Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Colback! 11:08 - Jul 31 with 29282 viewsDoudou87

Apparently GA's top target, close to agreeing terms!

Opinions.....?

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-looking-to-sign-midfielder-colback

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Jack Colback! on 08:31 - Aug 1 with 3806 viewsNorthantsHoop

Jack Colback! on 07:47 - Aug 1 by DejR_vu

Totally agree it’s an indictment on the people at the club who have run us into the ground to the extent that we have to do this. But, it’s the reality they’ve created. I’m sure if we had someone at the club capable of digging us out of this monumental hole in a more sustainable way we would go that way, but we clearly don’t.

edit: and to add, I think this myth that we were ever a development club can finally be laid to rest. We dropped lucky with one player. Apart from that we sold a few for a bit of a profit, and flushed way more than that down the toilet on a load of other cr@p. We weren’t a development club in the ‘good’ times, it was just part of the propaganda, there’s absolutely no reason for us to continue to pretend we’re one when our backs are firmly up against the wall. We need to do whatever is necessary to survive this season and hope that, finally, the owners, just for once, don’t totally fvck it up yet again.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 8:15]

Good points, historically QPR are not a development club we even in our good days really the 1980s tended to find players at a decent price and move them on for a profit. Where we did have development players that moved on and up the chain for decent profit can only think really of three Clive Allen and Paul Goddard and that was over 40 years ago, the other was Eze and we only picked him up later when others had dropped him during his younger years.
Jack Colback! on 08:43 - Aug 1 with 3690 viewsconnell10

He looks like a large Alan Ball.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Jack Colback! on 08:45 - Aug 1 with 3651 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Jack Colback! on 20:19 - Jul 31 by joolsyp

#announcetheginge

The last ginger midfielder we had was Sir Gary Waddock so I’m delighted with this signing, even if Jack is 93. I’m speaking as a ginge myself so no I’m not being racist.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Jack Colback! on 08:52 - Aug 1 with 3591 viewsPhildo

Decent signing IMO- will need some luck with injuries etc
(No subject) (n/t) on 08:56 - Aug 1 with 3534 viewsBlue_Castello

Jack Colback! on 22:13 - Jul 31 by Hunterhoop

It sounds like I’m in the minority here, but I think this is an excellent signing.

IMO, Colback has always been class at this level. There were no signs his legs had gone the other season (like Johansen at the start of the season almost two years ago!).

He knows this league inside out. He’s a mouthy, scrappy fella. We need that.

Him and Field in central midfield suddenly looks pretty decent. I’m surprised we can afford him, even at his age. If it’s a 2 year deal, so be it.

As Gazza says (on here!) we are in deep sh*t with this playing squad. He is a starting quality central midfielder. Get him in. We need to stay up this year.

He might bully some performances out of one or two others as well.

My post just went AWOL , suffice to say you are not in a minority as I posted on the Summer Transfers thread yesterday, he's exactly the type of player we need.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 9:07]
Jack Colback! on 09:02 - Aug 1 with 3440 viewsAndybrat

Jack Colback! on 20:38 - Jul 31 by DejR_vu

The other factor, of course, is that we’re not an attractive proposition. Everyone knows we have no money, a weak squad, limited manager and are a decent bet for relegation. Anyone with other options is probably not going to choose us. Hence, I’m guessing why we have to offer two years. If ours was a one year offer and other Championship clubs offered the same, why would he come here?

Totally disagree, we are a championship side in London so one of the top 40 clubs in the land, yes we have current issues but the fact is there are and always will be more clubs below us ( unless we go completely bust). I like the signing, the reason being because I didn’t like him when I saw him play against us. Somehow despite the poor show we have to try and keep the faith. I look at the signings and better keeper, a bit of nastiness in midfield, Smyth a Duracell Bunny and young gun as Left Back cover ( Paal may be in midfield) and giving us genuine options. Fox is better than Dickie was last year ( sadly), just somehow need to get those tainted with last year’s disappointment on the bus. They need the 12th player more than ever
Jack Colback! on 09:09 - Aug 1 with 3345 viewsgazza1

It is all about money........he has been offered the same job at another company.

No issues with the signing with the situation we find ourselves in. He could be very important allowing others to do the type of work they like to do & more importantly, able to do.
Jack Colback! on 09:10 - Aug 1 with 3345 viewseastside_r

Jack Colback! on 05:22 - Aug 1 by Hunterhoop

It’s one player though, Clive. An almost 34 year old. For 1 year’s impact (after this year, in that headroom you’re talking about). If he’s fitting within our FFP headroom this year, he’s not going to be impacting that headroom much next year, is?! Not unless he has a much bigger salary in year 2 of his deal, which would be unusual.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a survival bonus paid post 31st June in next season’s FFP headroom.

Either way, the headroom grows substantially next season. One player of this ilk will not eat into that headroom much.

And the headroom is irrelevant if we don’t stay up. Doesn’t matter in League 1. We have to stay up this year for this to matter.

If we can get Steve Cook in too, I would. Assuming they can’t get Forino.

Remember you need some experienced pros, who have played at a decent level to help the development of some of the younger ones. Colback might improve Dozzell or not let Willock/Richards get away with not trying. Cook might bring on Dunne.

Sometimes a couple of players like this can actually improve or help create sellable assets of your younger players.

Paying bonuses on the 31st June is a ruse which might just work.
Login to get fewer ads

Jack Colback! on 09:12 - Aug 1 with 3313 viewsLongsufferingR

If the rumour is true about us also being after Steve Cook, then surely these are the sort of players who can possibly kick the slackers into shape? Martin was obviously shocked at the poor attitude around the place, and these are the Derry/Hill types we've been lacking for a long while.
Jack Colback! on 09:17 - Aug 1 with 3242 viewsToast_R

Well, I'm quite happy with it. At least he won't be scoring anymore last minute thunder bastards against us, so there's that.
(No subject) (n/t) on 09:23 - Aug 1 with 3175 viewsRangers67

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:56 - Aug 1 by Blue_Castello

My post just went AWOL , suffice to say you are not in a minority as I posted on the Summer Transfers thread yesterday, he's exactly the type of player we need.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 9:07]

Agree with both of you , not an exciting signing but exactly what we need now
Jack Colback! on 09:23 - Aug 1 with 3166 viewsBklynRanger

Jack Colback! on 07:56 - Aug 1 by distortR

I agree, but one of the reasons we're in this shit (Conveniently forgetting youth development and recent transfer dealings), is because we spent today's money yesterday.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 8:03]

No argument there mate but we can't just leave it as is.

IF we can get a functioning side together it could actually help one or two transfers to happen.

e.g.none of us have any idea what's going on with Willock, but he's surely more likely to get a move showing a hint of form over the coming weeks. Playing in a team that has at least a slight clue may help with that.
Jack Colback! on 09:27 - Aug 1 with 3115 viewsbosh67

The first interview. Is anyone else having trouble actually getting into the new offish?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Jack Colback! on 09:39 - Aug 1 with 2965 viewsQPROslo

Jack Colback! on 18:53 - Jul 31 by dmm

At 5' 8" I think Colback should stay in midfield.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 18:53]

5ft 10 according to Wiki, but he's not a CD. Has played at LB a lot though and at RB.
Jack Colback! on 09:47 - Aug 1 with 2854 viewsHoopsie

Jack Colback! on 07:26 - Aug 1 by Wegerles_Stairs

What about Albert? How do you know Colback (or for that matter Bergovic) is fit and will play regularly? He's 34 and has barely played for a year. Notwithstanding that he has been a decent player at this level, as Northern says, it's just yet another example of the failure to implement our 'strategy' properly; a development club develops players - Brentford selling Raya for £40m while we repeatedly hand two-year contracts to thirtysomething players with no sell-on value because the young players we do sign (Dozzell) or bring through (Kakay) aren't good enough.

Whether you think Albert is good or not, Martin included, they are available to the manager to pick. As much as Johansen can pick a pass or Austin can be in the right place at the right time, they got to be on the pitch. I don’t know if colback or begovic can last a season, it is up to the medical and performance team to decide, the same that decided johansen and Austin just wouldn’t do it

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Jack Colback! on 10:02 - Aug 1 with 2710 viewsDannyPaddox

Not knocking it but you do realise we’ve signed the bloke from the Polecats
Jack Colback! on 10:15 - Aug 1 with 2592 viewsQPROslo

Jack Colback! on 22:20 - Jul 31 by Hayesender

Anyone know if he's been training with Forest pre-season, cause we're gonna need him up and running by Saturday?

He said in his interview he's been training by himself since last season's end. Reckons he's in good shape. From what Gareth said it didn't sound like he's ready to start at Watford but then he's not going to be talking truths about Saturday.
Jack Colback! on 10:25 - Aug 1 with 2498 viewsPunteR

Welcome Colback Jack!.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Jack Colback! on 10:43 - Aug 1 with 2369 viewsTK1

Two year contract for a player coming off a Premier league contract who will be 34 in October, who has played eleven games in the last year and hasn't trained with a team since April. "Just what we need." It's got to work for all involved.
Jack Colback! on 10:55 - Aug 1 with 2285 viewsGloucs_R

Forest fans like him... One of many positive comments.

However, I still feel that it should have been a 1+1 contract

Poll: Are we staying up?

Jack Colback! on 11:08 - Aug 1 with 2204 viewsrbee

The Sports Scientists won’t let him play until September when he should be match fit.
Jack Colback! on 11:14 - Aug 1 with 2157 viewsmart_Goblin

Understand the concerns but no matter who we sign now there will be discontent because they will be too old , too young, inexperienced, injury prone, too slow, too much money …too ginger (I’m a ginger ..it’s just a joke😄).

But that’s why we are linked with them ! Because that’s all we can be linked with.

Understand Clive’s concern and agree mostly but obviously the penny has finally dropped somewhere along the line . We need experience and guile and unfortunately it’s going to have to cut a little into the budget . The alternative appears to be Dozzell and he was bought in to ‘look after the football’ as MW would say . Now whether he does that well enough in a footballing side is up for debate but what he definitely isn’t is a dogged aggressive ball winner and motivator . Dozzell is about as far from an Ainsworth player as can be . Which isn’t his fault …the club has run its business , in every aspect shambolically .

If the phrase ‘beggars can’t be choosers’ was ever relevant …it’s right now about this team.
Jack Colback! on 11:18 - Aug 1 with 2122 viewsDejR_vu

Jack Colback! on 09:02 - Aug 1 by Andybrat

Totally disagree, we are a championship side in London so one of the top 40 clubs in the land, yes we have current issues but the fact is there are and always will be more clubs below us ( unless we go completely bust). I like the signing, the reason being because I didn’t like him when I saw him play against us. Somehow despite the poor show we have to try and keep the faith. I look at the signings and better keeper, a bit of nastiness in midfield, Smyth a Duracell Bunny and young gun as Left Back cover ( Paal may be in midfield) and giving us genuine options. Fox is better than Dickie was last year ( sadly), just somehow need to get those tainted with last year’s disappointment on the bus. They need the 12th player more than ever

My original post referred to us being less attractive than other Championship sides. I fully accept that if he only had offers from League One sides, that puts a different complexion on things but, by most accounts, there were other Championship sides talking to him.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 11:27]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Jack Colback! on 11:25 - Aug 1 with 2029 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Needs must, and sums up where we are, and a sad indictment of the way the club is being run. Namely, an omnishambles.
Jack Colback! on 11:25 - Aug 1 with 2026 viewsswisscottage

I'm in the camp that this is an excellent signing.

I don't know where in the book of 'being a development side' where that states you're forbidden from signing old warhorses on two or even three year contracts.

Historically bringing in experienced quality players towards the end of their career has often served us extremely well, and can anyone genuinely say Colback is going to hold up the development of any youth players on the fringe of the first team.

If anything he likely to bring something to the squad that will bring some of our fringe midfielders on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024