Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading down the table without Flynn 08:31 - Feb 16 with 1149 viewsJellybaby

Flynn Downes goes off injured against Huddersfield after half an hour. We then concede 6 goals in 150 minutes.

There have been a lot of strong performances this season from players like KWP, JB and THB but surely a fully fit Downes is our most influential player, when he got taken off against Swansea away we nearly capitulated after dominating completely beforehand. With Downes automatic promotion, without Downes - play offs.

Does anyone more “anoraky” than me have stats to back up how influential Downes is?

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Heading down the table without Flynn on 08:37 - Feb 16 with 1127 viewsPatfromPoole

I don’t need stats to tell me that you are right.

Shea Charles was an extremely expensive acquisition given our lack of funds, and he doesn’t look in the same league.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Heading down the table without Flynn on 09:43 - Feb 16 with 1043 viewsIanSouthstander

Without Flynn Downes our midfield is incredibly weak.

They can all pass the ball around all day long until the cows come home , which is great , if we're hanging on to a lead.... But how many of them can win a tackle ?
[Post edited 16 Feb 9:44]
Heading down the table without Flynn on 10:51 - Feb 16 with 981 viewsShirtNumbers

The only two players Martin has used in that role have been Charles and Smallbone.

They can't really win the ball nor can they actually get it moving in the same way as Downes, particularly Charles. He's been giving the ball away in every appearance he's made for the past few months and a performance like what he had against Bristol City was bound to come. Complete liability.

I would go as far to argue that Martin's whole system begins to collapse without Downes. Your are absolutely right - he is one of, if not our most influential player.
Heading down the table without Flynn on 11:03 - Feb 16 with 972 viewsSalisburySaint

Heading down the table without Flynn on 10:51 - Feb 16 by ShirtNumbers

The only two players Martin has used in that role have been Charles and Smallbone.

They can't really win the ball nor can they actually get it moving in the same way as Downes, particularly Charles. He's been giving the ball away in every appearance he's made for the past few months and a performance like what he had against Bristol City was bound to come. Complete liability.

I would go as far to argue that Martin's whole system begins to collapse without Downes. Your are absolutely right - he is one of, if not our most influential player.

Might be worth trying Stephens in that role
Heading down the table without Flynn on 11:44 - Feb 16 with 924 viewsShirtNumbers

Heading down the table without Flynn on 11:03 - Feb 16 by SalisburySaint

Might be worth trying Stephens in that role

Perhaps he might be able to win the ball back, but Stephens in that role would not help us keep the ball.

With all due respect, I've always thought he was far too casual on the ball. Often cost us for a good few seasons by losing concentration.

Really, if we had £10 - 15 million to spend on a defensive midfielder (according to The Athletic) then we should have just bought someone better than Charles
[Post edited 16 Feb 11:51]
Heading down the table without Flynn on 12:23 - Feb 16 with 874 viewsfelly1

Heading down the table without Flynn on 11:44 - Feb 16 by ShirtNumbers

Perhaps he might be able to win the ball back, but Stephens in that role would not help us keep the ball.

With all due respect, I've always thought he was far too casual on the ball. Often cost us for a good few seasons by losing concentration.

Really, if we had £10 - 15 million to spend on a defensive midfielder (according to The Athletic) then we should have just bought someone better than Charles
[Post edited 16 Feb 11:51]

Charles was an expensive gamble In my opinion.
He may well come good but for me he should be learning his trade at a midtable Championship club and playing regularly to gain the experience he clearly lacks.
We can't afford this type of player in our position.
We need oven ready top performers.
Heading down the table without Flynn on 14:48 - Feb 16 with 731 viewssaint22

Heading down the table without Flynn on 09:43 - Feb 16 by IanSouthstander

Without Flynn Downes our midfield is incredibly weak.

They can all pass the ball around all day long until the cows come home , which is great , if we're hanging on to a lead.... But how many of them can win a tackle ?
[Post edited 16 Feb 9:44]

Bang on
We never replaced Romeu which was a huge error
Downes is a great player but we need one or arguably two more like him
Charles is weak and offers v little so far
Heading down the table without Flynn on 14:59 - Feb 16 with 719 viewsTimSaint

.....and Rothwell seems to be carrying a bit of excess timber and lacks a bit of fitness / willingness to track back. Strange when you consider he is from Bournemouth, who are usually a team full of 'runners'.

Anyone seen any team news for tonight ? It all seemed a bit vague.
Downes and Adams could be back, as was hinted before the Bristol game, but maybe it is a little too soon and we'll see them on Tuesday.

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024