Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
the yanks 14:16 - Jul 14 with 3147 viewssaint22

They really have not got a clue have they??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57832053

the yanks on 14:51 - Jul 14 with 2490 viewsChesham_Saint

There’s nothing like generalising from the particular is there…?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

the yanks on 10:06 - Jul 15 with 2356 viewsSadoldgit

The American love affair with firearms is very strange, but lies deep within their psyche. A few years ago I spent some time in Seattle. It is quit a liberal part of the states. I went to a dinner party one night with a bunch of very liberal people (this is well before Trump became President and they would have been horrified at this). Feeling that I was amongst like minded people I steered the conversation around to the situation concerning firearms in the States. It turned out that they all loved guns, the lady throwing the party (who I thought the most liberal of the lot) proudly announced that she kept her pappy’s shotgun in the attic and wouldn’t part with it for anything. It isn’t just their love of guns though, it is the indiscriminate way that they use them. We all grew up with the cowboy movies and people riding into town and shooting it up. That kind of behaviour insnt seen as odd. I had an uncle who fought in the 8th Army in Italy in WW2. He rarely spoke about the war, but when he did he said that they were more afraid of the Americans as they were very gung ho and he and his mates were at as much risk from friendly fire as from enemy fire.
We have a problem with knife crime in this country which is bad enough, but thank God the population aren’t walking around “packing heat”!
the yanks on 11:59 - Jul 15 with 2303 viewsDellHero_Would

“Yanks” is a highly offensive term to many people across large parts of the United States. Of course you’d have known this if you’d have actually worked there for any period of time Mr22.

Poll: Wearing a mask

the yanks on 12:20 - Jul 15 with 2275 viewsdwayne_dibley

if it helps clean the genepool then they have the right

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

the yanks on 16:25 - Jul 15 with 2190 viewsGeauxSaints

the yanks on 11:59 - Jul 15 by DellHero_Would

“Yanks” is a highly offensive term to many people across large parts of the United States. Of course you’d have known this if you’d have actually worked there for any period of time Mr22.

Speaking as one of the few, possibly only, non-expat "yank" that posts here, I have never really seen anyone who finds the term offensive but have rarely heard British people use the term in person.

As far as guns, it is a complicated issue here. The majority of Americans do not even own one but support the right to be able to acquire one.
the yanks on 16:42 - Jul 15 with 2171 viewssaint22

the yanks on 11:59 - Jul 15 by DellHero_Would

Yes pal thanks
and equally its not that offensive and as someone else has posted its rarely used or as much as limeys is
Now back to your daytime TV
the yanks on 16:53 - Jul 15 with 2160 viewsSadoldgit

the yanks on 16:25 - Jul 15 by GeauxSaints

Speaking as one of the few, possibly only, non-expat "yank" that posts here, I have never really seen anyone who finds the term offensive but have rarely heard British people use the term in person.

As far as guns, it is a complicated issue here. The majority of Americans do not even own one but support the right to be able to acquire one.

Does the term offend you? If it was so offensive, why the Yankee Stadium and New York Yankees? Us British get called Brits. Is that offensive? Assuming that Yank is short for Yankee I don’t see the issue.
the yanks on 16:57 - Jul 15 with 2162 viewssaint22

the yanks on 16:53 - Jul 15 by Sadoldgit

Does the term offend you? If it was so offensive, why the Yankee Stadium and New York Yankees? Us British get called Brits. Is that offensive? Assuming that Yank is short for Yankee I don’t see the issue.

There is no issue SoGs its just another one of the__Multi_log_in brigade trying to be clever
and failing
Login to get fewer ads

the yanks on 17:11 - Jul 15 with 2153 viewsDellHero_Would

From personal experience while in North Carolina I recall an exchange between one of our group using the term “Yanks” in conversation which didn’t go down too well.

After the situation had calmed down the chap who took exception did go onto explain that not all United States citizens like being called a Yank. We all just took his explanation at “face value” and moved on. Maybe he was being dramatic or having a bad day.

This particular individual was in charge of assets across NC so wasn’t some local redneck hick in a bar. Maybe attitudes have changed since, although if you read about the history of the United States “Yank” is, or was quite a divisive term.

I wouldn’t personally use it especially in the Southern States...

the yanks on 17:29 - Jul 15 with 2136 viewsBison

What is short for Pakistani or Yiddish ?

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

the yanks on 18:05 - Jul 15 with 2100 viewssaint22

the yanks on 17:11 - Jul 15 by DellHero_Would

From personal experience while in North Carolina I recall an exchange between one of our group using the term “Yanks” in conversation which didn’t go down too well.

After the situation had calmed down the chap who took exception did go onto explain that not all United States citizens like being called a Yank. We all just took his explanation at “face value” and moved on. Maybe he was being dramatic or having a bad day.

This particular individual was in charge of assets across NC so wasn’t some local redneck hick in a bar. Maybe attitudes have changed since, although if you read about the history of the United States “Yank” is, or was quite a divisive term.

I think you would find more offence if you bandied around the term redneck in the southern states pal
the yanks on 18:15 - Jul 15 with 2089 viewskingslandstand1

the yanks on 17:11 - Jul 15 by DellHero_Would

Slightly closer to home, I was talking to a couple of Scottish work colleagues and in friendly conversation i referred to them as "you Jocks" wanting or referring to something. That did not go down well so haven't used that term to their face again ................
the yanks on 18:16 - Jul 15 with 2088 viewsBison

Had to do a mandatory risk assessment course for work and one of the scenarios is what to do if your office is attacked by an intruder with a gun or knife , the recommendation is

Run -
Hide -
Tell -

There was an extra module which only applies to our staff in the US and Canada

Fight -

That was the best advice it tells what office items you can use as weapons to try and defend yourself ( first time i really noticed where the fire extinguishers were !) . Why on earth would the UK and EU staff be told to hide and hope you dont get stabbed or shot ,and told not to fight back ?

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

the yanks on 18:46 - Jul 15 with 2052 viewsDellHero_Would

the yanks on 18:05 - Jul 15 by saint22

I think you would find more offence if you bandied around the term redneck in the southern states pal

I once called some a redneck but I think I got away with it... You remind me of a character out of Viz the 80s comic. Keep up the good work Mr22.

the yanks on 20:35 - Jul 15 with 2006 viewsGeauxSaints

No it does not offend me. I do live in the deep south, and some people here may take issue as they are still fighting the civil war and Yankee really applies to the northern part of the country.
the yanks on 22:15 - Jul 15 with 1950 viewsSadoldgit

the yanks on 18:16 - Jul 15 by Bison

Had to do a mandatory risk assessment course for work and one of the scenarios is what to do if your office is attacked by an intruder with a gun or knife , the recommendation is

Run -
Hide -
Tell -

There was an extra module which only applies to our staff in the US and Canada

Fight -

That was the best advice it tells what office items you can use as weapons to try and defend yourself ( first time i really noticed where the fire extinguishers were !) . Why on earth would the UK and EU staff be told to hide and hope you dont get stabbed or shot ,and told not to fight back ?

A fire extinguisher against an AK47? I think I’d leg it!
the yanks on 12:27 - Jul 16 with 1846 viewsdwayne_dibley

working with a crowd of Australian engineers on a defence contract on the South Coast I got fed up with their constant "pommey bashing".

So to make the peace I mentioned that I thought Australians were wonderful but thought the white settler offspring were pretentious t0ssers

Went down well

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

the yanks on 12:49 - Jul 16 with 1829 viewsNYC_Saint

the yanks on 16:42 - Jul 15 by saint22

Yes pal thanks
and equally its not that offensive and as someone else has posted its rarely used or as much as limeys is

I lived here for 16 years and never once been called a limey. True to the only fools and horse xmas special however I am more often than not asked what part of Australia I'm from...
the yanks on 14:00 - Jul 16 with 1808 viewsSadoldgit

the yanks on 12:49 - Jul 16 by NYC_Saint

I lived here for 16 years and never once been called a limey. True to the only fools and horse xmas special however I am more often than not asked what part of Australia I'm from...

I was asked the same question several times in Los Angeles. In Seattle they just went with “ so you are from out of town?”
the yanks on 02:15 - Jul 17 with 1732 viewskernow

the yanks on 16:25 - Jul 15 by GeauxSaints

"Ever since the British
Burned the White House down
There's a bleeding wound
In the heart of town."

Better to have and not need
Than to need and not have.
I've often heard said.
the yanks on 09:10 - Jul 17 with 1683 viewsRon11

the yanks on 12:27 - Jul 16 by dwayne_dibley

working with a crowd of Australian engineers on a defence contract on the South Coast I got fed up with their constant "pommey bashing".

So to make the peace I mentioned that I thought Australians were wonderful but thought the white settler offspring were pretentious t0ssers

Went down well

When I worked with them I informed them that they were all the real 'prisoners of mother England' (POMS) because all their ancestors were criminals who had been shipped out there to remove their bad influence and activity from these shores.
The quite enjoyed the banter, they like a Pom who fights back and doesn't whine.
And while we're at it, I could drink most of them under the table, too.
the yanks on 09:12 - Jul 17 with 1682 viewsRon11

the yanks on 16:42 - Jul 15 by saint22

Yes pal thanks

Why do you feel it necessary to make the comment 'now back to your daytime TV'?
How patronising and offensive is that?
the yanks on 09:30 - Jul 17 with 1674 viewsDellHero_Would

the yanks on 09:12 - Jul 17 by Ron11

Why do you feel it necessary to make the comment 'now back to your daytime TV'?
How patronising and offensive is that?

I just thought I’d share an experience I had with the word Yank being used in the real world as the lad obviously didn’t have a clue about the meaning behind it.

As for being offended, I just laughed at him as everyone does on here. Anyway...I’ll get back to by 3 week tour of the NC500 which is very enjoyable I must say.

the yanks on 09:31 - Jul 17 with 1669 viewsRon11

the yanks on 18:15 - Jul 15 by kingslandstand1

Slightly closer to home, I was talking to a couple of Scottish work colleagues and in friendly conversation i referred to them as "you Jocks" wanting or referring to something. That did not go down well so haven't used that term to their face again ................

I think you'll find that with nationalities that have travelled the outside world a bit, terms like Jock become an endearment rather than an insult.
I've worked with Scots for many years abroad in Oil & Gas, and most are proud to be 'Jocks' and refer to themselves as such. Also 'sweaty sock', 'porridge gobbler' etc was /is taken as banter - with replies such as 'cockney w*nker' 'teesside tossbag' 'carrot cruncher' 'fluid druid' 'dog buggerer' etc. etc.
Regarding Yanks - 'septic tanks', 'gobshites', and (from Louisiana) coon asses, were taken as banter and returned with the routine 'limey' name tag, again just banter rarely with any malice.
Other nationalities were/are 'cloggies', 'frogs', 'yarpies','krauts', 'eyeties', and a notable machinist in Libya (who brewed great wine) who was happy to be known as 'Paki Charlie' and whom everybody loved even when his curry gave everybody the shits.
I especially enjoyed the banter with the Germans, 'for you Tommy ze war is over' firing back with 'we'll push you back to the Med' etc.
But in the UK, even 'jocks' is offensive
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 9:32]
the yanks on 09:41 - Jul 17 with 1653 viewsSadoldgit

It is often how the word is used Ron. It’s not difficult to tell if the term is used in jest or as a pejorative put down. For terms about the war though, I can see how they can be distressing and not found funny in these more enlightened times. Time to move on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024