Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Alan White 22:10 - May 26 with 1196 viewskingslandstand1

Probably not many Prog rock fans on here, but also lost AW who for those that don't know was the Yes drummer. Managed to see them a couple of times and they only annouced last week that he has had to pull out of a reunion tour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-61600583
RIP Alan White on 23:07 - May 26 with 1143 viewsSadoldgit

Sad news. I saw him many times with Yes and he was an excellent drummer. He also worked with John Lennon and George Harrison before joining Yes. RIP
RIP Alan White on 09:23 - May 27 with 1010 viewsPoirot

depeche mode keyboardist as well yesterday.
RIP Alan White on 11:44 - May 27 with 963 viewsChesham_Saint

RIP Alan White on 23:07 - May 26 by Sadoldgit

Sad news. I saw him many times with Yes and he was an excellent drummer. He also worked with John Lennon and George Harrison before joining Yes. RIP

Didn’t he replace Ringo on the Please Please Me album, as George Martin was not (at that point) happy that Starr was good enough?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

RIP Alan White on 13:04 - May 27 with 946 viewsSadoldgit

RIP Alan White on 11:44 - May 27 by Chesham_Saint

Didn’t he replace Ringo on the Please Please Me album, as George Martin was not (at that point) happy that Starr was good enough?

Not sure about that. He may have been a bit young at that point. He certainly played in the Plastic Ono Band. McCartney sat in on drums occasionally. I need to retract my point about him not being a quality bassist too. Went back and listened to his work and it is quality. I never really thought of The Beatles as virtuosos, more of a solid band with quality songs.
Back to Alan White. I think he was often overlooked as a top drummer because there were so many great drummers around at that time, but his work with Yes was exceptional and his partnership with Chris Squire was perfect for the type of music Yes made. God knows how you deal with those ever changing time signatures, but he was always spot on.
RIP Alan White on 14:54 - May 27 with 926 viewsChesham_Saint

RIP Alan White on 13:04 - May 27 by Sadoldgit

Not sure about that. He may have been a bit young at that point. He certainly played in the Plastic Ono Band. McCartney sat in on drums occasionally. I need to retract my point about him not being a quality bassist too. Went back and listened to his work and it is quality. I never really thought of The Beatles as virtuosos, more of a solid band with quality songs.
Back to Alan White. I think he was often overlooked as a top drummer because there were so many great drummers around at that time, but his work with Yes was exceptional and his partnership with Chris Squire was perfect for the type of music Yes made. God knows how you deal with those ever changing time signatures, but he was always spot on.

My confusion, Sogs. It was Andy White on that first album, not Alan.
[Post edited 27 May 2022 14:55]

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

RIP Alan White on 17:48 - May 27 with 876 viewsSadoldgit

RIP Alan White on 14:54 - May 27 by Chesham_Saint

My confusion, Sogs. It was Andy White on that first album, not Alan.
[Post edited 27 May 2022 14:55]

👍
RIP Alan White on 09:17 - May 29 with 784 viewsBerber

I have a couple of Yes albums gathering dust in the loft somewhere, and only saw them live once. Very enjoyable at the time, but I never feel the need to revisit. We were lucky to grow up at a time of massive musical evolution and talent.

Interesting (and correct) observation about the Beatles being songsters more than musicians. But the song is the most important bit. Dave Gilmour’s crushingly boring technicaly excellent performances bear witness to that.
RIP Alan White on 10:52 - May 29 with 742 viewsSaintNick

RIP Alan White on 09:17 - May 29 by Berber

I have a couple of Yes albums gathering dust in the loft somewhere, and only saw them live once. Very enjoyable at the time, but I never feel the need to revisit. We were lucky to grow up at a time of massive musical evolution and talent.

Interesting (and correct) observation about the Beatles being songsters more than musicians. But the song is the most important bit. Dave Gilmour’s crushingly boring technicaly excellent performances bear witness to that.

I saw Yes at the Gaumont in 1975 when I was 13, like Berber music moved on quickly in the next 18 months, but I do listen to them sometimes, when I want something a bit less frenetic.

I remember the evening well as when I got home my Mum had watched a documentary on Saints on the TV that night and at the end Mike Channon had said he wanted a transfer.

Saints turned it down, he stayed and the rest as they say is history

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

RIP Alan White on 10:53 - May 29 with 741 viewsSadoldgit

A good song can be ruined by a poor arrangement though. I don’t disagree about Dave Gilmour and was never a great Pink Floyd fan although I have a few of their pieces on my playlist. I still listen to Yes. There were so many amazing musicians around in the 70’s making amazing music. They took rock to a whole new level. The thing with The Beatles was that they gave up playing live and just concentrated on recording at a time when rock was really taking off as a live phenomenon. The likes of Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Keith Emerson, Ian Anderson, Peter Gabriel etc shifted the live experience up several notches from the late sixties into the early 70’s. The number of classic albums that were produced from 1969 to around 1973 was incredible and of course The Beatles called it a day in 1970. They will always be my favourite band but I go elsewhere if I want to listen to amazing musicianship. Albums like In The Court of the Crimson King, Thick as a Brick, Brain Salad Surgery, Relayer, Foxtrot, The Yes Album, Trilogy are timeless and have not been surpassed for creativity in 50 years. I think a lot of music is derivative now and feel lucky to have been around the concert scene when there was so many great bands around.
RIP Alan White on 14:54 - May 30 with 695 viewsBerber

RIP Alan White on 10:53 - May 29 by Sadoldgit

A good song can be ruined by a poor arrangement though. I don’t disagree about Dave Gilmour and was never a great Pink Floyd fan although I have a few of their pieces on my playlist. I still listen to Yes. There were so many amazing musicians around in the 70’s making amazing music. They took rock to a whole new level. The thing with The Beatles was that they gave up playing live and just concentrated on recording at a time when rock was really taking off as a live phenomenon. The likes of Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Keith Emerson, Ian Anderson, Peter Gabriel etc shifted the live experience up several notches from the late sixties into the early 70’s. The number of classic albums that were produced from 1969 to around 1973 was incredible and of course The Beatles called it a day in 1970. They will always be my favourite band but I go elsewhere if I want to listen to amazing musicianship. Albums like In The Court of the Crimson King, Thick as a Brick, Brain Salad Surgery, Relayer, Foxtrot, The Yes Album, Trilogy are timeless and have not been surpassed for creativity in 50 years. I think a lot of music is derivative now and feel lucky to have been around the concert scene when there was so many great bands around.

In the Court of the Crimson King, haha, a great album and a fantastic cover pic. Before we downsized, we had a big display of the best album covers (vinyl still inside) pinned to the wall of our stairwell and landing. This was one of them, along with Stranded (Roxy), Who Live at Leeds (not fancy I know, but grubby and worn from being played so many times, Meddle (Dark side of the Moon graphic was a bit naff), Sgt Pepper, The White Album (what a statement), Yardbirds (before Clapton left), a Motown Compilation (proper Soul music) and loads more. Oh, and that Hot Chocolate one with the Malteser on the lips. I didn’t like the music, and not a fan of Errol “damp knickers”, but just had to have the cover. It rather made me think of Marianne Faithful and the Mars Bar.

Despite the recent travails, I really think we have been a blessed generation, and if we only did a quarter of what we dreamed, we still did too much.
RIP Alan White on 16:27 - May 30 with 680 viewsSadoldgit

RIP Alan White on 14:54 - May 30 by Berber

In the Court of the Crimson King, haha, a great album and a fantastic cover pic. Before we downsized, we had a big display of the best album covers (vinyl still inside) pinned to the wall of our stairwell and landing. This was one of them, along with Stranded (Roxy), Who Live at Leeds (not fancy I know, but grubby and worn from being played so many times, Meddle (Dark side of the Moon graphic was a bit naff), Sgt Pepper, The White Album (what a statement), Yardbirds (before Clapton left), a Motown Compilation (proper Soul music) and loads more. Oh, and that Hot Chocolate one with the Malteser on the lips. I didn’t like the music, and not a fan of Errol “damp knickers”, but just had to have the cover. It rather made me think of Marianne Faithful and the Mars Bar.

Despite the recent travails, I really think we have been a blessed generation, and if we only did a quarter of what we dreamed, we still did too much.

Happy days!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024