Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. 05:18 - Apr 1 with 8932 viewsTalkingSutty

Our best ever CEO and somebody who has done a great job at Vale Park. Good luck in whatever you decide to do next Colin.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2023 5:20]
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 20:22 - Apr 1 with 2615 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 19:52 - Apr 1 by fourfourtwo

I hope you know that waffling a load of bollocks such as that neither makes you appear likeable or informed.

I’d say the main reason for the change of job title was the toxicity of the CEO title being associated with DB. That’s it.

Now back in the real world, we are much more likely to see the club appoint a DOF rather than bring CG back to the club. As I said. There is already somebody employed in that role.

Thankyou for your kind words, i'll take it as a compliment

I referred to someone of similar stature to CG, not necessarily him

The key principle underlying my argument is accountability. I'm damned sure you understand that concept

A management consultancy would have no accountability and no relationship with the fans. It's my opinion that almost anything is better than that. The club could be transformed in a way that leaves it unrecognisable and moreover, unrecoverable

If you're happy to risk that, fair enough, there's nothing more that can be said. On the other hand, an appointment of someone with the right experience - the job title isn't that important - would stand or fall by their actions. It's my opinion that's what would be in the best interests of Dale, and it's fans

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 21:10 - Apr 1 with 2457 viewssxdale

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 19:31 - Apr 1 by D_Alien

It was a quite deliberate move by the new board to change the emphasis from CEO to COO after the defenestration of the last CEO with the toxicity he brought to the club

Of course you know that

As a result, the executive function has been found wanting due to inexperience, otherwise we wouldn't be bringing in external "help". The appointment of someone with executive skills within football, which goes beyond what the current COO involves (which is more akin to the old "club secretary" function) would imo achieve the same thing, and that role would at least have some skin in the game

The role would, for instance, involve overseeing the appointment of those in a football management/coaching role, which it's been admitted by the current BoD was something outside their abilities. There's no need to be too prescriptive about this, but the kind of creative thinking required to shift the dial doesn't have to come from a consultancy which the fans would have no attachment to, and which could then (as previously stated) be used to absolve those within the club of responsibility

This is correct, you restructure the club, we no longer have a CEO position we no longer need a CEO we can then get rid of said CEO with no fear of an unfair dismissal claim. To misquote Stalin - if you get rid of the position, you get rid of the man.
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 08:07 - Apr 2 with 2262 viewsNewbury_Dale

All somewhat presumptuous, but you'd like to think Colin could be offered a non executive role on the board to provide ad-hoc advise on transfer negotiations and contract renewals moving forward. Assuming he wants to be involved of course.
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 11:45 - Apr 2 with 2083 viewsTomRAFC

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 08:07 - Apr 2 by Newbury_Dale

All somewhat presumptuous, but you'd like to think Colin could be offered a non executive role on the board to provide ad-hoc advise on transfer negotiations and contract renewals moving forward. Assuming he wants to be involved of course.

Sounds like an excellent role for him, but Colin's abilities extended to the day to day running of the club. It would be good to get the most of his skills.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 12:05 - Apr 2 with 2049 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 11:45 - Apr 2 by TomRAFC

Sounds like an excellent role for him, but Colin's abilities extended to the day to day running of the club. It would be good to get the most of his skills.

Could that be a DOF role? Does he know enough about the football side of things to do such a role?

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 13:16 - Apr 2 with 1955 views442Dale

Garlick’s time coincided with Dunphy and, predominantly, Hill’s. If we haven’t involved either of those when there’s an argument it would make sense to do so before looking at outside organisations, then not sure why the board would change direction (again) to look to give Garlick a role.

If you were to ask him what worked during his time at Spotland, he’d probably point to how we developed players, both through our youth system and by bringing people in - creating a successful on field product and assets that could then be sold on, with significant add-ons that would pay off over time.

It worked, it really doesn’t need any other expenditure or input to establish that.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 14:01 - Apr 2 with 1911 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 13:16 - Apr 2 by 442Dale

Garlick’s time coincided with Dunphy and, predominantly, Hill’s. If we haven’t involved either of those when there’s an argument it would make sense to do so before looking at outside organisations, then not sure why the board would change direction (again) to look to give Garlick a role.

If you were to ask him what worked during his time at Spotland, he’d probably point to how we developed players, both through our youth system and by bringing people in - creating a successful on field product and assets that could then be sold on, with significant add-ons that would pay off over time.

It worked, it really doesn’t need any other expenditure or input to establish that.

Having someone working within the structure, such as a non-exec (which is an excellent idea) with the experience to keep that message front and centre would be considerably less costly than the alternative - which has only come about due to losing sight of those principles

Incidentally, it's 2 April and we're due 'updates'

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 14:07 - Apr 2 with 1899 views442Dale

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 14:01 - Apr 2 by D_Alien

Having someone working within the structure, such as a non-exec (which is an excellent idea) with the experience to keep that message front and centre would be considerably less costly than the alternative - which has only come about due to losing sight of those principles

Incidentally, it's 2 April and we're due 'updates'

Indeed we are.

It’s hopeful those updates will include a further update on previously agreed updates like the update due at the end of January on the Volunteer Army.

But yeah, looking forward to reading the update.

Login to get fewer ads

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 15:12 - Apr 2 with 1817 views49thseason

If Garlick left because he didnt like traipsing from and to Macclesfield every day what makes anyone think he might want to have another go at it? He's 63, he will maybe figure its time to sit in his garden and enjoy some time off or possibly early retirement, especially as Summer is approaching. Going back to a club in crisis is hardly likely to be at the top of his agenda is it?
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:04 - Apr 2 with 1754 viewsEllDale

A few former CEOs have made a fair bit by temporarily acting at various clubs on a consultancy basis.
Trevor Birch is a classic example.
And, as I said earlier, in this day and age, with Zoom and Teams there’s no real need to travel regularly.
Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:21 - Apr 2 with 1718 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:04 - Apr 2 by EllDale

A few former CEOs have made a fair bit by temporarily acting at various clubs on a consultancy basis.
Trevor Birch is a classic example.
And, as I said earlier, in this day and age, with Zoom and Teams there’s no real need to travel regularly.

Precisely

It's about thinking outside the box, and with greater 'vitality'

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:22 - Apr 2 with 1717 viewsjudd

I had a lot of time for Colin, but for one niggle.

CD told me recently that due diligence on the appointment of Bottomley was left to Colin.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 19:29 - Apr 2 with 1476 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 14:07 - Apr 2 by 442Dale

Indeed we are.

It’s hopeful those updates will include a further update on previously agreed updates like the update due at the end of January on the Volunteer Army.

But yeah, looking forward to reading the update.

Do we have liftoff?

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 23:29 - Apr 2 with 1345 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 19:29 - Apr 2 by D_Alien

Do we have liftoff?

No?

Ok, so we know where we stand

Just to change the subject, anyone else watch the Tour snooker final? Great snooker but also worth watching just for the referee

Like something out of a Modigliani portrait
[Post edited 2 Apr 2023 23:42]

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 23:41 - Apr 2 with 1311 views442Dale

The Trust April newsletter does not appear to have been sent out yet. Not seen any further updates.

Maybe tomorrow…

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 23:45 - Apr 2 with 1297 viewsD_Alien

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 23:41 - Apr 2 by 442Dale

The Trust April newsletter does not appear to have been sent out yet. Not seen any further updates.

Maybe tomorrow…

Yeah

I'm sure the Curry Night will be a success, like Last Of The Summer Wine

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 10:13 - Apr 23 with 743 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Colin Garlick leaves Port Vale. on 16:22 - Apr 2 by judd

I had a lot of time for Colin, but for one niggle.

CD told me recently that due diligence on the appointment of Bottomley was left to Colin.

How many others thought DB was a good appointment at first and didn't see what was to come? A lot of people were taken in by DB and even became friends with him. There was nothing to suggest DB was going to rip the club apart, so to infer Colin was at fault for his appointment is totally unfair in my eyes. I'd have CG back in a heartbeat, as I would CD.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024