Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another Old Venue Closing 17:00 - Jan 5 with 1237 viewsUTS1885

The Onslow will probably be sold for flats

There are thousands of students overunning southampton and yet the nightlife is dead on its knees.
Another Old Venue Closing on 17:37 - Jan 5 with 1190 viewsSouthamptonfan

I know the need for housing is through the roof, but I am fed up of the traffic, the roads can't cope and then they keep closing them for f@cking roadworks, can't get a doctor's appointment, dentist (I've forgotten what one is), the facilities for all these people just aren't up to scratch. Closing pubs and local shops etc is a massive shame and our country is unrecognisable for many reasons.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Another Old Venue Closing on 18:58 - Jan 5 with 1110 viewskingslandstand1

Another Old Venue Closing on 17:37 - Jan 5 by Southamptonfan

I know the need for housing is through the roof, but I am fed up of the traffic, the roads can't cope and then they keep closing them for f@cking roadworks, can't get a doctor's appointment, dentist (I've forgotten what one is), the facilities for all these people just aren't up to scratch. Closing pubs and local shops etc is a massive shame and our country is unrecognisable for many reasons.

Was talking last night about the new "Bargate Centre" or whatever it was going to be called where work has now been stopped for a few months due to the contractor going t1ts up.

Can now only see that being a complete white elephant and eyesore right smack in the middle of town as what developer would take that on board in current high street calamities?

It was to be shops and restaurants I'd guess but who would sign up to that now?
Another Old Venue Closing on 21:26 - Jan 5 with 1014 viewsdirk_doone

Another Old Venue Closing on 17:37 - Jan 5 by Southamptonfan

One of the big reasons for the decline in the NHS is Brexit. I guess we should have expected that when Boris told us that Brexit was going to be good for it.

There is free or heavily subsidised education for training doctors and dentists in several EU countries such as Germany, Poland the Netherlands and Denmark, which not only created a surplus in those countries, leading many to take jobs in the UK, but also offered free training for British medical students.

There was a supply of dentists from Eastern European EU countries, especially, and many of our physios and vets came from Europe. Nowadays, not many British students or their familes can afford the years of training required for a career in medicine.

Once they lost their reciprocal pension rights etc, the EU medical staff left. That's why the NHS is now recruiting from Nigeria and Pakistan in an attempt to plug the gaps. I guess our government figure it is cheaper to do that than offer free medical education in this country. You may also have noticed that many prescription medicines that came from EU countries are being replaced by products produced by Indian companies, again because they are cheaper if not as reliable.

On the plus side, Brexit isn't to blame for the Onslow closing, although the increasing poverty it has brought may be a factor.
[Post edited 6 Jan 0:08]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Another Old Venue Closing on 21:53 - Jan 5 with 950 viewsSouthamptonfan

Another Old Venue Closing on 21:26 - Jan 5 by dirk_doone

One of the big reasons for the decline in the NHS is Brexit. I guess we should have expected that when Boris told us that Brexit was going to be good for it.

There is free or heavily subsidised education for training doctors and dentists in several EU countries such as Germany, Poland the Netherlands and Denmark, which not only created a surplus in those countries, leading many to take jobs in the UK, but also offered free training for British medical students.

There was a supply of dentists from Eastern European EU countries, especially, and many of our physios and vets came from Europe. Nowadays, not many British students or their familes can afford the years of training required for a career in medicine.

Once they lost their reciprocal pension rights etc, the EU medical staff left. That's why the NHS is now recruiting from Nigeria and Pakistan in an attempt to plug the gaps. I guess our government figure it is cheaper to do that than offer free medical education in this country. You may also have noticed that many prescription medicines that came from EU countries are being replaced by products produced by Indian companies, again because they are cheaper if not as reliable.

On the plus side, Brexit isn't to blame for the Onslow closing, although the increasing poverty it has brought may be a factor.
[Post edited 6 Jan 0:08]

The problems were there well before Brexit. Brexit was a protest vote for various reasons. It wasn't just rich, countryside constituents who voted for Brexit. Many very poor people and some of the poorest areas voted to leave the EU. And why wouldn't you, when you are down and out? What did the EU do for them? And no being out of the EU hasn't helped them either, but for some not following Cameron's instructions was their goal. This country has lost its soul, and lost it way before Brexit. The NHS is a wonderful thing, but has been underfunded for years but COVID cost us 400 billion, ironically, in order to protect the NHS, but just think what that amount could have done for our NHS. If COVID hadn't happened and Brexit did, we would have £400 billion to spend.
[Post edited 5 Jan 21:55]

Another Old Venue Closing on 22:15 - Jan 5 with 924 viewsdirk_doone

Another Old Venue Closing on 21:53 - Jan 5 by Southamptonfan

The problems were there well before Brexit. Brexit was a protest vote for various reasons. It wasn't just rich, countryside constituents who voted for Brexit. Many very poor people and some of the poorest areas voted to leave the EU. And why wouldn't you, when you are down and out? What did the EU do for them? And no being out of the EU hasn't helped them either, but for some not following Cameron's instructions was their goal. This country has lost its soul, and lost it way before Brexit. The NHS is a wonderful thing, but has been underfunded for years but COVID cost us 400 billion, ironically, in order to protect the NHS, but just think what that amount could have done for our NHS. If COVID hadn't happened and Brexit did, we would have £400 billion to spend.
[Post edited 5 Jan 21:55]

I understand why people voted for Brexit but what people have got is the opposite of what they hoped for; the big increase in illegal immigration being another example. An illegal immigrant explained this very well on the news recently. If he applied for asylum in an EU country, like France, he would be returned to the the first EU country he arrived in, which being in Eastern Europe would then just push him over the border out of the EU. Because the UK isn't in the EU, this wouldn't happen.
[Post edited 5 Jan 22:23]

Another Old Venue Closing on 22:34 - Jan 5 with 896 viewsSouthamptonfan

Another Old Venue Closing on 22:15 - Jan 5 by dirk_doone

I understand why people voted for Brexit but what people have got is the opposite of what they hoped for; the big increase in illegal immigration being another example. An illegal immigrant explained this very well on the news recently. If he applied for asylum in an EU country, like France, he would be returned to the the first EU country he arrived in, which being in Eastern Europe would then just push him over the border out of the EU. Because the UK isn't in the EU, this wouldn't happen.
[Post edited 5 Jan 22:23]

The thing is, the last few years have been chaos. COVID was massive and we spent a ridiculous amount, then the wars. Brexit hasn't achieved what it set out to do, but again it hasn't been implemented properly. Everything is tied up in paper work, courts, bureaucracy, human rights and the rest. In all walks of life, everything is just going round in circles.

Whilst I have a bit of hope, I have little faith in an incoming Labour government. I don't have a clue what they stand for in terms of immigration, housing (other than more of the same building), traffic chaos, whether 25 year old rookies should be running our prisons, keeping our pubs open and getting me a dentist! I don't care who is married to who or how I must call a man in a a dress they or them. But that's what we hear every day.

The last Labour government spent huge amounts on illegal wars, an influx of immigrants, the benefits system was out of control. And then we had the Lib Dem / Conservative pact, all the lies that went with it and then ofcourse 13 years of the Tories. The 90's was a great decade in my opinion. From about 2000 onwards this country has gone to the dogs. I don't have any faith in any of them. They are all liars, playing games and ticking political boxes. I will exercise my right to vote for whoever I want to. The only box I will be crossing is the Raving looneys.
[Post edited 5 Jan 22:42]

Another Old Venue Closing on 22:56 - Jan 5 with 873 viewsdirk_doone

Another Old Venue Closing on 22:34 - Jan 5 by Southamptonfan

The thing is, the last few years have been chaos. COVID was massive and we spent a ridiculous amount, then the wars. Brexit hasn't achieved what it set out to do, but again it hasn't been implemented properly. Everything is tied up in paper work, courts, bureaucracy, human rights and the rest. In all walks of life, everything is just going round in circles.

Whilst I have a bit of hope, I have little faith in an incoming Labour government. I don't have a clue what they stand for in terms of immigration, housing (other than more of the same building), traffic chaos, whether 25 year old rookies should be running our prisons, keeping our pubs open and getting me a dentist! I don't care who is married to who or how I must call a man in a a dress they or them. But that's what we hear every day.

The last Labour government spent huge amounts on illegal wars, an influx of immigrants, the benefits system was out of control. And then we had the Lib Dem / Conservative pact, all the lies that went with it and then ofcourse 13 years of the Tories. The 90's was a great decade in my opinion. From about 2000 onwards this country has gone to the dogs. I don't have any faith in any of them. They are all liars, playing games and ticking political boxes. I will exercise my right to vote for whoever I want to. The only box I will be crossing is the Raving looneys.
[Post edited 5 Jan 22:42]

I agree that it's difficult to place a lot of faith in any of our current batch of politicians, whatever their party.

Internal bickering and jealousy within the parties means that the best people don't rise to the top. Potentially good leaders like Rory Stewart and David Miliband were stopped by their own parties.

Another Old Venue Closing on 23:08 - Jan 5 with 856 viewsSouthamptonfan

Another Old Venue Closing on 22:56 - Jan 5 by dirk_doone

I agree that it's difficult to place a lot of faith in any of our current batch of politicians, whatever their party.

Internal bickering and jealousy within the parties means that the best people don't rise to the top. Potentially good leaders like Rory Stewart and David Miliband were stopped by their own parties.

Definitely been some good leaders that never got the chance to get to the top. But like anything nowadays, it's all about who says the right things, ticks the boxes, doesn't offend and the rest of it.

Login to get fewer ads

Another Old Venue Closing on 12:54 - Jan 6 with 623 viewsHeisenberg

You have to ask who has been in power for 14 years and presided over chaos. 5 PMs. One lasting 45 days alongside Johnson and his lies has been a disaster.

As for venues and pubs closing. A national tragedy. All we will be left with will be the corporate entities and pub chains. Of course the present lot in charge actually like this. They would be happy if we all lived in a Wetherspoons world. They couldn’t give a shite as long as it makes a profit.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024