Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton's mentality problem 20:06 - May 19 with 1172 viewsresearchersaint

Long runs of defeats, constantly dropping points from winning positions, do we have a mentality problem?

Would be interested to hear people's thought on the below!

https://post-and-in.com/2022/05/19/southamptons-mentality-problem/
Southampton's mentality problem on 20:53 - May 19 with 1123 viewsCenturion

A very good article. I think that this is an accurate summary of why we are having bad runs.
So, the solution?

1. New Manager
2. New backroom team.
3. A really good and confident leader on the pitch.
Southampton's mentality problem on 21:29 - May 19 with 1073 viewsresearchersaint

Southampton's mentality problem on 20:53 - May 19 by Centurion

A very good article. I think that this is an accurate summary of why we are having bad runs.
So, the solution?

1. New Manager
2. New backroom team.
3. A really good and confident leader on the pitch.

Thanks, appreciate it!
Southampton's mentality problem on 22:43 - May 19 with 1006 viewsA1079

A difficult question and I believe the issues go beyond the team and the manager but extends into a deeper sense of malaise in the club.

Obviously none of us know what's goes through the minds of the players but the logical thing is to believe there is a problem and a mindset which leads us not to go on and win games, retain leads, build on leads and then the collapses in performance. But then you weigh that against some superb displays and results - like Man City, Spurs, etc - nothing wrong with their mindset then.

How much of it is mindset or confidence and belief? Why is our conversion rate for goals so poor? Is that lack of skill or confidence? Why does one defeat then lead to many defeats? Why when we go behind you can be pretty sure we will not be able to pull it back?

What happened after that West Ham FA cup game? Never been the same since and the players have not just been poor but they have looked disinterested, not bothered even unprofessional.

Then there is the manager. A manager who on his day can galvanise a team to beat a Spurs or Man City etc but is just as likely to lead a team to a moral sapping defeat and a series of collapses. His decision making is often strange, he has a tendency to criticise players openly and his moods and emotions swing substantially. Moreover, he is slow to react to situations and does not seem to do the logical thing. But, equally you can see that he is trying to outwit the opposition - all too often though he ends up outwitting his own team and fans - is that because the players don't understand or don't want to.

But, whilst I am on the fence on whether Ralph should stay or go (though his credit has run out and assuming he remains he is in the last chance saloon) there is more than just about the players and the manager. There is a lack of clarity about the clubs long term aims and objectives. Yes, we have new owners and you hope they bring a new dawn but all the noise suggests more of the same. For too long now I have sensed a general malaise, that feeling of "as long as we survive, then that is alright". The fight and determination and will to do better that is missing on the pitch seems almost endemic off it. I have said we need another Cortese type figure (without the irrational). Someone who has a vision, plan and does not take under performance lightly at any level.

I have not answered your question but I have tried to put across what I think is some of the underlying issues in the club. All that said (and it may be hard to believe), I love my club and I have reasonable expectations of it. I don't expect us to win the league, I don't want to be a Newcastle in how we obtain and spend money and I will support them at all levels as I have done for the last 46 years. It is not the losing but the manner of losing. I don't expect our club to become a Man City or a Real Madrid but I don't want it to stand still and just accept that just getting by is enough.
Southampton's mentality problem on 08:38 - May 20 with 920 viewsdwayne_dibley

the players have it rough, paid only a few millions a year, having to train three half days a week (like GPs) and delays to ordering their next supercar

no wonder they are depressed

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Southampton's mentality problem on 10:39 - May 20 with 885 viewsSadoldgit

The point about having a core of vocal players is spot on. It isn’t about having one leader on the pitch, it is about having a group of several players who take a more proactive role and help to lift those around them. Ralph himself has said that he wants a team of captains. When they look at recruitment that is something that needs to be factored in.
Back in February I thought that 3 new players would do the trick. I think we are now looking at at least 5 and a complete overhaul of the coaching staff.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 11:25]
Southampton's mentality problem on 12:02 - May 20 with 847 viewsA1079

Southampton's mentality problem on 10:39 - May 20 by Sadoldgit

The point about having a core of vocal players is spot on. It isn’t about having one leader on the pitch, it is about having a group of several players who take a more proactive role and help to lift those around them. Ralph himself has said that he wants a team of captains. When they look at recruitment that is something that needs to be factored in.
Back in February I thought that 3 new players would do the trick. I think we are now looking at at least 5 and a complete overhaul of the coaching staff.

I think you are right SOG.

We lack leadership all over the pitch in all positions. Pep and Klopp said that they do not need to direct all the time because they all know what they should do and know what to tell those next to them. I am not sure we have anyone in any position like that - oh for a Jimmy Case, Steve Williams, et al. JWP is good at what he does (most of the time) but he is no leader and he is too quiet - but I would struggle to pick an alternative in our current squad that can or would do what we are looking for.
Southampton's mentality problem on 12:04 - May 20 with 846 viewssledger

Southampton's mentality problem on 10:39 - May 20 by Sadoldgit

what coaching staff,3 goalkeeping coaches,man on an ipad and an erratic manager
Southampton's mentality problem on 12:59 - May 20 with 824 viewsBazza

Brilliant main article and some good points made by others on here.

The Saints don't need a team of leaders, that is unrealistic and would be chaotic. Personally I think the team needs perhaps 3 leaders; certainly at least one/two on the pitch and others in the changing room. The best leaders are not necessarily the best players or the noisiest but are born to drive, cajole and inspire. Sadly I don't see any in the team at the moment.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton's mentality problem on 19:56 - May 20 with 744 viewssaint68

Our current mentality problem is due to and solely derives from the Austrian idiot in charge..he's managed to sgatter confidence in 95% of the players...

No Ralph ...No problem..it doesn't need analysing..its a glaringly obvious one man made situation.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Southampton's mentality problem on 10:10 - May 21 with 664 viewsBerber

An interesting read. The most significant part being:
“ The harsh reality is that Southampton are not good enough defensively to sit on a lead and see out a win. Their game management is equally as concerning. The best form of defence for Hasenhüttl’s side should be attack. They are at their best when they are on the front foot, applying pressure high up the pitch, and forcing mistakes from opposition defenders who have been given no room to breathe. It is difficult to conceive that the players and coaching staff are not aware of this, but putting this into practice becomes difficult for a side that seem paralysed by fear once they have taken the lead.”

Our CBS have been the biggest weakness throughout the side. Salisu is not able to make up for the deficiencies of Bednarek and Stephens, and towards the end of the season, the responsibility has taken its toll. In so may games, the other CB has opted to pass to Salisui, disregarding if he is in a good enough position to receive it. To his credit, he has always manned up and been ready for the pass. Mostly though, Bednarek and Stephjens have been too easily caught out of position, and not quick enough to recover, whereas Salisu is, and has got himself out of a few difficult situations.

These weaknesses make it difficult for our very effective attacking FBs to carry on without creating significant risks. Our DMs have too often not covered for these deficiencies either. I’d live with McCarthy and Forster in goal if only we could get the CBS sorted.

Djennepo, Redmond, Walcott and Tella can all be moved on as far as I am concerned.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024