Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stevenage (a) Match Thread 07:59 - Aug 16 with 31584 viewsHullDale

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 23:12 - Aug 16 with 3430 viewsmikehunt

Does being a fan owned club mean they get a say in who the manager should be?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 23:48 - Aug 16 with 3248 viewsNewbury_Dale

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 23:12 - Aug 16 by mikehunt

Does being a fan owned club mean they get a say in who the manager should be?

Appreciate I might be swimming against the tide but I'd like to see RS given ten games at least.

I'd like to see Tavvon Campbell fit and playing off a target man (Rodney). I saw him play a load for Woking with Inni Efiong as targetman, and he was very impressive. He did not have a target man to play off last season. I think he could make a real difference up top personally.

I'd like to see the intelligence of Jimmy Keohane back at left wing back.

I'd also like to see Connor Malley get match fit and given a chance in centre mid where we are toothless ATM.

To build a new squad and then sack the manager in August to me would be wrong.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 23:48]
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 23:55 - Aug 16 with 3194 viewskel

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 23:48 - Aug 16 by Newbury_Dale

Appreciate I might be swimming against the tide but I'd like to see RS given ten games at least.

I'd like to see Tavvon Campbell fit and playing off a target man (Rodney). I saw him play a load for Woking with Inni Efiong as targetman, and he was very impressive. He did not have a target man to play off last season. I think he could make a real difference up top personally.

I'd also like to see Connor Malley get match fit and given a chance in centre mid where we are toothless ATM.

Not sure we’ll be seeing Campbell within said 10 games.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 23:57 - Aug 16 with 3191 viewsJames1980

Was tonight worse than the Gillingham game?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 01:54 - Aug 17 with 2978 viewsSandyman

Nice guy, I wish him well in the future but he is not what RAFC needs right now. What he produces on the pitch is damaging the club. We're seeing the worst bits of last season with new players (who the board have trusted him to bring in) so who is organising them to play that way? It's insipid, uninspiring and predictably repetitive (everyone back for corners with no outlet up front, zonal marking at set pieces, etc etc etc WHICH DOES NOT WORK) and other managers can see it in the blink of an eye. Easy for them. Players and fans alike have clearly had enough of this tactical sham . Tonight's interview was devoid of honesty, which is sad because I think RS is an honest man. He was clutching at straws. Brian Barry Bullshit he is not, but the game is up.

The result? Where the EFL is concerned,

We've got the worst team in the land

Given off the field matters, we can not afford a divided club and RS is, unwittingly, creating a division with managerial ineptitude. No one man is EVER bigger than the club. Keith Hill, Stockdale, Roger, Ian Henderson, Simon Gauge, Gary Jones, Reg Jenkins, Moggy, anybody. Regrettably, the need for change is obvious. It's got that bad on the pitch.

RAFC first, last and always. #UTDNFS
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 2:06]
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 03:03 - Aug 17 with 2907 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

"Tonight's interview was devoid of honesty, which is sad because I think RS is an honest man."

Agree on that, the interview had a feeling of 'broken man' about it which is a shame as there's no reason to believe Stockdale hasn't tried to do his best.

In addition, the players should not be admonished of their responsibility within the piece. If they're not performing because they're not good enough - they should be moved on. If they're not performing due to conflict with the Manager - they should also be moved on.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 04:46 - Aug 17 with 2851 viewsrichfoad32

Is Rodney really a target man though? Not that he's been bad this season but he rarely wins or even comes close to winning a header from balls played up to him and the ball comes straight back at us. He'd probably benefit from playing along side one himself.

I'm not sure we have a true target man to be honest, Charman would probably fit the description best but who knows when and if we'll see him again? What little faith Stockdale seemed to have in him might have disappeared completely after the Crewe game.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 05:12 - Aug 17 with 2823 viewsrichfoad32

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 23:57 - Aug 16 by James1980

Was tonight worse than the Gillingham game?

Probably on a par to be honest. Both produced nothing of note to get excited about and we already look devoid of confidence, tonight looked like we'd settle for 0-0 from the get go. Talking to the opposition fans of both afterwards they've said that we're by far the worst team they've seen for a long time and not in a mocking way (well, most!) either, just genuine. How long do we continue to hang our hat on one decent 25 minutes against Grimsby when for the most part we've been turgid? (cup game notwithstanding, remember even under Eyre we beat QPR!). I honestly don't see where any consistent points are going to come from at present, not to mention the opposition will be able to smell blood when they play us.

Maybe I'm way off the mark and suddenly we'll just click and string a few results together but I'm seriously worried tonight.
Login to get fewer ads

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 06:37 - Aug 17 with 2692 viewspaulscho

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 01:54 - Aug 17 by Sandyman

Nice guy, I wish him well in the future but he is not what RAFC needs right now. What he produces on the pitch is damaging the club. We're seeing the worst bits of last season with new players (who the board have trusted him to bring in) so who is organising them to play that way? It's insipid, uninspiring and predictably repetitive (everyone back for corners with no outlet up front, zonal marking at set pieces, etc etc etc WHICH DOES NOT WORK) and other managers can see it in the blink of an eye. Easy for them. Players and fans alike have clearly had enough of this tactical sham . Tonight's interview was devoid of honesty, which is sad because I think RS is an honest man. He was clutching at straws. Brian Barry Bullshit he is not, but the game is up.

The result? Where the EFL is concerned,

Given off the field matters, we can not afford a divided club and RS is, unwittingly, creating a division with managerial ineptitude. No one man is EVER bigger than the club. Keith Hill, Stockdale, Roger, Ian Henderson, Simon Gauge, Gary Jones, Reg Jenkins, Moggy, anybody. Regrettably, the need for change is obvious. It's got that bad on the pitch.

RAFC first, last and always. #UTDNFS
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 2:06]

OUT OUT OUT
Immediately

livinginadalewonderland

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 07:00 - Aug 17 with 2608 viewsJames1980

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 05:12 - Aug 17 by richfoad32

Probably on a par to be honest. Both produced nothing of note to get excited about and we already look devoid of confidence, tonight looked like we'd settle for 0-0 from the get go. Talking to the opposition fans of both afterwards they've said that we're by far the worst team they've seen for a long time and not in a mocking way (well, most!) either, just genuine. How long do we continue to hang our hat on one decent 25 minutes against Grimsby when for the most part we've been turgid? (cup game notwithstanding, remember even under Eyre we beat QPR!). I honestly don't see where any consistent points are going to come from at present, not to mention the opposition will be able to smell blood when they play us.

Maybe I'm way off the mark and suddenly we'll just click and string a few results together but I'm seriously worried tonight.

Was asking that because of the content of the post match interviews in last night and after the Gillingham game. If we were as bad last night as during our trip to Kent then last nights interview really is bizarre, could it be he just didn't want to kick the team further when they are clearly down.
(before it is said yes I'm overthinking)

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 07:06 - Aug 17 with 2591 viewswheniwasyourage

I appreciate your optimism and calmness... but I just think we are doing down with RS in charge... just an instinct, wrong person, team and style for us.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 07:32 - Aug 17 with 2525 viewselectricblue

Watched most of the game online and thats £10 wasted.
There is no shape to the team and no leadership at all, Diagouraga isnt good enough at and to slow he is more akin to non league..
Henderson is either short of confidence or as somebody said its a season to much for him, maybe use him as an impact player.
Ball isnt the same player as last season at all looks like he is carrying the weight of stress from the team on his shoulders...

I'm not one for sacking a manager but there are times when something as to give.
As i said before where is Sammy Lee ? Isnt he RS mentor!

Also im thinking that James Shan is a major factor in all of this and not RS.

See what saturday brings and then it could be the boards biggest challenge yet..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 08:03 - Aug 17 with 2424 viewsNorthernDale

You could be right, does RS needed an experience no 2, what ever happens RS has two games to determine his future.

Swindon (away) have only scored 2 goals in four games, and have conceded 5, and Crawley (home) is actually the same, scored 2, conceded 5. Swindon are on 3 points having drawn 3 games and Crawley are on 1 point. So if RS and the Dale struggle against these teams and fail to pick up points, then he must go.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 08:20 - Aug 17 with 2360 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Don't forget, Gillingham's winner was offside, something Stockdale doesn't want to use as an excuse, but keeps using as an excuse. Passing was at 58% completion last night, which means we lost possession getting on for half the time we had the ball. Aimless long balls towards a 38y/o, well past his best and Rodney who had no room for error with two defenders on him a lot of the time. There was no leadership on the field and the manager stalking the touchline can't help. If players need coaching during games what the hell has gone on the training pitch?? Stevenage, I'm sorry to say, were harder working all over the pitch and created more when they had the ball, which wasn't difficult. For a former defender our manager has a funny way of defending set pieces. For their goal our players ran away from Piergianni and only Nelson tried to prevent him scoring. In fact but for Nelson it could have been a lot worse. Shambles! 😭
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 08:21 - Aug 17 with 2356 viewsfourfourtwo

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 07:32 - Aug 17 by electricblue

Watched most of the game online and thats £10 wasted.
There is no shape to the team and no leadership at all, Diagouraga isnt good enough at and to slow he is more akin to non league..
Henderson is either short of confidence or as somebody said its a season to much for him, maybe use him as an impact player.
Ball isnt the same player as last season at all looks like he is carrying the weight of stress from the team on his shoulders...

I'm not one for sacking a manager but there are times when something as to give.
As i said before where is Sammy Lee ? Isnt he RS mentor!

Also im thinking that James Shan is a major factor in all of this and not RS.

See what saturday brings and then it could be the boards biggest challenge yet..

To be fair to Diagouraga, if he played in a midfield 3 (with 2 others actually capable of passing the football) I do believe we would see more of what he is capable of.

James Ball was absolutely woeful last night. His inability to complete basic five yard passes is frightening. He runs about like a headless chicken, loses his man for fun and struggles to put a foot in.

If Stockdale is still here by Saturday it would be refreshing to see us play 4-3-3, leaving Siriki & John at full back (NOT wingback). A midfield 3 of Diagouraga, Kelly & Brierley. Henderson down the middle with Odoh & Rodney either side.

We all know there’s more chance of Bottomley being in the dugout on Saturday than any of the above happening though.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 08:30 - Aug 17 with 2312 viewsTVOS1907

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 21:39 - Aug 16 by Yorkshire_Dale

Just remember, he is being paid handsomely for turning out this shite show.

...and there it is a fourth defeat in a row.

How do you know how much he's being paid?

Whatever happens, he has given his best to the job, has always treated everyone with respect and dignity and has generally been honest in his appraisal of matches.

At least try to show him the same.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 08:53 - Aug 17 with 2205 viewsfrenzied

Thats the first time ive seen Dale play this season so no idea how that compares to other performances.

First half we struggled to put 3 passes together...no one was showing for any throw ins the ball simply being thrown up font to one of their players...nothing in midfield at all.

Hendersons a passenger..Devante has ability bit nothing in terms of service to him..playing out from the back is not something the players are comfortable with..the punt upfront produced nothing.

Keeper did well..Nelson clearly has talent..others tried hard but too often had no outlet and gave the ball away.

Dont know why the second goal was dissalowed,,

Im amongst the give Robbie 10 games mindset,,hes never been able to select with all options..where are we up to with Campbell and Charman?

We are all desperate for Robbie to succeed
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 08:59 - Aug 17 with 2182 viewsJames1980

We don't know what discussions have already taken place between Stockdale and the board. Could they request he try a different approach or is the policy to always leave the footballing decisions to the football folk and not interfere with stuff beyond 'the white line'

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 09:14 - Aug 17 with 2091 viewsDaleiLama

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 08:20 - Aug 17 by RooleyMoorBlue

Don't forget, Gillingham's winner was offside, something Stockdale doesn't want to use as an excuse, but keeps using as an excuse. Passing was at 58% completion last night, which means we lost possession getting on for half the time we had the ball. Aimless long balls towards a 38y/o, well past his best and Rodney who had no room for error with two defenders on him a lot of the time. There was no leadership on the field and the manager stalking the touchline can't help. If players need coaching during games what the hell has gone on the training pitch?? Stevenage, I'm sorry to say, were harder working all over the pitch and created more when they had the ball, which wasn't difficult. For a former defender our manager has a funny way of defending set pieces. For their goal our players ran away from Piergianni and only Nelson tried to prevent him scoring. In fact but for Nelson it could have been a lot worse. Shambles! 😭

Their comms said on the broadcast - "Rochdale try to be a passing side, but can't pass", "RS is bringing one sub on - who brings one sub on with new transfer rules and a goal deficit?" There were many other instances of overtly snide, derisive comments and plenty of barely disguised laughter. Is this how we want to be perceived by opponents? As others have said, at 1-0 you're home and hosed against us. It must make us a pretty easy team to gameplay and prep for.

Edit - beating Dale 101.
Carpet bomb the box
Score a winner
Park the bus
Celebrate
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 9:16]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 09:20 - Aug 17 with 2060 viewssurb_dale

Since Beesley and to a lesser extent Morley left our ability to create chances has massively diminished. How many times have we now failed to score away from home this calendar year since those two departed? I saw Sutton, Stevenage, Crawley and this season at Gillingham where we barely had a shot in those games. Beesley was able to occupy both centre halves with his work rate and none of the forwards weve signed since can match what he did for the team. He possibly made us look better than what we were.

The midfield was weak last year but players like Dooley did at least show for the ball and keep it moving. At Gillingham the midfield was non-existent and in the end the centre halves pumped it up to Rodney who couldnt win one header to hold it up. Maybe the addition of Malley for Ball will improve things but i'm just not convinced Stockdale has the tactical ability to get us playing as a proper cohesive unit. All the signs so far is a gradual deterioration in performance and hard to see any likelihood of that changing without a change in manager.

It sounded like Femi went off injured at the end of last nights game so if he's out be interesting to see who fills that right wing-back position at Swindon or of it will force a change to a back 4 with Graham filling in at right back. Doesnt bode well if thats the case!
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 09:41 - Aug 17 with 1985 viewselectricblue

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 08:21 - Aug 17 by fourfourtwo

To be fair to Diagouraga, if he played in a midfield 3 (with 2 others actually capable of passing the football) I do believe we would see more of what he is capable of.

James Ball was absolutely woeful last night. His inability to complete basic five yard passes is frightening. He runs about like a headless chicken, loses his man for fun and struggles to put a foot in.

If Stockdale is still here by Saturday it would be refreshing to see us play 4-3-3, leaving Siriki & John at full back (NOT wingback). A midfield 3 of Diagouraga, Kelly & Brierley. Henderson down the middle with Odoh & Rodney either side.

We all know there’s more chance of Bottomley being in the dugout on Saturday than any of the above happening though.

Playing Kelly and Brierley together with Diagouraga in the middle of the pair is not an option for me as Kelly is to light weight and goes missing.
The option would be to partner Ball with Brierley and Diagouraga in the middle is thd option with Malley coming on for the last 30mins to replace one of those three.
Ball should be coached and instructed to play the middle and not run about all over like a 6yr old at school..
If Malley comes through unscathed then the next match should consist of Ball, Brierley, Malley in the middle and Diagouraga coming on later to shore up the middle if need be..

The shape of the team is a major worry at present and its like they loose concentration at it goes to pot.

Henderson is another concern was it a panic signing due to campbell and Charman fitness concerns!.
I would like to see Tulloch partner Rodney as pairing and drop Henderson to the bench and give him the last 20mins.

The team need leadership on the pitch and ive not seen that this season so far, maybe giving it to Llandel is a mistake...

O'Donnel proved what a decent GK he is for the club last night..

How far away ard Campbell a d harman away from getting into the match day squad and the last 30mins..

Stockdale needs a radical rethink and organise the team as a unit and hard to beat and improve on that.....
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 11:24]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 09:50 - Aug 17 with 1944 viewsBucketBstard

Oh dear, I get slated for saying the new signings are poor.
They are, I didnt watch the game last night, but it sounds painful from the comments of our own fans , Stevenage fans and commentary team.
I am amazed that Nelson apparently played well, he played like a 10 year on Saturday. I take praise of Dale players from many fans with a pinch of salt . Since its usually out of deperation to find a positive.
Out of that team I would only keep Odoh and Hendo and they would both be on the bench for impact subs. I hear a lot about Rodney looks good etc, but please look at his goal scoring record. It isnt good.
The rest can cock off.
I am concerned that if/when RS goes , whoever comes in has the same crap players to deal with and Stockdale has Pissed our money away so leeway for improvements in recruitment will be very limited. Diagouraga is hopeless and way past his best , whatever that was, since never heard of him before and Morecambe aint exactly Man City are tehy.
The longer Stockdale stays the greater the risk of relegation will be, he may slutch a winner of a point in next few matches . But as seen already this team is not up for a fight.
Nice Guy Robbie has to go .
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 10:13 - Aug 17 with 1844 viewsCedar_Room

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 09:20 - Aug 17 by surb_dale

Since Beesley and to a lesser extent Morley left our ability to create chances has massively diminished. How many times have we now failed to score away from home this calendar year since those two departed? I saw Sutton, Stevenage, Crawley and this season at Gillingham where we barely had a shot in those games. Beesley was able to occupy both centre halves with his work rate and none of the forwards weve signed since can match what he did for the team. He possibly made us look better than what we were.

The midfield was weak last year but players like Dooley did at least show for the ball and keep it moving. At Gillingham the midfield was non-existent and in the end the centre halves pumped it up to Rodney who couldnt win one header to hold it up. Maybe the addition of Malley for Ball will improve things but i'm just not convinced Stockdale has the tactical ability to get us playing as a proper cohesive unit. All the signs so far is a gradual deterioration in performance and hard to see any likelihood of that changing without a change in manager.

It sounded like Femi went off injured at the end of last nights game so if he's out be interesting to see who fills that right wing-back position at Swindon or of it will force a change to a back 4 with Graham filling in at right back. Doesnt bode well if thats the case!

I'm not sure precisely when they left but from what I can tell since 1st Feb we have scored 7 goals across 13 away games. That includes no goals at all in 7 games. So yeah our away record is pretty dismal.

I was one of the people saying I couldn't make much of a case for RS to stay but was prepared to give him 10 games and wanted to see us on 11 points. That means with 6 games to go we'd need 3 wins and 2 draws which, to put it mildly, would require a significant turnaround. I would agree with other comments that if we can't win either of the next 2 games then there might be no point even waiting for the 10. This is it now Robbie, make or break - prove you are up to this or you can have no complaints if the club decide you need to go.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 10:23 - Aug 17 with 1799 viewsHullDale

I felt slightly uncomfortable watching this, as I don't believe deep down Hendo believes what he is saying about our performance. There was a comment about the players needing to take responsibility too, which was interesting.

Both interviews talked about getting back in on Thursday to review the game and train. I would've expected them to be pulled in this afternoon to regroup, review the match and action plan. The fact they are not suggests to me that RS has either lost his authority / doesn't want to risk upsetting the group, he believes that we are playing well and results will come, or he knows its the tactics / ability of the team that are at fault and it would be wrong to pull them in for a roasting.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 10:36 - Aug 17 with 1737 viewsrichfoad32

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 09:41 - Aug 17 by electricblue

Playing Kelly and Brierley together with Diagouraga in the middle of the pair is not an option for me as Kelly is to light weight and goes missing.
The option would be to partner Ball with Brierley and Diagouraga in the middle is thd option with Malley coming on for the last 30mins to replace one of those three.
Ball should be coached and instructed to play the middle and not run about all over like a 6yr old at school..
If Malley comes through unscathed then the next match should consist of Ball, Brierley, Malley in the middle and Diagouraga coming on later to shore up the middle if need be..

The shape of the team is a major worry at present and its like they loose concentration at it goes to pot.

Henderson is another concern was it a panic signing due to campbell and Charman fitness concerns!.
I would like to see Tulloch partner Rodney as pairing and drop Henderson to the bench and give him the last 20mins.

The team need leadership on the pitch and ive not seen that this season so far, maybe giving it to Llandel is a mistake...

O'Donnel proved what a decent GK he is for the club last night..

How far away ard Campbell a d harman away from getting into the match day squad and the last 30mins..

Stockdale needs a radical rethink and organise the team as a unit and hard to beat and improve on that.....
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 11:24]

How do you expect Ball to run around like a madman making tackles when it normally looks like he's running on fumes after about an hour?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024