Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton V Sunderland The Verdict 09:35 - Mar 10 with 739 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/62114/southampton-v-sund

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton V Sunderland The Verdict on 10:32 - Mar 10 with 621 viewssaint22

Spot on article

A good team is built on a solid defence and I think the issues we have back there speak volumes about RM and his managerial nous or lack of
Disrupting a solid Cb pairing that was the basis of our unbeaten run is foolish yet he keeps doing it
Plus wasn't RM a CB how can he not see that
Unfortunately his naivety has cost us dearly and may result in another season at this level
Southampton V Sunderland The Verdict on 10:45 - Mar 10 with 612 viewsIfonly

For once I pretty much agree with everything you say here Nick!

2 things I'd add:

- Rothwell has been a really useful addition and I wouldn't downplay his 2 finishes yesterday. Not his most spectacular but really calm and positive finishes where we have seen many others in Saints shirt snatch at similar opportunities and miss.

- Looking at the highlights, AA's penalty should have been disallowed. It came off his left foot as he slipped. If that hadn't happened, the keeper might well have saved it. If you look at the keeper afterwards he's immediately complaining because he knows what happened. VAR would probably have disallowed it.
Southampton V Sunderland The Verdict on 12:58 - Mar 10 with 489 viewsSouthamptonfan

Spot on verdict. Stephens is ok at this level, I think. He works hard, but as you allude to, the tactics need honing. The passing around our 6 yard box when Sunderland were pressing high full of energy looking for an equaliser and taking risks, was suicidal. Just put the ball long into the channels, when they are pressing so high. It is clear that the players are under instruction to pass from the back, no matter what. Having said that, didn't our 3rd and 4th goals come from passing out from the back? When KWP is back, surely we will go back to a settled defence?

Positives, I thought Adams was excellent at leading the line yesterday. I also thought Smallbone was decent and Bednerak was great. Rothwell, what a shot he has on him. He doesn't f@ck about. Negatives, Bazunu has gone back to not saving anything and we just arn't smart. Whatever the manager says, someone just take responsibility "Sorry boss, I went long today, as I couldn't find find a way to pass out from the back without conceding, when they pressed so high". But anyway, it's game on and we can make the top two still.
[Post edited 10 Mar 13:22]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Southampton V Sunderland The Verdict on 12:58 - Mar 10 with 489 viewskingslandstand1

Southampton V Sunderland The Verdict on 10:32 - Mar 10 by saint22

Spot on article

A good team is built on a solid defence and I think the issues we have back there speak volumes about RM and his managerial nous or lack of
Disrupting a solid Cb pairing that was the basis of our unbeaten run is foolish yet he keeps doing it
Unfortunately his naivety has cost us dearly and may result in another season at this level

Was he a very good CB? I can't remember much about him only that he payed primarily for Norwich. Also, was he a "number 1" CB as most decent partnerships have a leader, but more importantly have a decent understanding between themselves by playing together! And RM should at least know that
Southampton V Sunderland The Verdict on 13:55 - Mar 10 with 426 viewsfelly1

Southampton V Sunderland The Verdict on 10:32 - Mar 10 by saint22

Spot on article

Although I agree that Bedders, THB is our best pairing.
The tinkering has not cost us.
Stephens has only featured in 1 defeat from our 7 league defeats this season.
The facts don't align with people's perception.
4 defeats on the bounce came straight after Stephens was injured after our unbeaten start and Holgate came in and was calamitous.
Downes was only just finding his feet and looked poor too.
The 3 recent defeats, 2 of them were with our favoured line up... But Downes was injured for this period.
The key is a solid, decent and reliable CDM.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024