength teams in domestic games for example) - no harm, no foul. For Uefa or the Prem league of the FA to ban teams from competitions would seem a legal non-starter on that front.

However . . .

2. Can you see Liverpool playing Mane, Salah, van Dijk in the prem but then buy in other players for the super league - or vice versa? No, the teams we know now will be the teams that play in the super league and they will want to play at home too.

Saying it's a mid week competition among themselves sounds like the scenario I highlighted above, but it won't mix with the Champions League. I can't imagine playing each weekend and playing midweek games in FA, EFL, Champions league and Super League. They have contempt for the EFL as it is and it looks like it will replace their involvement in the Champions League.

They are always moaning about playing too many games (whilst individuals always moan about being rested!?) and by my reckoning, playing in the final will be game number 23 in the super league. That's more games than doing the same for the Champions league (If I haven't missed a round or 2). No, it's bound to replace things.

Even if they stayed in the Prem there will have to be more squad rotation or bigger squads or playing to less than potential (like when English Prem stars play for their country).

The Champions League devalued the Uefa Cup and to some extent the league - the prize is more so a top 4 finish in order to get into the Champions League, whilst star players in other clubs keep trotting out the line 'I want/deserve to play Champions League football' and try to get transferred. What would a super league do to this?

To let the big 6 go and/or ban them from domestic competition would indeed give others a chance, but let's say Saints have a season like we did under Koeman and we win the Premiership. There will always be that line 'but the big 6 weren't in the competition'. That might ease over time but not until we are at a stage where those 6 have long been forgotten and are as distant to the premiership as Barcelona are (i.e. no one has said of Liverpool last year - 'you only won it cos Barca weren't in it' - that would be mad).

I grew up in North Baddesley and the local team who played on the rec could, potentially, possibly, gain promotion after promotion and end up in the top league - and win it (repeat - potentially/possibly). It may not be a realistic dream or ambition but it's technically possible. The super league is a private members club. Fine if you have that from the start, but not as something to switch to after so long where teams that start as, say a Church footie team end up winning the FA Cup and playing in the premier league (rings any bells?).

And where do these clubs get off. Yes, they are historically big and successful clubs (though Man City is only recently so in my 50 year lifetime, but they are just shutting up shop on the rest of us - OK, a few clubs can get access each year, but the rest have basically said 'we are so much better than the rest of you and we want to play on our own because we don't want to get our boots dirty on your pathetic little pitches and sit in your less than 5 star dressing rooms'. It is supreme arrogance in a way. The mighty do not have to shut themselves away from the little people to be mighty - we all respect the greats who have the common touch, who have no airs and graces and don't stand on titles and past deeds. The super league smacks of the opposite. This makes them look like those celebrities who get 15 mins of fame and start acting as if they are super human and better than the rest of us.

Grrr.
European Super League on 17:23 - Apr 20 with 783 viewsUTS

Just a load of hot air as these clubs want more money from uefa and their own domestic leagues.

Poll: Player Of The Season ?

European Super League on 17:29 - Apr 20 with 775 viewsSadoldgit

European Super League on 16:21 - Apr 20 by franniesTache

Bayern never would've had it approved even if they'd wanted to, the 50+1 rule would've stopped it happening.

But i guarantee every single premier league club would've joined it if they'd had the chance, saints included, because the ability to guarantee £300m a season, plus future financial protection because they would never be relegated would be too much of a carrot for any of the greed teams in the english league.

I really don’t agree. For starters no one is interested in most of the EPL clubs but even if they were I don’t think the clubs want to see the end of competition.. First thing this morning I was convinced that this would go ahead. Having listened to the radio this afternoon and the genuine anger and opposition to this ESL plan, I don’t think it will get off the ground. Some of the players are even hinting that they won’t play in it.
European Super League on 17:46 - Apr 20 with 749 viewsPaleRider

This has been about 40 years in the making. I find it amusing that the loudest voices are:

1) Politicians - they see this issue as a vote winner but it is not the role of government to interfere;
2) FA, UEFA, FIFA - all 3 corrupt organisations see this as a threat to their money-making and to their power. The same reason for the Premier League to be against it - they lose power, influence and money. The Super League is a logical conclusion to the direction that UEFA competitions and the Premier League have been going in for years;
3) Fans of "big 6" - they have woken up to something we woke up to years ago. The fans who go to games and have season tickets, go to away games etc. are really not wanted by the clubs. This is because we don't spend a fortune in the club shops, concessions etc. Also, the clubs want to sanitise the experience. Saints management would love to get rid of those of us in Itchen North etc and replace us with happy clapping tourists;
4) The media - BBC, pundits etc. - All hypocrites banging on about greed because their place on the gravy train is at risk. They have all made money because of their greed and the greed of the Premier League etc.

In my opinion, let the big 6 join the super league and chuck them out of domestic & UEFA competitions. Then the rest of us can get on and enjoy what would hopefully be a level playing field, which is a more affordable experience for those on low incomes and which gets back some of the traditional supporters.
European Super League on 18:03 - Apr 20 with 742 viewsBison

European Super League on 17:46 - Apr 20 by PaleRider

This has been about 40 years in the making. I find it amusing that the loudest voices are:

1) Politicians - they see this issue as a vote winner but it is not the role of government to interfere;
2) FA, UEFA, FIFA - all 3 corrupt organisations see this as a threat to their money-making and to their power. The same reason for the Premier League to be against it - they lose power, influence and money. The Super League is a logical conclusion to the direction that UEFA competitions and the Premier League have been going in for years;
3) Fans of "big 6" - they have woken up to something we woke up to years ago. The fans who go to games and have season tickets, go to away games etc. are really not wanted by the clubs. This is because we don't spend a fortune in the club shops, concessions etc. Also, the clubs want to sanitise the experience. Saints management would love to get rid of those of us in Itchen North etc and replace us with happy clapping tourists;
4) The media - BBC, pundits etc. - All hypocrites banging on about greed because their place on the gravy train is at risk. They have all made money because of their greed and the greed of the Premier League etc.

In my opinion, let the big 6 join the super league and chuck them out of domestic & UEFA competitions. Then the rest of us can get on and enjoy what would hopefully be a level playing field, which is a more affordable experience for those on low incomes and which gets back some of the traditional supporters.

I am with you if they create the league they must be kicked out of the English Top League as they will not take it serious and it would be unfair for teams trying and a rival came up against Man Utds u23's or whatever mixture they would put out if they played on a Saturday between Barca the previous Wednesday and Real the next Wednesday.

What would be hilarious though if one of them showed so much disdain for the PL they got relegated :)

European Super League on 19:05 - Apr 20 with 709 viewsdirk_doone

Well, that didn't last long.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

European Super League on 23:21 - Apr 20 with 617 viewsdarthvader

European Super League on 19:05 - Apr 20 by dirk_doone

Well, that didn't last long.

Yeah theyve all capitulated . With groveling apoligies

They should all be punished . Big point reductions , fines and negative point starting positions next season

keep the faith coyr

European Super League on 06:29 - Apr 21 with 549 viewssolent_toffee

European Super League on 23:21 - Apr 20 by darthvader

Yeah theyve all capitulated . With groveling apoligies

They should all be punished . Big point reductions , fines and negative point starting positions next season

This, all day long. And the clubs and fans should accept this with the grace that was missing when this planned with no regards for the rest of us.

But this is the owners fault not the clubs or the fans fault, you can hear the argument. Happy to take the money pumped in, players bought, honours won from these owners, they should accept the consequences when they royally mess up.

Accepting points deduction and no histrionic dragging it through the courts, is the only way forward.
European Super League on 07:05 - Apr 21 with 528 viewssaintwizzler

Points deductions?
Come on.
They’d just get their solicitors to overturn it.
Look at Man City’s barring from the CL.
Let em get on with it it’ll so be forgotten by their armchair fans.
Watch SKY TV come out of this saying ‘we were against this from the start’
They would of been all over it given a chance.
All reeks of gr££d.

What’s next from The Scumbag Six?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

European Super League on 08:19 - Apr 21 with 503 viewsSadoldgit

What a spectacular backfire that turned out to be. If the aim had been to force concessions out of UEFA it seems to have left the “big” clubs in a weaker negotiating position than before. One again we see that FFP is a load of cobblers with the debts some of these clubs have amassed. Obviously Covid has played its part but the obscene amounts of money paid in wages and transfer fees is a chicken come home to roost.
European Super League on 08:53 - Apr 21 with 485 viewssolent_toffee

European Super League on 07:05 - Apr 21 by saintwizzler

Points deductions?
Come on.
They’d just get their solicitors to overturn it.
Look at Man City’s barring from the CL.
Let em get on with it it’ll so be forgotten by their armchair fans.
Watch SKY TV come out of this saying ‘we were against this from the start’
They would of been all over it given a chance.
All reeks of gr££d.

What’s next from The Scumbag Six?

Points deduction is what should happen, it won’t, for the reasons you state.

By 6pm last night I was coming round to the idea of football going back to the game we love and the fans being at the very heart of it.

Everything will go back to the status quo by the weekend, as though this never happened and we can all get back on the Pep-Klopp-Ole Sky train.
European Super League on 10:39 - Apr 21 with 441 viewssaints__fan__73

European Super League on 08:53 - Apr 21 by solent_toffee

Points deduction is what should happen, it won’t, for the reasons you state.

By 6pm last night I was coming round to the idea of football going back to the game we love and the fans being at the very heart of it.

Everything will go back to the status quo by the weekend, as though this never happened and we can all get back on the Pep-Klopp-Ole Sky train.

Points deduction by who? This has nothing to do with the PL so why on earth would they deduct points?

UEFA won't deduct point in next year's CL as it would mean their meal ticket clubs won't qualify for the knockout phases.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024