Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Colback! 11:08 - Jul 31 with 29284 viewsDoudou87

Apparently GA's top target, close to agreeing terms!

Opinions.....?

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-looking-to-sign-midfielder-colback

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Jack Colback! on 13:17 - Jul 31 with 4014 viewsChrisNW6

Jack Colback! on 12:20 - Jul 31 by paulparker

The same LF who signed Dozzell for nearly a million

I seem to remember it was Warbs saying Dozzell really fitted the mould for the way QPR wanted to play and was instrumental in signing the player.
Jack Colback! (n/t) on 13:17 - Jul 31 with 4014 viewsChrisNW6

Jack Colback! on 13:34 - Jul 31 with 3872 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Jack Colback! on 13:17 - Jul 31 by ChrisNW6

I seem to remember it was Warbs saying Dozzell really fitted the mould for the way QPR wanted to play and was instrumental in signing the player.

He was hardly likely to go on record saying he's ineffective for months at a time and lets games go past him consistently, seemingly being unable to do anything about it despite being technically proficient.

In any case even if it were Warbs that was desperate for him it offers the DOF no excuses as they're ultimately accountable. If he spunked a million pounds plus on a player that's been as poor as Dozzell purely on the whim of any manager or coach I'm glad he decided to step down as stopping that sort of transfer business was the exact purpose of creating the DOF role in the first place.

Anyway this is about Jack Colback, not Les Ferdinand. Think we've done that one to death.

I'd predict and expect Colback to offer more for us this season that Dozzell by a wide margin.
Jack Colback! on 13:35 - Jul 31 with 3855 viewsTK1

Jack Colback! on 12:33 - Jul 31 by Padulas_Shampoo

What's the point is comparing Colback's age to SJ's? Totally different players, totally different body types, totally different careers. Some players can play 700 games plus in their careers. Other peoples' bodies break down after 150.

Well, they are both central midfielders. They've both played most of their careers at a high level. The career differences are:

SJ is 18 months younger but has played 40 odd league games more than Colback, plus 55 international games more. So that's 100 more games that SJ has played in less time than Colback (though some of those games were in Norway, so probably less wear and tear involved).

Last season SJ looked totally cooked to me (apart from away at Millwall). Yet he still made 30 appearances. Colback made half as many: 16, albeit at a higher level.

So, yeah, worth comparing the old midfielder we've just released with the older one we may sign I think. Everyone hopes it works out. It *has* to work out. But let's not pretend it's not a hit and hope signing. He's nearly 34 and hasn't played much football in the last 12 months. Fingers crossed.
Jack Colback! on 13:39 - Jul 31 with 3797 viewsCateLeBonR

His middle name is Raymond and we don’t have a bad record of signing 33 year olds of that name. If he’s the best we can get then I guess he comes.
Jack Colback! on 13:39 - Jul 31 with 3788 viewsGloucs_R

Jack Colback! on 13:35 - Jul 31 by TK1

Well, they are both central midfielders. They've both played most of their careers at a high level. The career differences are:

SJ is 18 months younger but has played 40 odd league games more than Colback, plus 55 international games more. So that's 100 more games that SJ has played in less time than Colback (though some of those games were in Norway, so probably less wear and tear involved).

Last season SJ looked totally cooked to me (apart from away at Millwall). Yet he still made 30 appearances. Colback made half as many: 16, albeit at a higher level.

So, yeah, worth comparing the old midfielder we've just released with the older one we may sign I think. Everyone hopes it works out. It *has* to work out. But let's not pretend it's not a hit and hope signing. He's nearly 34 and hasn't played much football in the last 12 months. Fingers crossed.

Jojo was probably on a lot more money than were offering Jack!!

Another experienced body, in an area we need to cover, for little money...

Hope he's got 30 games in him.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Jack Colback! on 13:41 - Jul 31 with 3777 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Jack Colback! on 13:35 - Jul 31 by TK1

James Milner's a central midfielder and at 33 had 103 (and still counting) Premier League appearances, a Premier League title, a Champions League win and another Champions League final still ahead of him.

Aaron Mooy is a central midfielder and just retired at 29.

Johansen is a purely arbitrary comparison and no yardstick.

We're completely skint. Completely. Every signing is a hit and hope signing this summer. Every one. We're in no position to be making investments. We have no choice. I'd say Colback is a very decent signing given the hole we've dug for ourselves.
Jack Colback! on 14:27 - Jul 31 with 3509 viewscolinallcars

You go back, Jack,
Do it again,
Ball turnin' round and round……
Login to get fewer ads

Jack Colback! on 14:30 - Jul 31 with 3499 viewsrobith

Look Dozzell has turned out to be a bit of a wet fart, but he was really highly regarded. I can't believe I'm about to quote FIFA, but on FIFA 20 he used to go on to be one of the highest rated midfielders in the world in career mode
Jack Colback! on 14:38 - Jul 31 with 3417 viewsPaddyhoops

Jack Colback! on 14:30 - Jul 31 by robith

Look Dozzell has turned out to be a bit of a wet fart, but he was really highly regarded. I can't believe I'm about to quote FIFA, but on FIFA 20 he used to go on to be one of the highest rated midfielders in the world in career mode

We need experience . Dozell has been a big disappointment. Don’t know when he’s contract runs out but he’ll leave for nothing which on current form is about what he’s worth.
Colback is worth a punt.
Jack Colback! on 14:39 - Jul 31 with 3407 viewsHayesender

Is this gonna be another long thread, before he ultimately signs for Reading?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Jack Colback! on 14:47 - Jul 31 with 3342 viewswesty

Jack Colback! on 14:39 - Jul 31 by Hayesender

Is this gonna be another long thread, before he ultimately signs for Reading?

Hahaha I’m staying well clear of this one
Jack Colback! on 14:54 - Jul 31 with 3243 viewstoboboly

Yet the Ipswich fans all said he was lightweight

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Jack Colback! on 14:58 - Jul 31 with 3187 viewsRs_Holy

Jack Colback! on 14:54 - Jul 31 by toboboly

yep... I know you shouldn't read too much into the comments made on fans messageboards but i feared the worst when I read what the Ipswich fans thought of him... same as Tyler Roberts on the Leeds messageboard.
Jack Colback! on 15:11 - Jul 31 with 3086 viewsrobith

Jack Colback! on 14:54 - Jul 31 by toboboly

We said the same about WIllock when he started, that's easily fixed.

Sadly the issue is he's a "scared of failure" player who evaporates when the pressure is on, but you don't find that out until you step up a level. I think he was a worthwhile punt that hasn't worked out, and our only sensation on that ought to be mild disappointment. Sadly because our transfer business has ended in such a shambles his failure feels far more totemic
Jack Colback! on 15:18 - Jul 31 with 3020 viewsAntti_Heinola

The enthusiasm for this signing… jesus christ. I’ve got nothing against the Ginger Pirlo as he was once (bafflingly) christened, and can see how he’d be useful to teams in this league.
But all it really confirms is that we’re firefighting been the season has even started, recruitment this summer has been an absolute farce (i suppose you could say that most summers!). I guess if he is fit and can play that will be something.
Christ, we are miles and miles off.

Bare bones.

Jack Colback! on 15:25 - Jul 31 with 2944 viewsslmrstid

Can I just add as someone who turned 34 just eleven days ago that all the dismissing of players being signed that are the same age or slightly younger than me as being terrible because they're all old, past it, over the hill etc is quite depressing...

That said I feel they all look significantly older than I do. Charlie Austin is 15 days older than me but looks a good decade older at least so there is that. Although he has significantly more money than I do.
Jack Colback! on 15:31 - Jul 31 with 2888 viewsTK1

Jack Colback! on 13:41 - Jul 31 by Padulas_Shampoo

James Milner's a central midfielder and at 33 had 103 (and still counting) Premier League appearances, a Premier League title, a Champions League win and another Champions League final still ahead of him.

Aaron Mooy is a central midfielder and just retired at 29.

Johansen is a purely arbitrary comparison and no yardstick.

We're completely skint. Completely. Every signing is a hit and hope signing this summer. Every one. We're in no position to be making investments. We have no choice. I'd say Colback is a very decent signing given the hole we've dug for ourselves.

I know we have to sign him now. I understand that. I hope as much as you that this is the plug that fixes one of the gaping holes in the team.

I know we're skint, too. Signing two mid-30 something players from Premier League clubs on their final contract doesn't spell that out to me. I read page after page on this board about how we are paying (literally) for splashing out on older Premier league lag wages for Austin, Johansen and Gray; and here we are signing even older Premier League lags Colback and Begovic, with one more probably to come and a Premier League reserve already on board. Are these two cheaper - because why would they be?

I'm sure it's all fine. And I'm sure whoever replaces Ainsworth at Christmas will be as happy with these panic-signing players as Ainsworth was with those he inherited, and won't be paying them off next summer as GA did.

I dunno. I really want it to work. Hopefully, it'll just give GA the breathing room of a season so he can get another team together next year. But I think there is a different way to have approached this window on this budget, looking at who we will have signed by its close.
Jack Colback! on 15:32 - Jul 31 with 2874 viewskensalriser

There's certainly an argument that we need some gnarly old F***ers who still have a will to win, don't mind how they do it, and aren't terrified by a light puff of wind coming down from the Loft concourse.

We are properly into the red zone of needs must now.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Jack Colback! on 15:34 - Jul 31 with 2848 viewsngbqpr

Never liked him.

Never rated him.

Married to a Geordie and live in Nottingham so will have both NUFC and NFFC fans taking the pss out of me mercilessly.

The best I can come up with is, better bet than Gape.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Jack Colback! on 15:58 - Jul 31 with 2660 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Jack Colback! on 15:31 - Jul 31 by TK1

I know we have to sign him now. I understand that. I hope as much as you that this is the plug that fixes one of the gaping holes in the team.

I know we're skint, too. Signing two mid-30 something players from Premier League clubs on their final contract doesn't spell that out to me. I read page after page on this board about how we are paying (literally) for splashing out on older Premier league lag wages for Austin, Johansen and Gray; and here we are signing even older Premier League lags Colback and Begovic, with one more probably to come and a Premier League reserve already on board. Are these two cheaper - because why would they be?

I'm sure it's all fine. And I'm sure whoever replaces Ainsworth at Christmas will be as happy with these panic-signing players as Ainsworth was with those he inherited, and won't be paying them off next summer as GA did.

I dunno. I really want it to work. Hopefully, it'll just give GA the breathing room of a season so he can get another team together next year. But I think there is a different way to have approached this window on this budget, looking at who we will have signed by its close.

Austin and SJ were both given multi year deals. SJ three years.

I'm assuming Colback will be on a 12 month deal. Anything more than that and I'll do an about turn and join in with the scepticism.

We need bridge signings that might keep us in the league. This looks like one to me. But it absolutely can only be 12 months.
Jack Colback! on 16:31 - Jul 31 with 2431 viewsterryb

He was highly rated before he sustained an injury that kept him out of football for a long time.

When we signed him, he couldn't get into the Ipswich side that were mid table in League 1 & didn't trouble the play offs. He is still quite liked by Ipswich fans due to his early form, but they still can't believe that we spent an unconfirmed £2.5m on him*.

I did get the impression at the time that he was a Warburton choice, but who really knows?

*A figure often quoted at me by their laughing fans! I accept it is probably incorrect.

[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 16:47]
Jack Colback! on 16:40 - Jul 31 with 2367 viewssparkey

Jack Colback! on 16:31 - Jul 31 by terryb

He was highly rated before he sustained an injury that kept him out of football for a long time.

When we signed him, he couldn't get into the Ipswich side that were mid table in League 1 & didn't trouble the play offs. He is still quite liked by Ipswich fans due to his early form, but they still can't believe that we spent an unconfirmed £2.5m on him*.

I did get the impression at the time that he was a Warburton choice, but who really knows?

*A figure often quoted at me by their laughing fans! I accept it is probably incorrect.

[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 16:47]

Think it was £1mill. Shite regardless
Jack Colback! on 16:47 - Jul 31 with 2293 viewsgazza1

Moan & grown as much as people want.....we haven't got time. We need a player now. We are in deep shite.

& Jack Colback is the answer now......he ticks many of the boxes. He is an GA type player. I quite liked him but I have not seen much of him recently. He played a few PL games last year which is more than any of our players, he must be better than we have got.

Stop moaning and groaning about all & everything.
Jack Colback! on 17:13 - Jul 31 with 2143 viewstkqpr

Although i can see a need for a no nonesense CM to help Field, a missed opportunity to sign Oxford's Brannagan for free a few weeks back would have been a better option and still only just turned 27.

There are many more im sure, Alistair Smith, Regan Poole etc etc all on free's yet still young enough to develope on or make into decent long term club legends perhaps?

Im not saying he cant do a job for us, but a northerner (almost) coming to London for a one year deal smacks scrapping the barrel, when i believe there were plenty more ready made younger options available.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024