Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SACK Bentley! 16:48 - Feb 18 with 29828 viewsClivert

It is literally our last roll of the dice now!
SACK Bentley! on 11:00 - Feb 22 with 2660 viewsRippDale

SACK Bentley! on 10:43 - Feb 22 by AtThePeake

I'm not in favour of promoting someone from within long-term, but I'd definitely look at letting McNulty/Henderson/Ellis take over for the rest of the season and holding off on a long-term appointment until then. Even if we know who we wish to hire in the summer, I don't think you can expect any sort of upturn with this squad in the last phase of this season, so at least by holding off on a permanent appointment for now you can allow the new manager a completely fresh start in the summer, rather than them losing the remaining games this season and having fans questioning them before they've even really had a chance to get to grips with the job.

I would do the same, promote from within just to get the season done and try to line someone up to start once the last game is finished. I think we should look into someone with non league experience. Phil Parkinson at Alty has done a great job, play good football and he has even turned Sinclair into a world beater! Sounds to be a good man manager and turned a few careers around
SACK Bentley! on 11:14 - Feb 22 with 2583 viewsKnavesmireBob

Same for me, just get someone in for the next 13 games whilst we take time to recruit the right person to start from next season. Not dissimilar to the Rangnick sticking plaster whilst MUFC went looking for Ten Hag. Doesn't really matter who that is for the next couple of months, things can't get any worse.

The most excruciating thing is Hartlepool and Crawley are teasing us on a weekly basis by being so shite. Crawley are the archetypal freefalling basket case club and Hartlepool are us but with a few more points. There's every chance 40 points might see someone safe this year.

And in Mullarkey, Brierley, Hendo, Lloyd, Bennett, ROD we do actually have some players and personalities in key positions on the pitch that we can get behind. Start them every week if they're fit. Let Lloyd take over the internal dressing room communication if needs be and send everyone out with a bit of fire in their belly. Make Hendo and Brierley the focal point of all external communication to the fans.

Bentley just simply has to be let go today. Without him we'll still almost certainly be going down, but we often finish the season with a better spring than winter and with a couple of quick fixes there remains the opportunity to generate some positivity back around the club.
SACK Bentley! on 11:15 - Feb 22 with 2579 viewsCedar_Room

SACK Bentley! on 10:31 - Feb 22 by truenorth

Slightly off topic, but my fear would be that when we drop, Mullarkey will depart. Too good for us, too good for the National League.

And we're a stepping stone for Lloyd.

TN

Oh no doubt whatsoever. Mullarkey I would even say could hack it in L1 he won’t be to back to the NL. Lloyd can do a job for any L2 side he won’t stay either.
But the point was just these are the types of players Bentley can bring in - a much better quality than Stockdales signings.
SACK Bentley! on 11:20 - Feb 22 with 2560 viewsAtThePeake

SACK Bentley! on 11:14 - Feb 22 by KnavesmireBob

Same for me, just get someone in for the next 13 games whilst we take time to recruit the right person to start from next season. Not dissimilar to the Rangnick sticking plaster whilst MUFC went looking for Ten Hag. Doesn't really matter who that is for the next couple of months, things can't get any worse.

The most excruciating thing is Hartlepool and Crawley are teasing us on a weekly basis by being so shite. Crawley are the archetypal freefalling basket case club and Hartlepool are us but with a few more points. There's every chance 40 points might see someone safe this year.

And in Mullarkey, Brierley, Hendo, Lloyd, Bennett, ROD we do actually have some players and personalities in key positions on the pitch that we can get behind. Start them every week if they're fit. Let Lloyd take over the internal dressing room communication if needs be and send everyone out with a bit of fire in their belly. Make Hendo and Brierley the focal point of all external communication to the fans.

Bentley just simply has to be let go today. Without him we'll still almost certainly be going down, but we often finish the season with a better spring than winter and with a couple of quick fixes there remains the opportunity to generate some positivity back around the club.

A few more points that they gained by beating us!

Those two games are the main reason Bentley has to go for me. It's all well and good saying it's a rubbish squad he inherited and it's out of his hands, but Hartlepool's squad is as bad as ours and they've beaten us home and away under Bentley. Ultimately, those games are the difference between us having hope and no hope right now.

Tangled up in blue.

SACK Bentley! on 12:01 - Feb 22 with 2408 viewspioneer

SACK Bentley! on 11:20 - Feb 22 by AtThePeake

A few more points that they gained by beating us!

Those two games are the main reason Bentley has to go for me. It's all well and good saying it's a rubbish squad he inherited and it's out of his hands, but Hartlepool's squad is as bad as ours and they've beaten us home and away under Bentley. Ultimately, those games are the difference between us having hope and no hope right now.

Well he has not been “sacked in the morning”….maybe it will happen this afternoon.
SACK Bentley! on 12:43 - Feb 22 with 2287 viewsThreeLions

SACK Bentley! on 10:55 - Feb 22 by Sheffield_dale

Very good points. However, Bentley/Coleman were considered experienced appointments and have ended in disaster. Eyre and Stockdale as novices didn't work. Promoting from within such as Hill/BBM have been seen to work. People will scoff at the suggestion BBM wasn't a success. He isn't exempt from criticism but ultimately he kept us in league one and then was relegated with a game to go. I'd take second bottom in league 1 right now! Man City then saw something in him.

As I mentioned above, Ellis has experience managing a club. Yes that club is our academy but we can all agree he's done a good job. I do think he is the man to lead in a similar way to how he's ran the academy. Whether that be manager or director of football type role.

I'm happy to hear about realistic names that would excite me and give me hope as much as Ellis/Hendo/McNulty combo.

But he doesn't want to do it. It's no good forcing someone into a position is it? They are hardly going to give it there best shot and then we lose our academy coach as he leaves disgruntled. All this needs is a bit of reality not clutching at straws with any name that comes into our heads.
SACK Bentley! on 13:06 - Feb 22 with 2163 viewsrich_dale

Perhaps what's needed, given we're say 90% certain to go down, is for internal caretakers to take on the job until the end of the season, whoever that may be, and to take the steam out of the situation. Feels like there's too much analysis going on and 'home truths' being delivered in the dressing room, and the weight of pressure is building and building.

Say Ellis and McNulty just simplify it all, pick our best players in a basic formation and tell them to just enjoy playing. If there's a bonus of putting a few wins together all well and good, but even if not it might be less toxic and take a lot of the stress away. We might get brand of football that is a bit more 'no fear'.
SACK Bentley! on 13:09 - Feb 22 with 2145 viewsSheffield_dale

SACK Bentley! on 12:43 - Feb 22 by ThreeLions

But he doesn't want to do it. It's no good forcing someone into a position is it? They are hardly going to give it there best shot and then we lose our academy coach as he leaves disgruntled. All this needs is a bit of reality not clutching at straws with any name that comes into our heads.

Obviously if he wants it, then offer it to him.

Ellis may not have the academy job to fall back on anymore so given the choice of manager or job centre he may have a different view. He will obviously have to be motivated to create a full structure incorporating the youth team.
Login to get fewer ads

SACK Bentley! on 13:18 - Feb 22 with 2071 viewselectricblue

SACK Bentley! on 12:01 - Feb 22 by pioneer

Well he has not been “sacked in the morning”….maybe it will happen this afternoon.

After training!
Seriously doubt it........

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

SACK Bentley! on 13:50 - Feb 22 with 1908 views49thseason

Maybe its time for the board to bring together a group of the other larger shareholders to get their opinions and suggestions. It feels like we need all hands on deck at this stage, we need a forward strategy that is clear and can be agreed on by everyone.
SACK Bentley! on 13:51 - Feb 22 with 1902 viewsD_Alien

SACK Bentley! on 13:50 - Feb 22 by 49thseason

Maybe its time for the board to bring together a group of the other larger shareholders to get their opinions and suggestions. It feels like we need all hands on deck at this stage, we need a forward strategy that is clear and can be agreed on by everyone.

Best check none of them are Scousers, eh?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

SACK Bentley! on 13:56 - Feb 22 with 1861 viewssamueloneils

Surely a big factor for any manager is the size of the squad which is ridiculously high at 29 by my reckoning..
Ignoring the 6 loanees, Eastwood,Seriki,Dodgson,Adshead,Mellor and Quigley and the 3 juniors, that still leaves 20 to be sorted out.If Iam correct, White, Graham,Bennett, Diacourraga,Lloyd, Kelly, Keohane, Henderson,Odoh and McNulty have contracts expiring in June. Even if all those were then terminated, that still leaves 10 who will still be under contract.

O`Donnell
Taylor
John
Ebanks-Landell
Mullarkey
Ball
Sinclair
Brierley
Campbell
Rodney

Anybody who thinks these contracts can be just discarded , except by mutual consent, may be in for disappointment. Personally there are 4 players in there who I would be happy to lose but equally there are 4 I would like to hang onto.

But the fact remains that there is practically a full team left on contract come June.

Quite apart from the battle for survival, which we may well lose, this is a burden any new manager must face. Since it appears JB is reluctant to play some of the 10 already. if he continues he will have the same problem in making a fresh start.
SACK Bentley! on 14:00 - Feb 22 with 1811 viewsAtThePeake

SACK Bentley! on 13:18 - Feb 22 by electricblue

After training!
Seriously doubt it........

They won't have trained the morning after a game.

Tangled up in blue.

SACK Bentley! on 14:17 - Feb 22 with 1693 viewssweetcorn

SACK Bentley! on 13:51 - Feb 22 by D_Alien

Best check none of them are Scousers, eh?

Tbf I never want another balding scouser in charge of Rochdale again. It cant be a coincidence..

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

SACK Bentley! on 14:19 - Feb 22 with 1681 viewsToffeemanc

SACK Bentley! on 14:00 - Feb 22 by AtThePeake

To be fair they don't look like they've trained all season.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

SACK Bentley! on 14:23 - Feb 22 with 1654 viewsYorkshire_Dale

SACK Bentley! on 09:57 - Feb 22 by snuffler

For me there were only 3 or 4 players who should be paid this week namely Danny Lloyd, Toby Mullarkey, Owen Dodgson and Ian Henderson, the rest can get in touch with their agents and find somewhere else to steal money from and unfortunately I am including Jim Bentley in that lot.

well said.....whenever the saying "robbing a wage" was applied to a player on here in the past the usual cornflakes turned up crying foul.....now it's rife, we have a full cohort of robbers in the club. The team should turn out in hooped vests and eye masks, sponsored by Swag & Co........we are being pissed on.
SACK Bentley! on 14:24 - Feb 22 with 1651 viewsJames1980

SACK Bentley! on 14:17 - Feb 22 by sweetcorn

Tbf I never want another balding scouser in charge of Rochdale again. It cant be a coincidence..

The pc term is follically challenged 😀

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

SACK Bentley! on 14:49 - Feb 22 with 1567 viewsTalkingSutty

SACK Bentley! on 10:55 - Feb 22 by JimmyRustler

Sorry let me clarify, I meant promote from within until the end of the season.

To do so long term would be suicidal.

Thanks for cleaing that up. It's only my opinion but somebody who has experience of the NL is imperative i think. Apparently the NL is full of battle hardened ex professionals and a lot of players who could play at a higher level but have other means of earning money away from football so they are happy to play at that level. Blooding youth players is very difficult due to the physical nature of the games. We've seen how Mularkey has just breezed into L2 football and there will be plenty of players of his standard in the NL. We are going to need a team that is equipped to face the physical challenge and a manager who knows what is needed, blooding youth team players because they are doing well at their respective level might be a luxury we can only afford once we have found our feet. If we are going to sack Bentley now in order to install a caretaker manager from within until Summer i would rather keep Bentley, it's just causing more uncertainty.
SACK Bentley! on 14:52 - Feb 22 with 1553 viewselectricblue

SACK Bentley! on 14:00 - Feb 22 by AtThePeake

Surely the players who didnt play will train!...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

SACK Bentley! on 14:58 - Feb 22 with 1518 viewssamueloneils

Just a thought.

In all this talk about sacking JB, whatever the benefits in doing so, do you take into account the cost?. Do you think he will just walk away? He has a contract.

I don`t know the facts but I imagine it would cost about £250,00 to terminate his contract. Any better ideas?

Where do we get the money from? We have been told up front by the Board there is no money around.
SACK Bentley! on 14:59 - Feb 22 with 1496 viewsTalkingSutty

SACK Bentley! on 12:43 - Feb 22 by ThreeLions

Agree. Askey is available and so is Hill. I don't understand why we would take such a massive gamble on Ellis, Mc Nulty or Henderson, even if they wanted the jobs in the first place. What credentials do they have at this level? None. At least Askey and Hill have experience and have enjoyed success and no doubt there will be others with credentials who would be interested. It would be crazy to even contemplate blooding a rookie manager at this time, the fact they have connections with the club is irrelevant.
SACK Bentley! on 15:01 - Feb 22 with 1488 viewssamueloneils

Ok before anyone makes any smart alec responses, I meant an extra0 to read £250,000.
SACK Bentley! on 15:06 - Feb 22 with 1432 viewsTalkingSutty

SACK Bentley! on 13:09 - Feb 22 by Sheffield_dale

Obviously if he wants it, then offer it to him.

Ellis may not have the academy job to fall back on anymore so given the choice of manager or job centre he may have a different view. He will obviously have to be motivated to create a full structure incorporating the youth team.

Why offer it to him if he wants it, is that the level that the club has stooped to? Is that the expectancy? No, we don't offer it to him, we offer it to the best candidate that we can find. We aren't a charity case and why does Tony Ellis deserve to be the manager over anybody else?
SACK Bentley! on 15:11 - Feb 22 with 1389 viewsSheffield_dale

SACK Bentley! on 14:59 - Feb 22 by TalkingSutty

Agree. Askey is available and so is Hill. I don't understand why we would take such a massive gamble on Ellis, Mc Nulty or Henderson, even if they wanted the jobs in the first place. What credentials do they have at this level? None. At least Askey and Hill have experience and have enjoyed success and no doubt there will be others with credentials who would be interested. It would be crazy to even contemplate blooding a rookie manager at this time, the fact they have connections with the club is irrelevant.

Askey will no doubt return to York.

Hill was awful at Scunthorpe. The fans hated him.

We won't attract big name managers (for that level) so we need someone who understands the club from day one. Hopefully "day one" is soon.

This is why Ellis is the choice for me. Put EBJ on gardening leave and give Ellis a pay rise with the remit of structuring the club/academy under one umbrella. Sensible, cost-effective and sustainable if admittedly uninspiring. At least it's not a complete unknown.
SACK Bentley! on 15:15 - Feb 22 with 1344 viewsSheffield_dale

SACK Bentley! on 15:06 - Feb 22 by TalkingSutty

Why offer it to him if he wants it, is that the level that the club has stooped to? Is that the expectancy? No, we don't offer it to him, we offer it to the best candidate that we can find. We aren't a charity case and why does Tony Ellis deserve to be the manager over anybody else?

Because he has done an excellent job in his role at the club.

Because he isn't an unknown quantity like Coleman/Eyre/Bentley/Stockdale

Taking everything into account, including an inevitable club structure change, he may be the best and most realistic candidate. In my opinion of course 😇
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024