Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas Message from the Board 09:59 - Dec 24 with 9300 viewsisitme

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/december/christmasmessage2021/

Again, another excellent piece of communication from Simon. The part about potential transfers was particularly interesting Long may it continue.
Christmas Message from the Board on 20:20 - Dec 25 with 3359 viewsdownunder

Christmas Message from the Board on 02:24 - Dec 25 by pioneer

Didnt he have to spend 14 days in quarantine?

apparently, he looks like the British PM with a false beard...and therefore rules do not apply.
Christmas Message from the Board on 10:50 - Dec 26 with 3069 viewsRAFCBLUE

Christmas Message from the Board on 07:09 - Dec 25 by 1907

Definitely. This has also created somewhat of an apathy in the fan base as a result as well.

I wonder if with this new board the transfer fees received will be disclosed instead of undisclosed? I guess we’ll soon find out!

I don't think there is any value in any club disclosing fees - which is why so many don't do it.

Of course, shareholders of clubs are able to ask those questions at AGM's (and should!) so the information ultimately gets disclosed - how else does the BBC have the ability to write about Ollie Rathbone, Stephen Humphrys and Craig Dawson?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58883213

All putting that information into the public domain in real time can do is increase the real time value of possible targets, demands of agents, wage requests. Agents at this time of year (and in June/July) tout every player to every club as that is how they make their living.

There are a lot of out of work footballers and a lot of footballers looking for a January move and only so many clubs available.

What is good to hear is that any player sales receipts are going back into the team on the pitch and not elsewhere and it sound like with all of the scouts at the Plymouth game (two from the Premier League) there is real interest but whether that converts into an interest club meeting a player's valuation remains to be seen.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Christmas Message from the Board on 11:45 - Dec 26 with 2997 viewsEllDale

There may have been a shed full of scouts at the Plymouth game but has anyone stopped to consider that they have been monitoring Argyle players? The keeper for example?
Far easier to go to Spotland than all the way down to Devon.
And scouts also evaluate teams that their clubs are going to play in the immediate future so, with the Christmas programme looming, there could have been a few representatives there for that reason.
Christmas Message from the Board on 12:59 - Dec 26 with 2876 viewsD_Alien

Christmas Message from the Board on 10:50 - Dec 26 by RAFCBLUE

I don't think there is any value in any club disclosing fees - which is why so many don't do it.

Of course, shareholders of clubs are able to ask those questions at AGM's (and should!) so the information ultimately gets disclosed - how else does the BBC have the ability to write about Ollie Rathbone, Stephen Humphrys and Craig Dawson?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58883213

All putting that information into the public domain in real time can do is increase the real time value of possible targets, demands of agents, wage requests. Agents at this time of year (and in June/July) tout every player to every club as that is how they make their living.

There are a lot of out of work footballers and a lot of footballers looking for a January move and only so many clubs available.

What is good to hear is that any player sales receipts are going back into the team on the pitch and not elsewhere and it sound like with all of the scouts at the Plymouth game (two from the Premier League) there is real interest but whether that converts into an interest club meeting a player's valuation remains to be seen.

In terms of the "value" of disclosing fees, there's a commercial point - which you have made very well, as per usual! - and a sporting one

For the entire 20th century, right from when the first transfer fees became a matter of interest at the very outset when Alf Common was transferred to Middlesborough from Sunderland for the first £1000 fee in 1905, the subject made headlines and was a great topic of debate both in the media and amongst friends at games, in pubs and for younger lads at school

That part of the sporting interest has now gone, it would seem. It's not to be welcomed as something thats "of no value" imo
[Post edited 26 Dec 2021 13:01]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Christmas Message from the Board on 14:58 - Dec 26 with 2763 viewsRAFCBLUE

I don't disagree with that.

Now Grealish is the first £100m UK player any transfer fee in the three division below the Premier League is pretty much non-newsworthy.

Also, a lot depends on the availability of the replacement player for a player to move on. When the transfer window started in 2002/03 it was very badly managed by a lot of clubs and that led to a lot of late deals where the replacement was not in place before the departing player departed.

Now, it is so carefully choreographed that the inbound player is only coming one the outbound deal is done and it is a chain of deals, a bit like buying a house.

There are a few high profile moves in the Championship and League 1 expected in January 2022 and that will have a knock on effect down the pyramid.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Christmas Message from the Board on 16:34 - Dec 26 with 2624 viewsD_Alien

Christmas Message from the Board on 14:58 - Dec 26 by RAFCBLUE

I don't disagree with that.

Now Grealish is the first £100m UK player any transfer fee in the three division below the Premier League is pretty much non-newsworthy.

Also, a lot depends on the availability of the replacement player for a player to move on. When the transfer window started in 2002/03 it was very badly managed by a lot of clubs and that led to a lot of late deals where the replacement was not in place before the departing player departed.

Now, it is so carefully choreographed that the inbound player is only coming one the outbound deal is done and it is a chain of deals, a bit like buying a house.

There are a few high profile moves in the Championship and League 1 expected in January 2022 and that will have a knock on effect down the pyramid.

It's newsworthy to those clubs involved, especially their fans

Who, for instance, is our record signing & record transfer?

Fees are complicated these days by add-ons of course, which may or may not materialise; in which case, the up-front fee should be the figure which determines whether it's a record or not

Christmas Message from the Board on 19:02 - Dec 26 with 2529 viewsRAFCBLUE

Christmas Message from the Board on 16:34 - Dec 26 by D_Alien

It's newsworthy to those clubs involved, especially their fans

Who, for instance, is our record signing & record transfer?

Fees are complicated these days by add-ons of course, which may or may not materialise; in which case, the up-front fee should be the figure which determines whether it's a record or not

The two in my lifetime that we paid money for were Andy Flounders (£80,000 from Scunthorpe) and Paul Connor (£150,000 from Stoke City).

Outbound who knows but there are two that I think must be the best sale deal:

1. Craig Dawson (to West Brom) plus the sell on to Watford - originally "undisclosed" but thanks to the BBC we know that we received a sell on.

2. Stephen Bywater (to West Ham) - Wikipedia has that at £1.75m
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Bywater

Christmas Message from the Board on 19:16 - Dec 26 with 2488 views100notout

Christmas Message from the Board on 19:02 - Dec 26 by RAFCBLUE

The two in my lifetime that we paid money for were Andy Flounders (£80,000 from Scunthorpe) and Paul Connor (£150,000 from Stoke City).

1. Craig Dawson (to West Brom) plus the sell on to Watford - originally "undisclosed" but thanks to the BBC we know that we received a sell on.

and scott hogan?

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Login to get fewer ads

Christmas Message from the Board on 19:19 - Dec 26 with 2477 viewsChaffRAFC

Christmas Message from the Board on 19:02 - Dec 26 by RAFCBLUE

Paul Connor is still our record signing at £150,000.

We paid £100,000 for Clive Platt from Walsall and roughly that for Chris O'Grady and Stephen Humphrys as well. With fees being undisclosed it's difficult to find out the fees.

With regards outgoings, I vaguely remember the initial fee being £300,000 for Bywater but add-ons meant we got much more.

In today's market, I'll bet there aren't many clubs whose record signing was two decades ago!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Christmas Message from the Board on 20:21 - Dec 26 with 2378 viewsEllDale

How much did we pay Barrow for Jordan Williams?
Christmas Message from the Board on 20:30 - Dec 26 with 2368 viewsIOMDale

Christmas Message from the Board on 20:21 - Dec 26 by EllDale

How much did we pay Barrow for Jordan Williams?

The short answer is too much, though IIRC (unlikely!), it was around £70,000 to £80,000.

UTDNFS

Christmas Message from the Board on 21:48 - Dec 26 with 2241 viewsChaffRAFC

Christmas Message from the Board on 20:30 - Dec 26 by IOMDale

The short answer is too much, though IIRC (unlikely!), it was around £70,000 to £80,000.

Not much more than we paid for Jon Shaw and Jake Beesley depending on what you believe.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Christmas Message from the Board on 22:10 - Dec 26 with 2208 viewsD_Alien

^^^^^^^^^^

All of which demonstrates how much of a talking point the simple disclosure of transfer fees remains

If the Dale board can refresh the disclosure principle, and to hell with any other considerations around behind closed doors / agents / leveraging, so much the better and healthier imho

Christmas Message from the Board on 22:30 - Dec 26 with 2162 viewsjudd

The GREATEST piece of transfer business we EVER did was getting a fee for George Donnelly.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Christmas Message from the Board on 09:57 - Dec 27 with 1925 views1907

Christmas Message from the Board on 22:30 - Dec 26 by judd

The GREATEST piece of transfer business we EVER did was getting a fee for George Donnelly.

I seem to remember many fans feeling very similar when we also sold JT to Tranmere at the end of his first spell with us when to be honest, he wasn’t particularly highly thought of & got ample stick.

Who could have predicted what was written in the stars for his legacy with the club. Absolutely crazy.
Christmas Message from the Board on 10:33 - Dec 27 with 1865 viewsjoecooke

How much did we pay for jon shaw.?

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Christmas Message from the Board on 10:53 - Dec 27 with 1832 viewsEllDale

Allegedly 60k according to someone I know who used to work at Halifax Town.
Christmas Message from the Board on 11:14 - Dec 27 with 1802 views1907

It was a shame for Shaw as he did have an excellent record in non league.

Another absolute shocker from the memory bank is Iyseden Christie!

Can’t remember who he was brought in to replace, think it was 2006 so maybe Lambert/Holt?

Sure TVOS will know.
Christmas Message from the Board on 11:21 - Dec 27 with 1793 viewsTVOS1907

Christmas Message from the Board on 11:14 - Dec 27 by 1907

It was a shame for Shaw as he did have an excellent record in non league.

Another absolute shocker from the memory bank is Iyseden Christie!

Can’t remember who he was brought in to replace, think it was 2006 so maybe Lambert/Holt?

Sure TVOS will know.

It was at the end of the January 2006 transfer window, so it was Grant Holt.

Lambert didn't leave us until the following August.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Christmas Message from the Board on 16:49 - Dec 27 with 1607 views1907

Christmas Message from the Board on 11:21 - Dec 27 by TVOS1907

It was at the end of the January 2006 transfer window, so it was Grant Holt.

Lambert didn't leave us until the following August.

Nice one. A like for like transfer then really 🙃
Christmas Message from the Board on 17:46 - Dec 27 with 1508 viewsTVOS1907

Christmas Message from the Board on 16:49 - Dec 27 by 1907

Nice one. A like for like transfer then really 🙃

Aye, apart from Christie wearing gloves and Holt not doing!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024