Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players You Thought Were Overrated 12:17 - Oct 26 with 17128 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Shilton.

A couple of really great saves here, to be fair, but many of them camera saves.

A lot also look like good saves but would be simple saves for a taller keeper.
Always thought he was overrated and overhyped, especially compared to Parkes and Clemence (both of whom were better in the air, for instance)

Either way, he was The No. 1 Goalie In The World for twenty years, apparently.
Hard to believe that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:26 - Oct 30 with 1513 viewsMiss_Terraces

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 20:35 - Oct 30 by Stanisgod

Sorry, thought it was a thread on players I thought were overrated footballers.

Fair Enough, Football is a game of opinions. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. We disagree but taking into account this is a forum rather than television, radio or newspaper I trust you're telling the truth.
Just out of interest please may you tell me why he was over rated? Taking into account your user name, I'm pretty sure you are older than I am. I was still at school when John Barnes was in his prime but he looked World Class to me. I was still at school so I accept I'm not the absolute authority on this subject.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:51 - Oct 30 with 1466 viewsSydneyRs

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:26 - Oct 30 by Miss_Terraces

Fair Enough, Football is a game of opinions. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. We disagree but taking into account this is a forum rather than television, radio or newspaper I trust you're telling the truth.
Just out of interest please may you tell me why he was over rated? Taking into account your user name, I'm pretty sure you are older than I am. I was still at school when John Barnes was in his prime but he looked World Class to me. I was still at school so I accept I'm not the absolute authority on this subject.

Anyone who was at Anfield with me when they tonked us 4-0 while we were top of the league in the late 80s wouldn't call Barnes overrated. He tore us a new one that day and we didn't even play that badly.

He did disappoint for England but he's far from alone there.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:57 - Oct 30 with 1460 viewsSydneyRs

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 18:24 - Oct 30 by TGRRRSSS

Great thread this.

Beckham case is interesting I actually think all things considered he maximised his ability but because he married who he did the explosion between them generating the Brand Beckham that was to become is probably what overrated him further than otherwise I think he would, all this before Social Media branding.

Ferguson in his book felt he slightly underachieved because of the outside noise albeit he became far more wealthy as a result of his marriage and marketing abilities (via looks partly).

The Wimbledon goal (beaten by Sinclair for goal of the season btw) didn't help. A decent goal but a bit of a speccy to be fair. There was already hype around him and it went nuts after this. Then of course picking a spouse who was equally famous... And Simeone conning the ref into sending him off in 98 ramped things up also.

He was an excellent player in terms of free kicks and crossing especially and got better with age. Probably was a bit overrated though as he was lauded beyond his ability by the media.

Despite the bling and attention I never felt like he didn't give his all for club and country.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2022 22:58]
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 23:16 - Oct 30 with 1425 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:51 - Oct 30 by SydneyRs

Anyone who was at Anfield with me when they tonked us 4-0 while we were top of the league in the late 80s wouldn't call Barnes overrated. He tore us a new one that day and we didn't even play that badly.

He did disappoint for England but he's far from alone there.

I can't comment on England. Though I do support England as well as both Irish teams, I would only have seen a portion of Barnes's England games.

But that 4-0 tonking....Jesus, he was good. I was also there and it was one of the best live performances I've ever seen from a player. He also was class against us in this one. (Commentary from the brief recap, oft quoted by mate Brad: "Barnes was magnificent. How he finished on the losing side I'll never know!")

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 09:06 - Oct 31 with 1301 viewsDorse

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 22:57 - Oct 30 by SydneyRs

The Wimbledon goal (beaten by Sinclair for goal of the season btw) didn't help. A decent goal but a bit of a speccy to be fair. There was already hype around him and it went nuts after this. Then of course picking a spouse who was equally famous... And Simeone conning the ref into sending him off in 98 ramped things up also.

He was an excellent player in terms of free kicks and crossing especially and got better with age. Probably was a bit overrated though as he was lauded beyond his ability by the media.

Despite the bling and attention I never felt like he didn't give his all for club and country.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2022 22:58]

'He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right.'
George Best on David Beckham

Great quote and, in the main, true but it doesn't take into account his influence on a game. Tough one to call re Beckham. I'd say 'overrated' but his trophy cabinet and bank balance would disagree.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 09:24 - Oct 31 with 1266 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 09:06 - Oct 31 by Dorse

'He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right.'
George Best on David Beckham

Great quote and, in the main, true but it doesn't take into account his influence on a game. Tough one to call re Beckham. I'd say 'overrated' but his trophy cabinet and bank balance would disagree.

On the last sentence, only in football can a bloke like me who gets out of breath changing the channel tell a four times Champions League winner that he’s overrated 😆
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 10:15 - Oct 31 with 1205 viewsdaveB

John Barnes was one of the best opposition players I've ever seen. That 4-0 at Anfield also thought Ronnie Whelan and Craig Johnstone were sensational as well.

Barnes suffered with England simialr to Chris Waddle due to the way we played, he'd flourish in this current England team or in the modern game in general. Even when he lost his pace and dropped back to a central midfielder he was different class.
Players You Thought Were Overrated on 15:01 - Oct 31 with 1028 viewskensalriser

Darren Peacock. I thought we absolutely mugged Newcastle when he went.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Players You Thought Were Overrated on 15:04 - Oct 31 with 1019 viewsTheChef

Sergio Ramos.

The Spanish John Terry.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024