Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview 20:20 - May 14 with 11246 viewsstainrods_elbow

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/ainsworth-interview-140523/

First off, the mucky state of the exec box glass behind him feels to me symbolic of the lack of a clear outlook (of which more below), as well as the institutionally slovenly state of LR - plus ca change, I guess.

Apparently, he was bowled over by the quality of our possession football when he arrived (which I must have missed), though concerned with the lack of chances we were creating.

We weren't/aren't fit enough - though didn't add that bears have also been known to shit in the woods.

Oh, and team morale was in their boots.

The training ground, if we're humble and grateful for it, can play a big part in engendering a committed footballing culture.

We've got some brilliant players, and they've 'done really well' when he thinks of where they were when he came in (8 points of the relegation places) to where they were at the end (effectively staying up by one point if we take off the Reading punishment). Staying up was an 'achievement'.

All the senior players have helped us over the line, including Jojo, who helped us by, uh, not playing. Balogun, Albert and Martin all 'bought in'.

He wants to look at the injury situation, and the reasons for it, but doesn't want to give us any details.

As to how he wants us to play, we need to 'cut our cloth' according to the resources we have. Ideally, he'd want us to play fast, flowing, passing football like in the past, and reckons he's been good in getting the likes of Ilias into that no.10 pocket where he can shine (as we all saw against Brizzle, stuck out at left half), but his main objective is to get us points with two or three passes to goal rather than ten.

The owners care, really care, and he thinks it's the best job in the world, which is the main thing.

So that's it - all as clear as mud! I REALLY want to love and get behind GA, and the proof of the pudding etc., but I'm left baffled by his picture of the season and mystified as to where we're headed now.

Perhaps we'll all feel better and come back refreshed after a long holiday! I know I need one.

[Post edited 14 May 2023 20:22]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 13:20 - May 16 with 1464 viewsR_from_afar

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 08:58 - May 16 by BAWHoops

With regards to 'structure' EVERYTHING comes from the owners.

The whole ethos and essence of the club is dictated by the owners. The truth is that our owners don't really care and don't really have an idea of what they want really.
That bleeds into the recruitment.

If our ethos is 'We want to be a sustainable football club' then in the summer you sign Dujon Sterling to play right back because he's free, young and can potentially be sold on.
If our ethos is 'We want to be a Premier League club' then you sign Ethan Laird.

But if you are filtering everything through 'We want to be a Premier League Club' then you don't sign Taylor Richards and Andre Dozzell who are raw and need developing and won't be of any use in a Promotion push.

That's the problem, there's no singular vision coming from anywhere

"The truth is that our owners don't really care and don't really have an idea of what they want really".

You can excuse them of doing a poor job, of being too disengaged - although TF got hammered previously for being too hands on - and quite a few other failings but unless you have had direct contact dealings with them, you cannot be sure those two things you wrote are true.

My feeling is that If they really didn't care, they would not keep pouring in the £1.8m a month. We're a money pit and a really tough gig! That's just my view, I don't know any of them. I wrote Tony a letter once but the reply hasn't reached me yet LOL. As for what they want, I imagine it is for us to be a self-sustaining club in the Premiership but there is an immense amount of work to do before we can even dream of that, sadly.

Beware of positioning your interpretation or logical deduction as "the truth". They are not the same thing

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 13:57 - May 16 with 1378 viewsPhilmyRs

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 12:50 - May 16 by Northernr

Finally brewed up the courage to watch it. Few thoughts...

Yes, it's a PR piece. It's on the club's official website, of course it's a PR piece. That's why Chris Martin questioning the players' dedication off the pitch was such a big deal for me, because it had got to the point where the club were happy to have that go out on their official website - ordinarily you'd kill that interview for that comment, it would just hit the cutting room floor, for it to actually go out was remarkable and things must be so bad down there for that to happen.

I'll stick up for Nick London a little bit. Might not be your cup of tea in style or delivery, and he admitted himself on our Patreon bit with him and Andy that he kind of fell into the interviewing as part of the gig and it's not his favourite part of the job. But 1 - he's a QPR fan, lifelong. Doi you think you'd be able to hold your tongue and commentate on the season we've just had as professionally as he's done? I fcking wouldn't. It's not an easy job anyway but when you support the club involved it's very tricky. 2 - he did ask a lot of the questions people have raised on here, don't blame the interviewer if you don't like the answers. 3 - as said, it's on the club's official website, when we (hopefully) sit down with Gareth in the pre-season the tone of the questioning will be slightly different, but it's not going to be Newsnight is it.

The "I can't thank the boys enough" and the roll call of names who've been great and the Good Will Hunting "it's not your fault" bit was ridiculous. You'd honestly think we'd finished fourth in the league. At one point it's apparently not just the fact that they've had to deal with a whole three managers this season which has apparently destroyed them completely as human beings, but also having to move half a mile from Harlington to Heston. My God, how do the poor little loves get out of the house in the morning with the world the way it is?

But, a lot of the stuff he says echoes a lot of the criticisms we've all had of the team over the past 18 months. When he's talking about passing the ball around aimlessly in our own half, no identity to our play, soft and easy to play against, wanting to play more in the opposition half, wanting more shots on the goal, having to deal with and find ways to compete with a declining budget etc that really spoke to me and, frankly, could have been taken from any thread or any of multiple posters on here because it's what a lot of us have been saying as well isn't it? That bit I found reassuring, along with the Dobson interview on the Podcast last week I thought he was great.

All fair observations, and agree on Nick London, really don't see what the issue is with his line of questioning, thought he did quite well.

The style of play thing and being more direct, not aimlessly passing the ball around, getting shots away seems to have struck a chord with a lot of people. I can't deny he speaks well. I can see where he's coming from, and agree we do need to be more pragmatic but then you look at some of the evidence - majority of our performances, team selection, trying to get Martin in on a permanent - that just makes you wonder how he can implement this style based on some of the footballing decisions he's taking.

This summer, it seems very likely GA will have the chance to implement his preferred style on this team, bring in his type of players, (albeit on a very limited budget), and oversee major change. People are backing him because of what he did at Wycombe and how well he speaks during interviews like this, not as a result of what they've seen on the pitch over the last 3 months and the pattern of play, tactical set-up, use of players and in game management. That's a massive worry for me.
[Post edited 16 May 2023 13:58]
Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 14:32 - May 16 with 1299 viewsR_from_afar

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 13:57 - May 16 by PhilmyRs

All fair observations, and agree on Nick London, really don't see what the issue is with his line of questioning, thought he did quite well.

The style of play thing and being more direct, not aimlessly passing the ball around, getting shots away seems to have struck a chord with a lot of people. I can't deny he speaks well. I can see where he's coming from, and agree we do need to be more pragmatic but then you look at some of the evidence - majority of our performances, team selection, trying to get Martin in on a permanent - that just makes you wonder how he can implement this style based on some of the footballing decisions he's taking.

This summer, it seems very likely GA will have the chance to implement his preferred style on this team, bring in his type of players, (albeit on a very limited budget), and oversee major change. People are backing him because of what he did at Wycombe and how well he speaks during interviews like this, not as a result of what they've seen on the pitch over the last 3 months and the pattern of play, tactical set-up, use of players and in game management. That's a massive worry for me.

"...bring in his type of players".

Much as I want to see Gareth given a good chance, I am hoping that we still have a DoF who is involved in recruitment. In my view, DoFs are (or should be) to football clubs what the house of lords is to a UK government. Or something

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 15:27 - May 16 with 1238 viewsE15Hoop

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 13:57 - May 16 by PhilmyRs

But we already know that the first few games were him trying to work out where the squad was really "at" in terms of temperament, ability, confidence etc. There's no way any of us would have backed him going in blind and ripping up what had been done even under Critchley until he'd had a real close-up look at the squad in action would we? Plus if that had blown up completely in his face, then how does he benchmark any other kind of feasible approach?
We also already know that the Burnley and Stoke games in particular were set up to get us a specific result - which they did successfully.
We also already know that he wanted to be more expansive against Bristol City and was pretty p*ssed off that it backfired as it did (although we did have 17 shots off target in that game, to be fair).
I think you've got to take the Wycombe success and what he has said in this interview as indicative of the blueprint for how he ideally would like to build on whatever is left from this squad after all the comings and goings over the next few weeks.
Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 15:51 - May 16 with 1201 viewsPhilmyRs

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 15:27 - May 16 by E15Hoop

But we already know that the first few games were him trying to work out where the squad was really "at" in terms of temperament, ability, confidence etc. There's no way any of us would have backed him going in blind and ripping up what had been done even under Critchley until he'd had a real close-up look at the squad in action would we? Plus if that had blown up completely in his face, then how does he benchmark any other kind of feasible approach?
We also already know that the Burnley and Stoke games in particular were set up to get us a specific result - which they did successfully.
We also already know that he wanted to be more expansive against Bristol City and was pretty p*ssed off that it backfired as it did (although we did have 17 shots off target in that game, to be fair).
I think you've got to take the Wycombe success and what he has said in this interview as indicative of the blueprint for how he ideally would like to build on whatever is left from this squad after all the comings and goings over the next few weeks.

I think you have to see some evidence, no matter how small, to place so much trust in someone. You may see the Stoke and Burnley games as giving you just enough to show you what he can do and how he can set-up a team, fair enough.

In 3 months, I’ve not seen that. He talks so much about leadership, encouraging personality. In the interview he talks about wanting players to know everything about team mates, their wives names, girlfriends. He’s humble, wants the right culture, wants to get fitness levels up, look at the high number of injuries. In terms of style, not a fan of aimlessly knocking it about, wants direct passes, and crosses into the box. Ok, I can support all of this, but the technical side of the game, how to transition, particularly at home, you have to have a pattern of play, a structure, trigger points in what you do and clear understanding and tactical awareness. I’ve not seen anything that’s made me think he’ll be able to implement this since he’s been here.

I haven’t expected miracles, but just some glimpses of what an Ainsworth Team could look like, but I’ve just not seen it. We don’t work positions to get crosses into the box, which I fear will happen next season, we just ping it in if we can’t get the right angle, rather than recycle possession and go again. I’ve not seen anything positive in how he’s utilised our creative players that will make me think he’ll bring the best out of them. Using Dykes/Martin — you may say on this one it was circumstances, but potentially we could have Dykes and Martin starting together for our first game…this fills me with dread and further makes me scratch my head on how his preferred style will work.

I know this is going over old ground, but all I’m saying is that since he’s arrived, all the good has been from what he’s said, and how he’s interviewed and from what he achieved at Wycombe, I’ve not seen anything in terms of performance that would lead me to place so much faith in him now. I expected better when he arrived, and contrary to what you may think, I didn’t have high expectations.
Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 19:39 - May 16 with 1084 viewsRuislipHoop

Sounds like long ball with Dads Army then 😩
Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 19:58 - May 16 with 1039 viewsridethewave

Regarding Bristol City, that was his big chance to show us something, to get some youngsters on, to put the ball on the ground and at least attempt to demonstrate he has other ideas. If it goes wrong then who cares as we’re safe anyway. Instead, he chose the same, tired, aging team full of loans, and the football was every bit as dire as we’d expect. His team selection in that game was frankly disgusting.

He has I’m afraid (and I wasn’t exactly convinced anyway) lost me completely after that. Your endless optimism is to be admired, but it’s based on nothing more than hope.

As for what he says in his interviews, with respect he’s hardly going to sit there and say anything else, is he?
Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 20:28 - May 16 with 1001 viewsLogman

I wouldn't read too much into it. Burnley and Stoke were his coups de force. Bristol City was a complete dead rubber which will be forgotten by the time we re-start. GA speaks hits the right notes about what is needed and how we are best suited to go forwards. We've been fighting fire since October. Now that that has been extinguished I'm confident that the management team can make us competitive in 2023/24.
Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 20:54 - May 16 with 970 viewsSakura

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 14:32 - May 16 by R_from_afar

"...bring in his type of players".

Much as I want to see Gareth given a good chance, I am hoping that we still have a DoF who is involved in recruitment. In my view, DoFs are (or should be) to football clubs what the house of lords is to a UK government. Or something

Would be a fair guess top of our transfer targets this summer is Lewis Wing.

Out of contract now after this season at Wycombe. Real good player

If this is what Ainsworth means by bringing in his type of players then I am all for it. Don’t get the relentless pessimism by some

And if this is what is meant by long ball if we do get him then I will take that as well

[Post edited 16 May 2023 20:59]
Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 22:24 - May 16 with 872 viewsNorthernr

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 20:54 - May 16 by Sakura

Would be a fair guess top of our transfer targets this summer is Lewis Wing.

Out of contract now after this season at Wycombe. Real good player

If this is what Ainsworth means by bringing in his type of players then I am all for it. Don’t get the relentless pessimism by some

And if this is what is meant by long ball if we do get him then I will take that as well

[Post edited 16 May 2023 20:59]

Liked him for a long time, was surprised he ended up in League One. A warm yes if that's a possibility.
Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 23:17 - May 16 with 801 viewswombat

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 22:24 - May 16 by Northernr

Liked him for a long time, was surprised he ended up in League One. A warm yes if that's a possibility.

Heard we are one of a number talking to him this summer. I wouldn’t have said to the wycombe keeper either to be honest but has just signed a new deal with Wycombe

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Ainsworth 'Looking to the Future' Offish interview on 23:45 - May 16 with 766 viewsdaveB

Come on mate he wasn't trying to be more expansive against Bristol City, not with that team he picked and the tactics used on the day

None of us really know how next season will look, based on what we've seen of his team so far I think it's only right to be apprehensive about it all to say the least.

I hope the style both he and Dobson talk about is actually seen on the pitch next season, I have my doubts but would love to be proved wrong
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024