Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we progressing under Russ? 09:46 - Apr 3 with 2548 viewsvetchonian

Ok we are now well into Russ's second season and much debate still abounds around his ability so are we progressing or regressing is the question?

Finished 15th last season currently sit 15th so no change there it seems though the barometer for Russy is his success in the derby....now a double doube....but this season we only beat 10 men at home 2nil whilst last season we beat an eleven man Cardiff 3 nil then away from home we scrapped a late winner up there after giving away a 2 goal lead having beaten then 4nil up there last season.....Progress?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Are we progressing under Russ? on 09:50 - Apr 3 with 1971 viewsonehunglow

Take cover Vetchy
It ll soon be summer
Enjoy the summer

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Are we progressing under Russ? on 09:54 - Apr 3 with 1967 viewsWhiterockin

When we are good we are very good, unfortunately it has not happened often enough. Will we finish higher this season than last, it's to early to tell. IMO the real progress is through the age groups where international recognition and progress is clear. So as a club we are progressing, it now just needs to show through the first team.
Are we progressing under Russ? on 10:21 - Apr 3 with 1921 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Are we progressing under Russ? on 09:54 - Apr 3 by Whiterockin

When we are good we are very good, unfortunately it has not happened often enough. Will we finish higher this season than last, it's to early to tell. IMO the real progress is through the age groups where international recognition and progress is clear. So as a club we are progressing, it now just needs to show through the first team.

You say, "IMO the real progress is through the age groups where international recognition and progress is clear. "

Do you know what input Martin has with the junior sides?
Are we progressing under Russ? on 10:21 - Apr 3 with 1922 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Are we progressing under Russ? on 09:54 - Apr 3 by Whiterockin

Our main problem is our defensive organisation.

We have scored more goals in the championship other than the top three team.

Only two teams have conceeded more goals than us.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Are we progressing under Russ? on 10:43 - Apr 3 with 1899 viewsunion_jack

Are we progressing under Russ? on 10:21 - Apr 3 by felixstowe_jack

Our main problem is our defensive organisation.

We have scored more goals in the championship other than the top three team.

Only two teams have conceeded more goals than us.

Absolutely this! We need a stronger defensive unit if we want to challenge too 6 and clearly that includes a new GK or Benda back. We have traded physicality for mobility but you need a bit of both in this league.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Are we progressing under Russ? on 10:49 - Apr 3 with 1889 viewsBadlands

No.
Simply put.
Midfield and wing backs don’t defend, we chase games by sending 9 players forward while ignoring the defence and he is still trying to play a wide back three with three central centre backs.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Are we progressing under Russ? on 10:50 - Apr 3 with 1889 viewsKeithHaynes

Are we progressing under Russ? on 10:43 - Apr 3 by union_jack

Absolutely this! We need a stronger defensive unit if we want to challenge too 6 and clearly that includes a new GK or Benda back. We have traded physicality for mobility but you need a bit of both in this league.

Fisher has been a huge problem this season, he has a mistake in him every game that leads to a goal, Cardiff, Luton and Millwall. He is costing us points week in week out. And because Martin signed him it’s just another stick to beat him with.

If the club had invested in the keeper Martin wanted in January none of this would have happened.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:06 - Apr 3 with 1864 viewsvetchonian

Are we progressing under Russ? on 10:50 - Apr 3 by KeithHaynes

Fisher has been a huge problem this season, he has a mistake in him every game that leads to a goal, Cardiff, Luton and Millwall. He is costing us points week in week out. And because Martin signed him it’s just another stick to beat him with.

If the club had invested in the keeper Martin wanted in January none of this would have happened.

But Fisher was the keeper Martin knew and brought here!

Makes you wonder then why the club was hesitant on another keeper in January

Login to get fewer ads

Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:29 - Apr 3 with 1855 viewsWhiterockin

Are we progressing under Russ? on 10:49 - Apr 3 by Badlands

No.
Simply put.
Midfield and wing backs don’t defend, we chase games by sending 9 players forward while ignoring the defence and he is still trying to play a wide back three with three central centre backs.

Up arrowed in error, currently we are playing with a back four, not a back three.
Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:37 - Apr 3 with 1841 viewsvetchonian

Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:29 - Apr 3 by Whiterockin

Up arrowed in error, currently we are playing with a back four, not a back three.

Reverted to a back 3 on Saturday

Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:41 - Apr 3 with 1837 viewsonehunglow

Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:06 - Apr 3 by vetchonian

It’s the whole point . Judgement .
Fisher has none ,neither does the fella who paid 500 k to bring him here.
Just what could we have done with that money.
That makes BOTH Martin and Iwners culpable.I still have ambition for my club. There will never get anywhere until we get a goalkkeeper.
Benda is a massive loss,more than we could have thought possible

Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:45 - Apr 3 with 1817 viewsKeithHaynes

Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:06 - Apr 3 by vetchonian

And then reached for the scissors for their noses thereafter.

Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:53 - Apr 3 with 1793 viewsvetchonian

Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:45 - Apr 3 by KeithHaynes

And then reached for the scissors for their noses thereafter.

Or hesitant to spend more monies on another Russ pup? After all he was the one who asked the club to bring in Fisher....wouldnt you think twice when 12 months on the same person says actually I need this keeper not the one I was asking for last time ( one with whom he had worked with and managed previously and knew his capabilities)

After all all players can play the way the top sides do the way Russ wants to so why did he need another keeper?

Are we progressing under Russ? on 12:22 - Apr 3 with 1753 viewsDJack

To me at least, it does not appear that we are progressing. However, last year I said give him until the end of the season. if we go on a purple patch and storm up the table then the owners have to work out what they want versus what they feel Russ can offer.

If, as i suspect, we continue stuttering then we need to part company the day after the last game of the season. Our succession planning needs to be bang on to limit problems for the playing squad.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Are we progressing under Russ? on 12:24 - Apr 3 with 1750 viewsFireboy2

Are we progressing under Russ? on 12:22 - Apr 3 by DJack

To me at least, it does not appear that we are progressing. However, last year I said give him until the end of the season. if we go on a purple patch and storm up the table then the owners have to work out what they want versus what they feel Russ can offer.

If, as i suspect, we continue stuttering then we need to part company the day after the last game of the season. Our succession planning needs to be bang on to limit problems for the playing squad.

Definitely, we just cannot afford to leave it too late whatever they do.
Are we progressing under Russ? on 12:32 - Apr 3 with 1727 viewsonehunglow

Are we progressing under Russ? on 12:24 - Apr 3 by Fireboy2

Definitely, we just cannot afford to leave it too late whatever they do.

Agreed.

Are we progressing under Russ? on 12:44 - Apr 3 with 1725 viewsKeithHaynes

Are we progressing under Russ? on 11:53 - Apr 3 by vetchonian

Or hesitant to spend more monies on another Russ pup? After all he was the one who asked the club to bring in Fisher....wouldnt you think twice when 12 months on the same person says actually I need this keeper not the one I was asking for last time ( one with whom he had worked with and managed previously and knew his capabilities)

After all all players can play the way the top sides do the way Russ wants to so why did he need another keeper?

Andy Fisher - Poor signing
Matt Sorinola - Poor signing

Jamie Paterson - so so

Harry Darling -Decent

Flynn Downes - Very decent

The likes of Ogbeta, Stevens, Williams, OXO, Søndergaard, etc I can’t comment on as these were joint decisions via the recruitment side. So, all have a blame here if there is one. I would exclude Ogbeta as he wasn’t anything to do with Martin.

If I’ve missed anyone out then so be it.

Looking at Cullen he is flourishing under Martin as Piroe has. Walsh seems to revel in his role since injury, Cabango is hot and cold but I like him, Manning is off but has a good game in him every three, Ntcham the same but that’s been his career all over, Lati I’m sorry isn’t up to it, Naughton is playing out his last season for us, Fulton a revelation at times under Martin, as is Grimes, both love the style of football, I would add Cooper to that, I see that as a positive for the playing style under this manager, Whittaker seems in limbo because Martin knows he is off regardless of how well or bad he plays. Obviously Obafemi not going to be here come the end of the season.

Martin can raise his team for the big games that’s proven, he stumbles on the run of the mill fixtures and his consistency as a manager is at best below to average. That aside, he fits the majority ownerships model and now he is showing glimpses of how this side can play he will retain his job. Martin being sacked and replaced just isn’t on the agenda, having come this far the club would be foolish ( in their opinion ) to cut off the last nearly two seasons. That’s why he will not be sacked ( for me ) in the summer.

And I refer people to my comment at the start of this season. He can lose the first six and still won’t get sacked, and as proven during the recent dismal run the same applies. What I can’t get my head round is the fact some in Twitter land reckon the players are responsible when it goes right and Martin when it goes wrong. Agendas eh ?

This post has been edited by an administrator

Are we progressing under Russ? on 13:34 - Apr 3 with 1675 viewsDr_Winston

Fulton is playing just as well as he has under several other managers, despite Martin's best efforts to force him out of the club. Grimes isn't even playing as well as he did under Potter.

I think it's telling that most of the players listed as doing well are attacking ones. Let's be honest, we can't really point at any of the defenders and sing their praises because our defence is a shambles and has been since about October 2021.

If Russy can raise the team for the big games it's a mystery why we haven't beaten a single team currently in the top six all season. As far as I can tell we've got a single point from games against them, a home draw with Millwall. Most of our wins since last year have come against ten men or Cardiff, one of the absolute worst sides in the division.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:09 - Apr 3 with 1656 viewsmagicdaps10

Less than 48hrs after another historic result and we get this!

Can't we just enjoy the moment until the next game!? Not at all trying to deflect anything but come on all.....lets just enjoy this week and then get back to it after the next game.

Life throws up enough shiite, let's enjoy the moment.......for the time being.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:10 - Apr 3 with 1656 viewsjojaca

Bottom line is we have not progressed under Russ, we need to take the blinkers off after two straight wins.

The owners have interesting decisions this summer and they need to get the player recruitment right regardless of whoever the manager is because this current squad is regressing into a league one team. At the moment we have poor goalie and defence, no width and pace to the team and if Piroe leaves this summer, I fear next season.

Are there any of the younger players that have progressed this season, Cullen maybe?, the more I see Oli Cooper he is looking more league 1/2 quality, Wood and Cabango look leaky at the back, Is championship is step to far for Darling. The recruitment this season has been poor.

Even when you know, you never know?

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:13 - Apr 3 with 1642 viewsKeithHaynes

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:10 - Apr 3 by jojaca

Bottom line is we have not progressed under Russ, we need to take the blinkers off after two straight wins.

The owners have interesting decisions this summer and they need to get the player recruitment right regardless of whoever the manager is because this current squad is regressing into a league one team. At the moment we have poor goalie and defence, no width and pace to the team and if Piroe leaves this summer, I fear next season.

Are there any of the younger players that have progressed this season, Cullen maybe?, the more I see Oli Cooper he is looking more league 1/2 quality, Wood and Cabango look leaky at the back, Is championship is step to far for Darling. The recruitment this season has been poor.

Wood played well for me on Saturday and put his head in some dangerous challenges.

And he has progressed for his country.

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:19 - Apr 3 with 1634 viewsvetchonian

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:09 - Apr 3 by magicdaps10

Can't we just enjoy the moment until the next game!? Not at all trying to deflect anything but come on all.....lets just enjoy this week and then get back to it after the next game.

Yes a win and lets bask in it but Russ is getting almost cannonised on the back of the double doube BUT as it says this season we struggled to achieve the results as opposed to last year

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:25 - Apr 3 with 1626 viewsjojaca

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:13 - Apr 3 by KeithHaynes

Wood played well for me on Saturday and put his head in some dangerous challenges.

And he has progressed for his country.

I thought his defending was poor for first goal.

Even when you know, you never know?

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:30 - Apr 3 with 1618 viewsonehunglow

Sentiment kills off many teams
Ferguson was utterly unsentimental and ruthless.
You are only as good as your last game

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:45 - Apr 3 with 1611 viewsFireboy2

Are we progressing under Russ? on 14:09 - Apr 3 by magicdaps10

Exactly what I've been saying today.

I find it ironic one of the three people to uparrow your good post MD 🤣
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024