Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January 11:00 - Jan 24 with 1081 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/59420/referee-watch-with

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 11:20 - Jan 24 with 1052 viewsBerber

Interesting, as usual. I think most fans frustration stem from what appeared to be over lenient reffing towards AV, but Lyanco’s first foul, which was no worse than the couple on JWP drew a yellow. They even got a free kick when one of their players simply lost his footing and fell over.
Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 12:18 - Jan 24 with 1005 viewsSFC_Referee

Quiz questions for this week…

Q1= How many LOTG (laws of the game) are there, and bonuses for naming any.

Q2= A keeper goes to take a goal kick. When running up to take it, falls over and legally kicks the ball, but with very little power. An attacker just outside the box, unmarked, sees this and runs for the ball. So in response the keeper quickly gets up, picks up the ball and throws it away to a teammate. What do you award next (if anything) for a restart and disciplinary action?

Q3= How many different set pieces can you not be offside from, and can you name them
All?

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 12:22 - Jan 24 with 1003 viewsSFC_Referee

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 11:20 - Jan 24 by Berber

Interesting, as usual. I think most fans frustration stem from what appeared to be over lenient reffing towards AV, but Lyanco’s first foul, which was no worse than the couple on JWP drew a yellow. They even got a free kick when one of their players simply lost his footing and fell over.

Yeah well unfortunately due to officiating reasons, I myself wasn’t at the game but can tell from the levels of blame many are giving the ref that he probably wasn’t getting all his decisions correct on the day.
But from what I’ve seen outta the highlights, all those major decisions VAR had to deal with, he got right, which might be frustrating but at the same time isn’t something you can really complain about.

But something you can complain about is why VAR gets involved for this situation but not for the penalty shouts in the Man City and Brighton games, as all 3 are pretty clear fouls, yet VAR only intervened with 1 of the 3. So like I said in my weekly conclusion, VAR really does need to decide what is seen as clear and obvious and whether it’s just those that they’ll get involved for or everything major.

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 13:44 - Jan 24 with 942 viewsCCSFC

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 12:18 - Jan 24 by SFC_Referee

Quiz questions for this week…

Q1= How many LOTG (laws of the game) are there, and bonuses for naming any.

Q2= A keeper goes to take a goal kick. When running up to take it, falls over and legally kicks the ball, but with very little power. An attacker just outside the box, unmarked, sees this and runs for the ball. So in response the keeper quickly gets up, picks up the ball and throws it away to a teammate. What do you award next (if anything) for a restart and disciplinary action?

Q3= How many different set pieces can you not be offside from, and can you name them
All?

A1= 57
A2= Indirect free kick & Red card for goalkeeper.
A3= All of them. cant be offside from a throw in. cant be offside from a corner as the ball goes backwards. any free kick or goal kick if your starting position is in your half you will not be offside.

Poll: How many 'West Ham interested in....' News stories will we see by deadline day?

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 13:53 - Jan 24 with 930 viewsSFC_Referee

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 13:44 - Jan 24 by CCSFC

A1= 57
A2= Indirect free kick & Red card for goalkeeper.
A3= All of them. cant be offside from a throw in. cant be offside from a corner as the ball goes backwards. any free kick or goal kick if your starting position is in your half you will not be offside.

For Q3 I mean it as in you can never be offside from them (as in it’s impossible to be)

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 13:55 - Jan 24 with 927 viewssledger

most annoying things for me,players shielding the ball flopping over,thought this wasnt going to be given anymore started off good now reverted back to type in that there all given.Other thing is time added on,please why cant there be a time clock that stops when the ball is out of play,no arguments about timewasting and the fans get full value.
Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 14:02 - Jan 24 with 919 viewsCCSFC

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 13:53 - Jan 24 by SFC_Referee

For Q3 I mean it as in you can never be offside from them (as in it’s impossible to be)

Ah, i assume just a throw in then?

I guess the way current corners are taken with the curve of the ball having to be over the quadrant of the corner, then technically there is scope for the ball to go forwards and a player to be offside??

Poll: How many 'West Ham interested in....' News stories will we see by deadline day?

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 14:17 - Jan 24 with 912 viewsSFC_Referee

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 13:55 - Jan 24 by sledger

most annoying things for me,players shielding the ball flopping over,thought this wasnt going to be given anymore started off good now reverted back to type in that there all given.Other thing is time added on,please why cant there be a time clock that stops when the ball is out of play,no arguments about timewasting and the fans get full value.

Well both are things that IFAB are trying to sort.
As from next season onwards it looks like injury time for the prem and such is gonna be a lot more than it usually is (so like what happened in the World Cup) and they are looking at introducing a rule so that if play is halted for an injury or such, that the player must go off for X minutes, as if they’re actually inured then can be treated during that period, whilst if they’re not injured their teams down to 1 less person due to the attempted time wasting.

Login to get fewer ads

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 14:20 - Jan 24 with 904 viewsPaleRider

I have a couple of questions:

1) What standard of refereeing do you officiate?
2) How much of each game do you watch?
Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 14:52 - Jan 24 with 879 viewsSFC_Referee

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 14:20 - Jan 24 by PaleRider

I have a couple of questions:

1) What standard of refereeing do you officiate?
2) How much of each game do you watch?

I’m not gonna answer the first one too detailed because I prefer to keep my identity a bit more quiet as a ref who wants to get somewhere, with only people who I know I can trust knowing who I really am, so don’t wanna say too much about specific personal refereeing stuff.

But for the leagues I officiate in, I will say that I do the semi pro leagues where most of the FA cup qualifying goes on and where you’ve gotta pay to watch the games and you usually get a few coming along to them (so somewhere between levels 10/9 (Wessex league) to levels 6 (national league south) of the English footballing league pyramid). But I do also do many cups, like the FA Cup, including some fairly big youth tournaments which have included teams like Real Madrid, PSG, Juventus etc… before.

And for your second question, I’m not 100% certain of what you mean by that? As if it’s saints games, then yeah I watch most of them as I go to almost all home ones (like our game tonight against Newcastle for instance) and a fair few away ones (as I’ve been to all bar 3 of the current prem stadiums). But do have to miss one from time to time for some of the games I’m given to officiate which does take priority (hence why I missed the Villa one
[Post edited 24 Jan 2023 14:58]

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 15:02 - Jan 24 with 868 viewsPaleRider

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 14:52 - Jan 24 by SFC_Referee

I’m not gonna answer the first one too detailed because I prefer to keep my identity a bit more quiet as a ref who wants to get somewhere, with only people who I know I can trust knowing who I really am, so don’t wanna say too much about specific personal refereeing stuff.

But for the leagues I officiate in, I will say that I do the semi pro leagues where most of the FA cup qualifying goes on and where you’ve gotta pay to watch the games and you usually get a few coming along to them (so somewhere between levels 10/9 (Wessex league) to levels 6 (national league south) of the English footballing league pyramid). But I do also do many cups, like the FA Cup, including some fairly big youth tournaments which have included teams like Real Madrid, PSG, Juventus etc… before.

And for your second question, I’m not 100% certain of what you mean by that? As if it’s saints games, then yeah I watch most of them as I go to almost all home ones (like our game tonight against Newcastle for instance) and a fair few away ones (as I’ve been to all bar 3 of the current prem stadiums). But do have to miss one from time to time for some of the games I’m given to officiate which does take priority (hence why I missed the Villa one
[Post edited 24 Jan 2023 14:58]

Re question 1 - I was wondering as you are presented as an "expert", so I just wanted to know what qualifies you for that.

Re question 2 - I meant the games you comment on - in other words all of the Premier League games each week. So, do you watch the whole of each game, extended highlights or just MOTD? Clearly if you don't watch all of each game then there may be key talking points that you miss.

Overall, I'm just trying to gauge how relevant these reports are - especially as they are not entirely Saints-related.
Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 16:36 - Jan 24 with 835 viewsMessysaints

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 15:02 - Jan 24 by PaleRider

Re question 1 - I was wondering as you are presented as an "expert", so I just wanted to know what qualifies you for that.

Re question 2 - I meant the games you comment on - in other words all of the Premier League games each week. So, do you watch the whole of each game, extended highlights or just MOTD? Clearly if you don't watch all of each game then there may be key talking points that you miss.

Overall, I'm just trying to gauge how relevant these reports are - especially as they are not entirely Saints-related.

i dissagree about the prowsey goal and ches offside, Che didnt touch the ball at all, you are not offside untill you have touched the ball, that was the reason they allowed Uniteds goal to stand even though Rashford was offside, and interfering with play and ran 30 yards towards the ball.

JWP goal, VAR as stated in the rules is for clear and obvious mistakes, stepping on somes ones foot which happens alot in the 90 mins of a game but is never deemed a foul is not a clear and obvious mistake.

As some one who supported VAR the inconsistent use and application and poor qaulity officials who use it, make me hate it. funny enough, i dont feel the same when watching other leagues who use it......... strange that.
Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 16:55 - Jan 24 with 826 viewsSFC_Referee

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 16:36 - Jan 24 by Messysaints

i dissagree about the prowsey goal and ches offside, Che didnt touch the ball at all, you are not offside untill you have touched the ball, that was the reason they allowed Uniteds goal to stand even though Rashford was offside, and interfering with play and ran 30 yards towards the ball.

JWP goal, VAR as stated in the rules is for clear and obvious mistakes, stepping on somes ones foot which happens alot in the 90 mins of a game but is never deemed a foul is not a clear and obvious mistake.

As some one who supported VAR the inconsistent use and application and poor qaulity officials who use it, make me hate it. funny enough, i dont feel the same when watching other leagues who use it......... strange that.

Ok I’m not sure if your getting mixed up with another incident or not, but Che literally was the one who pretty much scored the goal, and clearly touched the ball (which under the LOTG makes him offside no matter what). So ether you’re on about some other incident and have gotten mixed up or… well I don’t know what else to say as it’s something that nobody can argue with.
(and anyway I did say that the Rashford incident from last weekend should’ve been offside anyway)

And for your point about Prowse’s goal, if you’ve read what I put on my report then you’ll see that I agree about the inconsistency with what’s deemed “clear and obvious” as there’s too much inconsistency over what VAR will and won’t get involved in for the boarder line ones.
But at the same time it is still a foul, and it usually is given as one, it’s just it’s at the halfway line on the 12th minute with nothing else around it meaning that nobody highlights it or makes a major deal out of it like we’ve had on Saturdays game.

And with regards to the quality of officiating, how you ever thought how the fans, players, coaches, pundits etc.., might be the cause of that? As if refs are consistently getting abused at grassroots to pro levels, some being assaulted, always consistently being criticised and very rarely praised, many young refs doing some U9’s game getting parents acting like it’s the World Cup final and going ballistic over some throw in at the halfway line, as well as soo much more! Who would really wanna be a ref in the first place, let alone continuing to do it all after going through all of that? As there’s a lack of refs, and with a lack of refs there’s less competition for higher leagues and with that the quality of officiating is gonna be worse. But the fact is that’s not the referees faults but simply all those causing many putt off from doing it or loads to quite officiating.
As many people complained about the officiating in the champions league, World Cup, euros etc… even though they’re literally the very best in the world right now!
So maybe more people need to realise that refs are humans and will make mistakes, as it’s no different for players, it’s just how often they make them and how major they are that varies.

P.S you ckearly don’t watch many foreign games then as I see multiple incidents every weekend where VAR clearly messed up in the Bundesliga, LaLiga, Serie A etc… but just as they’re not on MOTD soo very few see it. Whilst at the World Cup which we all do see, nether of the English refs, Taylor or Oliver had any real controversies whilst many other refs did!

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 17:02 - Jan 24 with 824 viewsSFC_Referee

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 15:02 - Jan 24 by PaleRider

Yes I am a qualified referee that actively officiates currently in many leagues, and know all the ins and outs to the LOTG. Which is why I do these articles for Nick as I know why certain refs do and don’t do stuff and have the experience of being in their shoes, but also as a saints fan that goes to the games with others know what certain fans may not necessarily understand as well as myself or other offices do.

And for the watching the games, it’s mixed, as I’m very into football and watch them whenever I can. For instance last weekend I watched the whole of the Fulham VA spurs, Man U vs Arsenal and palace vs Newcastle games on TV, as I was able to (but usually will watch also the saints one).
But for all the others I’ll watch the replays on MOTD, as well as usually seeing any of the major events on some of the referee groups I’m in where we discuss them.

So yeah these reports cover most of the incidents from the weekend and are coming from the eyes of both a major footballing fan but also an experienced qualified ref, who can understand the angles to both sides for all the incidents many discuss

Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 21:01 - Jan 24 with 770 viewsRon11

Not gonna wanna be outta the cup....
Referee Watch With SFC Ref 23rd January on 12:10 - Jan 30 with 568 viewsSFC_Referee

Answers for this weeks Ref Watch LOTG quiz questions…

A1= there are 17 LOTG (although some say there are 18 with law 18 being, common sense (hence why you won’t find it on IFAB))

A2= It is an indirect free kick for playing/touching the ball a second time (as if it was an outfield player it would’ve been a penalty but the keeper only gives away an indirect free kick for handling in) and is sent off for DOGSO (Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity).

A3= There are 3/4, goal kicks, throw ins, corners, and kinda penalties as their is no stating that you can be offside, but due to where players are allowed to stand it’s impossible to be offside for a legal penalty (as they must be outside the box, but also in line or behind the ball when it’s taken)

So fair play to saint901 for getting the two harder questions right
[Post edited 30 Jan 2023 12:13]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024