Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Asmir Begovic 23:59 - Jul 11 with 29438 viewsaston_hoop

Better than Jordan Archer to be fair

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Asmir Begovic on 16:19 - Jul 14 with 4811 viewsBklynRanger

Asmir Begovic on 16:07 - Jul 14 by QPunkR

I can do some (one) of those..

Asmir Begovic on 16:21 - Jul 14 with 4800 viewsQPR_Jim

Asmir Begovic on 16:15 - Jul 14 by Hooping_Mad

He's also not wrong, mute point?

It's selective as he's ignoring that under Ferdinand we signed Smithies who we got good usage out of and sold for a profit, then had Lumley come through who we also sold for a profit then replace with Dieng who we've sold for a profit and but for an injury could have had Walsh as a replacement possibly.

Previous regime was replace Kenny with Green then also with Cesar then pay people off to leave. So in that context Ferdinand looks like Einstein.
Asmir Begovic on 16:30 - Jul 14 with 4703 viewsHooping_Mad

Asmir Begovic on 16:21 - Jul 14 by QPR_Jim

It's selective as he's ignoring that under Ferdinand we signed Smithies who we got good usage out of and sold for a profit, then had Lumley come through who we also sold for a profit then replace with Dieng who we've sold for a profit and but for an injury could have had Walsh as a replacement possibly.

Previous regime was replace Kenny with Green then also with Cesar then pay people off to leave. So in that context Ferdinand looks like Einstein.

I didn't see a comparison to the previous regime, forgive if there was one.

Just the point that from the development side we did develop Lumley/Dieng and that's about it.

Smithies was a first teamer, I won't have it that we 'developed' him.

Clive made the point the other day that we have made several dodgy signings in this area for a few years now, and I think he's right in the sense that as a club if we have a decent asset in a position we don't make backing up that position a priority.

We always end up in a cycle of good/bad players due to either a) terrible planning/strategy or b) an appalling development side of the club.

Warbs not prepared to name any of the kids as subs as they were so far behind. I know what i believe.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Asmir Begovic on 17:26 - Jul 14 with 4463 viewsQPR_Jim

Asmir Begovic on 16:30 - Jul 14 by Hooping_Mad

Just the point that from the development side we did develop Lumley/Dieng and that's about it.

Clive made the point the other day that we have made several dodgy signings in this area for a few years now, and I think he's right in the sense that as a club if we have a decent asset in a position we don't make backing up that position a priority.

We always end up in a cycle of good/bad players due to either a) terrible planning/strategy or b) an appalling development side of the club.

Warbs not prepared to name any of the kids as subs as they were so far behind. I know what i believe.

The point is that Ferdinand within his role improved the situation from what it was before, that's context for whether he failed or not.

I didn't say we developed Smithies, who was the last goalkeeper we brought through the youth team before Lumley? Typically we'd sign goalkeepers, not particularly young ones either, so again signing a younger goalkeeper with good experience at this level was a step up on what we'd been doing previously. We've then had 2 consecutive goalkeepers coming through the development squad in Dieng and Lumley so that's lightyears ahead of what we'd done before and likely have done if Ferdinand wasn't here. Certainly doesn't seem like appalling development in this area.

Barnes and Archer I admit are weird signings, like you need someone to sit on the bench so the others can go on loan and the only keepers willing to do that aren't great.
Asmir Begovic on 18:50 - Jul 14 with 4269 viewseastside_r

Asmir Begovic on 16:30 - Jul 14 by Hooping_Mad

What the Mark Warburton who has managed to convolute an argument at every club that he has been involved with?

I am not sure that it is that clear-cut.
Asmir Begovic on 19:02 - Jul 14 with 4187 viewsDejR_vu

Is a DoF only required to do his job some of the time then? Great gig at QPR.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Asmir Begovic on 19:42 - Jul 14 with 4028 viewsQPR_Jim

Asmir Begovic on 19:02 - Jul 14 by DejR_vu

Is a DoF only required to do his job some of the time then? Great gig at QPR.

Suppose it depends on whether you think every position has to be filled by the development squad or if we are actually allowed to sign players too.

Ironically we're talking about this position where we've arguably had most success in bringing through the players. No.10's we have had similar success signing Freeman then brining through Eze and Chair through the development squad. In this time no strikers, no Center backs or Center Midfields through the development squad. Yet absolute proof of his failure is that we may have to sign a first choice goalkeeper for the first time in however many years instead of bringing them through the development squad.
Asmir Begovic on 19:57 - Jul 14 with 3976 viewsDejR_vu

Asmir Begovic on 19:42 - Jul 14 by QPR_Jim

Suppose it depends on whether you think every position has to be filled by the development squad or if we are actually allowed to sign players too.

Ironically we're talking about this position where we've arguably had most success in bringing through the players. No.10's we have had similar success signing Freeman then brining through Eze and Chair through the development squad. In this time no strikers, no Center backs or Center Midfields through the development squad. Yet absolute proof of his failure is that we may have to sign a first choice goalkeeper for the first time in however many years instead of bringing them through the development squad.

Smithies was great, one of my favourite players for years, massively underrated imo.

I think you have to look no further than the tour 'squad'. 8 years and that's what we're left with. Absolute state of it. We've got about 6, maybe 7 players that would stand some sort of a chance of getting in another Championship side, and some of those may well be gone by the end of the transfer window. The rest are nowhere near. I would be mortified with embarrassment if I had left the club in that state

Strangely, there's been no bun fight between Newcastle and Real Madrid for his services. Maybe he's waiting for Hayes
[Post edited 14 Jul 2023 19:59]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Login to get fewer ads

Asmir Begovic on 14:07 - Jul 16 with 3361 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Signed Smithies when we had parachute payments - great for us and got some money when he left.

Did well to get any money for Lumley.

Dieng - again, great for us (mostly) and got some money when he left BUT should have sold him a couple of seasons ago when we'd have got the most money for him, then replaced him with the keeper we'd been developing for that purpose (i.e. the Brentford model). The shitshow when he was injured in 2021-22 and we had to get in several keepers despite having several of our own hanging around is hardly a glowing endorsement.

Not hard to do better than signing Green and Cesar at the same time, particularly if you're paid half a million a year.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2023 14:08]
Asmir Begovic on 16:32 - Jul 16 with 2928 viewsqpr1976

Asmir Begovic on 14:07 - Jul 16 by Wegerles_Stairs

Signed Smithies when we had parachute payments - great for us and got some money when he left.

Dieng - again, great for us (mostly) and got some money when he left BUT should have sold him a couple of seasons ago when we'd have got the most money for him, then replaced him with the keeper we'd been developing for that purpose (i.e. the Brentford model). The shitshow when he was injured in 2021-22 and we had to get in several keepers despite having several of our own hanging around is hardly a glowing endorsement.

Not hard to do better than signing Green and Cesar at the same time, particularly if you're paid half a million a year.

Can’t sell Dieng at his highest price if there are no buyers or offers.
Rumours & speculation don’t make it true.
Asmir Begovic on 17:23 - Jul 16 with 2768 viewsAntti_Heinola

Asmir Begovic on 14:07 - Jul 16 by Wegerles_Stairs

Bit of selective editing there.

We got in new keepers because both Walsh and Archer were injured. Agree the whole Barnes thing was bizarre, but I'm not going to criticise the club too much for not throwing in Mahoney when, at that point, we were still well on course for the play-offs at least. There certainly were not 'several keepers hanging around' - all three first choice keepers were simultaneously injured. Any club would have picked up a loan at that point under those circumstances when in our position, to do otherwise would have been negligent (in the case of Marshall: in the case of Westwood, the season had gone and it was a waste of time by then I agree).

Seny's had 3 seasons as our number one. I don't really think there was anyone after 1 season seriously offering more money than they are now. If they were offering £5-£6m it certainly would have been accepted. And I also don't think the Brentford model is 'sell at first bid', either: they were/are good at waiting until the right bid comes at the right time. I'd wager most of their sales came after a few years at the club - you won't get far if you keep selling after one season.

Bare bones.

Asmir Begovic on 18:58 - Jul 16 with 2467 viewsstainrods_elbow

As I've pointed out before, you only get to implement the 'Brentford model' (even supposing said model to be transposable and/or desirable) if you bring through/develop/recruit good players that you then have the management expertise to sell on the right basis and at the right time. None of which exactly screams QPR since about 1597.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Asmir Begovic on 19:54 - Jul 16 with 2301 viewsBklynRanger

Asmir Begovic on 18:58 - Jul 16 by stainrods_elbow

As I've pointed out before, you only get to implement the 'Brentford model' (even supposing said model to be transposable and/or desirable) if you bring through/develop/recruit good players that you then have the management expertise to sell on the right basis and at the right time. None of which exactly screams QPR since about 1597.

We had a couple of good sides in the 16th century though. Reginald Pole was a serious unit up front, Benvenuto Cellini knew how to sculpt a pass and Tansen - best centre back we'd had in 200 years at that point. Unbelievable player was Tansen.
Asmir Begovic on 20:37 - Jul 16 with 2124 viewsted_hendrix

Asmir Begovic on 19:54 - Jul 16 by BklynRanger

We had a couple of good sides in the 16th century though. Reginald Pole was a serious unit up front, Benvenuto Cellini knew how to sculpt a pass and Tansen - best centre back we'd had in 200 years at that point. Unbelievable player was Tansen.

Tansen had a fabuous moustache, a more fabulous moustache I've never seen and I've seen a few fabuous moustache's I can tell you.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Asmir Begovic on 20:46 - Jul 16 with 2076 viewsBklynRanger

Asmir Begovic on 20:37 - Jul 16 by ted_hendrix

Tansen had a fabuous moustache, a more fabulous moustache I've never seen and I've seen a few fabuous moustache's I can tell you.

A spectacular moustache indeed - apparently he had 3 or 4 eunuchs working on it at any one time by all accounts
Asmir Begovic on 15:52 - Jul 17 with 1385 viewssdm1508

Anyone know what's happening with the deal? Sounded like it was pretty much done the other day. Ainsworth mentioned a new GK in post match interview on Saturday but still not here
Asmir Begovic on 15:54 - Jul 17 with 1365 viewssprocket

Asmir Begovic on 15:52 - Jul 17 by sdm1508

Anyone know what's happening with the deal? Sounded like it was pretty much done the other day. Ainsworth mentioned a new GK in post match interview on Saturday but still not here

[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 15:55]
Asmir Begovic on 16:00 - Jul 17 with 1298 viewsrobith

Asmir Begovic on 15:52 - Jul 17 by sdm1508

Probably just a media thing, holding it back to announce Beg and Wing on the same day
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024