Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welcome win but not convincing 13:33 - Jan 1 with 2581 viewsBarrySwan

I realise that this opinion is going to make me rather unpopular and I'm sure that we all appreciated a 4-nil win to give the club a first win in nine games current record.

But having watched the game up to the 70th minute until I had to leave for other matters I thought that the Swans performance was pretty poor, mundane at best, the usual dross at worst.

I thought that a dreadful Watford side exposed every limitation that the Swans team is capable of during the first 15 minutes or so with several of our players reduced to basically wrestling Watford players from behind as they waltzed pass our own with embarrassing ease.

Any half competent side against us would have almost put the game to bed in their favour before Piroe's first goal.

I do realise that a 4-0 win against a highly placed team after weeks of complete and utter dross mingled with horrendous defensive mistakes is to be welcomed but feel that the wave of euphoria generated may well be short lived unless of course the 20 minutes of the game that I missed revealed new previously hidden talents and style that I hadn't spotted in the first 70 minutes.

A quick glance at the Watford message board shows that 63% of contributors had the Swans down for a win beforehand with the vast majority of comments even more scathing about their team and manager that even those displayed on here about Martin and our team.

Am I alone in being a touch cautious although naturally hopeful about our sudden anticipated revival?

To be fair my view of the game may have been coloured by the laughing fit that I was still undergoing after hearing Mr Martin's interview on the radio transmitted shortly before kickoff that surely contained the comedy quote of the decade Which went something like this :-

I'm fed up of us losing and the other side saying that we were the best side that they'd played all season

Possibly the tears of laughter were still affecting my subjective view of what was after all a very welcome 4-0 win

[Post edited 1 Jan 2023 13:43]
Welcome win but not convincing on 13:47 - Jan 1 with 2049 viewsSTID2017

Not saying you are wrong.
We have probably played better and lost.
How many times ( and not just with Martin but others ) have we complained about losing or drawing against poor sides ?
I guess the point is as Greavsie is reputed to have said " Football is a funny old game Saint"
We just have to take the points and wins where we can.
More of the same tomorrow please
[Post edited 1 Jan 2023 13:48]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Welcome win but not convincing on 13:55 - Jan 1 with 2007 viewsonehunglow

Not alone and if you were you d be right
Watford we’re an affront , not worthy to step foot on our pitch
Burnley will show us where we are and either bring us back to earth or give us hope for the future

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:00 - Jan 1 with 1997 viewsSTID2017

Welcome win but not convincing on 13:55 - Jan 1 by onehunglow

Not alone and if you were you d be right
Watford we’re an affront , not worthy to step foot on our pitch
Burnley will show us where we are and either bring us back to earth or give us hope for the future

Don't kid yourself.
We have all seen us lose to much worse sides than Watford.
Friday was a well deserved win.
Nothing is ever given on a plate in football

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:23 - Jan 1 with 1961 viewsunion_jack

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:00 - Jan 1 by STID2017

Don't kid yourself.

Watford weren’t that good but there again our change of system and driving forward was a great improvement. Watford aren’t there for no reason so to beat them convincingly is a great confidence boost. And football is a confidence game.

Hope we stick to the same ethos tomorrow with the same formation. At them straight from ko.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:25 - Jan 1 with 1959 viewsSTID2017

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:23 - Jan 1 by union_jack

Watford weren’t that good but there again our change of system and driving forward was a great improvement. Watford aren’t there for no reason so to beat them convincingly is a great confidence boost. And football is a confidence game.

Hope we stick to the same ethos tomorrow with the same formation. At them straight from ko.

Exactly.
Yes at them from the off.
Rather lose trying than meekly surrender

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:27 - Jan 1 with 1948 viewslifelong

If you wanted to see real dross you should have watched Blackburn V Cardiff earlier.
Welcome win but not convincing on 14:32 - Jan 1 with 1922 viewsunion_jack

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:27 - Jan 1 by lifelong

If you wanted to see real dross you should have watched Blackburn V Cardiff earlier.

I did. Worst thing about the game was the pitch. Neither side were particularly great I thought and Blackburn made hard work of it.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:33 - Jan 1 with 1915 viewsWhiterockin

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:27 - Jan 1 by lifelong

Spot on. That was the worst Championship football I have seen for many a year.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Login to get fewer ads

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:35 - Jan 1 with 1901 viewsFireboy2

There is a famous saying 'you can only play as well as the other team let's you'

Yes you do have a point BS but as my statement above says we only beat what was in front of us, we could have gone 1 nil down early on but we also could have won by more.

Whilst watford weren't great, even without several players they still had a little bit about them, we never let the get into their stride, on Saturday we would have given anyone a game, tomorrow will be the litmus test, if we go with the same players and system we will give burnley a game, I just hope we do go with 4 at the back as if we go with 3 we will get a hiding.
Welcome win but not convincing on 14:48 - Jan 1 with 1858 viewsKeithHaynes

I completely agree with the OP.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:53 - Jan 1 with 1844 viewsmagicdaps10

I enjoyed reading that pist, it was a refreshing delivery and you kept it very open that your assessment may be a little to judgemental but you make some very valid points
The first 25bminures were a little edgy and Keinam Davis really troubled us physically.....our boys went into it low in confident but grew into it superbly, the confidence you could see growing as the 2nd half went on.
I enjoyed the passing, plenty of quick close passing but the major improvement was the movement...thus got better as the confidence grew also.
I think a direct player in top 3 of that system would add another dimension.
I wouldn't totally agree with everything you typed but I applaud your delivery of the post.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:59 - Jan 1 with 1816 viewsFireboy2

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:53 - Jan 1 by magicdaps10

I enjoyed reading that pist, it was a refreshing delivery and you kept it very open that your assessment may be a little to judgemental but you make some very valid points
The first 25bminures were a little edgy and Keinam Davis really troubled us physically.....our boys went into it low in confident but grew into it superbly, the confidence you could see growing as the 2nd half went on.
I enjoyed the passing, plenty of quick close passing but the major improvement was the movement...thus got better as the confidence grew also.
I think a direct player in top 3 of that system would add another dimension.
I wouldn't totally agree with everything you typed but I applaud your delivery of the post.

That direct player you speak of could be ogbene, he has been left out of rotherhams squad for todays match at millwall.
Welcome win but not convincing on 15:03 - Jan 1 with 1801 viewsSTID2017

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:59 - Jan 1 by Fireboy2

That direct player you speak of could be ogbene, he has been left out of rotherhams squad for todays match at millwall.

Too slow mate.
I started a post about same already.
Got to be sharp to beat me

Welcome win but not convincing on 15:20 - Jan 1 with 1770 viewsangryjack

Totally agree with you I was bored stupid for long periods
Welcome win but not convincing on 15:22 - Jan 1 with 1759 viewsonehunglow

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:32 - Jan 1 by union_jack

I did. Worst thing about the game was the pitch. Neither side were particularly great I thought and Blackburn made hard work of it.

CRdiff were dogbreath
They are going to kick lumps out of us .
Blackburn have great heritage as a club.
Fans deserve better.

Welcome win but not convincing on 15:31 - Jan 1 with 1743 viewsBadlands

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:59 - Jan 1 by Fireboy2

Been looking at Ogbene stats … not exciting me tbh
What is his position? Whoscored have him as centre forward and wide right.
Sporting life as … (from Jan 21) Ogbene is one of the best attacking wing-backs in the Football League. He plays as a right wing-back for Rotherham, who mainly deploy a 3-5-2 system.
When you look at his actual goal involvements, he does only have one goal and one assist this season in the league, but while this might not look particularly impressive, he has accumulated 1.4 expected goals (xG) and 4.9 expected assists (xA).

Much higher goal scoring record this season but it is league 1.
Looks like he dribbles and heads better than Piroe but otherwise … not sure.
Rated at £2 million.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Welcome win but not convincing on 15:33 - Jan 1 with 1741 viewsDr_Winston

Welcome win but not convincing on 15:31 - Jan 1 by Badlands

Sporting life as … (from Jan 21) Ogbene is one of the best attacking wing-backs in the Football League. He plays as a right wing-back for Rotherham, who mainly deploy a 3-5-2 system.
When you look at his actual goal involvements, he does only have one goal and one assist this season in the league, but while this might not look particularly impressive, he has accumulated 1.4 expected goals (xG) and 4.9 expected assists (xA).

Rated at £2 million.

Fortunately football isn't played on a spreadsheet.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welcome win but not convincing on 15:35 - Jan 1 with 1726 viewsonehunglow

Rated at £2 million.

You d think ,considering others rivalling him for a game, he d be given at least ten mins at the end of a game .

Welcome win but not convincing on 15:36 - Jan 1 with 1728 viewsWhiterockin

Rated at £2 million.

He looked excellent against us up there on and off the ball.

He will not cost £2M.

Welcome win but not convincing on 15:42 - Jan 1 with 1699 viewsFireboy2

Welcome win but not convincing on 15:03 - Jan 1 by STID2017

Too slow mate.
I started a post about same already.
Got to be sharp to beat me

I just referenced him into this topic ya nugget 🤪
Welcome win but not convincing on 16:29 - Jan 1 with 1639 viewsTreforys_Jack

You're just annoyed you left early lol.
Welcome win but not convincing on 16:32 - Jan 1 with 1632 viewsWhiterockin

Welcome win but not convincing on 16:29 - Jan 1 by Treforys_Jack

You're just annoyed you left early lol.

And missed 3 goals, the last being a masterclass.

Welcome win but not convincing on 18:26 - Jan 1 with 1546 viewsCatullus

Welcome win but not convincing on 14:00 - Jan 1 by STID2017

Don't kid yourself.

Ummm, the "disgrace of Gijon" in 82?

Anyway, I don't think anyone believes that performance was utterly brilliant, no one thinks it shows we are going to storm up the league and finish top.

What it did show was a massive improvement, still plenty of room for more improvement but we had to start somewhere and maybe a home game against an under strength Watford was the best place.
Now we have a real test, tomorrow, and we will see what we will see for good or bad. We are at a tipping point, I believe. If martin keeps going with this system, brings the right players in and gets shot of the troublemakers then it may all come good in the end.

If he reverts though, there will be trouble ahead. What Friday represented to me was hope. Hope that we would actually see quicker, more positive football, that we would be entertained again.

Otherwise I'll be saying bring back Bobby!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Welcome win but not convincing on 18:37 - Jan 1 with 1536 viewsshingle

Watford were dismal which is not surprising as most of there better players were out injured, now beat Burnley and maybe then i will sit up and be more a little more optimistic.
Welcome win but not convincing on 19:38 - Jan 1 with 1482 viewsScotia

I had to leave on about 65 minutes myself and bumped in to a group of Watford fans on Neath Road.

They agreed that they were dreadful and only came down because they had a non refundable room in the Premier Inn in SA1. 4 - 0 was no surprise to them and they weren't particularly impressed by us.

I phoned them a taxi and they went to Wind Street.

Tomorrow is a real test, 4 - 0 would be nice but I'd settle for a point.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024