Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Worst Cold Ever 17:26 - Nov 2 with 1702 viewsSadoldgit

The worst cold ever seems to be doing the rounds at the moment. A few neighbours have had it and said it takes ages to clear and really knocks the stuffing out of you. One couple have both had it for 5 weeks and are just getting over it. They have tested negative for Covid several times but their doctor thinks now that is what they have got. Covid or not it seems to make sense to wear a mask in public places to help keep the spread of the usual winter bugs down to a minimum. Anybody here had it yet?
The Worst Cold Ever on 17:31 - Nov 2 with 1429 viewssaint68

I did have a back and forth with you some 4/5 weeks ago about this winter's Seasonal flu Killing up to 60000 as reported by the NHS..you dismissed it and said covid was the thing to concentrate on and not a possible winter flu outbreak..

Just saying bud X

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

The Worst Cold Evep on 17:40 - Nov 2 with 1415 viewssaint68

Oh and just as an aside..the more you avoid naturally occurring seasonal influenza with masks and antibacterial sprays and what not, the more you reduce that wonderful immune system that soaks up bits and pieces of viruses quite easily but when you take those little increments away it then has to cope with full loads..which overwhelm and cause greater illness and sadly death.. but you know best..keep the mask on and exacerbate the virus ...strange that hey sweets X

The Worst Cold Ever on 19:05 - Nov 2 with 1357 viewsSadoldgit

The Worst Cold Ever on 17:31 - Nov 2 by saint68

I did have a back and forth with you some 4/5 weeks ago about this winter's Seasonal flu Killing up to 60000 as reported by the NHS..you dismissed it and said covid was the thing to concentrate on and not a possible winter flu outbreak..

Just saying bud X

If you could read, the title says cold not flu, sweets. How many people die from colds?
The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 19:10 - Nov 2 with 1352 viewssaint68

The Worst Cold Ever on 19:05 - Nov 2 by Sadoldgit

If you could read, the title says cold not flu, sweets. How many people die from colds?

If you could read your post back you finally got to mentioning it was flu..covid is a flu..Capiche
[Post edited 2 Nov 2021 19:12]

The Worst Cold Ever on 21:57 - Nov 2 with 1245 viewsdarthvader

Yeah had bad cold for a couple of weeks getting over it now .
Not quite the worst ever ..but a bad one .
Got it off my ex who is suffering as its on her chest and sounds horrific now and 3 weeks in .

Both had negative covids tests this time .. but we had had it last year , which was horrid-this cold is nothing like the covid .

keep the faith coyr

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 22:23 - Nov 2 with 1214 viewsDorsetIan

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 19:10 - Nov 2 by saint68

If you could read your post back you finally got to mentioning it was flu..covid is a flu..Capiche

I remember Donald Trump saying early in 2020 that Covid was 'just a flu'.

Nearly two years later your still trotting out the same old sh!t. And it's as stupid, ill-informed and boring as it was back then.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 07:10 - Nov 3 with 1146 viewssaint68

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 22:23 - Nov 2 by DorsetIan

Nearly two years later your still trotting out the same old sh!t. And it's as stupid, ill-informed and boring as it was back then.

They are both by definition viruses that can cause acute organ failure, respiratory failure and death..

They carry the same threats and same symptoms..

But now you want to categorise by gene sequence to clarify

Same man different hat basically.

And UK government advice is to treat the virus as you would a flu if you fall ill...funny that hey Ian.

The Worst Cold Ever on 14:40 - Nov 3 with 1055 viewssaint901

Is Covid "a flu"?

Most of the pieces I read say that the symptoms are similar although Covid has a higher chance of those symptoms being more severe (among the unvaccinated).

Both are respiratory illnesses caused by viruses. Both are spread the same way (and therefore the spread is limited by the same actions).

What I cannot find is whether flu viruses are part of a family (of which Covid is a derivation) and therefore are linked.

What science I know says that flu has been around a long time (last major epidemic after the first war) and variations/mutations in the virus crop up regularly, like every year. As such vaccines are adapted to counter them.

Covid appears to have arisen in an animal population and then transferred to humans. Perhaps that is how flu started originally?

SO I think that Covid is a new disease rather than a mutation of an existing one.

If so, the human immune system which can cope with and adapt to a virus that has been around for a century or more and provide a degree of "herd" immunity for the majority of the population, has struggled with a new - not related - virus.

I'm sure that the situation is much more complex than the above and if anybody has evidence that Covid is "a flu" and as such we (humans) will become naturally immune, please point me to it.
Login to get fewer ads

The Worst Cold Ever on 14:49 - Nov 3 with 1051 viewsDorsetIan

The Worst Cold Ever on 14:40 - Nov 3 by saint901

Is Covid "a flu"?

Most of the pieces I read say that the symptoms are similar although Covid has a higher chance of those symptoms being more severe (among the unvaccinated).

Both are respiratory illnesses caused by viruses. Both are spread the same way (and therefore the spread is limited by the same actions).

What I cannot find is whether flu viruses are part of a family (of which Covid is a derivation) and therefore are linked.

What science I know says that flu has been around a long time (last major epidemic after the first war) and variations/mutations in the virus crop up regularly, like every year. As such vaccines are adapted to counter them.

Covid appears to have arisen in an animal population and then transferred to humans. Perhaps that is how flu started originally?

SO I think that Covid is a new disease rather than a mutation of an existing one.

If so, the human immune system which can cope with and adapt to a virus that has been around for a century or more and provide a degree of "herd" immunity for the majority of the population, has struggled with a new - not related - virus.

I'm sure that the situation is much more complex than the above and if anybody has evidence that Covid is "a flu" and as such we (humans) will become naturally immune, please point me to it.

For me the issue is not about the categorisation of the virus, it's the use of the phrase 'just a flu'.

It arose at the beginning of the pandemic when people - particularly Trump - were desperately trying to downplay its significance (reference Trump's: it will miraculous disappear by Easter in a 'beautiful timeline').

People like 68 continue to characterise to Covid as 'just a flu'' to the same ends - their narrative is that this is a load of fuss over nothing, a fuss deliberately created by an evil conspiracy to make money and restrict our freedoms.

'Just a flu' is not a scientific description, it's a carefully chosen phrase intended to mislead.

The Worst Cold Ever on 15:18 - Nov 3 with 1035 viewssaint68

The Worst Cold Ever on 14:49 - Nov 3 by DorsetIan

For me the issue is not about the categorisation of the virus, it's the use of the phrase 'just a flu'.

It arose at the beginning of the pandemic when people - particularly Trump - were desperately trying to downplay its significance (reference Trump's: it will miraculous disappear by Easter in a 'beautiful timeline').

People like 68 continue to characterise to Covid as 'just a flu'' to the same ends - their narrative is that this is a load of fuss over nothing, a fuss deliberately created by an evil conspiracy to make money and restrict our freedoms.

'Just a flu' is not a scientific description, it's a carefully chosen phrase intended to mislead.

It should be treated as a flu...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/chris-whitty-says-no-more-23839754

The Worst Cold Ever on 16:04 - Nov 3 with 999 viewsDorsetIan

The Worst Cold Ever on 15:18 - Nov 3 by saint68

It should be treated as a flu...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/chris-whitty-says-no-more-23839754

Again misleading. The word he used was 'eventually', meaning in the future. Not now.

He also talks about eventually 'managing it' like a flu. He is not saying that it is 'just a flu'.

Also his idea of managing it will involve vaccinations.

The Worst Cold Ever on 16:09 - Nov 3 with 999 viewssaint901

Why?

I'm fully aware that some people for reasons of their own want to present Covid as a conspiracy to allow some in society to become rich, powerful, important, whatever.

If that is true then the sceptics and deniers are heroic resistance fighters and again some people like to think they are.

Others may think that a conspiracy is far less likely than a cock up and that others reading cock up for conspiracy are deluding themselves and perhaps others.

If there was proof of conspiracy - a conspiracy involving 100's of countries, tens of thousands of political types, hundreds of thousands of health workers - it would be impossible to keep under wraps.
The Worst Cold Ever on 16:13 - Nov 3 with 990 viewssaint68

The Worst Cold Ever on 16:04 - Nov 3 by DorsetIan

Again misleading. The word he used was 'eventually', meaning in the future. Not now.

He also talks about eventually 'managing it' like a flu. He is not saying that it is 'just a flu'.

Also his idea of managing it will involve vaccinations.

So he will treat it like a seasonal flu with vaccines for the most vulnerable..yeh just like a flu..

Pedantic Ian rides again.

The Worst Cold Ever on 16:26 - Nov 3 with 980 viewssaint901

I assume "he" means Trump.

The "stable genius" who tried to undermine US democracy, refuses to accept a vote of the people because it bruises his ego, is being investigated by a Senate Committee for sedition, has at last count a couple of dozen legal cases alleging theft, misuse of funds, misleading investors, tax evasion, has no medical training.

I suggest that he is little more than a deluded egomaniac who reacted to the news on Covid like a petulant toddler and is in large part to blame for a good number of Covid related deaths in the US and elsewhere.

Not somebody whose word or announcements carry any weight with me.
The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 17:16 - Nov 3 with 954 viewsSadoldgit

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 19:10 - Nov 2 by saint68

Influenza is Influenza. Covid is Covid. Capiche?
The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 17:36 - Nov 3 with 933 viewsdwayne_dibley

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 17:16 - Nov 3 by Sadoldgit

bit like the distinction between getting knocked down by a bus or a HGV

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

The Worst Cold Ever on 18:34 - Nov 3 with 899 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

The Worst Cold Ever on 14:49 - Nov 3 by DorsetIan

Public Health England - categorization 19th April 2020, something almost everyone seems to have forgotten

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 19:04 - Nov 3 with 873 viewssaint68

They are both respiratory and immune system viruses with mirroring aspects..Capiche.

And the NHS predict that this winter's Seasonal flu will sadly match or even eclipse last years covid-19 mortality rate.

They also admit that both illnesses are so very similar that diagnosis will be a challenge for GP's and care homes alike.

But what do the NHS know hey Sogs.

The Worst Cold Ever on 20:53 - Nov 3 with 822 viewsDorsetIan

The Worst Cold Ever on 16:13 - Nov 3 by saint68

So he will treat it like a seasonal flu with vaccines for the most vulnerable..yeh just like a flu..

Pedantic Ian rides again.

Not what he said. In fact, he didn't say anything that remotely supports your twisted view of things.

But the lies pour out effortlessly for you. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy story, eh?

The Worst Cold Ever on 21:02 - Nov 3 with 816 viewssaint68

The Worst Cold Ever on 20:53 - Nov 3 by DorsetIan

Not what he said. In fact, he didn't say anything that remotely supports your twisted view of things.

But the lies pour out effortlessly for you. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy story, eh?

Oh Ian, just more denial...you really are perpetuating that blinkered little view you cling onto desperately..

Don't worry sweets..it'll soon be over Bubs.

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 07:39 - Nov 4 with 735 viewssaint68

You and Ian both are very clear that you see no link between covid and influenza..thats what you are both clearly stating.

You both have also clearly stated that the vaccines are safe as they have been modelled on previous vaccines that have been used safely for decades...those vaccines you lay claim to are.....flu vaccines..but you two clearly state that covid is covid and influenza is a completely different thing.

So girls ,what exactly are you saying?.because in all honesty you're all over the place..and you can't have it both ways..

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 08:35 - Nov 4 with 700 viewssaint22

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 22:23 - Nov 2 by DorsetIan

Thats what he does
68 gets his facts from the mail, and the mirror, reads the headline and off he goes
Thats the illness this country needs to eradicate
The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 08:51 - Nov 4 with 697 viewssaint68

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 08:35 - Nov 4 by saint22

Thats what he does
68 gets his facts from the mail, and the mirror, reads the headline and off he goes
Thats the illness this country needs to eradicate

"68 gets his facts from the mail, and the mirror"

Facts are facts 22..blimey you've hit a new low even for you there bud.

Stick to lying about Windsor chip times babe.

As for eradication...wow just wow!!

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 09:25 - Nov 4 with 679 viewsDorsetIan

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 07:39 - Nov 4 by saint68

You and Ian both are very clear that you see no link between covid and influenza..thats what you are both clearly stating.

You both have also clearly stated that the vaccines are safe as they have been modelled on previous vaccines that have been used safely for decades...those vaccines you lay claim to are.....flu vaccines..but you two clearly state that covid is covid and influenza is a completely different thing.

So girls ,what exactly are you saying?.because in all honesty you're all over the place..and you can't have it both ways..

You are the one trying desperately to equate the two, with the objective of playing down Covid.

I am not so invested in playing down Covid, so I don't need to equate it with anything else.

There is no need to talk about flu when talking about Covid, so on the principle of Occam's Razor, let's not do that.

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 09:38 - Nov 4 with 676 viewssaint68

The Worst Cold Ever (n/t) on 09:25 - Nov 4 by DorsetIan

You are the one trying desperately to equate the two, with the objective of playing down Covid.

I am not so invested in playing down Covid, so I don't need to equate it with anything else.

There is no need to talk about flu when talking about Covid, so on the principle of Occam's Razor, let's not do that.

You've been well and truly tucked up Bubs.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024