Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Train System Is Chaotic 09:38 - Oct 31 with 1970 viewsSaintNick

Why didn't they use the lockdown to repair the train system, yesterday's trip to Watford was chaos , buses between Southampton & Eastleigh and the line between Clapham and Watford also shut.

The 9.05 from Waterloo would normally get into Southampton about 10.25 it was about 11.15 before I stepped off the bus at Central.

Getting a bus at Eastleigh was utter confusion, not railway staff directing passengers, one bus with an indifferent driver refusing to let people on then another turning up and a mad dash to get on it and packed with people having to stand up and also sit on the stairs etc.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Train System Is Chaotic on 08:53 - Nov 1 with 432 viewssaint22

Train System Is Chaotic on 16:36 - Oct 31 by GasGiant

The HS2 trains will run to 25 locations not 2. NPR (or HS3 if you prefer) is predicated on infrastructure provided by HS2 and will not happen without it so not sure how you think HS3 is going to achieve anything with no new stations. . HS2 also displaces 12 paths per hour out of Euston, some of which may have eased the journey to Watford. You don't know the programme. I worked on the WCML modernisation programme back in the early 2000s and have been in touch with HS2 since then. I don't think you know anything about the programme at all, although you seem to think if you repeat fallacies and misconceptions often enough it makes them true.

What I do know is that 100bn could be spent on far more urgent issues in this country like upgrading the existing network - properly - the NHS, education, welfare etc etc and not lining board members and shareholders pockets whilst ruining the countryside too

I don't need to work in the rail business to know that pal
FACT
Train System Is Chaotic on 09:25 - Nov 1 with 410 viewsGasGiant

Train System Is Chaotic on 08:53 - Nov 1 by saint22

What I do know is that 100bn could be spent on far more urgent issues in this country like upgrading the existing network - properly - the NHS, education, welfare etc etc and not lining board members and shareholders pockets whilst ruining the countryside too

I don't need to work in the rail business to know that pal
FACT

The HS2 programme creates, upgrades, enhances and integrates a number of existing and new infrastructure solutions along its full length including a great many "classic rail" bottlenecks that could not be fixed without it, one of which you even mentioned in your rather silly polemic. Station capacity is one of the greatest constraints to all existing network proposals - you cannot begin to fix them without doing a lot of the things that HS2 is providing (and paying for). Name one single network upgrade issue and we can examine the issues and constraints - not everything is addressed by HS2 but there are other capital programmes that are prerequisite to almost all smaller schemes even down here in the south. Your last sentence is so childish it does not even warrant a reply, though I would point out that HS2 has created more spaces for diverse wildlife than actually existed before it - there are plenty of green spaces consumed in all our towns including round Hampshire that do nothing of the kind. HS2 creates a model of how things should be done. It is not possible to force people to read up on a subject but I would expect even an idiot to realise it was in his best interests to do so. I don't work exclusively in the rail business but I still know about it.
Train System Is Chaotic on 09:51 - Nov 1 with 398 viewssaints__fan__73

I thought Covid had put an end to The Public's Transport? Just get in a car and drive to Watford, it's not that far away....

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Train System Is Chaotic on 11:07 - Nov 1 with 379 viewsSadoldgit

Train System Is Chaotic on 09:25 - Nov 1 by GasGiant

The HS2 programme creates, upgrades, enhances and integrates a number of existing and new infrastructure solutions along its full length including a great many "classic rail" bottlenecks that could not be fixed without it, one of which you even mentioned in your rather silly polemic. Station capacity is one of the greatest constraints to all existing network proposals - you cannot begin to fix them without doing a lot of the things that HS2 is providing (and paying for). Name one single network upgrade issue and we can examine the issues and constraints - not everything is addressed by HS2 but there are other capital programmes that are prerequisite to almost all smaller schemes even down here in the south. Your last sentence is so childish it does not even warrant a reply, though I would point out that HS2 has created more spaces for diverse wildlife than actually existed before it - there are plenty of green spaces consumed in all our towns including round Hampshire that do nothing of the kind. HS2 creates a model of how things should be done. It is not possible to force people to read up on a subject but I would expect even an idiot to realise it was in his best interests to do so. I don't work exclusively in the rail business but I still know about it.

I was firmly in the waste of money camp but thank you for putting the positive side of this project across. I had only seen the negative stuff before. I think part of the problem is we see a huge amount of money spent on this when there are so many problems elsewhere. In an ideal world we would find the cash to spend on rebuilding the infrastructure across the board. I’m all for levelling up but when the major house building programmes are being forced through in the SE we need the infrastructure here to deal with the following increase in population. Kent is being concreted over at a rate of knots but we don’t have the schools, doctors surgeries, hospitals, road, rail or train structures to deal with the new housing programmes.
Train System Is Chaotic on 14:46 - Nov 1 with 334 viewsGasGiant

Train System Is Chaotic on 11:07 - Nov 1 by Sadoldgit

I was firmly in the waste of money camp but thank you for putting the positive side of this project across. I had only seen the negative stuff before. I think part of the problem is we see a huge amount of money spent on this when there are so many problems elsewhere. In an ideal world we would find the cash to spend on rebuilding the infrastructure across the board. I’m all for levelling up but when the major house building programmes are being forced through in the SE we need the infrastructure here to deal with the following increase in population. Kent is being concreted over at a rate of knots but we don’t have the schools, doctors surgeries, hospitals, road, rail or train structures to deal with the new housing programmes.

Thanks SoG. The reality is that the rail network does have a constant and ongoing programme of infrastructure upgrades, administered through 5 year Control Periods and typically costing £5 -£10bn each period. This mix of investment and renewal is not affected by HS2 and historically the amounts spent have not changed much since Railtrack. HS2 has given a huge boost to things like Northern Powerhouse by providing new stations and the new line from Birmingham-Nottingham-Sheffield-Leeds-York that would otherwise have to be paid from the PSBR rather than bonds. It is an opportunity to integrate disparate transport system fit for the rest of the century, not a vanity project.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024