Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stevenage (a) Match Thread 07:59 - Aug 16 with 32404 viewsHullDale

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 10:43 - Aug 17 with 3725 viewsTVOS1907

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 10:23 - Aug 17 by HullDale

I felt slightly uncomfortable watching this, as I don't believe deep down Hendo believes what he is saying about our performance. There was a comment about the players needing to take responsibility too, which was interesting.

Both interviews talked about getting back in on Thursday to review the game and train. I would've expected them to be pulled in this afternoon to regroup, review the match and action plan. The fact they are not suggests to me that RS has either lost his authority / doesn't want to risk upsetting the group, he believes that we are playing well and results will come, or he knows its the tactics / ability of the team that are at fault and it would be wrong to pull them in for a roasting.

Bear in mind, though, that those interviews were immediately post-match, so there might have been a re-think on the Thursday thing by now.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 11:02 - Aug 17 with 3633 viewsDalenet

I felt slightly uncomfortable watching this, as I don't believe deep down Hendo believes what he is saying about our performance. There was a comment about the players needing to take responsibility too, which was interesting.

Both interviews talked about getting back in on Thursday to review the game and train. I would've expected them to be pulled in this afternoon to regroup, review the match and action plan. The fact they are not suggests to me that RS has either lost his authority / doesn't want to risk upsetting the group, he believes that we are playing well and results will come, or he knows its the tactics / ability of the team that are at fault and it would be wrong to pull them in for a roasting.

Hendo needs to use his experience both in the dressing room and on the field. He can make a difference.

I would expect the players to be given the day off today. They won't have got home until 4 am. They are not robots. The coaching staff however should be analysing the game forensically.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread (n/t) on 11:13 - Aug 17 with 3560 viewsDalenet

[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 11:14]
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 11:18 - Aug 17 with 3531 viewsHullDale

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 11:02 - Aug 17 by Dalenet

Hendo needs to use his experience both in the dressing room and on the field. He can make a difference.

I would expect the players to be given the day off today. They won't have got home until 4 am. They are not robots. The coaching staff however should be analysing the game forensically.

Its an interesting one.

There was a point last night where Hendo felt like he'd been hit in the face on the edge of our area... he was clearly angry and having a bit of a rant. The ref called him oved, he carried on having a go.

The ref called Ebanks-Landell over and told him to have a word with Hendo... he didn't. He made a comment to the Stevenage player, but nothing to Hendo.

I don't think we'd have spotted it if it wasn't for being up close on iFollow, but I'd be wanting EEL to be stamping his authority on the role a bit more there.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 11:27 - Aug 17 with 3501 viewselectricblue

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 10:36 - Aug 17 by richfoad32

How do you expect Ball to run around like a madman making tackles when it normally looks like he's running on fumes after about an hour?

Type error.
Ive changed.

I dont expect Ball to run around,what i expect is Ball and whoever in middle is to play as an organised unit and not scattered here there and everywhere.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 11:40 - Aug 17 with 3461 viewsTVOS1907

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 09:20 - Aug 17 by surb_dale

Since Beesley and to a lesser extent Morley left our ability to create chances has massively diminished. How many times have we now failed to score away from home this calendar year since those two departed? I saw Sutton, Stevenage, Crawley and this season at Gillingham where we barely had a shot in those games. Beesley was able to occupy both centre halves with his work rate and none of the forwards weve signed since can match what he did for the team. He possibly made us look better than what we were.

The midfield was weak last year but players like Dooley did at least show for the ball and keep it moving. At Gillingham the midfield was non-existent and in the end the centre halves pumped it up to Rodney who couldnt win one header to hold it up. Maybe the addition of Malley for Ball will improve things but i'm just not convinced Stockdale has the tactical ability to get us playing as a proper cohesive unit. All the signs so far is a gradual deterioration in performance and hard to see any likelihood of that changing without a change in manager.

It sounded like Femi went off injured at the end of last nights game so if he's out be interesting to see who fills that right wing-back position at Swindon or of it will force a change to a back 4 with Graham filling in at right back. Doesnt bode well if thats the case!

Morley and Beesley both left in the week after the Colchester postponement and before we played our first game of 2022 at Tranmere.

Since then, in league football, we have failed to score in NINE away games, equalling the total for 2021, but it's only August.

Our worst calendar year for away blanks is 1977, with 15 scoreless away matches.

Our lowest number of away goals in a full calendar year is 12 (from 21 games) in 1978.

We are currently on 7 goals from 14 away games in 2022.

(We also scored 7 away goals in 10 away games in our first league season, 1921/22, but that was only across a four-month period)
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 21:38]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 11:40 - Aug 17 with 3463 viewsJames1980

Would 4 4 2 with a midfield diamond suit our squad

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 12:28 - Aug 17 with 3267 viewsZac_B

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 11:40 - Aug 17 by James1980

I think a career outside of football would suit some of the squad, based on what I have seen so far...
Login to get fewer ads

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 12:40 - Aug 17 with 3211 viewsBrierls

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 11:40 - Aug 17 by James1980

A change in management team would suit our squad, James.

Pondering over formations is no use when we have such a disconnect between the manager's ideas and what we actually see on the pitch.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 12:50 - Aug 17 with 3145 viewsjonahwhereru

The last two away games have yielded two efforts on target. When the forwards are getting so few opportunities it puts real pressure on any chance. Not to mention massive pressure on the defence. You just can’t pick up regular points away when the side are dealing with such fine margins for error and opportunity.
The propensity to over value the potential impact of absent players masks the issues here. On paper our best two forwards are already on the pitch. So forget about Charman and Campbell making a positive impact. Last season in a better side they contributed 4 goals. The only player who’s return could make a difference is Jimmy, and tbh that would only be if he he moved into midfield.
I have only seen Dale about six times under RS and on no occasion have they shown up for 60 minutes let alone a full game. Why?
No more false dawn’s please. It is so dispiriting. Sadly to many things are broken now and it is time to move on, regardless of the immediate financial impact.
God knows who next. There is not a single name that springs to mind.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 12:54 - Aug 17 with 3120 viewssamueloneils

I missed out on last night but had a full report from my son who lives near Stevenage, Accepted they were dreadful, his comments concerned

Lack of organisation
Lack of leadership
Played like strangers
Stevenage not very good

This plays out like every other game so far, leaving out the few good patches.

IMO this is not a bad set of players, with maybe 2 exceptions. There is plenty of ability out there, but the plan seems to be always to defend- which is not the strong point of this squad.5 goals concede in 4 games is not relegation form- but 1 goal scored in 4 games IS relegation form. Playing without a central defence to move the ball forward plays right into the hands of every opposing manager- and you can be sure word gets round.
Some people criticise Kelly and Brierley for various reasons, but they must be brought back in as athe best outlets we have.At least they will take pressure off the defence whose only outlet at the moment is to sling the ball upfield. Don`t opposing defences just love that?

Scrap the zonal marking. Anyone can see it doesn`t work. With 10 men back the opposing defenders attack the line at pace- and usually score.

Rodney needs the help also. Hendo is my hero- but this is not the Hendo we knew. With Campbell and Charman missing I would move Ball right away from midfield where he is dreadful, but play him alongside Rodney, as his sole concern seems to be wanting to score a goal- give him the chance and good luck to him.

Henderson to drop back to wide midfield to replace the injured Seriki.

Not ideal but desperate times.

If I thought RS would be this adventurous I would believe he has the nous to change tactics, but I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that he has no attacking instinct whatsoever- hence consistently playing 2 defensive midfielders.

As mentioned before, the Dale`s home win record is the worst in the Football League over the past 3 seasons. The fans deserve better. Let us see some attacking football. Time will run out very quickly.

Up the Dale.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 13:09 - Aug 17 with 3053 viewsDaleiLama

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 12:40 - Aug 17 by Brierls

Pondering over formations is no use when we have such a disconnect between the manager's ideas and what we actually see on the pitch.

We need a change in attitude. If we can't get over the line on insufficient skill, so be it. We can look to try to do something in the Jan window possibly/

At present, we are not doing it on attitude, effort and management. That isn't acceptable and something has to be done about it.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 13:32 - Aug 17 with 2969 viewsJames1980

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 12:40 - Aug 17 by Brierls

If the board are going to give RS a chance to put things right then he needs to be more flexible and try something different (yes I know he hasn't really up till now) just pondering what options are there should he be given a last roll of the dice.

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 13:34 - Aug 17 with 2959 viewsgolfaduffy

There as to be real pressure on the new Board right now. Do they stick (having backed the Manager with plenty of new players) or do they pull the trigger on him.

Last chance saloon on Saturday. Swindon as had an equally poor start to us given their expectations and budget.

We MUST stop the zonal marking experiment. It might work with good players, but not with the ones we currently have. It failed again last night with their ch getting a free header, and again with the disallowed second goal.

We MUST stop bringing everyone back to defend corners or set pieces. It isn't working, and invites a second phase attack if we clear the ball. Leave one up, and they have to keep two back.

We MUST be flexible with our formation during games... if plan a isn't working, there as to be a plan b etc. Try 3 in midfield , and don't leave such a big gap between our forwards.

We MUST make better use of subs. There is no excuse for not subbing tired players (Ball looks knackered after an hour this season) when we are allowed up to 5 subs.

I doubt whether RS will take much of this on board but it's what I would be doing as a bare minimum. If he don't do it; he will be out of a job very soon, which is a shame because I like him as a bloke and want him to do well.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 14:29 - Aug 17 with 2762 viewssurb_dale

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 13:34 - Aug 17 by golfaduffy

There as to be real pressure on the new Board right now. Do they stick (having backed the Manager with plenty of new players) or do they pull the trigger on him.

Last chance saloon on Saturday. Swindon as had an equally poor start to us given their expectations and budget.

We MUST stop the zonal marking experiment. It might work with good players, but not with the ones we currently have. It failed again last night with their ch getting a free header, and again with the disallowed second goal.

We MUST stop bringing everyone back to defend corners or set pieces. It isn't working, and invites a second phase attack if we clear the ball. Leave one up, and they have to keep two back.

We MUST be flexible with our formation during games... if plan a isn't working, there as to be a plan b etc. Try 3 in midfield , and don't leave such a big gap between our forwards.

We MUST make better use of subs. There is no excuse for not subbing tired players (Ball looks knackered after an hour this season) when we are allowed up to 5 subs.

I doubt whether RS will take much of this on board but it's what I would be doing as a bare minimum. If he don't do it; he will be out of a job very soon, which is a shame because I like him as a bloke and want him to do well.

We all want Stockdale to succeed especially as he does seem a nice bloke and has generally spoke well in interviews up to maybe last night. Unfortunately nice blokes dont tend to make good managers as we had with BBM. In fact cant think of many examples of someone you would say is a nice bloke making a success of management.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 14:31 - Aug 17 with 2738 viewsJames1980

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 14:29 - Aug 17 by surb_dale

We all want Stockdale to succeed especially as he does seem a nice bloke and has generally spoke well in interviews up to maybe last night. Unfortunately nice blokes dont tend to make good managers as we had with BBM. In fact cant think of many examples of someone you would say is a nice bloke making a success of management.

Pep and Klopp seem like good sorts

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 14:45 - Aug 17 with 2682 viewsIOMDale

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 14:31 - Aug 17 by James1980

Pep and Klopp seem like good sorts

Have you seen Klopp (especially him) in interviews when things aren’t going Liverpool’s way? There’s definitely an edge to him and it’s one all good managers have and, indeed, need.

UTDNFS

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 15:02 - Aug 17 with 2603 viewsHopwoodblue

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 14:45 - Aug 17 by IOMDale

Have you seen Klopp (especially him) in interviews when things aren’t going Liverpool’s way? There’s definitely an edge to him and it’s one all good managers have and, indeed, need.

I’m sure the board will sit down discuss the situation way up their options and make the correct decision for the football club.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 15:59 - Aug 17 with 2430 viewsNorthernDale

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 14:29 - Aug 17 by surb_dale

Totally agree, Steve Evans for example is generally disliked by most football fans, but he is a good manager and gets a degree of success.

I want Robbie to succeed, but he needs to wise up to his mistakes, one thing in his favour, is that the Dale have never been known as a sacking club, we tend to persevere with a manager. However I feel that next two games, are games we could get points from, whereas I did not anything from Stevenage, so the board may wait to see how we perform over the next two games, before deciding his fate.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 19:34 - Aug 17 with 2107 viewsJames1980

Based on the turn arounds after some half time team talks I don't think RS is the wet lettuce some portray him as being. He has made comments about being displeased with performances after a number of games. Last night I don't believe that interview was addressed at fans but more an appeal to the board to give the team (which he includes himself in ) more time.

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 20:06 - Aug 17 with 1985 viewspioneer

I was expecting Klop to put the blame for Mondays draw with palace on xmas fixture congestion. He usually does.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 09:46 - Aug 18 with 1582 viewsAtThePeake

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 19:34 - Aug 17 by James1980

Based on the turn arounds after some half time team talks I don't think RS is the wet lettuce some portray him as being. He has made comments about being displeased with performances after a number of games. Last night I don't believe that interview was addressed at fans but more an appeal to the board to give the team (which he includes himself in ) more time.

How many times as he told us he's been displeased with the performances after a game only for the next game to be exactly the same? Whether he's telling the players or not, the message simply isn't getting across.

In 2022 we've played 14 away games. We drew 0-0 with a woeful performance against an eventually relegated Oldham, beat a Scunthorpe side that finished 18 points adrift of safety and won a dead rubber against a Newport side that were already on the beach.

Every one of the remaining 11 away games has followed the same pattern of failing to create chances, failing to defend properly, failing to show any fight or belief and ultimately being rolled over by a team that's barely had to get out of first gear.

The only thing that's changed away from home since January is now, instead of being honest and saying he was displeased with performances, he's decided he's better off spouting nonsense about 'competing' and 'deserving a draw' when we've had one shot on target.

If he couldn't change it in January, why does anyone think he can after 8 months of the same thing happening time and time and time again? We all wanted it to work out, it hasn't worked out, it's time for him to go.

Our only hope now is that this squad he has built does actually have some potential that another manager can get the best out of. I remain unconvinced - but whoever replaces him would struggle to do worse, frankly.

Tangled up in blue.

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 10:07 - Aug 18 with 1541 viewsDaleiLama

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 09:46 - Aug 18 by AtThePeake

How many times as he told us he's been displeased with the performances after a game only for the next game to be exactly the same? Whether he's telling the players or not, the message simply isn't getting across.

In 2022 we've played 14 away games. We drew 0-0 with a woeful performance against an eventually relegated Oldham, beat a Scunthorpe side that finished 18 points adrift of safety and won a dead rubber against a Newport side that were already on the beach.

Every one of the remaining 11 away games has followed the same pattern of failing to create chances, failing to defend properly, failing to show any fight or belief and ultimately being rolled over by a team that's barely had to get out of first gear.

The only thing that's changed away from home since January is now, instead of being honest and saying he was displeased with performances, he's decided he's better off spouting nonsense about 'competing' and 'deserving a draw' when we've had one shot on target.

If he couldn't change it in January, why does anyone think he can after 8 months of the same thing happening time and time and time again? We all wanted it to work out, it hasn't worked out, it's time for him to go.

Our only hope now is that this squad he has built does actually have some potential that another manager can get the best out of. I remain unconvinced - but whoever replaces him would struggle to do worse, frankly.

Sadly, this is the conclusion I have come to. I don't know why, but I wouldn't do it until after the Crawley game. Maybe it's cos I'm still wondering if he has it in him somewhere, even though I've pretty much come to terms with the idea that he doesn't.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 12:24 - Aug 18 with 1368 viewsKnavesmireBob

I was convinced after Tuesday night it would reach a sad but inevitable conclusion yesterday of letting him go. Best thing for everyone - fans, players, board, even RS himself. Really surprised it hasn't yet, albeit every chance there's stuff going on behind the scenes we don't know about. The board have been flawless up to now in an almost impossible situation, this is a big one though and there's a need to be ruthless at times if it's in the best long term interests of the club.

If it does come to pass I'd love us to be speaking to the likes of Emma Hayes at Chelsea or Rehanne Skinner at Spurs. Maybe out of our budget and wrong geography but they're both brilliant and would be great to see us be the first to break down that barrier, the timing is right for someone in the EFL to make that step so why not us whilst the club has so much positive and progressive momentum off the pitch.

Over riding feeling I have right now is of sadness at consistent missed opportunity. Conscious many think different but I'm convinced there's a lot of ability within this squad of players, just like there was in the one that got relegated under BBM and all those in the last 5 years that have produced a lot of losing football. We just need the right leader to bring it all out and put smiles back on our faces.
Stevenage (a) Match Thread on 12:30 - Aug 18 with 1333 viewslurker

Think I recall Emma Hayes rather rudely turning down Wimbledon when they last were searching for a manager. Her aims are higher, whether that works out for her or not.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024