Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Commonwealth 11:44 - Sep 10 with 2094 viewsCatullus

Well Charles the Third is here, the official proclamation is made but what does this mean for the Commonwealth.

The Queen was genuinely loved by most of the Commowealth, she was the glue that held it together, mostly. Will the King have the same hold?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The Commonwealth on 11:53 - Sep 10 with 2080 viewsDr_Winston

I suspect that eventually most countries will drop Charles/William as head of state but remain within the Commonwealth.

It is fairly silly in this day and age for an elderly British bloke to be the official ruler of somewhere like Canada, as preferable as that might be to Trudeau.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Commonwealth on 11:56 - Sep 10 with 2069 viewsSirjohnalot

The Commonwealth on 11:53 - Sep 10 by Dr_Winston

I suspect that eventually most countries will drop Charles/William as head of state but remain within the Commonwealth.

It is fairly silly in this day and age for an elderly British bloke to be the official ruler of somewhere like Canada, as preferable as that might be to Trudeau.

Think you’re probably right.

Personally I love all the history, dating back centuries, I can’t imagine the Monarchy ever being abolished in this country, and hearing GSTK played solemnly, is actually quite stirring
The Commonwealth on 12:01 - Sep 10 with 2061 viewsDr_Winston

The Commonwealth on 11:56 - Sep 10 by Sirjohnalot

Personally I love all the history, dating back centuries, I can’t imagine the Monarchy ever being abolished in this country, and hearing GSTK played solemnly, is actually quite stirring

I think we're well on the way to a slimmed down, Scandinavian style version.

I'm not really hugely bothered either way. My natural instincts tend Republican, but some of the frothing vitriol coming from the extremist end of that leaves me cold. The cost of the civil list isn't all that much and is mostly (or maybe even totally) recouped from Crown Estate income anyway.

They do need to change the anthem though.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Commonwealth on 12:04 - Sep 10 with 2053 viewsCatullus

I don't find GSTK stirring in the slightest sorry, it seems a bit of a dirge to me. Mae hen Wlad, La Marseillaise, they are uplifting and stirring but GSTK is slow and a bit tedious.

I think they'll drop the King as head of state but stay in the Commonwelath too. Only because there seem to be benefits from membership though.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The Commonwealth on 12:12 - Sep 10 with 2042 viewsSirjohnalot

The Commonwealth on 12:04 - Sep 10 by Catullus

I don't find GSTK stirring in the slightest sorry, it seems a bit of a dirge to me. Mae hen Wlad, La Marseillaise, they are uplifting and stirring but GSTK is slow and a bit tedious.

I think they'll drop the King as head of state but stay in the Commonwelath too. Only because there seem to be benefits from membership though.

No comparison, SA, Russian, Scots, Italian. Normally I’d agree, but hearing it today was beautiful
The Commonwealth on 12:48 - Sep 10 with 2017 viewsKilkennyjack

GSTQ is a dirge.

Dreadful in every respect.

Beware of the Risen People

The Commonwealth on 13:02 - Sep 10 with 2014 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Commonwealth on 12:48 - Sep 10 by Kilkennyjack

GSTQ is a dirge.

Dreadful in every respect.

Did you mean GSTK.

ONLY DREADFUL IN YOUR BIGOTED VIEW. IT IS STILL THE ANTHEM OF YOUR NATION THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Commonwealth on 13:04 - Sep 10 with 2008 viewsDr_Winston

The Commonwealth on 13:02 - Sep 10 by felixstowe_jack

Did you mean GSTK.

ONLY DREADFUL IN YOUR BIGOTED VIEW. IT IS STILL THE ANTHEM OF YOUR NATION THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND.

I don't believe you have to be a Welsh Nationalist to think that GSTK is a tune so stupefyingly boring that even Leonard Cohen would have thought twice about releasing it.

Login to get fewer ads

The Commonwealth on 13:16 - Sep 10 with 1987 viewstrampie

GSTK/GSTQ is a terrible national anthem, nothing to do with whether it represents something good or bad it's just a terrible anthem, the lyrics for one are an embarrassment in this modern day and age.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The Commonwealth on 14:22 - Sep 10 with 1952 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Commonwealth on 13:16 - Sep 10 by trampie

GSTK/GSTQ is a terrible national anthem, nothing to do with whether it represents something good or bad it's just a terrible anthem, the lyrics for one are an embarrassment in this modern day and age.

Have you read the English words to the Welsh National anthem they are pretty embarrassing in a modern era as well.
It is pretty much the same with most National anthems.
90% of the Welsh, me including have no idea what they are singing or even how to pronunce them either.

We just have to accept we will be hearing the UK national anthem a lot over the next couple of weeks.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Commonwealth on 14:41 - Sep 10 with 1943 viewsSirjohnalot

The Commonwealth on 14:22 - Sep 10 by felixstowe_jack

Have you read the English words to the Welsh National anthem they are pretty embarrassing in a modern era as well.
90% of the Welsh, me including have no idea what they are singing or even how to pronunce them either.

We just have to accept we will be hearing the UK national anthem a lot over the next couple of weeks.

They’re pretty much all various versions of ‘come and have a go if you think you’re hard enough..you’re going home in (our National ) ambulance
The Commonwealth on 15:02 - Sep 10 with 1915 viewsFlashberryjack

The Commonwealth on 14:41 - Sep 10 by Sirjohnalot

They’re pretty much all various versions of ‘come and have a go if you think you’re hard enough..you’re going home in (our National ) ambulance

"you’re going home in (our National ) ambulance"

I think that's a bit outdated, it should be :

"you might be going home in an ambulance, if we can get one"

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The Commonwealth on 15:12 - Sep 10 with 1911 viewsSirjohnalot

The Commonwealth on 15:02 - Sep 10 by Flashberryjack

"you’re going home in (our National ) ambulance"

I think that's a bit outdated, it should be :

"you might be going home in an ambulance, if we can get one"

Always thought it should be ‘going to hospital’ not home
The Commonwealth on 16:46 - Sep 10 with 1870 viewsbritferry

2 new countries, Gabon & Togo, both old French colonies, recently joined the commonwealth, so that is going from strength to strength.

I do think some of the 15 countries who have our monarch as their head, will now think about becoming a republic, as Barbados did recently.

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

The Commonwealth on 18:33 - Sep 10 with 1837 viewsCatullus

It's definitely much better in Welsh because nobody understands anything but it sounds good,

1. This land of my fathers is dear to me
Land of poets and singers, and people of stature
Her brave warriors, fine patriots
Shed their blood for freedom

Chorus:
Land! Land! I am true to my land!
As long as the sea serves as a wall
For this pure, dear land
May the language endure for ever.

2. Old land of the mountains, paradise of the poets,
Every valley, every cliff a beauty guards;
Through love of my country, enchanting voices will be
Her streams and rivers to me.

3. Though the enemy have trampled my country underfoot,
The old language of the Welsh knows no retreat,
The spirit is not hindered by the treacherous hand
Nor silenced the sweet harp of my land.

Written in 1856.

The Commonwealth on 09:19 - Sep 11 with 1748 viewsKilkennyjack

This is not true.
Go attend any Cymru game.

Its not even logical as about 20% of children in wales go to welsh medium education.
Plus all the other welsh speakers who go to english language first schools.

Unless its 1973 again, you are wrong.

Take the Cymru team then Ben, Joey, Rambo, Rubin, and Wayne Hennessey all speak Welsh, so hardly likely that 90% of the crowd are the opposite. Its just total nonsence.

Beware of the Risen People

The Commonwealth on 09:33 - Sep 11 with 1737 viewsonehunglow

The Commonwealth on 09:19 - Sep 11 by Kilkennyjack

This is not true.
Go attend any Cymru game.

Its not even logical as about 20% of children in wales go to welsh medium education.
Plus all the other welsh speakers who go to english language first schools.

Unless its 1973 again, you are wrong.

Take the Cymru team then Ben, Joey, Rambo, Rubin, and Wayne Hennessey all speak Welsh, so hardly likely that 90% of the crowd are the opposite. Its just total nonsence.

Our players.ALL of them play in the English pyramid .
I reckon few would want the Swans to leave the pyramid just so 20% of fans could speak to fans of Bala Town in Welsh.
Without doubt the language THE most divisive issue in Wales.It underpins everything ;it is omnipotent but to many irrelevant. It is defended with fanaticism on here and that is a fact.

Anthems... worst dirges....as follows

Scotland
Ireland (the Rebel one)
Netherlands
Austria

Dogs Breakfast...

Italy.A musical mess

Most tuneful

La Marseillaise ,stands alone

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The Commonwealth on 09:57 - Sep 11 with 1724 viewslifelong

The Commonwealth on 09:33 - Sep 11 by onehunglow

Our players.ALL of them play in the English pyramid .
I reckon few would want the Swans to leave the pyramid just so 20% of fans could speak to fans of Bala Town in Welsh.
Without doubt the language THE most divisive issue in Wales.It underpins everything ;it is omnipotent but to many irrelevant. It is defended with fanaticism on here and that is a fact.

Anthems... worst dirges....as follows

Scotland
Ireland (the Rebel one)
Netherlands
Austria

Dogs Breakfast...

Italy.A musical mess

Most tuneful

La Marseillaise ,stands alone

Another insult from you towards Wales and the Welsh language, sad.
Should the English pyramid only be available to English players and managers?
The Commonwealth on 10:04 - Sep 11 with 1714 viewsonehunglow

I forget to add the South Africa one.
It might have the main languages but it's a mess musically.

Have to say the USA is a behemoth and very hard ,almost impossible for an untrained voice to sing.

The Commonwealth on 14:34 - Sep 11 with 1665 viewsCatullus

The Commonwealth on 09:57 - Sep 11 by lifelong

Another insult from you towards Wales and the Welsh language, sad.
Should the English pyramid only be available to English players and managers?

I don't see much of an insult to be honest. For balance, how many of our fans want us to play in the LoW?

For more balance, look at the arguments on here about the Welsh language, divisive...definitely.

The Commonwealth on 16:14 - Sep 11 with 1643 viewslifelong

The Commonwealth on 14:34 - Sep 11 by Catullus

I don't see much of an insult to be honest. For balance, how many of our fans want us to play in the LoW?

For more balance, look at the arguments on here about the Welsh language, divisive...definitely.

Everything he says about Wales and the Welsh language is insulting to those of us who love our country. He was booted out of Swansea and has held a grudge ever since.
The Commonwealth on 16:21 - Sep 11 with 1631 viewsonehunglow

The Commonwealth on 14:34 - Sep 11 by Catullus

It’s really simple

I will repeat

We have welsh language zealots who prefer to talk welsh. Fine.

Don’t expect the majority to discourse in English when they won’t speak Welsh nor want to.

Fact.

Welsh doesn’t need lifelong nor anyone else bleeding for it .

As I say, don’t be a hypocrite and slag. Off English and England when we play ,at their discretion,in the Zenglish leagues

We do that as LOW is not really of any discernible standard .

It’s the case going to Bala,Portmadoc,Carmarthen would see Welsh being used to describe the game ,however in flint,Connah s Quay and Flint,that wouldn’t be welcomed.

Proof of welsh insecurity is the posts we get regarding the language . It seems the devil himself would be seen as a good guy if he spoke Welsh

The most divisive aspect of Wales. It’s not a matter to discuss ,clearly

The Commonwealth on 16:24 - Sep 11 with 1627 viewslifelong

The Commonwealth on 16:21 - Sep 11 by onehunglow

It’s really simple

I will repeat

We have welsh language zealots who prefer to talk welsh. Fine.

Don’t expect the majority to discourse in English when they won’t speak Welsh nor want to.

Fact.

Welsh doesn’t need lifelong nor anyone else bleeding for it .

As I say, don’t be a hypocrite and slag. Off English and England when we play ,at their discretion,in the Zenglish leagues

We do that as LOW is not really of any discernible standard .

It’s the case going to Bala,Portmadoc,Carmarthen would see Welsh being used to describe the game ,however in flint,Connah s Quay and Flint,that wouldn’t be welcomed.

Proof of welsh insecurity is the posts we get regarding the language . It seems the devil himself would be seen as a good guy if he spoke Welsh

The most divisive aspect of Wales. It’s not a matter to discuss ,clearly

The Welsh language is still alive and well despite English teachers years ago beating children to stop them speaking it.
The Commonwealth on 16:25 - Sep 11 with 1619 viewsCatullus

The Commonwealth on 16:14 - Sep 11 by lifelong

Everything he says about Wales and the Welsh language is insulting to those of us who love our country. He was booted out of Swansea and has held a grudge ever since.

None of us can help nor change where we are born but ALL of us are born on planet Earth.

Love of country, patriotism if you will, is a massive cause of arguments. We'd all be better of just being earthlings and countries not existing.

The Commonwealth on 16:38 - Sep 11 with 1605 viewsonehunglow

The Commonwealth on 16:25 - Sep 11 by Catullus

None of us can help nor change where we are born but ALL of us are born on planet Earth.

Love of country, patriotism if you will, is a massive cause of arguments. We'd all be better of just being earthlings and countries not existing.

Most are proud of their place of birth.Not all but most.

It is what we do in life that we should be proud about not what bluddy language we speak.
I see Afrikaners on a rugby site posting unremittingly sickeningly lachrymose drivel regarding their “ culture” when it’s a language not a culture .
They want an Afrikaner speaking only university in one city there

They are the proudest people I see out there and it makes them often look dirty.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024