Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory 22:55 - Mar 22 with 10043 viewsJimmyRustler

We won’t go down this season. And that is because there are at least three absolute gash teams that are worse than us.

But how long do we give it? Stockdale will be with us at the start of next season. But how long do you leave it? Does anyone have faith that he will actually come good? With experienced managers who have at least had a modicum of success, there’s always that lingering feeling that they can replicate something. But Stockdale is new, untested, unproven. Our current form taken into next season would see us scrapping from the very start. At what point do we say enough is enough?

The fact that we brought Campbell off and replaced him with Newby when we have a perfectly “good” striker on the bench (who we paid £ for) is probably the last straw for me. I can’t fathom that logic. It hurts my brain. It’s becoming a chore to go now. Do we need to see a drastic reduction in the sale of season tickets for the board to consider a change? Where is the proverbial straw here?
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:10 - Mar 22 with 6532 viewsmikehunt

We started the season quite well, though. Lost a couple of players which, surely, shouldn't have made that much difference? But seems to have.
So, with a new season and maybe some more recruits, might we be more like we were at the start of this season rather than the way we are finishing it? Could go either way: as could getting a new manager. Which way do you gamble?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:23 - Mar 22 with 6472 viewsTyroneShoelaces

Very much in agreement. Think Stockdale added the final straw to his camels back with that substitution.
Much as I liked the guy (passed tense) he has exhausted any credits he’d accrued.
No point getting rid now but once we are mathematically safe id bin him
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:51 - Mar 22 with 6387 viewsdingdangblue

There's obviously an issue behind the scenes with Charman. Something has happened - whether it's his attitude or his professionalism there is no other reason to keep ignoring him during games when we are crying out for a target man/striker. It just doesn't make sense that he didn't come on for Campbell with 25 mins to go.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:55 - Mar 22 with 6383 viewsDickydaler

I'm sure if Charman was worthy of coming on he would have brought him on.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:57 - Mar 22 with 6372 viewsSandyman

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:55 - Mar 22 by Dickydaler

I'm sure if Charman was worthy of coming on he would have brought him on.

Absolutely. But if he is not worthy, why did we buy him?
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:59 - Mar 22 with 6356 viewsDickydaler

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:57 - Mar 22 by Sandyman

Absolutely. But if he is not worthy, why did we buy him?

Good point.
He's only had 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there so far, and in that time he hasn't brought a lot to the game. Maybe Saturday will be a good time to give him a start if Campbell isn't fit.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 0:05]
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 00:14 - Mar 23 with 6283 viewsD_Alien

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:59 - Mar 22 by Dickydaler

Good point.
He's only had 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there so far, and in that time he hasn't brought a lot to the game. Maybe Saturday will be a good time to give him a start if Campbell isn't fit.

If Campbell is out injured and Andrews not ready to start yet, anything else but a start for Charman at the weekend will really set alarm bells ringing

Crawley away is about as mundane a fixture as you'll get in the football league, but we're fighting to keep ahead of the pack at the bottom and the players need to show a great deal of hunger for the game. Charman should be absolutely starving by now. But ffs, don't leave the lad isolated and then blast him for not making an impact (don't mean you, dd)

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 00:32 - Mar 23 with 6242 viewsAlan_ADale

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:59 - Mar 22 by Dickydaler

Good point.

to be fair, chairman played the first 45 minutes at scunny and was subbed off at half time. again to be fair, one of the worst dale halves i've ever seen. we ended up winning.
Login to get fewer ads

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 00:38 - Mar 23 with 6213 viewsD_Alien

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 00:32 - Mar 23 by Alan_ADale

to be fair, chairman played the first 45 minutes at scunny and was subbed off at half time. again to be fair, one of the worst dale halves i've ever seen. we ended up winning.

tbf, i'm sick of hearing this

That first half was clearly all down to Charman, yeah?

Give the lad a break. Which player hasn't had a poor half? Look at Dorsett. He's had disastrous halves but there's a player starting to emerge now

Judging anyone on one half of a game is idiocy

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 00:50 - Mar 23 with 6199 viewsAlan_ADale

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 00:38 - Mar 23 by D_Alien

tbf, i'm sick of hearing this

That first half was clearly all down to Charman, yeah?

Give the lad a break. Which player hasn't had a poor half? Look at Dorsett. He's had disastrous halves but there's a player starting to emerge now

Judging anyone on one half of a game is idiocy

didn't blame that first half on charman at all. the entire team was shocking that first half. the manager subbed charman, not me! ask him why. is the manager an idiot for judging someone for one half of a game?
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 06:23 - Mar 23 with 5980 viewsSheffield_dale

Think the new board made a great appointment at the start of the season on paper, with the experienced Shan helping promising coach Robbie.

However something just seems off and flat at the minute.

I listen and watch a lot of podcasts of former players (under the cosh etc) and every (former) player states that managers got more out of them when they were treated with honesty and respect.

For all his flaws it seems that was very much BBM’s way and, as mentioned by some former players, it was very much Keith’s way too. Particularly Wilbraham and Steve Davies mentioned that they really enjoyed the way they were treated at Dale. Rochdale (unlike many other clubs) are actually mentioned in glowing terms.

The rumours about Shan last night tell me that we have an “old school” youth/non league style management team. Ruled with an iron fist. Like it or lump it mentality. In the modern game, it just doesn’t work!

I feel like we need players that enjoy playing for Dale. Players that will run through brick walls for the fans and for the manager.

It’s been dreary this year and that has been cultivated and exasperated by this old school leadership. Attendances are down, motivation is down and all the momentum from the good news at the start of the season has evaporated.

We now have a progressive and positive ownership model. Time for the management and the team to reflect that.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 06:46 - Mar 23 with 5943 viewsdingdangblue

Our next 4 fixtures are:
Crawley a
Carlisle h
Swindon h
Walsall h
3 home games - if we've not won by then the atmosphere at the end of the Walsall game will be toxic.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 07:03 - Mar 23 with 5898 viewsD_Alien

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 00:50 - Mar 23 by Alan_ADale

didn't blame that first half on charman at all. the entire team was shocking that first half. the manager subbed charman, not me! ask him why. is the manager an idiot for judging someone for one half of a game?

Fair point about the manager, just sounded like you were jumping on the bandwagon about Charman and Campbell not working together up front, when its more likely the way the team as a whole didn't understand how to use them

Does that sound like i'm starting to have doubts about the management team, after being 100% behind RS? Maybe, looking at it as RS/JC. Shades of Simpson/Hoyland, the latter having been mentioned by others

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 07:12 - Mar 23 with 5883 viewsseasidedale

According to stockdale’s interview, charman was Ill and had a “funny turn” at warm up
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 07:27 - Mar 23 with 5863 views1907

Good point.

A striker cannot be judged of the pathetic game time Charman has been given. It is completely unfair to him & RS’s post match comments about protecting him are just ridiculous in my opinion.

Protecting him is not verbally abusing him, destroying whatever remaining confidence he has, whilst the fans in the ground are doing everything they can to encourage and support the lad.

Spending a load of cash on a star striker, making a big song & dance about it. The fans want to see him! Regardless of whether this is in keeping with coaching manuals and whatever other crap the FA teach. The fans want to see him! What’s so difficult to understand?

He will not improve or benefit until he is given a run of games & shown some belief from his manager.

To be fair I felt sorry for Newby when it was announced he was coming on as the groans around the ground must have been audible to him. But he shouldn’t have been the player coming on & as expected, it was the wrong sub to make.

There is too much wrong with this management duo. No improvement. Repeated mistakes. Warring in the ranks now. The situation has become toxic, cancerous.

It’s time to cut our losses and try and win some fans back on side for the rest of the season & look to build something new for next season.

I would honestly rather see Jim step in as caretaker manager until the end of the season than have to endure anymore of this. This is now worse than BBM for me & I stand by that comment and firmly believe it.

The walk to the car last night was as depressing as any I can remember in many years of following Dale. Time for change.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:01 - Mar 23 with 5764 viewsDalenet

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 06:46 - Mar 23 by dingdangblue

Our next 4 fixtures are:
Crawley a
Carlisle h
Swindon h
Walsall h
3 home games - if we've not won by then the atmosphere at the end of the Walsall game will be toxic.

Why toxic? There will be nobody there.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:08 - Mar 23 with 5746 viewsJames1980

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 06:46 - Mar 23 by dingdangblue

Our next 4 fixtures are:
Crawley a
Carlisle h
Swindon h
Walsall h

Considering the recent booing at the end of games is it not already getting toxic?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:23 - Mar 23 with 5692 viewsdingdangblue

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:08 - Mar 23 by James1980

Considering the recent booing at the end of games is it not already getting toxic?

Yes but the booing will change to calls for Stockdale out.

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:39 - Mar 23 with 5650 viewsfinberty

We do not want to be counting chickens about our non-relegation. The supreme irony will be if the worst happens and we drop out of the EFL due to lack of goals, when the club invested in two proven NL forwards, neither of whom were then given a fighting chance - Campbell because he's expected to wrestle man-mountains alone and Charman because he isn't allowed across the whitewash.

Once again Matt Done, our quickest and most direct forward, is hooked. Once again, a place is found for the tremulous Newby, who may chip-in with the odd goal, but whose non-combative approach leads to pressure on his team-mates.

I have long worried that, as a new coach, Stockdale is working his way through the manuals in just the same way that BBM did. He's clearly reached the page that says ignore the evidence of your own eyes and ears, and of the league table, and just plough on regardless.

It's worrying and dispiriting, and I am tired of having my Saturday evenings and Tuesday nights spoiled by all this.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 14:59]
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:51 - Mar 23 with 5620 viewsJames1980

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:23 - Mar 23 by dingdangblue

Wouldn't it be similar to a chant heard about our first female PM, 'ROBBIE ROBBIE ROBBIE OUT OUT OUT'

Nb I would not join in

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 09:47 - Mar 23 with 5471 viewsToffeemanc

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:23 - Mar 23 by dingdangblue

In the Pearl Street stand there are already plenty of comments being shouted during games wanting Stockdale to "pack up and leave" and "get out now" and it's been going on for the last 3 home games.
Personally I don't currently see the benefit of changing the manager now as Scunthorpe seem to be all but relegated and Oldham & Stevenage in freefall which will hopefully mean we end up with enough points to stay clear of the relegation places.
With regards to the football/entertainment currently on offer on the pitch it is certainly going to give the board a more difficult job when it comes to selling season tickets for next year.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 10:46 - Mar 23 with 5316 viewsDaleFan7

There are several reasons we are where we are. Some things come from the manager, like the persistence, especially at home, to play with only 1 striker and bypass our non-existent midfield with punts upfield that 9 times out of 10 come straight back at us.

Others come from the players, we're too soft, get pushed off the ball too easily and are scared of a tackle. Once ball had gone off last night, other than the back 3 we were so lightweight and weak. Add to that a reluctance to pass forward and its a recipe for disaster. Dooley made 5 forward passes in 90 minutes last night, every other was either sideways or backwards but he's not the only one.

We're lucky in a way that 1) There's some absolute sh!te in this division and 2) Our defense has actually improved massively over the season. O'Connell and Dorsett are head and shoulders above the rest of the team at the moment.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 11:07 - Mar 23 with 5254 viewsBucketBstard

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 07:27 - Mar 23 by 1907

A striker cannot be judged of the pathetic game time Charman has been given. It is completely unfair to him & RS’s post match comments about protecting him are just ridiculous in my opinion.

Protecting him is not verbally abusing him, destroying whatever remaining confidence he has, whilst the fans in the ground are doing everything they can to encourage and support the lad.

Spending a load of cash on a star striker, making a big song & dance about it. The fans want to see him! Regardless of whether this is in keeping with coaching manuals and whatever other crap the FA teach. The fans want to see him! What’s so difficult to understand?

He will not improve or benefit until he is given a run of games & shown some belief from his manager.

To be fair I felt sorry for Newby when it was announced he was coming on as the groans around the ground must have been audible to him. But he shouldn’t have been the player coming on & as expected, it was the wrong sub to make.

There is too much wrong with this management duo. No improvement. Repeated mistakes. Warring in the ranks now. The situation has become toxic, cancerous.

It’s time to cut our losses and try and win some fans back on side for the rest of the season & look to build something new for next season.

I would honestly rather see Jim step in as caretaker manager until the end of the season than have to endure anymore of this. This is now worse than BBM for me & I stand by that comment and firmly believe it.

The walk to the car last night was as depressing as any I can remember in many years of following Dale. Time for change.

I was in full agreement until you lost me at McNumpty as caretaker. That buffoon should be nowhere near this club. A loser and a very poor defender.
We do need change , tactics , forwards on the pitch and players who will stand up and be counted. I worry about RS recruitment , since I do not have any faith in Dorsett, Graham , Grant , Taylor , Clarke or Broadbent and Cashman . He is also stuck with sub standard L2 players like Dooley , Odoh and Newby.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 11:38 - Mar 23 with 5178 viewsSheffield_dale

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 10:46 - Mar 23 by DaleFan7

There are several reasons we are where we are. Some things come from the manager, like the persistence, especially at home, to play with only 1 striker and bypass our non-existent midfield with punts upfield that 9 times out of 10 come straight back at us.

Others come from the players, we're too soft, get pushed off the ball too easily and are scared of a tackle. Once ball had gone off last night, other than the back 3 we were so lightweight and weak. Add to that a reluctance to pass forward and its a recipe for disaster. Dooley made 5 forward passes in 90 minutes last night, every other was either sideways or backwards but he's not the only one.

We're lucky in a way that 1) There's some absolute sh!te in this division and 2) Our defense has actually improved massively over the season. O'Connell and Dorsett are head and shoulders above the rest of the team at the moment.

Agree about the standard in this league.

I remember watching Mansfield away and thought they were no better than Rochdale St Clements!

Fast forward a few months and I’m staggered they are playoff contenders.

Yes we are “little Rochdale” but we were a league 1 mainstay for a number of years. I genuinely think we should be beating the majority of teams in this league purely based on a handful of players being experienced playing teams like Sunderland/Ipswich/Portsmouth etc on a regular basis. It should at the very least give them the stones to “av a go at em”

I urge people to watch Robbie’s first interview after being unveiled. Contains the quotes “entertaining” and “fans will go away knowing players have given 100% for them”

If I applied and subsequently got the job spouting that mantra I would have failed my probation after 6 months.

I’m not advocating he goes, just want to see this football-depression reversed.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 16:54 - Mar 23 with 4866 viewsjonahwhereru

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 11:07 - Mar 23 by BucketBstard

I was in full agreement until you lost me at McNumpty as caretaker. That buffoon should be nowhere near this club. A loser and a very poor defender.
We do need change , tactics , forwards on the pitch and players who will stand up and be counted. I worry about RS recruitment , since I do not have any faith in Dorsett, Graham , Grant , Taylor , Clarke or Broadbent and Cashman . He is also stuck with sub standard L2 players like Dooley , Odoh and Newby.

Grant was not not a RS recruit. Think Taylor will be ok for us moving forward, the performance against Port Vale alone was enough for me. We needed bodies in at the start of the season, and I can certainly forgive some signings made in haste. In the window we bought in Downing, Ball and Campbell who has all been certainties on the team sheet when fit, so I have no problem with any of those recruits. Kelly was also a sound signing. Charman has yet to get a chance.
Agree Graham, Broadbent and especially Cashman seem light years from working out. Fortunately only one of them is a permanent signing.
The released list could be mighty long and then the recruitment chips will be down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024