Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jim’ll Fix It 09:36 - Jul 17 with 11229 viewsIOMDale

UTDNFS

Jim’ll Fix It on 08:56 - Jul 18 with 3322 viewsEllDale

No-one seemed to have any problem with data when it came to recruitment when the model provided by the former American shareholders helped with the signing of the likes of Beesley. Same sort of information and, as BJ says, we haven't gone 100% down the Moneyball route.
I got the distinct impression that the board had decided that, after giving Stockdale and Shan their heads in the transfer market, that a little more control was needed over player purchases and I don't blame them. If MRKT act as a DOF would then it's fine by me.
A couple of other things struck me.
BJ referred to the abuse that players were receiving last season. I wonder if he was referring to at matches or via social media?
And I'm trying to work who Altrincham could have signed by outbidding us?
Jim’ll Fix It on 09:03 - Jul 18 with 3287 views442Dale

On explaining MRKT:

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2023/05/meeting-with-the-club-16-5/

<<“ We asked about how the work with MRKT will proceed as nobody within the fanbase seems to have any idea of how it operates, though it was reassuring to hear from Jim McNulty that League One Champions Plymouth Argyle. We were given a very thorough explanation as to how it worked that was far too extensive to discuss here. We have requested that the Club put out a video on the official site detailing this could be communicated to the fanbase. The Club were very open to doing such a video.”>>

So two months ago. The club will be looking into this of course.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Jim’ll Fix It on 09:25 - Jul 18 with 3227 viewsste1

Jim’ll Fix It on 08:06 - Jul 18 by TalkingSutty

It makes you wonder why probably over 95% of clubs don't use this sort of model🤔. Anyway the proof will be in the pudding, we should be seeing a vast improvement now on what has been served up prior to MRKT becoming involved in recruitment.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 8:08]

Well, other clubs do use data like this, they just have enough money to do it in house with dedicated analytics teams. We'll certainly know soon enough how good their insights are!

On a pale blue dot

Jim’ll Fix It on 09:37 - Jul 18 with 3191 viewsEllDale

I thought that there was another significant comment last night where BJ remarked that he was puzzled by how there had been no consistency in recruitment over the last few transfer windows.
He said that he hoped that if he was given two or three windows then at least hopefully a pattern would emerge.
I hope he sees a few transfer windows as that would mean that he's kept his job!
Jim’ll Fix It on 09:41 - Jul 18 with 3174 viewsIOMDale

Jim’ll Fix It on 23:52 - Jul 17 by ChaffRAFC

Great interview.

* Not got a top 5 budget
* Lost out to Altrincham for a player based on budget
* Admits we're way short still, wants 3/4 more yet and will have more in before season starts
* MRKT committee based recruitment based on analytics but believes fans should have it explained
* Possession based doesn't necessarily mean playing out from the back or short passing. Can keep possession with a long ball
* Played 451 going direct to a target man last season before he was in charge and were bottom of the league doing it.
* Total options, not total football, trusts his defenders to make right decisions
* Was prepared to lose Odoh and O'Donnell
* Lloyd not been back to the club and hasn't accepted contract offered, deadline been and gone and we can't wait. Offers much higher up the pyramid.
* Sam Graham had been in training but has rejected the offer of a new deal
* Obvious aim for playoffs but have to be mindful of clubs like Scunthorpe and Stockport who have gone down and down again

Jim mentioned we couldn't pay a fee for the player who went to Alty and the only player they've paid a fee for this summer is Chris Conn-Clarke.

UTDNFS

Jim’ll Fix It on 09:56 - Jul 18 with 3124 viewsturnthescrew

Mr. Gauge needs to remember that this is a fan owned club and if he keeps ignoring the fans and failing to communicate with the fans, then he might have a struggle on his hands.

It's clear that there is a groundswell of opinion that questions his attitude and suitability to hold that position. He's an autocrat. His communication skills are non-existent, the fans never know what's going on, we are promised updates but deadlines pass without any explanation

Even the manager accepts that we should know what's going on, because we are entitled to know

Get your act together Mr. Gauge. The club is in crisis, we are on the eve of a new season and you sit in your ivory tower, without a word.

As a fan, and a shareholder, I'm telling you that it isn't good enough.

Big well done to the manager last night. I've just listened to the interview and he is clearly passionate about the club and the task ahead. He deserves our 100% support in very difficult circumstances. He was honest, there were no sugar coated promises, just the bare facts of where we are, and how much is still to be done. I wish him well, but this Chairman needs to show - and say - that he has the same dedication and enthusiasm as the manager. Acting like a hermit isn't the image we want.
Jim’ll Fix It on 14:46 - Jul 18 with 2704 viewsPeaky

Jim’ll Fix It on 09:56 - Jul 18 by turnthescrew

Mr. Gauge needs to remember that this is a fan owned club and if he keeps ignoring the fans and failing to communicate with the fans, then he might have a struggle on his hands.

It's clear that there is a groundswell of opinion that questions his attitude and suitability to hold that position. He's an autocrat. His communication skills are non-existent, the fans never know what's going on, we are promised updates but deadlines pass without any explanation

Even the manager accepts that we should know what's going on, because we are entitled to know

Get your act together Mr. Gauge. The club is in crisis, we are on the eve of a new season and you sit in your ivory tower, without a word.

As a fan, and a shareholder, I'm telling you that it isn't good enough.

Big well done to the manager last night. I've just listened to the interview and he is clearly passionate about the club and the task ahead. He deserves our 100% support in very difficult circumstances. He was honest, there were no sugar coated promises, just the bare facts of where we are, and how much is still to be done. I wish him well, but this Chairman needs to show - and say - that he has the same dedication and enthusiasm as the manager. Acting like a hermit isn't the image we want.

Hmmm this interview is worrying. As positive as Jim has tried to spin this, the undertones are once again extremely worrying.

Jim, as mentioned in previous posts, comes across as a “heart on sleeve” type of guy and is very methodical in his answers. He has a feeling of understanding his dressing room, his players and a willingness to do the best by his team, very Ted Lasso (sorry just watched the series). He seems to get the ethics and morals of the game and an understanding of the current tier in which we will be playing. Questions pertaining to formation and tactics were answered as expected by a new manager who has their own theorys and suggestions of how their game will be played. This will be judged moving forward like any manager is as the season progresses.

The playing budget, I don’t think is a shock to anyone in all honesty. Parachute payments, revenue, comparative budgets for the league, we have never been able to compete so not really a shock that we are not in the top 5 budgets for the league.

External companies doing strategic analysis data collection and suggesting players who fit a footballing mould, hmmm I would argue that it’s been coming for years. AI simulations will have taken over half the world in the next few years. Paying for it is debatable when a lot of this information is now just “online”.

Players being offered contracts and not having the decency to reply was disheartening. I get it there may be a no loyalty within the world of football, but surely the decent thing to do is let a club know you’re not going to take the offer. Got the impression that it was left a bit sour.

The worrying components:

The reference on numerous occasions to not being ready to start the season. Jim didn’t use this specifically as an excuse, but how is this even possible going into a non league season. Jim was honest but his honesty has laid bare how in the mire we are. Having to use youth team players to fill gaps when they are not ready is very worrying going into a season. A poor start to this season and I fear that even the thickest skin dale fans will lose support.

Jim’s undertones indicated so many issues behind the scenes. He acknowledged that people were working hard, but his pauses suggested he was choosing words wisely. The suggestions of looking for investors has become a bit of a pipe dream (let’s be realistic).

I echo that Jim will need every bit of support this season, but the lack of information coming from the upper echelons of the club would suggest it may be worse than many of us fear.
Jim’ll Fix It on 16:09 - Jul 18 with 2589 viewsHopwoodblue

Jim’ll Fix It on 14:46 - Jul 18 by Peaky

Hmmm this interview is worrying. As positive as Jim has tried to spin this, the undertones are once again extremely worrying.

Jim, as mentioned in previous posts, comes across as a “heart on sleeve” type of guy and is very methodical in his answers. He has a feeling of understanding his dressing room, his players and a willingness to do the best by his team, very Ted Lasso (sorry just watched the series). He seems to get the ethics and morals of the game and an understanding of the current tier in which we will be playing. Questions pertaining to formation and tactics were answered as expected by a new manager who has their own theorys and suggestions of how their game will be played. This will be judged moving forward like any manager is as the season progresses.

The playing budget, I don’t think is a shock to anyone in all honesty. Parachute payments, revenue, comparative budgets for the league, we have never been able to compete so not really a shock that we are not in the top 5 budgets for the league.

External companies doing strategic analysis data collection and suggesting players who fit a footballing mould, hmmm I would argue that it’s been coming for years. AI simulations will have taken over half the world in the next few years. Paying for it is debatable when a lot of this information is now just “online”.

Players being offered contracts and not having the decency to reply was disheartening. I get it there may be a no loyalty within the world of football, but surely the decent thing to do is let a club know you’re not going to take the offer. Got the impression that it was left a bit sour.

The worrying components:

The reference on numerous occasions to not being ready to start the season. Jim didn’t use this specifically as an excuse, but how is this even possible going into a non league season. Jim was honest but his honesty has laid bare how in the mire we are. Having to use youth team players to fill gaps when they are not ready is very worrying going into a season. A poor start to this season and I fear that even the thickest skin dale fans will lose support.

Jim’s undertones indicated so many issues behind the scenes. He acknowledged that people were working hard, but his pauses suggested he was choosing words wisely. The suggestions of looking for investors has become a bit of a pipe dream (let’s be realistic).

I echo that Jim will need every bit of support this season, but the lack of information coming from the upper echelons of the club would suggest it may be worse than many of us fear.

It begs the question are we still to find the level of football where this club is at regarding our financial level ?
I think most of us knew we were punching in Div 1 but with a bit of tweaking by a decent manager at the time in Keith we managed to compete.
When we were relegated I think we all thought we could survive and keep or heads above the trap door, sadly that was not to be, but finding out we are not going to be ready for non league football when let’s face it has been on the cards since February is really unacceptable as a club and some serious questions need to be asked of those in charge.
Are they really that pre occupied with selling the club ?
Shocking state of affairs when the manager admits to that!
There’s no Morton House shenanigans to blame this summer !!!
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 16:11]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Login to get fewer ads

Jim’ll Fix It on 17:17 - Jul 18 with 2432 viewsNorthernDale

I thought Jim was honest in his assessment, on the difficulties at the club, but he showed a bit of ambition in suggesting that he is hoping to get into the playoffs, he also admitted the squad is three or four players short, which hopefully be addressed, when players holding for decent wages, suddenly find themselves without a club.

My concern is the board's approach, I can understand them cutting back to save money, but the question is, have they cut back to far, losing two groundsman, the chef, the physio and Ellis. This approach may raise questions on the board's ambitions, in players according to McNulty, were interested in signing, but was put off due to the salary offered. Even McNulty seemed slightly surprised in that the budget, may have more aligned to that of a budget of a EFL team, but was instead given a budget of a average NL team.

Was it me or did McNulty imply that investment may be forthcomng in the near future. The board have saved the club, but at times they seem naive in their approach to running the club, this may be a side effect of being a fan owned club. When will we get a statement from the chairman on the clubs aims for this coming season?
Jim’ll Fix It on 17:34 - Jul 18 with 2387 viewsTrev

Jim’ll Fix It on 17:17 - Jul 18 by NorthernDale

I thought Jim was honest in his assessment, on the difficulties at the club, but he showed a bit of ambition in suggesting that he is hoping to get into the playoffs, he also admitted the squad is three or four players short, which hopefully be addressed, when players holding for decent wages, suddenly find themselves without a club.

My concern is the board's approach, I can understand them cutting back to save money, but the question is, have they cut back to far, losing two groundsman, the chef, the physio and Ellis. This approach may raise questions on the board's ambitions, in players according to McNulty, were interested in signing, but was put off due to the salary offered. Even McNulty seemed slightly surprised in that the budget, may have more aligned to that of a budget of a EFL team, but was instead given a budget of a average NL team.

Was it me or did McNulty imply that investment may be forthcomng in the near future. The board have saved the club, but at times they seem naive in their approach to running the club, this may be a side effect of being a fan owned club. When will we get a statement from the chairman on the clubs aims for this coming season?

He certainly seemed to be implying that some investment might not be far away.
Jim’ll Fix It on 19:39 - Jul 18 with 2218 viewsShun

Jim’ll Fix It on 16:09 - Jul 18 by Hopwoodblue

It begs the question are we still to find the level of football where this club is at regarding our financial level ?
I think most of us knew we were punching in Div 1 but with a bit of tweaking by a decent manager at the time in Keith we managed to compete.
When we were relegated I think we all thought we could survive and keep or heads above the trap door, sadly that was not to be, but finding out we are not going to be ready for non league football when let’s face it has been on the cards since February is really unacceptable as a club and some serious questions need to be asked of those in charge.
Are they really that pre occupied with selling the club ?
Shocking state of affairs when the manager admits to that!
There’s no Morton House shenanigans to blame this summer !!!
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 16:11]

I took it to mean that the reason we won't be ready for the season opener is not a financial reason. He says we aren't in the top 5 budgets in the league, but I'd suggest we're in the top half based on being similar to Gateshead and Eastleigh. So, financially at least, I would say this is our level.

As for why we aren't more prepared, I could offer Jim only being in the job a few months (and only confirmed in May) but that would be a feeble excuse really.
Jim’ll Fix It on 19:55 - Jul 18 with 2183 viewsEllGazzell

Jim’ll Fix It on 10:47 - Jul 17 by electricblue

Interesting i will have to listen on catch up...
I wonder if somebody will ask why is he continuing with the same tactics that got Dale relegated twice.......

Did you ave a listen and did anyone hask about the tactics?

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Jim’ll Fix It on 20:00 - Jul 18 with 2165 viewsEllDale

Jim’ll Fix It on 19:39 - Jul 18 by Shun

I took it to mean that the reason we won't be ready for the season opener is not a financial reason. He says we aren't in the top 5 budgets in the league, but I'd suggest we're in the top half based on being similar to Gateshead and Eastleigh. So, financially at least, I would say this is our level.

As for why we aren't more prepared, I could offer Jim only being in the job a few months (and only confirmed in May) but that would be a feeble excuse really.

I would suggest that Jin had to wait for two or three big earners to leave first and make room on the payroll for newcomers.
That didn’t happen until the end of June.
That was a delay of a month compared to some other clubs who were recruiting more or less straight after the season finished.
Jim’ll Fix It on 00:09 - Jul 19 with 1947 viewsPeaky

Jim’ll Fix It on 20:00 - Jul 18 by EllDale

I would suggest that Jin had to wait for two or three big earners to leave first and make room on the payroll for newcomers.
That didn’t happen until the end of June.
That was a delay of a month compared to some other clubs who were recruiting more or less straight after the season finished.

This would certainly make sense.
Jim’ll Fix It on 00:40 - Jul 19 with 1934 viewsHopwoodblue

Jim’ll Fix It on 19:39 - Jul 18 by Shun

Yep I meant non financial, how can a professional club not be ready ?
We have had since May to get the ball rolling, I’m guessing he means back room staff ?
We probably have one of the best training facilities in the league so that can no longer be
an excuse when it comes to player fitness ? As we don’t need to beg when the weather is poor as the pitches must be top quality and we’ll maintained ?

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Jim’ll Fix It on 02:43 - Jul 19 with 1905 viewsnordenblue

Jim’ll Fix It on 08:56 - Jul 18 by EllDale

No-one seemed to have any problem with data when it came to recruitment when the model provided by the former American shareholders helped with the signing of the likes of Beesley. Same sort of information and, as BJ says, we haven't gone 100% down the Moneyball route.
I got the distinct impression that the board had decided that, after giving Stockdale and Shan their heads in the transfer market, that a little more control was needed over player purchases and I don't blame them. If MRKT act as a DOF would then it's fine by me.
A couple of other things struck me.
BJ referred to the abuse that players were receiving last season. I wonder if he was referring to at matches or via social media?
And I'm trying to work who Altrincham could have signed by outbidding us?

During the last game at Harrogate just as the players walked off at the final whistle BJ walked from the dugout and heard lots of abuse directed at the usual suspects and stood there shaking his head looking at the crowd, id guess its probably a bit of both regarding abuse... not too sure what he expected after the season just gone, granted most of the shite wasn't directly his fault
Jim’ll Fix It on 08:49 - Jul 19 with 1742 viewsseasidedale

Jim’ll Fix It on 00:40 - Jul 19 by Hopwoodblue

Yep I meant non financial, how can a professional club not be ready ?
We have had since May to get the ball rolling, I’m guessing he means back room staff ?
We probably have one of the best training facilities in the league so that can no longer be
an excuse when it comes to player fitness ? As we don’t need to beg when the weather is poor as the pitches must be top quality and we’ll maintained ?

I think BJ means we are not prepared squad wise in the sense that 3-4 players are coming in so obviously they would have to jell, we all know what positions we are short, plus if anyone leaves, there is no transfer window in national league so opportunities are there to shape up.
Jim’ll Fix It on 12:18 - Jul 19 with 1523 viewsDaleiLama

Jim’ll Fix It on 08:49 - Jul 19 by seasidedale

I think BJ means we are not prepared squad wise in the sense that 3-4 players are coming in so obviously they would have to jell, we all know what positions we are short, plus if anyone leaves, there is no transfer window in national league so opportunities are there to shape up.

Without going back to listen to his every word, I very much got the same impression on not being prepared.

I posted at the beginning of this month "Of course the proof is in the pudding (we all remember Stockdale's signings) but what seems to be emerging as something of a trend is that BJ might have some decent contacts and be reasonably well regarded, and that these contacts have enabled him to bring in a decent haul (at least in terms of numbers) to date.

I don't doubt there's an element of "one in one out" to the business we are doing, but there does also seem to be a co-ordinated plan about the way we are shape-shifting the squad. Jim wants his own squad of his own players. Rightly, he will live or die on that hill. I just hope he remembers when assembling his squad that we need a bit of entertainment along the way."

Having listened to his interview, my opinion hasn't really changed a lot. Being unprepared is no doubt a function of all the moving parts required to come together to build a squad which BJ explained pretty well. It's not a DIY project where you go down to Wickes and buy all the stuff you need for the work - it's making offers, having time limits, players and agents indulging in brinkmanship, relegation clauses, gazumping etc etc ..... all stuff that's out of BJ's hands. With all that said, he went on the radio and gave a very honest appraisal of where we are and the constraints within which he has to work. And he confirmed that he has not yet got his preferred starting X1 (for which I read, one which he would be happy with).

So yes, we're unprepared and we'll have to adjust on the fly. And yes, BJ may even have made mistakes. But on the strength of everything I've heard, I'm going to cut him a decent amount of slack. The main red flag for me from a coaching standpoint was that he trusts his defenders to make the right decisions. Again, the jury is out on that as we don't know how many carry-overs there will be starting yet. On the strength of last year though, I think his confidence is misplaced. I hope to be proven wrong.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Jim’ll Fix It on 12:26 - Jul 19 with 1501 viewsTalkingSutty

Jim’ll Fix It on 12:18 - Jul 19 by DaleiLama

Without going back to listen to his every word, I very much got the same impression on not being prepared.

I posted at the beginning of this month "Of course the proof is in the pudding (we all remember Stockdale's signings) but what seems to be emerging as something of a trend is that BJ might have some decent contacts and be reasonably well regarded, and that these contacts have enabled him to bring in a decent haul (at least in terms of numbers) to date.

I don't doubt there's an element of "one in one out" to the business we are doing, but there does also seem to be a co-ordinated plan about the way we are shape-shifting the squad. Jim wants his own squad of his own players. Rightly, he will live or die on that hill. I just hope he remembers when assembling his squad that we need a bit of entertainment along the way."

Having listened to his interview, my opinion hasn't really changed a lot. Being unprepared is no doubt a function of all the moving parts required to come together to build a squad which BJ explained pretty well. It's not a DIY project where you go down to Wickes and buy all the stuff you need for the work - it's making offers, having time limits, players and agents indulging in brinkmanship, relegation clauses, gazumping etc etc ..... all stuff that's out of BJ's hands. With all that said, he went on the radio and gave a very honest appraisal of where we are and the constraints within which he has to work. And he confirmed that he has not yet got his preferred starting X1 (for which I read, one which he would be happy with).

So yes, we're unprepared and we'll have to adjust on the fly. And yes, BJ may even have made mistakes. But on the strength of everything I've heard, I'm going to cut him a decent amount of slack. The main red flag for me from a coaching standpoint was that he trusts his defenders to make the right decisions. Again, the jury is out on that as we don't know how many carry-overs there will be starting yet. On the strength of last year though, I think his confidence is misplaced. I hope to be proven wrong.

It sounds to me like Jim isn't doing the recruiting though, he more or less admitted that MRKT are driving that. It's important to remember that because its how the decision to employ this company will be judged, the performances of those players that the club have signed.
Jim’ll Fix It on 12:34 - Jul 19 with 1481 viewsDaleiLama

Jim’ll Fix It on 12:26 - Jul 19 by TalkingSutty

It sounds to me like Jim isn't doing the recruiting though, he more or less admitted that MRKT are driving that. It's important to remember that because its how the decision to employ this company will be judged, the performances of those players that the club have signed.

I didn't get that impression TS. I got from the interview that they are involved in the early stages, both by making recommendations and running a rule over the clubs potential targets, but then the club steps in and as a team, try to assess fit, heart, ambition, character, ability in try-outs etc, before pulling the trigger. I very much got the sense that BJ has the casting vote, but unlike previous years, doesn't have autonomy to bring in who he likes without checks and balances. Hopefully this means we have people here who want to be and will contribute.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Jim’ll Fix It on 12:45 - Jul 19 with 1439 viewsTalkingSutty

Jim’ll Fix It on 12:34 - Jul 19 by DaleiLama

I didn't get that impression TS. I got from the interview that they are involved in the early stages, both by making recommendations and running a rule over the clubs potential targets, but then the club steps in and as a team, try to assess fit, heart, ambition, character, ability in try-outs etc, before pulling the trigger. I very much got the sense that BJ has the casting vote, but unlike previous years, doesn't have autonomy to bring in who he likes without checks and balances. Hopefully this means we have people here who want to be and will contribute.

I wish him the best of luck. I saw a lot of positive signs against Radcliffe, we pressed high up and the players looked in good condition, the new signings also looked decent. It was only a friendly though but just having a higher level of fitness than last season will be a great start. The first game is very important, it's at home and we need to play like we are the home team from the first whistle.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 12:45]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024