Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most Under-performing Dale teams? 18:08 - Feb 15 with 3465 viewsShun

I found Llama’s post in another thread about us being a Jekyll and Hyde team interesting as I don’t see us that way. There’s a real dearth of quality across the squad and I feel even at our absolute best we wouldn’t be much proposition. It then got me thinking about teams we’ve had in the past where the quality was there, but either through mismanagement or sheer lack of effort they didn’t achieve what they could have.

For me a glaring entry would be the side BBM relegated us with. When we look at some of the talent that side had, it’s absolutely criminal we didn’t stay up. Bazunu (only a season later he was one of the best keepers in the league), Humphrys, O’Connell, Morley, Rathbone, Lund, Grant. Most of them are now League One regulars.

We were done with a few crocks who were good players missing far too often (Ryan, McShane, McLaughlin), but I genuinely think any decent manager has that squad comfortably mid-table in League One.

Any other candidates?
Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 18:19 - Feb 15 with 3417 viewsfrenzied

I think you are absolutely correct

Personally i don't doubt the commitment or effort..the players we have just don't have the ability/talent.

As a fan you start to look for factors which are causing this dreadful situation but i think its as simple as the above.

Hilly was outstanding at getting players to fulfil their true potential..sadly with the present team this is as good as it gets..most of the present side wouldn't even get into a Hill team.

Just gotta hope theres 2 clubs worse than us come the end of match 46..
Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 18:20 - Feb 15 with 3416 viewsBeechball

The final Barrow squad where you had Stoker, Lydiate and Bailey playing ahed of Jones, Peake and Stuart springs to mind.
Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 18:22 - Feb 15 with 3408 views442Dale

The mistakes made by BBM across that season are on a par with those of other managers before and since. The nonsense talk around any other factors coming in to play hours not distract from failing to address simple defensive issues in terms of structure and tactics, the poor use of players with regards to their strengths (eg.Aaron Morley) and a compete absence of game management when we were ahead in games.

Other sides to fall into this category:
91/92 should have made the play-offs at least but Sutton’s signings late in the season totally disrupted everything.
93/94 should have been promoted but even missed out on the play-offs.
00/01 should have been promoted but even missed out on the play-offs.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 18:22 - Feb 15 with 3409 viewsmeeee

My memory of the 2003-2004 sqaud that finished 21st just above the relegation zone is a bit fuzzy but it looked to have some good players in it on paper. Gareth Griffiths, Leo Bertos, Gary Jones, Grant Holt, Paddy Mccourt, Lee McEvily, Kevin Townson. Surley that attack alone should be good enough to finish higher in the table
Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 18:32 - Feb 15 with 3372 viewsShun

Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 18:22 - Feb 15 by meeee

My memory of the 2003-2004 sqaud that finished 21st just above the relegation zone is a bit fuzzy but it looked to have some good players in it on paper. Gareth Griffiths, Leo Bertos, Gary Jones, Grant Holt, Paddy Mccourt, Lee McEvily, Kevin Townson. Surley that attack alone should be good enough to finish higher in the table

I was thinking about this one too. Also the 05/06 squad that had Holt and Dagnall for half a season each, and 22-goal Lambert for a full season and still only finished 14th.
Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 20:41 - Feb 15 with 3187 viewsdownunder

Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 18:22 - Feb 15 by meeee

2003...that FA Cup run!
Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 20:46 - Feb 15 with 3176 viewsSuddenLad

The biggest scandal in recent seasons (despite the off-field shenanigans) was the relegation from League One with the squad referred to above. Relegated by 1 goal.

That season laid the foundation for everything that has followed. I hope those who helped bring it about can sleep at night.

I wonder if league tables matter now.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 20:46 - Feb 15 with 3172 viewsD_Alien

A bit of a left-field suggestion, but how about our 2009-10 promotion team?

Weren't we something like 10pts clear at one point?

In the context of the first promotion in over four decades, it might seem a bit churlish to talk over under-performance, but on the other hand we should've walked that league. That we didn't grab hold of our chance of winning a title is still annoying

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 23:05 - Feb 15 with 3002 viewsShun

Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 20:46 - Feb 15 by D_Alien

A bit of a left-field suggestion, but how about our 2009-10 promotion team?

Weren't we something like 10pts clear at one point?

In the context of the first promotion in over four decades, it might seem a bit churlish to talk over under-performance, but on the other hand we should've walked that league. That we didn't grab hold of our chance of winning a title is still annoying

It’s a good shout! I always wonder ‘what if’ over that season. My head-canon is that when it was near enough certain we were going up Hill tinkered with the formation with a view of the following season in mind. He suspected (and I’m sure I remember him saying as much in an interview) that if we played 4-4-2 in L1 we’d get mauled, so he had us trying out different formations.

In my mind that’s what cost us the title, but it led to another brilliant season in League One whereas Notts struggled all season.
Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 13:42 - Feb 16 with 2683 viewsfinberty

Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 23:05 - Feb 15 by Shun

It’s a good shout! I always wonder ‘what if’ over that season. My head-canon is that when it was near enough certain we were going up Hill tinkered with the formation with a view of the following season in mind. He suspected (and I’m sure I remember him saying as much in an interview) that if we played 4-4-2 in L1 we’d get mauled, so he had us trying out different formations.

In my mind that’s what cost us the title, but it led to another brilliant season in League One whereas Notts struggled all season.

Yes - when 'No Fear' was replaced by 'Ooh - better not, just in case'.

A tactic replicated down the years by others who prefer the cold pages of a coaching manual to real-life excitement on the pitch.
Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 13:50 - Feb 16 with 2659 viewsfinberty

Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 20:46 - Feb 15 by SuddenLad

The biggest scandal in recent seasons (despite the off-field shenanigans) was the relegation from League One with the squad referred to above. Relegated by 1 goal.

That season laid the foundation for everything that has followed. I hope those who helped bring it about can sleep at night.

I wonder if league tables matter now.

I agree with that.

For some reason, the one that really nags me is the match the previous season at home to Sunderland - the one that some fatuous individual acquired some celebratory mugs for - and Dale were giving a good account of themselves, especially one Aaron Wilbraham, who gave an object lesson to their centre backs in strong forward play and retention of the ball under pressure..

Ever one to snatch defeat, BBM substituted him when the match was almost over, the pressure built into our own half and the inevitable winning goal duly arrived. But hey, never mind, we should have been grateful just to watch Sunderland.

That increased caution was replicated throughout the remainder of the season and all of the following one - the glorious thumping of Rotherham aside. Thereafter, all matches appeared to be played as training exercises, where results didn't seem to count. Watching this all unfold on tv, from empty stadia, added to the perceived lack of any jeopardy.

Unfortunately, results do count, and did count.
Most Under-performing Dale teams? on 22:29 - Feb 18 with 2175 viewshammerdale

1965/66 side under Tony Collins...outstanding the previous season, with Jenkins and Morton getting 42 goals between them. Re- election in 65/66.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024