Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! 08:35 - Oct 31 with 8560 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/56144/russell-martin-‘

Haynesy’s hairdryer click above
Subscribe to us on Twitter below

This post has been edited by an administrator
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:17 - Oct 31 with 636 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:09 - Oct 31 by ItchySphincter

At the risk of overshadowing the writer’s excellent piece, which is not something I want to do, I am addressing only one point in your post, and that is that Martin has changed tactics - he hasn’t, we’re just getting better at what we do, as he and many others said we would in time. We still play passing football, we still dominate possession. Most of us realised we needed to get the ball forward quicker, but evolution not revolution, some wanted the failed pragmatism and long long ball of Cooperball. Thank God we didn’t get the latter.

Welcome Russ.

You can address it if you like, but you won’t be correct of course.

I have shown in great detail how the style has changed. Dramatically too.

Having possession and passing doesn’t mean it’s the same style. We passed and had possession under both Rodgers and Laudrup, however the styles were very different.

Surely your football analysis goes further than “we still have possession and we pass so it’s the same”. It’s not.

It has nothing to do with Cooper, and we weren’t long ball under him either. Your post I’m afraid makes very little sense.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:23 - Oct 31 with 635 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:13 - Oct 31 by Dr_Winston

"Players getting better at a system the more they play it" shock.

This.

We read the phrase its not rocket science regular on this board but if you googled the phrase then this example should be under it when doing so.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:24 - Oct 31 with 621 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:11 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

Are you still keeping the passing stats thing up to date? 20 off the magical 800 I think yesterday.

Also, you’re more clued up on the stats than me, what is classed as a “long ball”, assuming hamer’s switches to laird etc would be classed as “long”.

I don’t disagree he’s eased up on certain things, noticed yesterday we were putting corners into six yard box and not persisting with the short.

Whenever they are needed to make a point I work them out.

Yesterday was very much plan A, I’ve said that many times and even said it during the game. I think it was around 6% long.

But that does appear to be as a result of us scoring very early, from a long and direct ball to Laird. After that we were able to play short passes to bring them out of their positions, positions they wouldn’t necessarily have come out from had we not had the lead.

He has certainly changed the style, not even questionable. He is playing a mixed game now in general where as before it seemed he would rather lose if it meant we had to move away from short balls at all costs.

We know knock balls over the top, knock them into the channel and we look far more dangerous for it. Why people are trying to make out like the people that correctly noted that (that was essentially 90% of the early complaints) were out of order is beyond me. Martin seems to agree, so not sure why others find it so hard to.

Not sure what is classed as a long ball for registering purposes. Will be some distance threshold, what the specific threshold is I’m not sure. Something like 15 yards would be my guess, but that’s a pure guess. That ball to Laird will certainly have been classed as a long ball for the first goal.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:26 - Oct 31 with 626 viewsOptimisticJack

Excellent article.
When Russell Martin was first muted as our likely new manager I was excited having looked into his background and philosophies.
He couldn't have had a more difficult start.
The Championship is a punishing league and the first few weeks were difficult with games coming along in quick succession and little time for Martin to impose his ideas on the training ground.
This season for the first time I have welcomed the international breaks knowing it would give Russell Martin more time to work with his players on the training ground.
After each break we have got better and better.
Our football is now lovely on the eye and the icing on the cake are the goals being scored.
I'm enjoying watching us play once again.
It is still work in progress but let's all enjoy the ride.

Optimisticjack

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:27 - Oct 31 with 622 viewsCatullus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:17 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

You can address it if you like, but you won’t be correct of course.

I have shown in great detail how the style has changed. Dramatically too.

Having possession and passing doesn’t mean it’s the same style. We passed and had possession under both Rodgers and Laudrup, however the styles were very different.

Surely your football analysis goes further than “we still have possession and we pass so it’s the same”. It’s not.

It has nothing to do with Cooper, and we weren’t long ball under him either. Your post I’m afraid makes very little sense.

You're wrong about Cooper, for the last 3/4 months we were very much a long ball team, we'd sit back and try to soak up pressure before hitting long balls that Ayew and Lowe could hopefully get something out of. That was why our results dipped and in the end we were probably quite lucky to make the play offs. From January on we got progressively worse to the point where people on here were calling ourselves a long ball team.

Over 700 accurate passes yesterday, how many were long balls? We are a possession based team but that doesn't rule out long balls and in some games, like WBA, we'll see more long balls because it is tactically sound. WBA played such a high line it was obvious a few long balls would catch them out.
How many pundits this season are going to call us a long ball team? None would be a good guess. It doesn't mean we don't use long balls it just means they are a very small percentage of our passing stats.

You did like to go into great detail, you used to post stats for everything, until we improved, until we started winning. I haven't seen any stats laden posts from you in the last 4/5 games, why is that? is it because the stats now show the improvement?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:29 - Oct 31 with 617 viewsraynor94

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:10 - Oct 31 by onehunglow

He IS God .

HE was criticised over team performances and result.

Nothing personal at all and Im astounded to see what I am reading here.

People now taking time out to settle some scores.

Have a good day

Come on now, your memory is not that bad, did you not call him a sh**ehouse? Seems pretty personal to me.

You haven't been happy with him from day 1, and were never prepared to give him a fair crack of the whip

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:30 - Oct 31 with 618 viewsmagicdaps10

Back to the OP.

I was one who had patience and understood we had to give him time.

So I will put my finger up for that.

☝️

I called it.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:39 - Oct 31 with 592 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:24 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

Whenever they are needed to make a point I work them out.

Yesterday was very much plan A, I’ve said that many times and even said it during the game. I think it was around 6% long.

But that does appear to be as a result of us scoring very early, from a long and direct ball to Laird. After that we were able to play short passes to bring them out of their positions, positions they wouldn’t necessarily have come out from had we not had the lead.

He has certainly changed the style, not even questionable. He is playing a mixed game now in general where as before it seemed he would rather lose if it meant we had to move away from short balls at all costs.

We know knock balls over the top, knock them into the channel and we look far more dangerous for it. Why people are trying to make out like the people that correctly noted that (that was essentially 90% of the early complaints) were out of order is beyond me. Martin seems to agree, so not sure why others find it so hard to.

Not sure what is classed as a long ball for registering purposes. Will be some distance threshold, what the specific threshold is I’m not sure. Something like 15 yards would be my guess, but that’s a pure guess. That ball to Laird will certainly have been classed as a long ball for the first goal.

Well the style hasn’t really changed, it’s still short passing but difference being for me is Laird, genuine attacking wing back, most long balls I am seeing are aimed at him and I think if we had signed Lowe we would have seen a few more other side.

780 passes yesterday, 92% accuracy I think I saw, it’s brilliant stuff at present and long may it continue. We will only get better as Martin brings in players more suited.
Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:40 - Oct 31 with 592 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:29 - Oct 31 by raynor94

Come on now, your memory is not that bad, did you not call him a sh**ehouse? Seems pretty personal to me.

You haven't been happy with him from day 1, and were never prepared to give him a fair crack of the whip

Think he even called for him to be replaced after a handful of games because it wasn't working.

I think it just went to that because there was another 2/3 who were on board to knocking Martin at that early stage... Think it was a case a big call could be put out there knowing there would be a bit of back up from those posters.

Its been totally mind boggling, really has!

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:40 - Oct 31 with 590 viewsGwyn737

A beautifully written piece. Thank you.

We all have different opinions in football as in life, but I think it’s worth noting that there isn’t a right or wrong way to play football. We will all enjoy different elements.

For me, I’m really enjoying this season. I enjoy football for the emotion, for the hope that’s only possible by having the accompanying lows.

I didn’t enjoy the last two seasons. I was bored. I watched us on the TV with a paper or an iPad next to me reading/surfing.

If you loved it. Good for you. Who am I to tell you what you should like 🤷🏻
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:41 - Oct 31 with 589 viewsFireboy2

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:32 - Oct 31 by Dr_Winston

It still needs to be understood that a lot, perhaps the majority of the "negative" comments aren't made because the poster involved genuinely believes it. It's just the best way to provoke a reaction. That's all they're intended to do. It's how these weirdos get their kicks, and always have done.

You'll still have people like Perchy who thrives on misery and chucks his toys out of the pram any time someone calls him on it (like in this very thread), but the genuine cases are few and far between.

This big style.

They only crawl out of their lairs when we lose.

As you say winny the weirdos only post to get a kick, sad, very very sad really when they should be supporting the team they are supposed to love.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:42 - Oct 31 with 588 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:39 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

Well the style hasn’t really changed, it’s still short passing but difference being for me is Laird, genuine attacking wing back, most long balls I am seeing are aimed at him and I think if we had signed Lowe we would have seen a few more other side.

780 passes yesterday, 92% accuracy I think I saw, it’s brilliant stuff at present and long may it continue. We will only get better as Martin brings in players more suited.

And players familiarise themselves to Martin's style, a style that is now coming into place from his plans and not from taking advice from someone on planetswans 😂

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:45 - Oct 31 with 582 viewsTreforys_Jack

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:26 - Oct 31 by OptimisticJack

Excellent article.
When Russell Martin was first muted as our likely new manager I was excited having looked into his background and philosophies.
He couldn't have had a more difficult start.
The Championship is a punishing league and the first few weeks were difficult with games coming along in quick succession and little time for Martin to impose his ideas on the training ground.
This season for the first time I have welcomed the international breaks knowing it would give Russell Martin more time to work with his players on the training ground.
After each break we have got better and better.
Our football is now lovely on the eye and the icing on the cake are the goals being scored.
I'm enjoying watching us play once again.
It is still work in progress but let's all enjoy the ride.

This is exactly how i feel as well.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:45 - Oct 31 with 582 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:41 - Oct 31 by Fireboy2

This big style.

They only crawl out of their lairs when we lose.

As you say winny the weirdos only post to get a kick, sad, very very sad really when they should be supporting the team they are supposed to love.

Don't now.... We are only playing well because Martin took the advice to start playing long balls from posters on Planetswans!

It wasn't his plan from day 1 and he only changed it because it wasn't working after a handful of games.....obviously after an evening reading planetswans posts.

😂😂😂

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:45 - Oct 31 with 575 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:27 - Oct 31 by Catullus

You're wrong about Cooper, for the last 3/4 months we were very much a long ball team, we'd sit back and try to soak up pressure before hitting long balls that Ayew and Lowe could hopefully get something out of. That was why our results dipped and in the end we were probably quite lucky to make the play offs. From January on we got progressively worse to the point where people on here were calling ourselves a long ball team.

Over 700 accurate passes yesterday, how many were long balls? We are a possession based team but that doesn't rule out long balls and in some games, like WBA, we'll see more long balls because it is tactically sound. WBA played such a high line it was obvious a few long balls would catch them out.
How many pundits this season are going to call us a long ball team? None would be a good guess. It doesn't mean we don't use long balls it just means they are a very small percentage of our passing stats.

You did like to go into great detail, you used to post stats for everything, until we improved, until we started winning. I haven't seen any stats laden posts from you in the last 4/5 games, why is that? is it because the stats now show the improvement?

Incorrect. I did the stats last year. 14% it was from memory, maybe slightly less. That is similar to what we have seen recently under Martin, 12.5% was the average in our wins previous to yesterday.

6% long balls yesterday, that was very much an exception to the trend we have seen in our upturn of form. We have been seeing double that, again I think that was the result of scoring in the first two minutes and using that to draw them out.

At the beginning of the season the opposition or situation didn’t matter, long balls or direct tactics were not deployed or even attempted. Even when it was clearly needed. That’s where the main change has come from.

I use stats to show things I’m discussing when some disagree, I use them to demonstrate my points. When we win, we all agree we played well so the stats aren’t needed to show anything. Of course we are improving, that’s great.

But we are improving because we are going more direct, and I have shown that as recently as last week. From 4% average long balls to 12%, it’s tripled.

You are looking for conflict in an empty room. And making yourself look silly in the process, enjoy the win and calm down.

These witch hunts after every time we win is bizarre.

I repeat, those who criticised at the start were absolutely correct to do so and I will defend them to the hilt and won’t have any revision of history.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 10:46]

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:49 - Oct 31 with 572 viewsBadlands

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:24 - Oct 31 by onehunglow

So now ANY criticism is clearly stamped upon.
As you were then.
Thought ALL opinions were welcomed.
It says so on the tin.

Funny that, I and others was / were routinely abused for daring to Criticise Cooper and his style of play.
In the 2019 - 20 season our home results with attendances after a flying 3 win start we managed just one win for the rest of the year. All boring affairs. Cooper always blaming other factors for the defeats.
We have won four home games in a row (losing only one of eight), something Cooper failed to achieve.
That is why Potter and I think (if we keep up current form and don't implode) Martin will be better liked Cooper and the football appreciated. Home is where the vast majority of supporters see live games and that is what we base our enjoyment of games on.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:49 - Oct 31 with 567 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:42 - Oct 31 by magicdaps10

And players familiarise themselves to Martin's style, a style that is now coming into place from his plans and not from taking advice from someone on planetswans 😂

I’d imagine it has come from a collaboration of himself, the players and the analysts who’s job it is to provide him with the kind of stats and analysis you are so lucky to receive from me… as opposed to listening to someone on planetswans.

What he was doing wasn’t working, we were getting battered. The change was obvious to anyone with half a footballing brain cell, confirmed by data. Thankfully those who pointed that out, as well as Martin and those at the club have far more nouse than those that denied anything was the issue and “time will make it work”.

Time doesn’t make it work, changes do.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:50 - Oct 31 with 571 viewsTreforys_Jack

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:40 - Oct 31 by Gwyn737

A beautifully written piece. Thank you.

We all have different opinions in football as in life, but I think it’s worth noting that there isn’t a right or wrong way to play football. We will all enjoy different elements.

For me, I’m really enjoying this season. I enjoy football for the emotion, for the hope that’s only possible by having the accompanying lows.

I didn’t enjoy the last two seasons. I was bored. I watched us on the TV with a paper or an iPad next to me reading/surfing.

If you loved it. Good for you. Who am I to tell you what you should like 🤷🏻

Nicely worded, and your last sentence is of course correct, too many will insist your wrong though. Some very narcissistic posters on here.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:51 - Oct 31 with 562 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:50 - Oct 31 by Treforys_Jack

Nicely worded, and your last sentence is of course correct, too many will insist your wrong though. Some very narcissistic posters on here.

Agreed.

The amount of abuse I have heard to those that put importance on results has been shocking.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:56 - Oct 31 with 562 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:59 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

Correct, some of the worst performances we have seen in years have been on show this season. I still maintain the Luton first half was the worst half of football in the last decade or longer.

Criticism was absolutely deserving, the points raised were absolutely valid and of course have now been proven correct. We now are far more pragmatic than when he first came, we may be able to go back to plan A if we score early to frustrate them, but starting with that against good sides is suicide and that has been proven time and time again.

It’s worth nothing that many people aren’t commenting how great everything is because they genuinely believe it, they are doing it to justify their comments last season. Which is why we had “10 games” turn into “a whole season of transition”, when things were really looking bad.

Football is a very predictable thing with regards to fans. When the team plays well they are praised, when they don’t then they aren’t. It’s the normal reaction.

Turning Martin into a demigod however is something I will never get on board with where he is immune from criticism and any obvious errors are folded into the “all part of the plan” cake.

Say it as it is, stop pretending. As a fan base we will be far more footballing intelligent for it.

Hang on you said Plan A had been ditched and anyone with a football brain knows that numbers between 4% and 7% are ridiculous, we had 6% yesterday and won 3-0 but that one will be airbrushed out is it??

Fair bloody play.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:05 - Oct 31 with 546 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:56 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

Hang on you said Plan A had been ditched and anyone with a football brain knows that numbers between 4% and 7% are ridiculous, we had 6% yesterday and won 3-0 but that one will be airbrushed out is it??

Fair bloody play.

Why do we have to hang on? That’s been addressed many times.

The 4% long, short passing games have absolutely been ditched and the more direct and mixed attacking game is what has been the big driving force in our upturn in results and performances.

Yesterday was very much a Plan A performance, 6% long, that’s extremely low still. Nothing is airbrushed but think that will certainly be the exception as opposed to the rule, I think it was a product of scoring early which allowed it. I will be stunned if we see anything like 5%-6% next game (assuming we don’t score in the first minute or two again that is).

We have been through this already, though.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:06 - Oct 31 with 543 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:05 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

Why do we have to hang on? That’s been addressed many times.

The 4% long, short passing games have absolutely been ditched and the more direct and mixed attacking game is what has been the big driving force in our upturn in results and performances.

Yesterday was very much a Plan A performance, 6% long, that’s extremely low still. Nothing is airbrushed but think that will certainly be the exception as opposed to the rule, I think it was a product of scoring early which allowed it. I will be stunned if we see anything like 5%-6% next game (assuming we don’t score in the first minute or two again that is).

We have been through this already, though.

You said the plan had been well and truly ditched?

<<However, surprising it most certainly isn't and instead entirely expected. Nobody with an ounce of a footballing brain would agree to it, because it clearly will never happen again now the style has changed>>
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:08 - Oct 31 with 539 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:11 - Oct 31 by 34dfgdf54

Are you still keeping the passing stats thing up to date? 20 off the magical 800 I think yesterday.

Also, you’re more clued up on the stats than me, what is classed as a “long ball”, assuming hamer’s switches to laird etc would be classed as “long”.

I don’t disagree he’s eased up on certain things, noticed yesterday we were putting corners into six yard box and not persisting with the short.

Peterborough had a very small team. They had one centre back who was a decent height and that Johnson up my Harris guy who came on was quite big. There’s no point launching corners in against teams like Cardiff and West Brom.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:11 - Oct 31 with 526 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:49 - Oct 31 by Badlands

Funny that, I and others was / were routinely abused for daring to Criticise Cooper and his style of play.
In the 2019 - 20 season our home results with attendances after a flying 3 win start we managed just one win for the rest of the year. All boring affairs. Cooper always blaming other factors for the defeats.
We have won four home games in a row (losing only one of eight), something Cooper failed to achieve.
That is why Potter and I think (if we keep up current form and don't implode) Martin will be better liked Cooper and the football appreciated. Home is where the vast majority of supporters see live games and that is what we base our enjoyment of games on.

Potter won’t be at Brighton much longer.

What a job the guy is doing there. As expected though.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 11:12 - Oct 31 with 523 viewsvetchonian

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:49 - Oct 31 by Badlands

I think you need to go and check your facts...again...yet more myths.
Between the start of the season and the end of 2020 we actually won 10 out of 25 games played drew 8 and lost 7
I dont understand why folks want to rewrite history and they wonder when I post about what happened as they clearly failed to grasp reality at the time

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024