Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football Has Gone Mad 22:37 - Apr 19 with 777 viewsSaintNick

Jose Mourinho gets sacked by Spurs with his side in a Cup final at the weekend and some Saints fans call for the sacking of Ralph Hasenhuttl despite the fact that he got us to an FA Cup semi final

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Football Has Gone Mad on 22:50 - Apr 19 with 751 viewsSadoldgit

It went mad some time ago. I’m just glad I am old enough to remember when it wasn’t.
Football Has Gone Mad on 06:45 - Apr 20 with 664 viewsJaySaint

Mark Hughes got us to a semi final as well as keeping us up.
Why did we hound him out? The football was equally as bad as we are getting now

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Football Has Gone Mad on 08:31 - Apr 20 with 632 viewsSadoldgit

Football Has Gone Mad on 06:45 - Apr 20 by JaySaint

Remind us again, what was the highest league position Hughes ever got us? If you can’t see the difference between the two there really is no hope for you.
Football Has Gone Mad on 08:38 - Apr 20 with 609 viewsRon11

Football Has Gone Mad on 08:31 - Apr 20 by Sadoldgit

Remind us again, what was the highest league position Hughes ever got us? If you can’t see the difference between the two there really is no hope for you.

One difference is conceding eighteen goals in two games.
Football Has Gone Mad on 09:00 - Apr 20 with 580 viewsButty101

Football Has Gone Mad on 08:31 - Apr 20 by Sadoldgit

You are the one thats blinkered old boy.

Hughes last 15 games acquired more points than Ralphs last 15. Factor in two 9-0's and pretty awful sideways backwards football. Im coming to the conclusion its time for a change.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Football Has Gone Mad on 09:07 - Apr 20 with 568 viewskernow

Football Has Gone Mad on 06:45 - Apr 20 by JaySaint

If I remember correctly Hughes' first game was the quarter final at Wigan, a league 1 team who went toe to toe with us.
He was hounded out because we were going down fast.
He kept us up by default.
His appointment was as lazy as his so called management style.
Out of the frying pan and into the fire with all of these appalling signings, appointments and contracts.
We're still suffering the consequences.
Football Has Gone Mad on 09:25 - Apr 20 with 553 viewsSadoldgit

Football Has Gone Mad on 08:38 - Apr 20 by Ron11

One difference is conceding eighteen goals in two games.

Two games, so what? The guy who won the league and champions league conceded 7. Does that make him a worse manager than Hughes? Ralph has done well with an average squad but what is clear is that when any player from his preferred starting eleven is missing, we struggle. We currently miss Romeu. We have previous missed KWP, Vest, Ings. Ralph is not a bad manager and will go on to manage a bigger club at some point.
Football Has Gone Mad on 10:07 - Apr 20 with 521 viewsSonicBoom

I think we should keep Ralph but I certainly dont buy into the cult.

He has done ok but his lack of flexibility has been shown up. Yes he has had a lot of injuries to key players but he has pretty much tried to play exactly the same way and consequently we have been ridiculously easy to score against and beat. Our recent run is horrific. I think a genuinely smart manager would have battened down the hatches and found a way to make us hard to beat.
Of course Ralph could learn as he goes forwards but he's 50 now so he really should be the finished article. A manager destined for a top team would have found a way to get through this storm I think. Instead we followed defeat with defeat.

But as I said I'm happy for him to stay as clubs usually benefit from stability and let's face it, if RH was a genuis he'd be off to the Super League anyway.
Login to get fewer ads

Football Has Gone Mad on 10:25 - Apr 20 with 504 viewsSadoldgit

I’m not sure that there is a cult. As you say, he has made mistakes and he is far from perfect (what manager is?) but the club clearly believe in him. Could we find a better manager? Possibly but not certainly. It wasn’t that long ago that we were cra pping ourselves that he would be poached by one of the bigger clubs. We have gone from being relegation candidates to topping the league and being within a whisker of a cup final. That is progress. A little while ago we were sacking that Ralph needed backing in the transfer market. He wasn’t. Is that his fault? It is not unreasonable to expect us to be in a stronger position now if we had the money to bring in some quality in key positions in January. For me he has shown that he is worth sticking with for at least another season. We have tried the revolving door approach. Perhaps we should try going with a longer term approach. Ralph may or may not turn out to be the best bet for a long term project, but would the likes of Lampard or Howe be that much better?
Football Has Gone Mad on 10:33 - Apr 20 with 496 viewsSonicBoom

I do agree , I think we should stick with him. You're right no one is perfect and if he was he wouldn't be here long. There should be questions asked though as he certainly has not had the worst team in Saints history but he has got the worst ever results and overseen a catastrophic run.
Of course with more money he would be in a better position but then you could say that of virtually any manager.
But yes stick with him, get through the season and have a full review of what's happened.
Football Has Gone Mad on 12:30 - Apr 20 with 467 viewsSadoldgit

For most of that run there were reasons which were out of his hands, but I do agree that we show no signs currently of returning to the form of last summer/autumn. I completely agree with the review. The under 23’s got hammered 7-1 last night by a team a couple of places above them and are rock bottom in their league. Ralph’s okay book when it works is exciting, but you need the right players and plenty of quality in squad depth to maintain it over a period of time. Even the likes of Liverpool and City have found it difficult to maintain it and like tactical fads like the W formation and the sweeper system, it will be consigned to the tactical dustbin. It makes sense for all of the teams in the club to play the same way, but Ralph’s way seems to be far too complicated and unsustainable for a club like ours. No matter what system you play you can be sure that other coaches will work out a way to nullify it and the trouble with our system is that the risk is too grate once the ball has been given away in midfield. We would need centre backs like VVD to mitigate these risks. There is a lot of work that needs being done over the summer, both tactically and in recruitment.
Football Has Gone Mad on 13:33 - Apr 20 with 428 viewsRon11

Football Has Gone Mad on 09:25 - Apr 20 by Sadoldgit

Two games, so what? The guy who won the league and champions league conceded 7. Does that make him a worse manager than Hughes? Ralph has done well with an average squad but what is clear is that when any player from his preferred starting eleven is missing, we struggle. We currently miss Romeu. We have previous missed KWP, Vest, Ings. Ralph is not a bad manager and will go on to manage a bigger club at some point.

Manage a bigger club?
And will they keep back and sideways passing?
Romeu is one player- apart from that, they have a fully fit squad. Are you actually suggesting that they're struggling because one player is missing? In the last two games we have had one of the best strikers in the Premiership, Danny Ings, on the pitch. When did the ball actually get to his feet? Hardly at all - too busy 'keeping possession' in their own half or playing it out slow from from the back and almost constantly losing the ball risking disaster time and again. Ward Drowse actually passed it right back to our box from well into their half at one point.Nobody was complaining with the pressing/ attacking game, what's happened to that? It's shit to watch, and defeat after defeat is embarrassing, never mind the two 9-0 defeats, a fu cking world record. If you think that they're struggling just because one player is missing you are fu cking deluded.
Football Has Gone Mad on 14:03 - Apr 20 with 392 viewsVeloSaint

Football Has Gone Mad on 12:30 - Apr 20 by Sadoldgit

For most of that run there were reasons which were out of his hands, but I do agree that we show no signs currently of returning to the form of last summer/autumn. I completely agree with the review. The under 23’s got hammered 7-1 last night by a team a couple of places above them and are rock bottom in their league. Ralph’s okay book when it works is exciting, but you need the right players and plenty of quality in squad depth to maintain it over a period of time. Even the likes of Liverpool and City have found it difficult to maintain it and like tactical fads like the W formation and the sweeper system, it will be consigned to the tactical dustbin. It makes sense for all of the teams in the club to play the same way, but Ralph’s way seems to be far too complicated and unsustainable for a club like ours. No matter what system you play you can be sure that other coaches will work out a way to nullify it and the trouble with our system is that the risk is too grate once the ball has been given away in midfield. We would need centre backs like VVD to mitigate these risks. There is a lot of work that needs being done over the summer, both tactically and in recruitment.

Can't blame a manager for sticking to a way of playing that led to our best form for many a year and being lauded by all and sundry. He can't not have learnt a heck of a lot about himself & about his squad in the last few months though, implementing major change midway through the season with a weakened squad and with the games coming thick and fast would have been very risky. I suspect though he looks back and wishes he had. He needs to adapt and learn over the summer and we need to wheel and deal and bring in the players he needs. Going to be tough though. Frankly if he doesn't adapt and learn we'll be lucky to survive next season and I have low expectation the board would react quickly enough to replace him in time. Hoping that won't be the case though, would prefer RH at this point.
Football Has Gone Mad on 14:19 - Apr 20 with 386 viewsSadoldgit

I think both Ralph and the Board have realised that they need to find a way to improve the squad depth and, hopefully, there will be a few more options available in the summer window. Ralph has changed his stance on working with a small squad and has alluded to some transfer activity, so let’s see. Mind you, a lot will depend on what happens with the ESL. If it goes ahead and the 6 clubs remain in the EPL I assume they will be looking to have even bigger squads and will have even more money to throw around.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024