Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Port Vale 14:02 - Jul 23 with 11364 viewsleedsdale

Looks like RS may have settled on a first XI
Port Vale on 19:59 - Jul 23 with 4500 viewsRotherhamDale

Thanks for the update 442.

What shape did we play?

5-2-1-2? Width provided by wing backs?

Stockdale said the shape was slightly different than last season in his interview

Possession with progression.

Port Vale on 20:08 - Jul 23 with 4456 views442Dale

Port Vale on 19:59 - Jul 23 by RotherhamDale

Thanks for the update 442.

What shape did we play?

5-2-1-2? Width provided by wing backs?

Stockdale said the shape was slightly different than last season in his interview

3-5-2. The wing backs are noticeably higher up than last season whilst the midfield three are exactly that, Diagouraga being the one that sits centrally with Ball and Kelly either side. The biggest difference is it’s a proper front two. They shift across the pitch as required when the opposition have the ball at the back to ensure the midfield keeps its shape.

John is definitely given licence to join attacks and overlap and Keohane’s injury is a disappointment in more ways than one as he knows how to utilise this, with the added ability to recognise the need to fill in when a central defender goes forward. Tactically it’s quite interesting, but I thought it was early on last season as well before it became a bit too inflexible. Hopefully that’s been addressed this time round. Fingers crossed for the Swissmeister (don’t go nicking that football analysts everywhere), because while he may have been overlooked a bit, there’s a feeling he could have been vital this season. An assist and a goal in the last two games illustrates why.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Port Vale on 20:36 - Jul 23 with 4328 views49thseason

Port Vale on 20:08 - Jul 23 by 442Dale

3-5-2. The wing backs are noticeably higher up than last season whilst the midfield three are exactly that, Diagouraga being the one that sits centrally with Ball and Kelly either side. The biggest difference is it’s a proper front two. They shift across the pitch as required when the opposition have the ball at the back to ensure the midfield keeps its shape.

John is definitely given licence to join attacks and overlap and Keohane’s injury is a disappointment in more ways than one as he knows how to utilise this, with the added ability to recognise the need to fill in when a central defender goes forward. Tactically it’s quite interesting, but I thought it was early on last season as well before it became a bit too inflexible. Hopefully that’s been addressed this time round. Fingers crossed for the Swissmeister (don’t go nicking that football analysts everywhere), because while he may have been overlooked a bit, there’s a feeling he could have been vital this season. An assist and a goal in the last two games illustrates why.

Seemed to me that Diagouraga also dropped back into the back 3 when EEL went forward on a charge at one stage... good vision and awareness.
I liked the pace at which we moved the ball and it was noticeable that there were far fewer backwards passes in the first half as "pass and move" was working really well.
I thought Kelly was working much harder and seemed to have another yard or two of pace.
Rodney was a handful and although he tired after half time, Hendo was using all his experience to real effect.
All in all there seemed to be more pace, more hustle and much more of a sense that there were square pegs in square holes than last season. Too early to get excited but an encouraging performance against a big, aggressive team. The ref was poor but what's new about that? Hope Jimmy is OK because it was poorer without him.
Port Vale on 21:47 - Jul 23 with 4093 viewsChaffRAFC

Very much a 3-5-2 formation as 442 says. Diagouraga sat deeper as Seriki and Keohane pushed on and also John who I thought looked really good on the ball and gets forward more than Haydon Roberts did! Can't remember ever seeing a Dale centre back take a corner before either. Kelly and Ball more advanced with Rodney and Henderson up front. In Rodney, it feels like we have a genuine target man who's quick as well. He impressed me. Very noticeable that we tried to get the ball into the feet of the forwards from centre back. And we scored twice from doing so.

The side feels more balanced with a three man midfield and two forwards and despite going ahead against the run of play today, I did feel we got better and better as the first half went on. The Keohane injury hindered us and we never really recovered as White I thought was really poor. Definitely a requirement to bring in a left wing back now as a matter of urgency. As soon as the foot was left in on Swiss, it looked a bad one and instantly thought broken foot.

The second half was poor on the whole and the substitutes didn't have a positive impact on the game unfortunately.

With the squad we have now, the side we started with today should start the game next week. If we're without Keohane, I would look at possibly utilising Odoh as LWB if we can't bring someone else in.

Don't know if it's just me but James Ball looked slightly off the pace, he looked absolutely knackered midway through the second half.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Port Vale on 21:58 - Jul 23 with 4043 viewsisitme

Chaff. I agree about Rodney and I think our midfield was a bit anonymous second half. Whatever happens with Jimmy we cannot start White next week.
Port Vale on 00:21 - Jul 24 with 3737 viewsShun

Port Vale on 21:47 - Jul 23 by ChaffRAFC

Very much a 3-5-2 formation as 442 says. Diagouraga sat deeper as Seriki and Keohane pushed on and also John who I thought looked really good on the ball and gets forward more than Haydon Roberts did! Can't remember ever seeing a Dale centre back take a corner before either. Kelly and Ball more advanced with Rodney and Henderson up front. In Rodney, it feels like we have a genuine target man who's quick as well. He impressed me. Very noticeable that we tried to get the ball into the feet of the forwards from centre back. And we scored twice from doing so.

The side feels more balanced with a three man midfield and two forwards and despite going ahead against the run of play today, I did feel we got better and better as the first half went on. The Keohane injury hindered us and we never really recovered as White I thought was really poor. Definitely a requirement to bring in a left wing back now as a matter of urgency. As soon as the foot was left in on Swiss, it looked a bad one and instantly thought broken foot.

The second half was poor on the whole and the substitutes didn't have a positive impact on the game unfortunately.

With the squad we have now, the side we started with today should start the game next week. If we're without Keohane, I would look at possibly utilising Odoh as LWB if we can't bring someone else in.

Don't know if it's just me but James Ball looked slightly off the pace, he looked absolutely knackered midway through the second half.

Good summary.

I’d definitely be looking to start Odoh at LWB next week if we can’t get anyone in before then. He always impressed me the few times he played there last season.

Up front what are people’s opinions? Rodney and Henderson nailed on?
Port Vale on 07:37 - Jul 24 with 3510 viewsRAFCBLUE

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Port Vale on 07:47 - Jul 24 with 3476 viewsrichfoad32

Port Vale on 00:21 - Jul 24 by Shun

Good summary.

I’d definitely be looking to start Odoh at LWB next week if we can’t get anyone in before then. He always impressed me the few times he played there last season.

Up front what are people’s opinions? Rodney and Henderson nailed on?

I'd say the team that started yesterday is the one most likely to start next week, minus Jimmy K of course. Bit harsh on Charman, who I thought was starting to look the part at the end of last season, I hope if he doesn't start it doesn't affect his confidence/morale as he'll have a big part to play over the course of the season. It's a nice dilemma to have.

Bit concerned about the midfield, never really been sold on Kelly or Ball but will hopefully be proved wrong (again).
Login to get fewer ads

Port Vale on 08:35 - Jul 24 with 3357 viewsDaley_Lama

Port Vale on 07:47 - Jul 24 by richfoad32

I'd say the team that started yesterday is the one most likely to start next week, minus Jimmy K of course. Bit harsh on Charman, who I thought was starting to look the part at the end of last season, I hope if he doesn't start it doesn't affect his confidence/morale as he'll have a big part to play over the course of the season. It's a nice dilemma to have.

Bit concerned about the midfield, never really been sold on Kelly or Ball but will hopefully be proved wrong (again).

In John, White, ELS, Dio and Hendo we have a heap of experience in the team that perhaps wasn’t there last season.

A thing i thought last season was that we lost the midfield battle in many games and Kelly and Ball had tough games yesterday.

Sereki grew in confidence as the game went on and could be one to watch this season

Poll: DF in or out

Port Vale on 08:50 - Jul 24 with 3314 viewsisitme

Port Vale on 08:35 - Jul 24 by Daley_Lama

In John, White, ELS, Dio and Hendo we have a heap of experience in the team that perhaps wasn’t there last season.

A thing i thought last season was that we lost the midfield battle in many games and Kelly and Ball had tough games yesterday.

Sereki grew in confidence as the game went on and could be one to watch this season

I thought Sereki looked good going forward, although he got caught under the ball for the header for their third and was it his poor back pass? I do think there is a talent in there, especially going forward.

I really liked the look of John especially his ability to come out with the ball from the back. We are noticeably a bigger side.

As others have mentioned Rodney and Henderson to start up top.
Port Vale on 10:44 - Jul 24 with 3017 viewsmikehunt

All of the above plus my slight worries are that we still don't have anyone who can run at a team. We rely on short, sharp passing: which if fair enough when it comes off. However, when this gets sussed and controlled by the opposition and they keep a high line - as yesterday - we don't seem to have a plan B. Not an effective one at any rate.
We did start confidently though and made PV look very ordinary. Gifting them a pen and Swissy's injury unsettled us though.
What were your thoughts on O'Donnel? Bit flat-footed for both their goals, I thought; although the element of surprise for their long-range shot played a part in his slow-reaction, I'm sure. He didn't have much else to do to be fair. (These are my impression from my mental replay, by the way. I will check out the footage to assess the reality).
Only a friendly but disappointing not to be able to hold on to a lead and, as last season, seem to lose our way part way through a game. Whether that is a concentration thing or us trying to change tactics, I'm not sure but a trend that needs stamping out.

Definitely some impressive aspects to our game, though. Once this bunch gels further, I feel good things could happen.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Port Vale on 11:03 - Jul 24 with 2958 viewsD_Alien

Port Vale on 07:47 - Jul 24 by richfoad32

Mirrors my thoughts on Charman. His displays towards the end of last season as he grew in confidence through starting showed he could be a real handful for any L2 defence, with strong running, ball retention and finally, goals

Strengthening our options up front is always welcome, and RS has obliged. I'd be disappointed if Charman doesn't get the opportunities to continue his progress and it seems like he needs to feel valued, which is part of man-management

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Port Vale on 12:43 - Jul 25 with 2082 viewsBucketBstard

Port Vale on 11:03 - Jul 24 by D_Alien

Mirrors my thoughts on Charman. His displays towards the end of last season as he grew in confidence through starting showed he could be a real handful for any L2 defence, with strong running, ball retention and finally, goals

Strengthening our options up front is always welcome, and RS has obliged. I'd be disappointed if Charman doesn't get the opportunities to continue his progress and it seems like he needs to feel valued, which is part of man-management

Both Charman and Campbell( when fit) should be given a chance.
Are we all creaming our Knicks about Devante Rodney, played 164 games score 32 goals ........for the likes of Halifax , Salford , oh a good spell at Port Vale and not one goal for Walsall. FFS that is very worrying indeed.
Port Vale on 12:45 - Jul 25 with 2069 viewsBucketBstard

Port Vale on 17:33 - Jul 23 by Me1

Did Bury AFC play ?

Sorry I read that wrong ...
I thought you said Did Bury AFC PAY !
Well on past performances I very much doubt it . And as for the disgusting shambles that is Hornets , go watch and support a proper amateur team in Mayfield !
Port Vale on 17:54 - Jul 25 with 1783 views442Dale

Port Vale on 12:45 - Jul 25 by BucketBstard

Sorry I read that wrong ...
I thought you said Did Bury AFC PAY !
Well on past performances I very much doubt it . And as for the disgusting shambles that is Hornets , go watch and support a proper amateur team in Mayfield !

Bury AFC are very well run, producing regular financial reports for their supporters.

But you knew that.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Port Vale on 18:18 - Jul 25 with 1692 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Port Vale on 17:54 - Jul 25 by 442Dale

Bury AFC are very well run, producing regular financial reports for their supporters.

But you knew that.

He was right though what he said about Hornets. Must confess I got confused about the Bury bit, confusing the two clubs.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Port Vale on 20:00 - Jul 25 with 1493 views49thseason

I am not sure too many defences with relish the prospect of dealing with Hendo and Rodney for an hour or so and then to be confronted by Charman and Sinclair or Odoh for another 30 mins. Sinclair looks very quick, and will relish getting amongst some tired defenders, he also has the element of "devilment" about him that will cause all sorts of troubles, just like the younger Hendo used to do. The question is will he get more cards than goals?
I expect Charman will kick on a bit too, competition for places keeps players sharper We now have much more competition for places than last season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024