Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Asmir Begovic 23:59 - Jul 11 with 29437 viewsaston_hoop

Better than Jordan Archer to be fair

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Asmir Begovic on 17:10 - Jul 12 with 3265 viewsSakura

Asmir Begovic on 14:22 - Jul 12 by simmo

The Begovic deal only looks good because our current options are so bad.

Is the point of this post saying that you are acknowledging the best option we have but we should still be unhappy about it… Jesus… cheers for that input
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 17:32]
Asmir Begovic on 17:11 - Jul 12 with 3291 viewsHooping_Mad

At 36 he's going to retire at the end of time so it's a no for me. No development/profit and hasn't played a lot lately.

We can do better, it may not be true but a good salesman never admits defeat.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Asmir Begovic on 17:19 - Jul 12 with 3213 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It's not a good signing, but...

It's not a good signing because we absolutely have to sign players with a re-sale value, or else our FFP position gets even worse than it is now.

Also, the simple fact seems to be that we either:-

a) We do not know any good young keepers we can sign,
b) We do know some and don't want to sign them, or
c) They don't want to sign for us.

All three alternatives are quite scary.

So it's clearly not a good signing.

But...he's a good keeper and - FFP and scouting apart - a good capture if we allow ourselves the luxury of viewing any of our signings in splendid isolation.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Asmir Begovic on 17:23 - Jul 12 with 3186 viewsGloucs_R

Asmir Begovic on 17:19 - Jul 12 by BrianMcCarthy

It's not a good signing because we absolutely have to sign players with a re-sale value, or else our FFP position gets even worse than it is now.

But...he's a good keeper and - FFP and scouting apart - a good capture if we allow ourselves the luxury of viewing any of our signings in splendid isolation.

Or... Walsh can learn a lot from him this season.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Asmir Begovic on 17:27 - Jul 12 with 3107 viewsSakura

When you say we have to say “we have to sign players with resale value”

Do you really mean every single player this applies to?

So to give an example if we had a pre cruciate injury Faurlin type at centre mid now you would be against us signing a Shaun Derry type to sit alongside him

Seems a bonkers viewpoint to me

You still need your Shaun Derry and Clint Hill type signings and they can’t all be youngsters
Asmir Begovic on 17:29 - Jul 12 with 3099 viewssimmo

Asmir Begovic on 17:10 - Jul 12 by Sakura

Is the point of this post saying that you are acknowledging the best option we have but we should still be unhappy about it… Jesus… cheers for that input
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 17:32]

Did you repeat yourself for emphasis?

My point was it's a shame we've worked ourselves into a position where this is about our only option - a 36 year old that's been a PL reserve keeper for the last few years.

It can be both the best we can do and not a great signing, the two things are not mutually exclusive.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Asmir Begovic on 17:33 - Jul 12 with 3053 viewsrobith

Asmir Begovic on 17:11 - Jul 12 by Hooping_Mad

At 36 he's going to retire at the end of time so it's a no for me. No development/profit and hasn't played a lot lately.

We can do better, it may not be true but a good salesman never admits defeat.

I think we're all going to be retired at the end of time fella
Asmir Begovic on 17:37 - Jul 12 with 2976 viewsSakura

Asmir Begovic on 17:29 - Jul 12 by simmo

Did you repeat yourself for emphasis?

My point was it's a shame we've worked ourselves into a position where this is about our only option - a 36 year old that's been a PL reserve keeper for the last few years.

It can be both the best we can do and not a great signing, the two things are not mutually exclusive.

I repeated myself because of Wimbledon and ditching the usual Neck Oil for fizzier drinks

But yeah thanks for confirming it was just a doom post. This last season befofe the Warburton £2 blow out drops out is a tricky one I look forward to you pointing out that while Wing is a good signing in our current position he is no Esteban Granero who played in a Champions League Semi final you know

And that’s a shame
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 17:39]
Login to get fewer ads

Asmir Begovic on 17:49 - Jul 12 with 2929 viewsNorthernr

Asmir Begovic on 17:37 - Jul 12 by Sakura

I repeated myself because of Wimbledon and ditching the usual Neck Oil for fizzier drinks

But yeah thanks for confirming it was just a doom post. This last season befofe the Warburton £2 blow out drops out is a tricky one I look forward to you pointing out that while Wing is a good signing in our current position he is no Esteban Granero who played in a Champions League Semi final you know

And that’s a shame

Think that one might need a third swing.
Asmir Begovic on 17:53 - Jul 12 with 2893 viewssimmo

Asmir Begovic on 17:37 - Jul 12 by Sakura

And that’s a shame

Stick to Neck Oil I reckon, and you're welcome 👍🏻

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Asmir Begovic on 18:14 - Jul 12 with 2792 viewsdistortR

It shows again what a complete failure our B team set up is, and what an awful signing Archer was.

On missing out on players, maybe Ferdinand was good at selling the club to prospective signings?

You got any feet left mate?!
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 21:00]
Asmir Begovic on 19:10 - Jul 12 with 2610 viewsfrancisbowles

Asmir Begovic on 17:06 - Jul 12 by Sakura

Mr glass half empty coming in with in my view a nonsensical take.

In what way does a “signing on fee” matter?!

He is being offered a package for one year whether you slit that into a signing on bonus or a consistent weekly wage it obviously doesn’t matter. The end number is still the same
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 17:34]

Yes the bottom line is still the same.

However, what we pay him weekly can't totally bust our wage structure. So a signing on fee and reasonable salary (relative to football and QPR budget) is how, I imagine it will be structured.
Asmir Begovic on 19:16 - Jul 12 with 2571 viewsNorthernr

Asmir Begovic on 18:14 - Jul 12 by distortR

It shows again what a complete failure our B team set up is, and what an awful signing Archer was.

On missing out on players, maybe Ferdinand was good at selling the club to prospective signings?

You got any feet left mate?!
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 21:00]

Another occasion, like Dykes, where one half decent first teamer is unavailable and there isn’t a single other person anywhere in the building capable of doing that job so we have to get somebody on the cusp of retirement to come and do it. We’ve spent the last few years making, in my opinion, some highly fcking dubious goalkeeper signings when we should have been preparing the next cab off the rank for a timely and lucrative Dieng sale. Dillon Barnes, for instance…
Asmir Begovic on 20:05 - Jul 12 with 2349 viewsHAYESBOY

Smells like a trout farm in here

Asmir Begovic on 20:21 - Jul 12 with 2240 viewsnumptydumpty

I think some of our goalkeeper signings have been decent

Alex Smithies was a brilliant addition and sold on too. Lumley , brain storms apart, could have been a very good goalkeeper at times. However seemed to go missing in action in terms of decision making on occasions unfortunately.

We signed a decent keeper in Alex Mccarthy but we got rid wrongly without giving him a chance.

Ingram could have been decent and obviously Dieng did well also

And the replacements last year were decent - Marshall certainly performed ok.

Yes Archer has proved so far to be a dud, Walsh and Mahoney as yet who knows and think a one year contract for an experienced knowledgeable goalkeeper on a low salary contract which assume it is, if he is to be number one is a sensible option.

That to me suggests perhaps the club have hopes that either Mahoney and / or Walsh could kick on this season and be ready either later in the season or perhaps next season.

As others have said because there is no actual resale value in the Begovic purchase if it goes ahead its not neccessarily a poor acquisition , particularly if its done as a possibility to give younger goalkeepers the chance to progress to where they possibly could get and then they themselves have the jersey and the resale value as a result.

Got to look at the "POTENTIAL" whole picture sometimes...
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 20:26]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Asmir Begovic on 20:33 - Jul 12 with 2153 viewsNorthernr

Asmir Begovic on 20:21 - Jul 12 by numptydumpty

I think some of our goalkeeper signings have been decent

Alex Smithies was a brilliant addition and sold on too. Lumley , brain storms apart, could have been a very good goalkeeper at times. However seemed to go missing in action in terms of decision making on occasions unfortunately.

We signed a decent keeper in Alex Mccarthy but we got rid wrongly without giving him a chance.

Ingram could have been decent and obviously Dieng did well also

And the replacements last year were decent - Marshall certainly performed ok.

Yes Archer has proved so far to be a dud, Walsh and Mahoney as yet who knows and think a one year contract for an experienced knowledgeable goalkeeper on a low salary contract which assume it is, if he is to be number one is a sensible option.

That to me suggests perhaps the club have hopes that either Mahoney and / or Walsh could kick on this season and be ready either later in the season or perhaps next season.

As others have said because there is no actual resale value in the Begovic purchase if it goes ahead its not neccessarily a poor acquisition , particularly if its done as a possibility to give younger goalkeepers the chance to progress to where they possibly could get and then they themselves have the jersey and the resale value as a result.

Got to look at the "POTENTIAL" whole picture sometimes...
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 20:26]

Well that's a hell of a timescale there mate, and lots of goalkeepers signed by different people under different systems.

Alex McCarthy signed here nearly a decade ago. Totally different people running everything, signing everything at that point. Before Les' stint as DOF. I thought he was a great signing, and should have been playing in front of Green.

Matt Ingram, decent signing on paper, poor goalkeeper, but again seven years ago.

Smithies, terrific signing, one of the early ones under Les that was genuinely good, improved, sold for more money - though I still think Cardiff got him at an absolute steal.

More recently, as per interviews we've done, the goalkeeper coach has influenced/handled the keeper signings, and I just can't get my head around that, nor some of the decisions we've made on keepers. Do other clubs sign keepers on the back of what the goalkeeper coach says? Maybe I'm out of touch, I don't believe it though. The Dillon Barnes thing will never sit right with me - three years of money for a mid 20s goalkeeper clearly and obviously not even at league Two standard, not even in our 25 man squad, and yet kept around earning. I've been uncomfortable with that one for a long time, and Warburton getting his dander up every time I asked about it didn't help.

Look at us now, having to sign Begovic because none of the ones we've got are remotely good enough.

Marshall was mostly crap. And you shouldn't be having to bring in 30+ year olds on short term deals mid season before one or two guys have got an injury. Same with Westwood.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Asmir Begovic on 20:48 - Jul 12 with 2046 viewsDorse

Naivety Alert:
If he's training with AFC Wimbledon, is he just marking time until we get back from Austria? Or is this whole signing thing just Twitter noise?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Asmir Begovic on 20:53 - Jul 12 with 2007 viewsnumptydumpty

I was at the games that Marshall and westwood played.

Cant say they were mostly crap at all. I thought they all did reasonably well in games myself

As i have heard said somewhere before - recollections may vary

The timescale I thought that the comment made said we had ALWAYS had a habit of making terrible signings for goalkeepers and to be fair I dont think we have. Centre forwards though !!!!!!!!!

we have made and had many many decent men in as goalkeepers

Way way back - seaman, woods, burridge, stejskal, parkes,.

But if we had to pick one gaolkeeper out for all time shyteness !!!

Only one man stands tall - Tony welshboy Roberts !!!!!!

Now he was dodgy... lol
[Post edited 12 Jul 2023 20:55]

Asmir Begovic on 20:58 - Jul 12 with 1962 viewsnumptydumpty

Also why not take advice about decent goalkeepers from the goalkeeper coach.

Surely out of all the staff at a club , the man you are entrusting to help your goalkeepers to improve performances why would you not then take on board his opinions about goalkeepers to sgin.

If the forward coach said sign Begovic - I think I would be a tad more worried !!!

Asmir Begovic on 21:09 - Jul 12 with 1906 viewsdavman

Asmir Begovic on 11:29 - Jul 12 by aston_hoop

Wouldn't surprise me if we keep Walsh around. There are far worse keepers for him to learn from on a daily basis than Begovic. Plus we already know Archer is shite so why waste league cup starts on him?

If that is true, why extend Archer for a year? Could have got another "prospect" in instead. Bit like Drewe, I suspect they were offered something, anything as we doubted we'd get anyone better...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Asmir Begovic on 21:26 - Jul 12 with 1862 viewsHarbour

Begovic’s can’t be choosers!
Asmir Begovic on 21:36 - Jul 12 with 1826 viewsnumptydumpty

Asmir Begovic on 21:09 - Jul 12 by davman

If that is true, why extend Archer for a year? Could have got another "prospect" in instead. Bit like Drewe, I suspect they were offered something, anything as we doubted we'd get anyone better...

Two possible reasons to extend I guess

Maybe they still somehow think he can be the man !!!

Or otherwise they honestly believe they can flog him elsewhere for a few shillings and if not they could have in the pipeline to loan him out somewhere with an option for a loaning club to buy him at the end of year

Unlikely i know but seen it done a la Taylor Richards - but yes obviously clubs surely are wise to such strange shenanigans !!

Asmir Begovic on 21:44 - Jul 12 with 1774 viewsterryb

Asmir Begovic on 20:58 - Jul 12 by numptydumpty

Also why not take advice about decent goalkeepers from the goalkeeper coach.

Surely out of all the staff at a club , the man you are entrusting to help your goalkeepers to improve performances why would you not then take on board his opinions about goalkeepers to sgin.

If the forward coach said sign Begovic - I think I would be a tad more worried !!!

Personally, I would doubt that Bankole is any better as a coach than he was as a goalkeeper!

I appreciate that you don't have to have been good to be able to judge, but I suspect his ability to get it right is on a par with Fernandes choosing managers!
Asmir Begovic on 21:52 - Jul 12 with 1723 viewsLogman

In the latest training video on the Offish there is no sign of Archer. Maybe he has been sent to a retreat in the mountains.
Asmir Begovic on 22:02 - Jul 12 with 1661 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

So in 18 months since we had to sign Marshall, Westwood etc we dont have a goalie in house ready to step up now that Dieng has gone.
Instead we are signing another pensioner, who will be taking up a wage.
This club does my fckin head in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024