Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Second favourites for relegation 23:05 - Jul 18 with 13896 viewsdalebolt

According to Sky Bet we are second favourites for relegation after Barrow. We are 9/2 to go down. Forgive me for being overly optimistic but I thought we’d be top ten this season. Obviously Stockport are favourites to win the league. Other bookies have us struggling to stay up as well.
Second favourites for relegation on 09:24 - Jul 25 with 3277 viewsleedsdale

The D3D4 podcast have us in 20th

The Dale section is around the 15 minute mark. Some fair comments, especially around more expectation on the manager this season.
Second favourites for relegation on 09:31 - Jul 25 with 3245 viewsHullDale

Its an interesting one with all of the predictions I'm seeing so far - most have us between 20th and 23rd.

I know a a lot are a lazy combination of last season's finish / EOC, COK, Morley, Beesley going etc, but I'm genuinely surprised people aren't pencilling us in for a bottom half of mid table finish. Hopefully a few teams might underestimate us & we get some points on the board early doors!
Second favourites for relegation on 09:51 - Jul 25 with 3162 viewsAtThePeake

Second favourites for relegation on 09:31 - Jul 25 by HullDale

Its an interesting one with all of the predictions I'm seeing so far - most have us between 20th and 23rd.

I know a a lot are a lazy combination of last season's finish / EOC, COK, Morley, Beesley going etc, but I'm genuinely surprised people aren't pencilling us in for a bottom half of mid table finish. Hopefully a few teams might underestimate us & we get some points on the board early doors!

Add Dorsett and Grant to the 4 mentioned there, plus the question marks over the manager's ability at the moment.

While we are excited by the transfer business, from the outside looking in, I can see why people might not be too impressed. The likes of Hendo, Diagouraga and O'Donnell are coming towards the end of their careers, Rodney and Sinclair have hardly lit up the league in their previous spells elsewhere, there are fitness question marks over EEL and John, plus Seriki hasn't played a game in the EFL as yet. We know that we needed characters and experience and we've addressed issues that we needed to address - but if another L2 club had signed the same players that we've signed this summer after finishing in the bottom third of the table and still had the same manager, I wouldn't exactly be tipping them up for a big improvement this time around.

I'm not saying I think our recruitment has been bad this summer. Really, only time will tell on that front - but I can understand why non-Dale fans aren't as enthusiastic about this team's chances as we are at the moment.

Tangled up in blue.

Second favourites for relegation on 09:56 - Jul 25 with 3144 viewssamueloneils

You have to allow that our home wins record is the worst in the whole of the football league over the past 3 seasons (level with Wimbledom) and is approx half what an average team achieved.

My observation of last season is that we started home games defensively ( some people called it tippy-tappy through midfield) and most teams had us worked out early on and went on to attack.

Although we are very vulnerable in central defence right now, unless RS produces someone like Downing late on to support EEL, I think midfield will be the key.

This is a big season for Liam Kelly who now can be pushed forward to create openings for Rodney, Henderson and co. No more letting him trying to cover every blade of grass (he is especially dangerous in his own penalty area).and he should have good support from Brierley. Tooms looks to be good in collecting and feeding from defence and is a better bet than Ball.

IMO
Second favourites for relegation on 10:00 - Jul 25 with 3108 viewsHullDale

Second favourites for relegation on 09:51 - Jul 25 by AtThePeake

Add Dorsett and Grant to the 4 mentioned there, plus the question marks over the manager's ability at the moment.

While we are excited by the transfer business, from the outside looking in, I can see why people might not be too impressed. The likes of Hendo, Diagouraga and O'Donnell are coming towards the end of their careers, Rodney and Sinclair have hardly lit up the league in their previous spells elsewhere, there are fitness question marks over EEL and John, plus Seriki hasn't played a game in the EFL as yet. We know that we needed characters and experience and we've addressed issues that we needed to address - but if another L2 club had signed the same players that we've signed this summer after finishing in the bottom third of the table and still had the same manager, I wouldn't exactly be tipping them up for a big improvement this time around.

I'm not saying I think our recruitment has been bad this summer. Really, only time will tell on that front - but I can understand why non-Dale fans aren't as enthusiastic about this team's chances as we are at the moment.

The other thing feeding in this year is that, Colchester aside, there are no clear candidates for relegation.

We said last year that there wasn't a huge gulf between the top teams and the bottom teams - anybody could beat anybody on their day... I think it will be even tighter this season and a couple of bad injuries / disciplinary issues / elongated loss of form could see a lot of teams drift into trouble.
Second favourites for relegation on 10:06 - Jul 25 with 3093 viewsAtThePeake

Second favourites for relegation on 10:00 - Jul 25 by HullDale

The other thing feeding in this year is that, Colchester aside, there are no clear candidates for relegation.

We said last year that there wasn't a huge gulf between the top teams and the bottom teams - anybody could beat anybody on their day... I think it will be even tighter this season and a couple of bad injuries / disciplinary issues / elongated loss of form could see a lot of teams drift into trouble.

Agreed. A few teams (ourselves included) were saved from a proper relegation battle by just how bad Scunthorpe and Oldham were. I don't see anyone being quite so hopeless this time around, think it'll be much tighter towards the bottom.

Tangled up in blue.

Second favourites for relegation on 10:34 - Jul 25 with 3000 viewsTalkingSutty

Second favourites for relegation on 10:06 - Jul 25 by AtThePeake

Agreed. A few teams (ourselves included) were saved from a proper relegation battle by just how bad Scunthorpe and Oldham were. I don't see anyone being quite so hopeless this time around, think it'll be much tighter towards the bottom.

The players who departed over the last 18 months didn’t exactly pull up any trees anyway, i don’t think any of them are a massive loss..in fact the biggest loss of all is now back inside the Club, Hendo.

I like the look of the team this year, plenty of height,power and pace. The manager has the experience of last season behind him now and he was spot on last week to highlight the number of drawn games we endured,with a stronger forward line at his disposal i think drawn games could now be converted into wins.

If the emphasis is to take the game to our opponents from the off and play in their half then I reckon we will have a decent season, we also need consistency of performance for the duration of a game rather than one good and one bad half of football. Stockdale has now had three transfer windows and re-shaped the squad, it’s up to him to get us playing some entertaining attacking football now rather than the dull, walking football that we’ve been served up over the last few years.
Second favourites for relegation on 10:39 - Jul 25 with 2987 viewsJames1980

Hopefully Robbie, Jimmy and the rest of the coaching staff can use these predictions of mediocrity or doom to foster a seige mentality and inspire the troops

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Login to get fewer ads

Second favourites for relegation on 11:14 - Jul 25 with 2901 views442Dale

Second favourites for relegation on 10:34 - Jul 25 by TalkingSutty

The players who departed over the last 18 months didn’t exactly pull up any trees anyway, i don’t think any of them are a massive loss..in fact the biggest loss of all is now back inside the Club, Hendo.

I like the look of the team this year, plenty of height,power and pace. The manager has the experience of last season behind him now and he was spot on last week to highlight the number of drawn games we endured,with a stronger forward line at his disposal i think drawn games could now be converted into wins.

If the emphasis is to take the game to our opponents from the off and play in their half then I reckon we will have a decent season, we also need consistency of performance for the duration of a game rather than one good and one bad half of football. Stockdale has now had three transfer windows and re-shaped the squad, it’s up to him to get us playing some entertaining attacking football now rather than the dull, walking football that we’ve been served up over the last few years.

Some good points, TS. We do indeed need to play in the opposition half and try and impose ourselves better on games.

One thing we have the opportunity to do in terms of flexibility within games is shift quickly to a back four, as John is obviously comfortable going forward down the left. That’s why it’s worth starting Odoh at LWB with The Swiss Superman (you can’t use that one, it’s been done before) out; he could then be pushed further forward into a front three without even needing to make a sub.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Second favourites for relegation on 11:29 - Jul 25 with 2863 viewsAtThePeake

Second favourites for relegation on 10:34 - Jul 25 by TalkingSutty

I think your first line a little harsh, particularly on EOC (two POTY awards in three seasons with us) and Beesley, who was our top scorer last season despite only playing 21 games before moving to a Championship club.

Tangled up in blue.

Second favourites for relegation on 11:33 - Jul 25 with 2847 viewsColDale

I think we'll concede less, especially with us having a defensive midfielder now, and I think we'll score more than last season given Hendo brings us exactly what was missed last year - someone being in the right place at the right time. That in itself should bring us a few more points.
Second favourites for relegation on 11:40 - Jul 25 with 2828 viewsAtThePeake

Second favourites for relegation on 11:33 - Jul 25 by ColDale

I think we'll concede less, especially with us having a defensive midfielder now, and I think we'll score more than last season given Hendo brings us exactly what was missed last year - someone being in the right place at the right time. That in itself should bring us a few more points.

We need to ensure we're still creating those same chances for Hendo to finish though. 11 of our players managed more than one assist last season but only two of them (Kelly with 3 and Keohane with 2) remain.

Tangled up in blue.

Second favourites for relegation on 11:56 - Jul 25 with 2756 views442Dale

Second favourites for relegation on 11:40 - Jul 25 by AtThePeake

We need to ensure we're still creating those same chances for Hendo to finish though. 11 of our players managed more than one assist last season but only two of them (Kelly with 3 and Keohane with 2) remain.

Kelly has to step up because not sure Ball is creator as such. If not, Brierley is the other option at present. I know it’s pointless, but Grant would have been a perfect fit in that midfield three now.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Second favourites for relegation on 12:10 - Jul 25 with 2705 viewsTVOS1907

Second favourites for relegation on 10:06 - Jul 25 by AtThePeake

However, it's impossible to predict if anyone will or won't be so hopeless at this stage.

Having done a bit of research on Crewe this weekend, they won their second-lowest amount of games in 40 years last season and also got their second-lowest points total since three points for a win was introduced.

They have a rookie management team and their main summer recruits have been two defenders from Carlisle.

I know they'll probably beat us on Saturday now I've said all that, but unless every other squad is analysed in minute detail, it's very difficult at this stage to say whether there will or won't be an Oldham/Scunthorpe.

* unless you're Gab Sutton.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Second favourites for relegation on 12:57 - Jul 25 with 2579 viewsAtThePeake

Second favourites for relegation on 12:10 - Jul 25 by TVOS1907

However, it's impossible to predict if anyone will or won't be so hopeless at this stage.

Having done a bit of research on Crewe this weekend, they won their second-lowest amount of games in 40 years last season and also got their second-lowest points total since three points for a win was introduced.

They have a rookie management team and their main summer recruits have been two defenders from Carlisle.

I know they'll probably beat us on Saturday now I've said all that, but unless every other squad is analysed in minute detail, it's very difficult at this stage to say whether there will or won't be an Oldham/Scunthorpe.

All fair points and I'm basing it on nothing more than a hunch really, but the league does look stronger to me this time around based on the teams that have come up looking strong and some of the teams that struggled last season seeming to have a better manager in place now in Barrow & Stevenage. (Although I'm not an Evans fan, I'd be shocked if he took them down).

For what it's worth, I'm backing us for the win on Saturday and I see Crewe as being one of the teams that are struggling towards the bottom.

Tangled up in blue.

Second favourites for relegation on 13:09 - Jul 25 with 2539 viewsTVOS1907

Second favourites for relegation on 12:57 - Jul 25 by AtThePeake

All fair points and I'm basing it on nothing more than a hunch really, but the league does look stronger to me this time around based on the teams that have come up looking strong and some of the teams that struggled last season seeming to have a better manager in place now in Barrow & Stevenage. (Although I'm not an Evans fan, I'd be shocked if he took them down).

For what it's worth, I'm backing us for the win on Saturday and I see Crewe as being one of the teams that are struggling towards the bottom.

I would add I'm hopeless at predictions, which is why I don't bet on football!

Second favourites for relegation on 16:15 - Jul 25 with 2304 viewsTalkingSutty

Second favourites for relegation on 11:29 - Jul 25 by AtThePeake

I think your first line a little harsh, particularly on EOC (two POTY awards in three seasons with us) and Beesley, who was our top scorer last season despite only playing 21 games before moving to a Championship club.

Yes, on reflection my comment was a bit harsh regarding Beesley, his game was improving leaps and bounds. EOC was a decent lower league centre half but I think his performances were over hyped at times, he was prone to errors just like the rest of the defenders. We’ve had better down the years such as Mark Monnington, he also chipped in with plenty of goals. Morley was the victim of poor management and was often played in a withdrawn roll so we didn’t see the best of him and the same could be said for Camps.
Second favourites for relegation on 20:03 - Jul 25 with 2013 viewsscarrow

Second favourites for relegation on 12:10 - Jul 25 by TVOS1907

Gab Sutton predicting us to go down gives me more confidence. So much drivel from a tv wannabe

Poll: Final position

Second favourites for relegation on 20:08 - Jul 25 with 2002 viewsShun

Second favourites for relegation on 09:12 - Jul 25 by kel

Don’t question the EXPERT. His arse kisser won’t like it.

Devo’d.
Second favourites for relegation on 20:10 - Jul 25 with 1989 viewsShun

Second favourites for relegation on 11:40 - Jul 25 by AtThePeake

It’s a good point, but I think our lack of goals last season was less to do with the creativity and more to do with our profligacy in front of goal. Stats-wise, we were one of the most creative teams in the league, having created more chances than the vast majority of other teams. Having someone like Henderson in to get on the end of some of these chances fills me with hope that we’ll be absolutely find this season.
Second favourites for relegation on 20:12 - Jul 25 with 1987 viewsHullDale

I often wonder with some of these that are done for bookies (Gab Sutton with Bet Victor, for example) if they are slightly deliberately vague / random / provocative to drive bets into the business.

Bradford fans, for example, seem peeved he has them in mid table - but that lengthens their odds for promotion so are they more likely to lump on in the hope of a big win?

Just a theory.
Second favourites for relegation on 21:01 - Jul 25 with 1911 viewsjonahwhereru

Second favourites for relegation on 20:12 - Jul 25 by HullDale

I often wonder with some of these that are done for bookies (Gab Sutton with Bet Victor, for example) if they are slightly deliberately vague / random / provocative to drive bets into the business.

Bradford fans, for example, seem peeved he has them in mid table - but that lengthens their odds for promotion so are they more likely to lump on in the hope of a big win?

Just a theory.

Think your theory is spot one. Bookmakers only link with “pundits” to generate income. The pundits thoughts will be discussed with an odds compiler and in larger firms a product manager to compile a book with the view of generating the highest possible % of losing bets. So in the case of Bradford they are going to be responsible for up to 20% of the bets on league 2. The bookmakers will make their books around them an may be 2 other teams. So in the case of BetVictor they will say thanks Gab but regardless of your thoughts we want to lay Bradford for this amount at this level of pay out. Now tell us what you think about Hartlepool.
Second favourites for relegation on 21:10 - Jul 25 with 1876 viewsTVOS1907

Second favourites for relegation on 20:12 - Jul 25 by HullDale

Just a theory.

You could possibly be right.

In the case of Gab Sutton, where he has placed us isn't really relevant, but saying Charman is our first choice striker shows how much notice should be taken of him.

Second favourites for relegation on 21:41 - Jul 25 with 1778 viewskel

Second favourites for relegation on 20:03 - Jul 25 by scarrow

Gab Sutton predicting us to go down gives me more confidence. So much drivel from a tv wannabe

If he wants to be on tv then someone needs to introduce the lad to a bottle of shampoo first.
Second favourites for relegation on 09:20 - Jul 26 with 1458 viewsAtThePeake

Second favourites for relegation on 20:10 - Jul 25 by Shun

It’s a good point, but I think our lack of goals last season was less to do with the creativity and more to do with our profligacy in front of goal. Stats-wise, we were one of the most creative teams in the league, having created more chances than the vast majority of other teams. Having someone like Henderson in to get on the end of some of these chances fills me with hope that we’ll be absolutely find this season.

Absolutely, but my point is we've lost the more 'creative' players from the team that created those chances in O'Keeffe (who got more than double the amount of assists than any other player in our squad last season), Grant and even to some extent Newby. Even Dooley made more final third passes than anyone else in our squad last year.

I'm very confident we'll finish a higher percentage of our chances this season, but I'm not confident that we'll create as many.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024