Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? 03:49 - Aug 6 with 36706 viewsSydneyRs

We all know things look very grim right now and many want him gone, but is there actually anyone available that would firstly even entertain this job and secondly be any better than GA given the obvious constraints?

I genuinely feel for the guy and believe he's giving it everything he has. But the constant forced positivity interviews that are getting very repetitive are wearing thin. He's inherited a mess for sure but it still feels like a lot of the players aren't having him or possibly just aren't having the club any more.

Its tough. He clearly had players at Wycombe who bought in and was able to build a culture there, but as we know there's a few here with questionable levels of commitment to say the least. How on earth can he turn it around and if not him who else could do better with no money available?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:50 - Aug 7 with 3098 viewspaulparker

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:25 - Aug 7 by BAWHoops

We are sort of in our Man U Solskjaer era. The whole thing is management by vibes.
A decent QPR fan would be desperate for this to work. We have a Rangers hero in the dugout flanked by a QPR fan. It may be that the job is just beyond him, who knows.
He’s working with one arm tied behind his back though as these players have been absolutely atrocious for 18 months now. We can’t reset anything as there’s still so many infected players in the building.

Warburton did well because he jettisoned the entire team that McLaren built and had exciting youngsters in Eze, Bright and Manning who he could build around.
Ains has no such luxury.

If Ains goes then I can only see it being Darren Moore or Paul Furlong given the job until end of the season.
The whole club has been run so so badly it’s a disgrace. 3 years ago we sold a player for £20m and now have no money. It’s a complete dereliction of duty from all at board level.
The money wasted since Eze is preposterous. Chucked at players like Dozell, Balogan etc.

By far the most upsetting thing is the fact that our stint as a ‘development’ club has been a sham. If Joe Gubbins was the best the youth team could muster then heaven help us all. Lest we forget Masterson was in the building, being developed and doing Ok before Warbs and then Beale decided that Sanderson and Balogan were better options. Stuff like that is why we are in a mess and changing Ainsworth for someone else will do fck all.

Until the club is sold it will continue to slowly sink and blow money as it has done since 2011

Spot on
We can’t even lay a pitch in time for the first game of the season

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:55 - Aug 7 with 3068 viewsNorthernr

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:50 - Aug 7 by paulparker

Spot on
We can’t even lay a pitch in time for the first game of the season

I mean I guess you don't know until you walk on it and see it up close etc, but the contractors on that announced they'd handed it back to the club a good fortnight before the season started and it looks pretty bloody fine to me in all the videos and other pictures. Another cock up all round in any case.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:00 - Aug 7 with 3035 viewsThird_Division_South

I think the best way forward is to wait until the the DOF appointment is made. We’re told that this is a professional process being run by an outsourced company. When appointed, give this guy the time and the remit to oversee the whole football side. This would include all age group and development coaches and their setup. Also, the scouting, medical and recruitment side of things. He would then decide on the way the club should go forward. If we don’t set down a framework for the future and just keep sacking managers we’ll get nowhere. The only problem with this approach is if it’s done correctly and with diligence we may have to write off this season and our place in the Championship but without a root and branch reorganisation I can’t see any other way to get out of this mess.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:08 - Aug 7 with 2994 viewsActonExile

I'm not going to defend or have a pop at GA because this shambles is way above his pay grade.

I also believe that neither MW nor NC deserved the bullet but before we do raise question's about GA's future or replacement we need to identify someone who is a) better and b) mad enough to do the job.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:28 - Aug 7 with 2931 viewsQPRConor2000

For me Personally there are a few options

Gary O Neil
Chris Wilder
Darren Moore
Nathan Jones

Any of them four I could see us considering should we sack GA
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:39 - Aug 7 with 2882 viewspaulparker

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:28 - Aug 7 by QPRConor2000

For me Personally there are a few options

Gary O Neil
Chris Wilder
Darren Moore
Nathan Jones

Any of them four I could see us considering should we sack GA

Gary ONeils stock is high after Bournemouth never in a million years is he coming here
Nathan Jones is a complete no no
Chris Wilder stunk the place out at Boro & Watford
Darren Moore is no better than Ainsworth

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:43 - Aug 7 with 2880 viewsTheChef

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:00 - Aug 7 by Third_Division_South

I think the best way forward is to wait until the the DOF appointment is made. We’re told that this is a professional process being run by an outsourced company. When appointed, give this guy the time and the remit to oversee the whole football side. This would include all age group and development coaches and their setup. Also, the scouting, medical and recruitment side of things. He would then decide on the way the club should go forward. If we don’t set down a framework for the future and just keep sacking managers we’ll get nowhere. The only problem with this approach is if it’s done correctly and with diligence we may have to write off this season and our place in the Championship but without a root and branch reorganisation I can’t see any other way to get out of this mess.

I'm curious as to whether we are actually appointing a new DoF?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:51 - Aug 7 with 2824 viewsWatfordR

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:00 - Aug 7 by Third_Division_South

I'm tending to agree with this.

It's always been clear to me, having watched the dross being served upon GA last season, that he wasn't up to Championship level, and I wanted him gone at the end of last season.

However, he's still here, and it makes no sense to me to get rid of him now without a DoF in place. I'm hoping that we get a proper DoF (yeah yeah I know...) who will be allowed to get on and do the job, and I'm hoping that the DoF will have a say in appointing a new head coach fit for purpose.

It almost won't make any difference what sort of a position the club sit in the Championship by that stage IMO. The DoF needs to have a long term remit, and if it means we lose our place in the Championship this year, so be it.

The only chance we had of staying up this year was having a head coach in place who could bring the players with him, and who had something a little more aggressive and forward thinking in his approach. There is nothing about GA and his style of football that inspires me as a fan, and I suspect that's probably the case with the players. If we've got ten points by Christmas, I'll be astonished.
Login to get fewer ads

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 17:06 - Aug 7 with 2777 viewsParkRoyalR

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 09:00 - Aug 6 by gazza1

There is no doubt that Warbs is a far better Manager than GA. Warbs blew his chances here and he had to go - 100%. Big shame but you cannot behave like he did. No point is going on about Warbs.

What is becoming very clear is that GA is finding it tough and maybe not talented enough to manage a Championship side.

Gazza or anyone in the know - really genuine question - when you say Warbs blew his chances and you cannot behave like he did - what exactly did he do wrong?

I thought he made a few mistakes but generally he got far more signings right than he did wrong, with the wrong'uns being:

- Johansen: Made sense at the time, was arguably a partial success, down to injury?
- Bonne & Dozzell: Paid too much in fee + wages given ability + attitude (down to DoF?)
- Austin & Gray: Brought in as Dykes was never a goal-scorer and Bonne was not up to it

It was Austin & Gray who imo at the time brought the house down, as both were coming to the end of very lucrative careers and demonstrated varying degrees of not giving a fxxk, which must have caused Warbs no end of grief and became a distraction in that much lamented run-in where he could'nt pick either of them.

The former led to Warbs losing face with the players when he was'nt disciplined for lack of fitness and Ellerslie Road farce, the latter brought a falling-out with our DoF due to covid / xmas unavailability, especially given selected for Paul Hall's Jamaica squad (which seems with hindsight a snide move by Paul Hall given the Jamaica game was not an unimportant fixture iirc).

Always thought the lack of basic management ability top to bottom in our club (pitch relay, ticketing website, barbet's contract etc) needed someone like Warbs to raise the standards across the board, which is why I was so fearful when his contract was'nt extended as I really feared leaving the lunatics in charge of the asylum.

If not Warbs, its looking like Ainsworth needs to be replaced as the set-up on Saturday was just suicidal and could have let to an opening day shellacking to break all records.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 10:55 - Aug 8 with 2337 viewsSimplyNico

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66176946

Toss of a coin as to whether it makes a difference.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:11 - Aug 8 with 2289 viewsdmm

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:38 - Aug 7 by QPRConor2000

That would be my choice to replace Ainsworth.

Mine too but Wolves are looking at O'Neil as a replacement for Lopetegui.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:12 - Aug 8 with 2282 viewsozexile

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:43 - Aug 7 by TheChef

Same. If we do it would be helpful to actually get a job description to see what they are accountable for.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 12:51 - Aug 8 with 2159 viewsNov77

Off the chart, literally…

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 13:00 - Aug 8 with 2103 viewsHunterhoop

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 17:06 - Aug 7 by ParkRoyalR

Gazza or anyone in the know - really genuine question - when you say Warbs blew his chances and you cannot behave like he did - what exactly did he do wrong?

I thought he made a few mistakes but generally he got far more signings right than he did wrong, with the wrong'uns being:

- Johansen: Made sense at the time, was arguably a partial success, down to injury?
- Bonne & Dozzell: Paid too much in fee + wages given ability + attitude (down to DoF?)
- Austin & Gray: Brought in as Dykes was never a goal-scorer and Bonne was not up to it

It was Austin & Gray who imo at the time brought the house down, as both were coming to the end of very lucrative careers and demonstrated varying degrees of not giving a fxxk, which must have caused Warbs no end of grief and became a distraction in that much lamented run-in where he could'nt pick either of them.

The former led to Warbs losing face with the players when he was'nt disciplined for lack of fitness and Ellerslie Road farce, the latter brought a falling-out with our DoF due to covid / xmas unavailability, especially given selected for Paul Hall's Jamaica squad (which seems with hindsight a snide move by Paul Hall given the Jamaica game was not an unimportant fixture iirc).

Always thought the lack of basic management ability top to bottom in our club (pitch relay, ticketing website, barbet's contract etc) needed someone like Warbs to raise the standards across the board, which is why I was so fearful when his contract was'nt extended as I really feared leaving the lunatics in charge of the asylum.

If not Warbs, its looking like Ainsworth needs to be replaced as the set-up on Saturday was just suicidal and could have let to an opening day shellacking to break all records.

Two things:

1) that Gray Covid test incident was on Warburton. Rather than discipline him, he defended the player and dug his heels in. Didn’t go down well with some of the squad. Warburton went completely against Ferdinand, and, as a result, we didn’t bring in Wells or Gayle in Jan instead of Gray (who Ferdinand wanted to send back for gross misconduct, which it was)

2) Warburton asked for the budget/money the summer before his last season to sign who he wanted. In return he agreed to a target of top 6. He made his bed. He didn’t achieve a target he signed up to. The Board shouldn’t have given him the budget but he might have walked and imagine how that would have gone down…He was backed and came up short.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 13:08 - Aug 8 with 2074 viewsHayesender

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 13:00 - Aug 8 by Hunterhoop

Two things:

1) that Gray Covid test incident was on Warburton. Rather than discipline him, he defended the player and dug his heels in. Didn’t go down well with some of the squad. Warburton went completely against Ferdinand, and, as a result, we didn’t bring in Wells or Gayle in Jan instead of Gray (who Ferdinand wanted to send back for gross misconduct, which it was)

2) Warburton asked for the budget/money the summer before his last season to sign who he wanted. In return he agreed to a target of top 6. He made his bed. He didn’t achieve a target he signed up to. The Board shouldn’t have given him the budget but he might have walked and imagine how that would have gone down…He was backed and came up short.

What was the covid test incident?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:15 - Aug 8 with 1925 viewsLblock

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 16:43 - Aug 7 by TheChef

What you mean actually spending money?

No chance.

They want out and the purse strings have been cut.
Absolute number one priority from the moment the FT whistle went at Burnley (and I’d argue long before that) all focus should’ve been on getting qualified people in to oversee the whole footballing side. Blow the budget on these chiefs if needs be but they needed to be qualified, experienced and well connected in the game……. For me I would have circumnavigated FFP by giving them titles such as youth development etc which I believe is outside of spend calculations.
By far and away the most critical appointments should have been a DoF and other head honchos with the failing coaches and analytics guys all replaced under a knight of long knives. When it didn’t happen I was surprised and suspicious; the fact it hasn’t happened and shows no signs of happening speaks volumes to me.

Poor old Ruben has been left holding a bucket of turd but it’s a bucket he was complicit in schitting in. He then lost his Dad so far more pressing concerns for his time.
He’s the last man standing and my feeling is he’d drop the place tomorrow if he could but is stopping the outflow of money as much as possible before he can cut his considerable losses and run.

QPR2023 AFC sounds like fun doesn’t it?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:23 - Aug 8 with 1894 viewsParkRoyalR

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 13:00 - Aug 8 by Hunterhoop

Two things:

Fair enough, agree with first point but not second as top 6 was a big ask with our squad at the time,

I agree Warburton should have disciplined Gray, but similarly should have thrown the book at Austin over Ellerslie Road caper and did'nt, so I'm thinking Warburton knew he was reliant on these two for goals and swallowed his pride for the good of the team and club.

I thought very early on these two would derail his reign and the fortunes of our club and still believe those two are a key point in our demise and where we are today.

He was backed, not massively, and maybe came up short, but if you have a medium / long term plan you can take a view rather than sacking a Manager who has considerably improved your clubs outlook and reputation.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:30 - Aug 8 with 1847 viewsHayesender

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:15 - Aug 8 by Lblock

No chance.

Absolute number one priority from the moment the FT whistle went at Burnley (and I’d argue long before that) all focus should’ve been on getting qualified people in to oversee the whole footballing side. Blow the budget on these chiefs if needs be but they needed to be qualified, experienced and well connected in the game……. For me I would have circumnavigated FFP by giving them titles such as youth development etc which I believe is outside of spend calculations.
By far and away the most critical appointments should have been a DoF and other head honchos with the failing coaches and analytics guys all replaced under a knight of long knives. When it didn’t happen I was surprised and suspicious; the fact it hasn’t happened and shows no signs of happening speaks volumes to me.

Poor old Ruben has been left holding a bucket of turd but it’s a bucket he was complicit in schitting in. He then lost his Dad so far more pressing concerns for his time.
He’s the last man standing and my feeling is he’d drop the place tomorrow if he could but is stopping the outflow of money as much as possible before he can cut his considerable losses and run.

These last few years, I've often wondered about an AFC QPR type of scenario.

Where would we play, what would be be badge design, who would actually run the club, and who would decide who would run the club.

I then look at message boards, social media etc, and we seem to have such a fragmented fan base that I don't think it would ever get off the ground.

The infighting would be so bad, we'd probably end up with three or four different clubs swinging their dicks about

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:33 - Aug 8 with 1812 viewsMedwayR

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:23 - Aug 8 by ParkRoyalR

Fair enough, agree with first point but not second as top 6 was a big ask with our squad at the time,

I agree Warburton should have disciplined Gray, but similarly should have thrown the book at Austin over Ellerslie Road caper and did'nt, so I'm thinking Warburton knew he was reliant on these two for goals and swallowed his pride for the good of the team and club.

I thought very early on these two would derail his reign and the fortunes of our club and still believe those two are a key point in our demise and where we are today.

He was backed, not massively, and maybe came up short, but if you have a medium / long term plan you can take a view rather than sacking a Manager who has considerably improved your clubs outlook and reputation.

This is pure speculation on my part adding 2+2 but I think the other nail in Warburton's coffin was that in line with our buy low, sell high development approach we seemingly had a deal set up for Scott Twine on a free but Warburton probably vetoed it to use the funds on 'proven' targets to achieve top 6 instead. Come the end of the season, when we'd missed out on top 6, Scott Twine was being sold for £5m. If I'm right, I imagine that wouldn't have gone down well.

Poll: Who’s better?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:42 - Aug 8 with 1757 viewsHunterhoop

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:23 - Aug 8 by ParkRoyalR

The point was we had two other strikers lined up to come in Jan. He refused to sign them over retaining Gray and pushed for Hendrick instead. He wasn’t defending Gray because he relied on his goals, he was doing so because Gray is “his” man.

And it’s not about agreeing or disagreeing on point 2. It’s not my opinion. Warburton signed up to a top 6 finish as a target. The budget was contingent on that being the target. It was granted. He fell short. Whether it was a fair target is another matter, both he agreed to it. Both he and Ferdinand have referenced that target at different times.

And none of this means Warburton wouldn’t have done a lot better than the 3 managers last season and Ainsworth will this year. But it’s fair context to flag. He wasn’t perfect and had flaws too. I doubt he’d have stayed with this season’s financial restrictions either. Beale certainly wouldn’t have done.

Back on topic, it’s one of the main reasons there are very few realistic alternatives to Ainsworth. Whether we like it or now, whether we think it’s disgraceful we’re in this position, whether it’s fair how FFP screws us whilst others ignore it, we are where we are, and with today’s budget, very few managers will go near us this season. Next season it might be a little different.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:58 - Aug 8 with 1707 viewsThe_Beast1976

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:15 - Aug 8 by Lblock

No chance.

"He’s the last man standing and my feeling is he’d drop the place tomorrow if he could but is stopping the outflow of money as much as possible before he can cut his considerable losses and run"

I think this is precisely what is happening now. He's had enough.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:02 - Aug 8 with 1678 viewsLblock

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:30 - Aug 8 by Hayesender

These last few years, I've often wondered about an AFC QPR type of scenario.

Where would we play, what would be be badge design, who would actually run the club, and who would decide who would run the club.

I then look at message boards, social media etc, and we seem to have such a fragmented fan base that I don't think it would ever get off the ground.

The infighting would be so bad, we'd probably end up with three or four different clubs swinging their dicks about

You know what? I reckon you’re spot on there mate.

However sometimes absolute adversity can spawn complete togetherness.
Look at ourselves with our period of Admin.
I’ve never felt closer to the club as I did back then with Ollie the First rebuilding the club from nothing and a real them and us atmosphere. Even then we had the spectre of Paladini hanging around like a bad smell.
You also only have to look at other clubs who find real gumption in the face of points deductions, non payment of wages etc……. knowing us though we’d simply fade away

Never boring following this lot but by Christ it’s draining even from afar

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:05 - Aug 8 with 1648 viewsParkRoyalR

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 14:42 - Aug 8 by Hunterhoop

The point was we had two other strikers lined up to come in Jan. He refused to sign them over retaining Gray and pushed for Hendrick instead. He wasn’t defending Gray because he relied on his goals, he was doing so because Gray is “his” man.

And it’s not about agreeing or disagreeing on point 2. It’s not my opinion. Warburton signed up to a top 6 finish as a target. The budget was contingent on that being the target. It was granted. He fell short. Whether it was a fair target is another matter, both he agreed to it. Both he and Ferdinand have referenced that target at different times.

And none of this means Warburton wouldn’t have done a lot better than the 3 managers last season and Ainsworth will this year. But it’s fair context to flag. He wasn’t perfect and had flaws too. I doubt he’d have stayed with this season’s financial restrictions either. Beale certainly wouldn’t have done.

Back on topic, it’s one of the main reasons there are very few realistic alternatives to Ainsworth. Whether we like it or now, whether we think it’s disgraceful we’re in this position, whether it’s fair how FFP screws us whilst others ignore it, we are where we are, and with today’s budget, very few managers will go near us this season. Next season it might be a little different.

I can't comment on some of the points you raise as I'm not in the know, but do agree Gray was his man and he mis-judged how his professionalism would be effected with his change in circumstances since he last managed him (4 year multi-million contract later, plus marrying a pop-star probably dims the desire he may have once had)

Back on topic, the reason some normally reserved posters have gone so hard after Saturday is I don't think a single fan who knows our team would have gone with 2 upfront against Watford, a 4 in midfield including Dozzell & Smyth and exposing a back 4 including Kakay & Gubbins against that Watford attack.

On every level too many mis-judgements have been made and if he does'nt turn things round quickly, I'd actually put Ramsey back in the hot-seat as think he's played it smart hiding in the Academy on a very lucrative contract for some time now, plus I thought he did ok given the resources he had when he stepped up to 1st Team Manager before.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:10 - Aug 8 with 1612 viewsLblock

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:05 - Aug 8 by ParkRoyalR

I can't comment on some of the points you raise as I'm not in the know, but do agree Gray was his man and he mis-judged how his professionalism would be effected with his change in circumstances since he last managed him (4 year multi-million contract later, plus marrying a pop-star probably dims the desire he may have once had)

Back on topic, the reason some normally reserved posters have gone so hard after Saturday is I don't think a single fan who knows our team would have gone with 2 upfront against Watford, a 4 in midfield including Dozzell & Smyth and exposing a back 4 including Kakay & Gubbins against that Watford attack.

On every level too many mis-judgements have been made and if he does'nt turn things round quickly, I'd actually put Ramsey back in the hot-seat as think he's played it smart hiding in the Academy on a very lucrative contract for some time now, plus I thought he did ok given the resources he had when he stepped up to 1st Team Manager before.

You see? You won’t be told will you?
Lunchtime drinking is a VERY bad habit and you need to stop.

Ramsey back in the hot seat?

Jesus H Christ on a three wheeled bike.
No! Just fcukin NO!

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:16 - Aug 8 with 1551 viewsEsox_Lucius

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 11:12 - Aug 8 by ozexile

Same. If we do it would be helpful to actually get a job description to see what they are accountable for.

You're joking right? it's this sort of stupidity that epitomises the level of knowledge of the fan base.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024