Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory 22:55 - Mar 22 with 10143 viewsJimmyRustler

We won’t go down this season. And that is because there are at least three absolute gash teams that are worse than us.

But how long do we give it? Stockdale will be with us at the start of next season. But how long do you leave it? Does anyone have faith that he will actually come good? With experienced managers who have at least had a modicum of success, there’s always that lingering feeling that they can replicate something. But Stockdale is new, untested, unproven. Our current form taken into next season would see us scrapping from the very start. At what point do we say enough is enough?

The fact that we brought Campbell off and replaced him with Newby when we have a perfectly “good” striker on the bench (who we paid £ for) is probably the last straw for me. I can’t fathom that logic. It hurts my brain. It’s becoming a chore to go now. Do we need to see a drastic reduction in the sale of season tickets for the board to consider a change? Where is the proverbial straw here?
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 17:34 - Mar 23 with 3436 viewsrichfoad32

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 11:07 - Mar 23 by BucketBstard

I was in full agreement until you lost me at McNumpty as caretaker. That buffoon should be nowhere near this club. A loser and a very poor defender.
We do need change , tactics , forwards on the pitch and players who will stand up and be counted. I worry about RS recruitment , since I do not have any faith in Dorsett, Graham , Grant , Taylor , Clarke or Broadbent and Cashman . He is also stuck with sub standard L2 players like Dooley , Odoh and Newby.

How has Odoh's stock dropped so rapidly? He initially appeared an exciting option, if lacking an end product and most (including myself) were happy when he signed up for another year. He even had a great game at left wingback. Gradually faded out and a couple of lacklustre sub appearances later seems to have been bombed out entirely?
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 17:37 - Mar 23 with 3399 viewsEllDale

Sam Graham has gone on loan to Notts County.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 17:40 - Mar 23 with 3382 viewsrichfoad32

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 17:37 - Mar 23 by EllDale

We can monitor his progress (or lack of it) through Chalky.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 17:46 - Mar 23 with 3321 viewsD_Alien

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 17:37 - Mar 23 by EllDale

Wondered about a loan move for him the other day, but why's it taken so long?

Honestly thought it might be below (even) County's level!

He's basically had a good six month's progress wasted

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 17:49 - Mar 23 with 3311 viewsEllDale

Perhaps the return to fitness of Downing was significant?
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 17:56 - Mar 23 with 3261 viewsD_Alien

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 17:49 - Mar 23 by EllDale

Perhaps the return to fitness of Downing was significant?

But once we'd signed Downing in the January window, that would've been a good time for him to get some much-needed game time in elsewhere

Even with the injuries we've had, he's barely even made the bench due to us having cover - plus, we could've had a recall clause on a loan deal, as is often the case

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 20:01 - Mar 23 with 3038 viewsBrierls

Let's hope her tears it up and earns himself a permanent move.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 20:15 - Mar 23 with 2987 viewsBrierls

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 20:01 - Mar 23 by Brierls

Let's hope her tears it up and earns himself a permanent move.

Wow. I've just been reading the reaction to Notts County's official tweet...their fans are delighted!
Login to get fewer ads

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 20:18 - Mar 23 with 2980 viewsTVOS1907

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 20:15 - Mar 23 by Brierls

Wow. I've just been reading the reaction to Notts County's official tweet...their fans are delighted!

He was impressive in his previous spell there, apparently.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 00:56 - Mar 24 with 2703 viewsAlan_ADale

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 07:03 - Mar 23 by D_Alien

Fair point about the manager, just sounded like you were jumping on the bandwagon about Charman and Campbell not working together up front, when its more likely the way the team as a whole didn't understand how to use them

Does that sound like i'm starting to have doubts about the management team, after being 100% behind RS? Maybe, looking at it as RS/JC. Shades of Simpson/Hoyland, the latter having been mentioned by others

not a problem, sir. don't post a lot on here these days but you do write some intelligent and thought provoking comments.
tricky one with the current manager - reckon we all have doubts having seen some rank bad games. that said, he is still very well liked and fans do genuinely want him to do well. fans turned on the likes of eyre much sooner with good reason. stockdales teams are bloody exasperating at times. doubts are normal. bottomley is a piece of crap
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 0:59]
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 09:58 - Mar 24 with 2460 viewsJames1980

On the other hand there has been some incredibly bad luck. Of course some will say it is all of his own making (not me btw )

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 23:51 - Mar 24 with 2097 viewspioneer

Cheer up folks......it could be worse....we could be Italian!

Imagine what the score would have been if they had played all of Macedonia
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:55 - Mar 25 with 1971 viewsDaley_Lama

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 16:54 - Mar 23 by jonahwhereru

Grant was not not a RS recruit. Think Taylor will be ok for us moving forward, the performance against Port Vale alone was enough for me. We needed bodies in at the start of the season, and I can certainly forgive some signings made in haste. In the window we bought in Downing, Ball and Campbell who has all been certainties on the team sheet when fit, so I have no problem with any of those recruits. Kelly was also a sound signing. Charman has yet to get a chance.
Agree Graham, Broadbent and especially Cashman seem light years from working out. Fortunately only one of them is a permanent signing.
The released list could be mighty long and then the recruitment chips will be down.

Midfield threat (or lack of)

Done 17 games, 0 goals. 1 assist
Dooley 29 games, 0 goals, 3 assists.
Broadbent 18 games, 1 goal. 0 assists
Grant 25 games, 2 goals, 2 assists

Having played 5 at the back all season, with Morely in the hole, that leaves 4 ‘attacking’ players.

Whether the lack of goals/assists is down to the system or the players within the system is moot, the simple case is that we have limited options up top and no threat behind.

Let’s hope Ball is not too badly injured!

Poll: DF in or out

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 10:25 - Mar 25 with 1905 viewsAtThePeake

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:55 - Mar 25 by Daley_Lama

Having played 5 at the back all season, with Morely in the hole, that leaves 4 ‘attacking’ players.

Whether the lack of goals/assists is down to the system or the players within the system is moot, the simple case is that we have limited options up top and no threat behind.

I think in Dooley's case we can probably say it's down to the player.

In 102 games for us, across four seasons, two different divisions, three different managers, and a handful of different positions he has a total of 4 goals and 9 assists. One assist every 11.3 games, one goal every 25.5 games.

This season:

Big Chances Created - 3 (79th highest in L2)
Take-Ons Completed - 21 (50th highest in L2)
Tackles - 38 (121st highest in L2)
Interceptions - 19 (158th highest in L2)

He's made 1069 passes (21st highest) and his passing accuracy (87%) is very good - the 8th best in the league in fact. But only 385 of those passes have been in the final third (77th best in the league). 1 through ball attempted. Just 5 completed crosses.

Aside from passing sidewards successfully, what does he actually do?

This post has been edited by an administrator

Tangled up in blue.

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 10:58 - Mar 25 with 1838 viewsdawlishdale

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 08:55 - Mar 25 by Daley_Lama

Some remarkable, and quite frankly appalling figures there.

I went back a bit further with Matt Done, who has been here for quite a while now, and will be on a not inconsiderable wage.

In the last 3 seasons, Done has played 92 games and scored a grand total of 4 goals. I know he has played some games at wing back, but the majority of them have been as a striker.

Its disgraceful. And 2 of his 4 goals came right at the end of last season, almost as if he was looking for another contract.
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 11:58 - Mar 25 with 1730 viewsD_Alien

Those stats are quite stark

The 'takeaway' from the above is that the midfield deficit has been an ongoing issue across several seasons now. For all people are moaning about RS, is he expected to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?

He's tried to introduce quality in Kelly, who hasn't delivered. He's signed Ball, who imo certainly is delivering and he'll be a big miss whilst injured. We lost Morley, and Rathbone before RS came in. Broadbent was a short-notice gamble, when we were desperate to get bodies in

In the absence of an effective midfield, RS has gone with wingbacks and the system was showing signs of coming good (e.g. Newport) just before we lost Beesley

"One of the luckiest teams/managers" ?? Or one of the unluckiest?

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 12:04 - Mar 25 with 1726 viewsEllDale

Over the last two years, since the first lockdown, we've lost the services of Callum Camps, Aaron Morley, Oli Rathbone and Matty Lund.
All chipped in with goals.
Am I the only one who thinks that they've never been adequately replaced?
As for Dooley, I thought that he was signed as a winger and converted to midfield by BBM?
And why does Jimmy Keohane, signed as a midfield player player, never get a game there?
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 12:04 - Mar 25 with 1720 views49thseason

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 10:58 - Mar 25 by dawlishdale

I went back a bit further with Matt Done, who has been here for quite a while now, and will be on a not inconsiderable wage.

In the last 3 seasons, Done has played 92 games and scored a grand total of 4 goals. I know he has played some games at wing back, but the majority of them have been as a striker.

Its disgraceful. And 2 of his 4 goals came right at the end of last season, almost as if he was looking for another contract.

He ( Done) certainly seems to look much more sprightly at the end of seasons than the starts, maybe he needs time to warm up!..... By my reckoning, only Grant, Kelly and Ball are contracted for next year in midfield. We need a couple of ball winners in that mix for sure. Add to that a whole new defence and a target man and its going to be a busy Summer again. L2 is all about pace and power, we do not have an abundance of either at the moment and it must be a priority going forwards. Tippy tapping across midfield is fine if you have a side capable of suddenly undoing a defence and scoring a goal. Tippy tapping back and forth for its own sake has no value unless perhaps you are 2 - nil up with 2 minutes to play.....as if!
One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 12:14 - Mar 25 with 1715 viewsAtThePeake

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 11:58 - Mar 25 by D_Alien

Those stats are quite stark

The 'takeaway' from the above is that the midfield deficit has been an ongoing issue across several seasons now. For all people are moaning about RS, is he expected to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?

He's tried to introduce quality in Kelly, who hasn't delivered. He's signed Ball, who imo certainly is delivering and he'll be a big miss whilst injured. We lost Morley, and Rathbone before RS came in. Broadbent was a short-notice gamble, when we were desperate to get bodies in

In the absence of an effective midfield, RS has gone with wingbacks and the system was showing signs of coming good (e.g. Newport) just before we lost Beesley

"One of the luckiest teams/managers" ?? Or one of the unluckiest?

Some fair points there, but if Broadbent was a short-notice gamble, what did RS see to feel his loan was worth extending in January?

Tangled up in blue.

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 12:44 - Mar 25 with 1648 views442Dale

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 10:58 - Mar 25 by dawlishdale

Last season Done was used at left back for most of the first half of the season when he played and only later on was used as a forward - quite effectively as many fans said at the time.

This year, after a quick check, he had featured in eleven league games most as sub, before starting again as a forward against Northampton when we won 1-0 (again to great effect as noted by supporters after the game). If there’s some evidence to establish that he’s played “the majority” of games as a striker, it might be worth posting the stats.

Can check the stats in programmes from the previous seasons too later if required, but the insinuations about Done border on pathetic when we consider he has played over 300 games for the club and given his all every time he’s stepped onto the pitch, irrespective of where he’s been asked to play. Highlighting his performances as not being of a good enough standard quality wise (eg scoring goals etc) is one thing, but his commitment can’t ever be questioned.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 13:10 - Mar 25 with 1581 viewsD_Alien

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 12:14 - Mar 25 by AtThePeake

Some fair points there, but if Broadbent was a short-notice gamble, what did RS see to feel his loan was worth extending in January?

Something we're not!

He's solid enough but i'd rather have seen Brierley given a chance as back-up off the bench

One of the luckiest teams/managers in recent memory on 19:30 - Mar 26 with 1184 viewsJames1980

Ball and Campbell both out for the rest of the season.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024