Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL postpone football over the weekend 11:39 - Sep 9 with 8037 viewsdalenumber2

N/t
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 12:02 - Sep 9 with 5824 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Looks like Scottish matches are still on......so far?
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 12:09 - Sep 9 with 5785 viewsD_Alien

I'll be blunt

I'm a monarchist, in the sense of accepting it's a great solution to having a politically neutral Head of State with a 1000+ years of tradition which we'd be absolute fools to discard*

And i'm as saddened as anyone. For me, it's a longish (already) lifetime of having the Queen as a backdrop to the life of the country, truly the end of an era

BUT... the cancellation of this weekend's sporting programmes is absolutely unnecessary. As was pointed out yesterday - the same didn't happen when her father died in 1952. The Queen was a stickler for tradition, and imho she'd have deplored this break with tradition, wanting people to get on with their lives, with due respect as and when appropriate

*I'm not posting this to start a debate about the monarchy as such, simply pointing out where i'm coming from
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 12:14]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 12:25 - Sep 9 with 5686 viewsBrierls

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 12:02 - Sep 9 by Yorkshire_Dale

Looks like Scottish matches are still on......so far?

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 12:48 - Sep 9 with 5588 viewsrich_dale

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 12:09 - Sep 9 by D_Alien

I'll be blunt

I'm a monarchist, in the sense of accepting it's a great solution to having a politically neutral Head of State with a 1000+ years of tradition which we'd be absolute fools to discard*

And i'm as saddened as anyone. For me, it's a longish (already) lifetime of having the Queen as a backdrop to the life of the country, truly the end of an era

BUT... the cancellation of this weekend's sporting programmes is absolutely unnecessary. As was pointed out yesterday - the same didn't happen when her father died in 1952. The Queen was a stickler for tradition, and imho she'd have deplored this break with tradition, wanting people to get on with their lives, with due respect as and when appropriate

*I'm not posting this to start a debate about the monarchy as such, simply pointing out where i'm coming from

Agree with this, as well as causing a lot of upheaval for lots of people, it's a missed opportunity for the football community to come together and show some unity by paying tribute across the country. We should surely celebrate her life rather than mourn her passing, especially given she died at an old age of natural causes. Feels like it should be time to fondly look back rather than sit at home being miserable. Expect many fans will just go to the pub anyway. Interested to see what they do about the test match now.
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 13:02 - Sep 9 with 5519 viewselectricblue

I'll be blunt

I agree with you on what you say.
Listening to the media coverage and they state that a state funeral is 10days after passing which makes it a week on sunday, so would it not be more prudent to cancel all sport et that weekend but let this coming weekend sport go ahead!

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 13:28 - Sep 9 with 5439 viewsZac_B

There will be thousands of people with advance train tickets who, I imagine, won't be reimbursed by anybody. Not a criticism of the postponing of everything, but a problem for many who are already facing some financial hardship.
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 13:29 - Sep 9 with 5430 viewsforeverhopefulDale

I'll be blunt

I support your view on the postponement of sport, though there may well be a case for postponement in certain cases, like large events that require a lot of public resources like policing, or putting undue strain on public transport. I don't know for instance whether or not the Test match at the Oval causes a lot of strains on public services.

The debate about the rights or wrongs of the monarchy is for another time.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 13:40 - Sep 9 with 5408 viewsMAK

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 12:48 - Sep 9 by rich_dale

Agree with this, as well as causing a lot of upheaval for lots of people, it's a missed opportunity for the football community to come together and show some unity by paying tribute across the country. We should surely celebrate her life rather than mourn her passing, especially given she died at an old age of natural causes. Feels like it should be time to fondly look back rather than sit at home being miserable. Expect many fans will just go to the pub anyway. Interested to see what they do about the test match now.

Absolutely. It was an opportunity, and possibly the only opportunity some will get, to pay respect and celebrate her life with hundreds or thousands of like minded folk. We tend to have relatively short memories and the chance to have an impact like tomorrow's will be gone beyond this weekend. Next weekend and the day of the funeral will be altogether different. There will be thousands of fans of all sports across the country who do very little the rest of the week desperate to get out to a match or race this weekend just to meet others and chat about what has gone one. Instead of bringing people together this will mean there's plenty of people home alone.
Login to get fewer ads

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 14:26 - Sep 9 with 5292 viewsBrierls

Rugby to go ahead.
Rugby League to go ahead (including Hornets at our gaff tomorrow!).
Cricket to go ahead.
Horse Racing postponed Saturday meetings, main event to go ahead on Sunday.

Many other sports and events to go ahead.

Football? Nah, the PL and EFL (and further down the chain as a consequence) see it fit to pay their respects by postponing fixtures and shafting football fans and families. It's shambolic leadership.

No doubt we'll have the obligatory 'minutes silence'/'minutes applause' on the first game when fixtures do resume. Unfortunately, that will go down like a lead balloon with some who will vent their frustration. Tomorrow's fixtures would have been the perfect opportunity for fans to naturally pay their respects.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 14:50]
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 14:28 - Sep 9 with 5282 viewsEllDale

I have total respect for the late queen.
Seems daft though that I can go to work today, go shopping or to the pub tomorrow, go to watch professional rugby league over the weekend and yet can't watch Dale against Salford.
Thank you EFL.
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 14:55 - Sep 9 with 5157 viewsWalboro

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 13:28 - Sep 9 by Zac_B

There will be thousands of people with advance train tickets who, I imagine, won't be reimbursed by anybody. Not a criticism of the postponing of everything, but a problem for many who are already facing some financial hardship.

North Bury Junior Football League first matches of the season now called off.
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 15:29 - Sep 9 with 5054 views49thseason

I believe there was a very eerie atmosphere at Old Trafford last night, not much if any chanting and all very subdued. People are clearly in shock and uncertain about what to do at the moment, a constant in all our lives has gone at a time when there is so much turmoil and unrest. Its difficult to know what is the right thing to do, cancelling football right now seems like a wrong step when many feel the need to be with friends and pals and in need of an hour or two at a game to relieve us of our darker thoughts and worries. We are living in and through unprecedented times and denying millions an opportunity to lift the gloom seems like a mistake.
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 15:34 - Sep 9 with 5033 viewsHarry_Dale

One man who will be (very privately, very secretly) happy with this decision will surely be Jim Bentley? A great opportunity now to have a slightly more extended period of time with the players without a game/ rest period in the middle of it.
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 15:55 - Sep 9 with 4944 viewsMAK

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 15:29 - Sep 9 by 49thseason

I believe there was a very eerie atmosphere at Old Trafford last night, not much if any chanting and all very subdued. People are clearly in shock and uncertain about what to do at the moment, a constant in all our lives has gone at a time when there is so much turmoil and unrest. Its difficult to know what is the right thing to do, cancelling football right now seems like a wrong step when many feel the need to be with friends and pals and in need of an hour or two at a game to relieve us of our darker thoughts and worries. We are living in and through unprecedented times and denying millions an opportunity to lift the gloom seems like a mistake.

There is no correct answer. The general feeling seems to be that, as evidenced by workplaces, schools, shops, pubs etc remaining open plus a whole load of sports still taking place this weekend, the EPL and EFL should have carried on as planned but with an ability to pay fitting tributes before, during or after matches. A wasted opportunity to bring people together when its needed most and something surely the Queen wouldn't have wanted.
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 16:15 - Sep 9 with 4872 viewsDaleiLama

I share the opinion of the consensus on here - this postponement was not really necessary. Every individual mourns in their own way. Some prefer to lock themselves away in a darkened room and lick their wounds, others prefer to go out and let off a bit of steam. On the basis that fixtures aren't affecting other aspects of society, I don't think we need any "authorities" telling us what we "should" do. Who knows, William might have been really looking forward to seeing Villa for 90 minutes of escapism by way of diverting his troubled mind (though probably wouldn't have gone anyway due to public perception). There's no one size fits all solution to grief and nor should anyone try to prescribe one.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 17:28 - Sep 9 with 4685 viewsmikehunt

Ee, well I can’t make up my mind. I am annoyed that the match is off but I think, surely, whatever side of the monarchy fence you sit, Her Maj deserves something special. Sacrificing one’s Saturday for her is a big deal - and, perhaps, that’s the point.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 17:51 - Sep 9 with 4623 viewsdavidab2202

Again in line with many can see pros and cons both ways
Just wonder as to whether the decision has been influenced by Prince William's position at the F.A
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 18:26 - Sep 9 with 4530 viewsArthurDaley

Had a e mail from England Hockey this morning , it said. any game scheduled for this Saturday can go ahead , they would like everyone to wear a black armband and have a two minutes silence

A large VAT Dave

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 18:31 - Sep 9 with 4503 views442Dale

Would think that both the FA and EFL are now thinking they’ve made the wrong decision based on the reaction and valid questions raised.

What makes little sense is that there wasn’t a set protocol that was followed across the country by various sports/industries etc. It’s strange that decisions were made today.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 18:33 - Sep 9 with 4495 viewswozzrafc

I think it was a rushed decision and an opportunity lost. If everything was shut down as a sign of respect and national mourning then it would make sense .

How ever while other sporting events, concerts, festivals, theatres, country shows (the list goes on) whilst also showing respect in their own way, to shut down the national sport instead of bringing its community together to pay respect is quite baffling in my opinion. Imagine match of the day starting by going around each of the grounds showing fans respecting a minutes silence or belting out the national anthem wouldn’t that be a more fitting tribute.

Instead Thousands of disgruntled fans are now out of pocket for train tickets , hotels and game tickets etc. While all other walks of life continue.

And then for the FA to shut down grassroots seems crazy. How can I tell my 9 year old son he can’t play football as he has to show respect but it’s ok he plays rugby?

Again the EFL and FA have shown a disregard for fans.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 18:37]
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 22:38 - Sep 9 with 4118 viewsNewbury_Dale

Perspective.

Tidy the house. Do some gardening. Go shopping. Take the kids to the park or the cinema.

Nobody in financial hardship would have booked train tickets at those prices anyway. 90% of fares are walk-up now anyway.

Football returns next week.
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 23:19 - Sep 9 with 4054 viewsbluevein64

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 18:33 - Sep 9 by wozzrafc

I think it was a rushed decision and an opportunity lost. If everything was shut down as a sign of respect and national mourning then it would make sense .

How ever while other sporting events, concerts, festivals, theatres, country shows (the list goes on) whilst also showing respect in their own way, to shut down the national sport instead of bringing its community together to pay respect is quite baffling in my opinion. Imagine match of the day starting by going around each of the grounds showing fans respecting a minutes silence or belting out the national anthem wouldn’t that be a more fitting tribute.

Instead Thousands of disgruntled fans are now out of pocket for train tickets , hotels and game tickets etc. While all other walks of life continue.

And then for the FA to shut down grassroots seems crazy. How can I tell my 9 year old son he can’t play football as he has to show respect but it’s ok he plays rugby?

Again the EFL and FA have shown a disregard for fans.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 18:37]

Exactly my thoughts Wozz!
EFL postpone football over the weekend on 23:28 - Sep 9 with 4021 viewsD_Alien

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 22:38 - Sep 9 by Newbury_Dale

Perspective.

Tidy the house. Do some gardening. Go shopping. Take the kids to the park or the cinema.

Nobody in financial hardship would have booked train tickets at those prices anyway. 90% of fares are walk-up now anyway.

Football returns next week.

We're all quite capable of otherwise occupying ourselves of a Saturday, thanks, just as we did during those weeks and months of lockdown

Nor do we need lessons in perspective, which spectacularly misses the point. I'll follow the test match at the Oval instead, for a perspective on how Stokes goes about winning or losing the decider in three days

[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 23:30]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 00:30 - Sep 10 with 3947 viewsdingdangblue

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 18:31 - Sep 9 by 442Dale

Would think that both the FA and EFL are now thinking they’ve made the wrong decision based on the reaction and valid questions raised.

What makes little sense is that there wasn’t a set protocol that was followed across the country by various sports/industries etc. It’s strange that decisions were made today.

They were very quick to postpone the Friday night fixtures. I think once that had happened then obviously playing Saturday and Sunday seems a bit stupid. The only logical thing then was to postpone the whole weekend fixtures. Then you get the issue of other sports not doing the same, schools stayed open today and everyone went to work - it all seems a bit senseless in the end.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

EFL postpone football over the weekend on 06:42 - Sep 10 with 3818 viewsseasidedale

Think football can’t win, if they didn’t postpone the games then they would have been slated as being selfish and only concerned with money grabbing ect, postponing the fixtures ..well you can see the reaction of some on here as a small example of how the nation is reacting to this
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 6:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024