Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Board Update 12:38 - Mar 28 with 11463 viewsChaffRAFC

This post has been edited by an administrator

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Board Update on 14:12 - Mar 28 with 3977 viewsTalkingSutty

Board Update on 14:06 - Mar 28 by Brierls

Due diligence you mean? ;)

"MRKT Insights provide a consultancy service for those looking to invest in club football. We can provide footballing due diligence at league level or club level. We have completed projects for potential investors interested in UK, European, and South American club football."

FWIW I think this has come from the BoD applying what they'd do if their own business had declined. On the flip side, if this is driven from a potential investor, I think that reflects well on them too.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 14:11]

Yes. The Chairman and Directors have decided that they want to bring in a investor, basically sell the club, they've told us that. Everything they are planning now will be with a view to somebody else coming into the club and probably running it. I'm not trying to be cynical, just being realistic. It only reflects well on them if they include the supporters trust in those discussions, they should be front and centre really seeing as they ( the shareholders and fans) will be left to hold the baby.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 14:15]
Board Update on 14:24 - Mar 28 with 3863 viewsD_Alien

Board Update on 14:07 - Mar 28 by fourfourtwo

The Academy will be one of the first things to go if our stay in Non-League proves to be lengthy.

I believe it is predominantly funded by The EFL & that money will dry up.

Yes, i've made the same observation some time ago

But it'd be a mistake for the axe to fall in the short term simply on the basis of a recommendation from an external source. Once it's gone, it's gone: i wouldn't want to think about how difficult it'd be to re-establish it from scratch

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Board Update on 14:26 - Mar 28 with 3859 viewskel

Board Update on 13:50 - Mar 28 by Brierls

I've not even looked at responses Twitter, I'm not sure I can handle it. The statement could have been structured better, I think it's a little too business like for the majority of our fanbase.

I think it's a positive step, assuming there is a genuine agreement that output from the report will form the basis of a roadmap for the short, medium and long term. I'd much rather hear of actions like this than "we'll roll our sleeves up, work really hard, and sort this out".

It's important to acknowledge that there's a rather large admission of accountability from the BoD here. They're basically admitting they don't know what they're doing from a football perspective and need help. Granted, they've needed that from the start, but we're all too aware of the distractions and siege mentality those distractions created.

The services of a football consultancy won't come cheap, but I'd argue we can't afford not to take the opportunity for a full review when we're at rock bottom (hopefully). It's the perfect time to do it.

Christ, I’ve just had a brief glance at the Facebook story as it’s usually filled with absolute idiots and I wasn’t disappointed. One of them wants “the border directors” to go whilst the usual chav element have had their say but struggle to string more than a few words together other with their usual abuse.
Board Update on 14:27 - Mar 28 with 3853 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Board Update on 14:08 - Mar 28 by James1980

My comment was in response to early comments in the thread. Anyway an over reaction by me. I agree with those that see these moves as positive. We don't know why a company like this wasn't employed sooner but now they have been hopefully working with them has the desired improvements.

It was not employed sooner because we were/are skint and as pointed out, these Consulting guys come at a fair price, besides we have been leeching hard earned money paying useless players to a high degree, like Ebanks Landell who is incapable of putting a ball down the line without it going out of play every time.

So frustrating.
Board Update on 14:37 - Mar 28 with 3804 viewsA_Newby

Board Update on 14:07 - Mar 28 by fourfourtwo

The Academy will be one of the first things to go if our stay in Non-League proves to be lengthy.

I believe it is predominantly funded by The EFL & that money will dry up.

Sadly I think you are right if you look at what happened at Stockport who have only this season been able to reopen their academy.

Our funding comes mainly from the premier league.

https://resources.premierleague.com/premierleague/document/2021/11/23/1f9ec411-6
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 14:45]
Board Update on 15:11 - Mar 28 with 3659 views49thseason

I noted during my first quick look at the MRTkinsights website that they work with multi-club organisations.... I think this would be a preferred route from my perspective, we have a reputation for running an efficient and effective academy and blooding young players. Recent events have shown that many payers at the academies of top clubs are simply not ready for the cut and thrust of mens football, e.g.Cashman, Tulloch, Eastwood.... Its not hard too envisage being part of the development plans for some of the more promising youth players who have been scouted by clubs at a higher level and who need to be tested for their ability to step up. This will require a proper academy set up, as has been discussed already.
I still think we are witnessing a process designed to lead to a takeover of some sort, we dont know exactly what MRTK are being (or have been) brought in to do specifically or for that matter by whom. Its definitely a move that I welcome. Knowledge is power.
Board Update on 15:24 - Mar 28 with 3618 viewsjudd

Board Update on 14:26 - Mar 28 by kel

Christ, I’ve just had a brief glance at the Facebook story as it’s usually filled with absolute idiots and I wasn’t disappointed. One of them wants “the border directors” to go whilst the usual chav element have had their say but struggle to string more than a few words together other with their usual abuse.

That'll be Hadrian Wall and Mr Offasdyke

Poll: What is it to be then?

Board Update on 15:32 - Mar 28 with 3566 viewsrochedale

So this MRKT company are being brought in to help, assuming at a significant cost, wouldn’t it have been better to bring back Chris Dunphy, for all the obvious reasons I don’t need to mention?

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Login to get fewer ads

Board Update on 16:02 - Mar 28 with 3442 viewsDaleiLama

Board Update on 15:24 - Mar 28 by judd

That'll be Hadrian Wall and Mr Offasdyke

Moaners on Facebook is a time-honoured custom, and exorcise the demons is their M.O.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Board Update on 16:03 - Mar 28 with 3429 views49thseason

Board Update on 15:32 - Mar 28 by rochedale

So this MRKT company are being brought in to help, assuming at a significant cost, wouldn’t it have been better to bring back Chris Dunphy, for all the obvious reasons I don’t need to mention?

No, Chris was then, this is now. Read their website (there's load of it) they have expertise that we have never had and never will have if we keep looking over our shoulder. How much has it cost to assemble the last two squads which have produced the square root of FA? How much have we wasted on ineffectual managers and coaches? How many saleable players do we have now compared to 2 season ago? We need to up our game behind the scenes as well as on the pitch, to do that requires a plan, a strategy for change and the ability to see what works and what doesn't before it puts us deeper in the mire. I get the hope and desire to return to better days, but football is now a cut-throat industry with no room for romantic dreams of halcyon days gone by , what has gone has gone. We have to go forwards.
Board Update on 16:20 - Mar 28 with 3354 viewsdingdangblue

Board Update on 13:18 - Mar 28 by Kingstdale

Well yes,,of course,but at least they've taken a step. We cannot just be negative about everything.

At least its not cost us our 102 years in the football league...
Oh

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Board Update on 16:47 - Mar 28 with 3255 viewsjoecooke

Board Update on 14:24 - Mar 28 by D_Alien

Yes, i've made the same observation some time ago

But it'd be a mistake for the axe to fall in the short term simply on the basis of a recommendation from an external source. Once it's gone, it's gone: i wouldn't want to think about how difficult it'd be to re-establish it from scratch

Maybe we take the tier four approach to an Academy and only have an u18s and u21s setup.

Picking up players released from other clubs etc could work as we are in a good area geographically for population though would be well down the footballing pyramid for Academy football.

I think it was Brentford who went down this route a good few years ago and they seem to have done alright!

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Board Update on 16:56 - Mar 28 with 3180 viewsNigelWatson

Board Update on 15:32 - Mar 28 by rochedale

Exactly - outsourcing the general management of the club to a team of consultants is usually very expensive - essentially it involves doubling up on an overhead. Is this just going to be a one-off? Once managers start relying on bringing in consultants to do their jobs for them it becomes a hard habit to break.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 16:58]
Board Update on 17:52 - Mar 28 with 3006 viewsDalenet

Board Update on 14:07 - Mar 28 by D_Alien

If this is the case (not saying it is, but TS has a point...), then it's the club paying for the due diligence

[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 14:08]

Or maybe the insights are needed to present the club well in an Information Memorandum. To get professional investors you need professional insights and story.

More importantly the BoD can structure the club differently if required and bring in the right skills where we are short. Our COO is experienced at running a football club so not sure why we have struggled to understand that we are short in capability. Or maybe the BoD need external validation of that view.

Regardless, the exercise can't do any harm. We can only hope that the cost is covered at the same time as we are covering the cost of the management change. Needs must though
Board Update on 18:03 - Mar 28 with 2957 views442Dale

If there’s a need for an external organisation to review football operations, will it in turn lead to requiring similar to review other club operations as well?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Board Update on 18:06 - Mar 28 with 2942 viewsNorthernDale

I personally believe we should seek to continue the Academy system, in that as developed a good reputation, its produce players that have joined the first team and then sold, to bring money into the club. Sadly some of our previous managers have not accessed this pool of players to bring them through, with the right manager, the academy can be essential in any future squad development.
Board Update on 18:21 - Mar 28 with 2888 viewsfourfourtwo

Board Update on 18:06 - Mar 28 by NorthernDale

I personally believe we should seek to continue the Academy system, in that as developed a good reputation, its produce players that have joined the first team and then sold, to bring money into the club. Sadly some of our previous managers have not accessed this pool of players to bring them through, with the right manager, the academy can be essential in any future squad development.

The problem with this is the majority of the cost is currently covered by the Prem, this will cease in Non-league & the cost will be unsustainable.
Board Update on 19:34 - Mar 28 with 2674 viewsTomRAFC

Board Update on 18:03 - Mar 28 by 442Dale

If there’s a need for an external organisation to review football operations, will it in turn lead to requiring similar to review other club operations as well?

Here's hoping. That could only be beneficial and would surely help the board manage the club better, especially at a time when there is a lack of footballing experience behind the scenes.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Board Update on 20:40 - Mar 28 with 2491 viewsEllDale

I’m down at the Shay tonight watching Halifax play Aldershot.
Tahvon Campbell is playing tonight for the visitors but on the left wing. Hadn’t really seen much of he ball so far.
Getting to the point though, I was talking to a few Aldershot fans in the bar and, whilst their club has a chequered financial history in the last decade or so, they operate a full Academy system from under 9’s right the way through the age groups to the youth teams.
They also run a couple of centres of excellence in Surrey and Hampshire.
If they can find and run it then surely Dale can?
Board Update on 20:41 - Mar 28 with 2488 viewsDorkingDale

Board Update on 13:09 - Mar 28 by joecooke

Surely the board knew they needed help from the outset as no one had any experience running a football club.

I think they had another priority at the time....preventing the hostile takeover.
Board Update on 20:43 - Mar 28 with 2476 viewsDorkingDale

Board Update on 13:44 - Mar 28 by joecooke

They have been in post for the best part of two years. Why has it taken so long would be my question.

Are you aware of what this board had to deal with when it took over?
Board Update on 20:58 - Mar 28 with 2429 viewsjoecooke

Board Update on 20:43 - Mar 28 by DorkingDale

Are you aware of what this board had to deal with when it took over?

I have a rough idea of what they had/chose to deal with and am appreciative that they stepped up .

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Board Update on 01:56 - Mar 29 with 2137 viewsDorkingDale

Board Update on 20:58 - Mar 28 by joecooke

I have a rough idea of what they had/chose to deal with and am appreciative that they stepped up .

They did indeed - like lambs to the slaughter in retrospect - and they stumped up a lot of cash which I'm sure they weren't expecting at the beginning (not to mention the threat of legal action against them all, which might have been catastrophic to their personal finances). These are not multi-millionaires - they are relatively successful local businessmen who have families & livelihoods to consider.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with the apparent stagnation, firstly with RS & subsequently with Jim - stable doors & horses come to mind in both cases.

However, it doesn't help the cause to speculate as to what should/could have happened in the past. They've seemingly acknowledged their weaknesses as a board & addressed the situation in a practical manner, so let's get behind them instead of focussing on the past.

We are where we are & we need to pull together now more than ever. Any potential investors will not be encouraged by detrimental & negative feedback from supporters.

Onward & upward - Wimbledon here we come.
Board Update on 02:19 - Mar 29 with 2116 viewsSandyman

Great news. The ones who espouse their wisdom on Facebook and Twitter who say "sack the board" and "Gauge Out" with no obvious alternative solutions, are actually going to pump in loads of their personal money, time and superior expertise in running a football club to solve all The Dale's problems.

Look forward to them buying up shares legally, consulting with Dale Trust and holding an open meeting with shareholders and supporters to show how much better they are at running RAFC than anybody 'cos they know it all, innit?

This has no basis in fact and therefore will be believed on Facebook and Twitter as gospel.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 3:08]
Board Update on 14:41 - Mar 29 with 1679 viewsTomRAFC

From the MRKT website - https://mrktinsights.com/index.php/our-services/

"Senior Staff Recruitment
MRKT Insights provide recruitment solutions for senior football staff.

We maintain a large and steadily growing database of Head Coaches and Sporting Directors.

We have supported clubs in the Champions League in the recruitment process for their Head Coaches, and have advised clubs on candidate lists and background checks for their Sporting Director hires.

Our process uses data but we also like to meet with and speak to senior staff to ensure their personalities are good fits with our clients."

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024