Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Retiring . Who’s think about it? 09:09 - Mar 18 with 1375 viewsonehunglow

Reading Winston’s post regarding Lamphey ,it makes me refk3ct on what exactly is the catalyst to go the whole hog and pack it in.
It’s about money mainly .
After our circumstances changed ten years ago, I looked at what we had and ,though self employed at the time and doing ok,I packed it in there and then and sold every stick/ share and investment trust I had with a view to simply enjoying what time we had left .
Thankfully, we are both still here but many contemplating those circumstances are not. Time .

It’s also about where .In my 40 s I thought Nerja Spain would be nice and then rural France as a great chum of mine ,now sadly departed ,was an Immobiler in the Limousin. We came very close to buying a run down small holding but looking around,realised the great void and nothingness of a life well away from other people and resources was not really attractive .
It’s proven to be a good decision as nothing beats grandchildren interaction. I’m teaching my eldest the piano and giving her music theory homework. Have to say it’s hard to stay dry eyed as they look at you for guidance .

Man makes plans and God laughs

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 09:24 - Mar 18 with 1361 viewsjohnlangy

I do struggle with a lot of what you post ohl but that's just briliant.

Grandchildren - it's hard to explain to anyone who doesn't have them.
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 09:48 - Mar 18 with 1332 viewsonehunglow

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 09:24 - Mar 18 by johnlangy

I struggled with myself .
Yiu any idea of what living with me is like
I just say it as I see it.
It’s not always easy to take .

I will add this.

I am not wealthy in my eyes but we are comfortable enough and onky because we never stretched ourselves financially . That means buying a modest house which yiu can afford to run if things go Pete tong ,as they do. Pointless impressing everyone if you have nowt behind you. The rew@rds pay off later in life . My police pension is only a 21 yr one and state pension is crap but it really is a case of being able to live well within modest means ,which was my advice to Winston.

I asked @ financial advisor how much I would need to retire in some comfort. He said, “ you never ever have enough money “

Retirement plans can end immediately after getting the present nobody wants .

Do it Winnie

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 10:02 - Mar 18 with 1323 viewsWhiterockin

My thoughts as I am now retired.

Go when you are ready and not before, you will know in your own mind. Its hard to turn the clock back.

If you can possibly afford it go to two or three days a week for a couple of years, if necessary in a totally different work environment, ease yourself in. Don't just retire and think I will get a part time job driving the prescription van, everybody wants to that and you will need to be very lucky.

Plan what you are going to do in retirement. That list of jobs will soon be done and there is life after, do not end up stagnating and watching daytime TV.

Planning to help out with grandchildren, that's not 24 7 retirement is. Don't let it rule your life.

Keep active, join a gym or similar they are packed with retired people in the mornings. You will meet people and make new friends.

Differentiate what you do in the week and on the weekend otherwise every day will be the same and you will not know what day it is, believe me I have friends like this.
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 10:08 - Mar 18 with 1318 viewsonehunglow

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 10:02 - Mar 18 by Whiterockin

Go when you are ready and not before, you will know in your own mind. Its hard to turn the clock back.

If you can possibly afford it go to two or three days a week for a couple of years, if necessary in a totally different work environment, ease yourself in. Don't just retire and think I will get a part time job driving the prescription van, everybody wants to that and you will need to be very lucky.

Plan what you are going to do in retirement. That list of jobs will soon be done and there is life after, do not end up stagnating and watching daytime TV.

Planning to help out with grandchildren, that's not 24 7 retirement is. Don't let it rule your life.

Keep active, join a gym or similar they are packed with retired people in the mornings. You will meet people and make new friends.

Differentiate what you do in the week and on the weekend otherwise every day will be the same and you will not know what day it is, believe me I have friends like this.

Indeed.
I never watch daytime tv apart from lunchtime news
As I say, every day counts and there is no guarantee you will make the next hour let alone the next day,month or year
Anyway,me old chum,off to our gloriously decaying sea front with now fully restored to health black Lab.Coffee and cake overlooking Prestatyn and beyond

Tidy ,mun

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 11:17 - Mar 18 with 1278 viewsKeithHaynes

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 09:24 - Mar 18 by johnlangy

I’ve got bloody seven !

It’s a weird old feeling and a strange one at that.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 11:35 - Mar 18 with 1262 viewsTogg

I'm in my early sixties. Wife in her late fifties. We have no children through choice and already planning ahead. It's going to be Southern Spain . Interesting you said Nerja OHL. It would be our first choice but property is expensive and the town has now grown and become very busy. Still a beautiful place but no longer a little secret it once was.
We are active people and enjoy raquet sports.We love being outdoors and I've really found this winter with the continuous rain just depressing. Also the cost of living in the UK has become a total rip off. Everything is just so expensive.
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 12:15 - Mar 18 with 1237 viewsDr_Winston

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 10:02 - Mar 18 by Whiterockin

As things stand (although subject to change, pensions being as they are) my current plan is to take my occupational pension at 55. It'll be lower than if I worked until 60, but I'm prepared to accept that.

I'll then find myself a nice seasonal job if I can, work full time from March until September whilst my pension builds up in a savings account and then live off it whilst I take Winters off. I quite like the idea of not having to get out of bed on a cold, wet December morning to go to work, or being able to just bugger off to Spain for January.

One of the senior bosses with us did something similar a few years ago and now drives the Mumbles Train during the Summer. Another one is a casual postman in Fishguard.
[Post edited 18 Mar 12:34]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 12:28 - Mar 18 with 1225 viewsBoundy

I finished working last year , not by choice to be honest as I felt I could keep going at 67 not just for the money but because I still enjoyed the work, but due to circumstances I had to finish , now I realise that retirement is great , and its true how the hell did I manage to work and do the other things which needed doing. I was lucky that we had our grandkid's relatively young so even now except for the odd occasion, baby sitting has now all but finished for us and when they do stay they tend to look after themselves anyway. Basically my time is now my own so with the grandkids sports ,my dogs , garden an old car I fill my days quite comfortably. Obviously for anyone considering retirement money has to be a priority, pointless living in poverty but I appreciate for a lot of folk that's their lot which is disgraceful for country as wealthy as ours

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Login to get fewer ads

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 16:17 - Mar 18 with 1118 viewsSullutaCreturned

I've thought about it. After my sister died last August I statred to think, why am I still working full time when I can afoord part time. I started looking for a part time job but then my company decided to cut my hours to 35 and gave us a 10% raise. Now I've decided to carry on full time for maybe 5 years, then go part time. I'll be 62 in 5 years.

if my wife was the same age maybe we'd both take early retirement but she's 7 years younger and my son is 15. No point in me finishing too early or going part time as I'll end up home alone so the plan is, stash loads of money in the bank and then she can retire early when I'm 67. As long as nothing goes wrong along the way then there's a lot of places I'd like to see. As I'm carrying on full time for a few more years we can still hav holidays anyway.
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 17:14 - Mar 18 with 1084 viewscontroversial_jack

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 16:17 - Mar 18 by SullutaCreturned

I've thought about it. After my sister died last August I statred to think, why am I still working full time when I can afoord part time. I started looking for a part time job but then my company decided to cut my hours to 35 and gave us a 10% raise. Now I've decided to carry on full time for maybe 5 years, then go part time. I'll be 62 in 5 years.

if my wife was the same age maybe we'd both take early retirement but she's 7 years younger and my son is 15. No point in me finishing too early or going part time as I'll end up home alone so the plan is, stash loads of money in the bank and then she can retire early when I'm 67. As long as nothing goes wrong along the way then there's a lot of places I'd like to see. As I'm carrying on full time for a few more years we can still hav holidays anyway.

I stuck it out until i was 60. I thought the same, lot's of travel and places to see, however it hasn't worked out quite like that. Mrs still working, kids grand kids,elderly mother and sister with autism.

It's a lot better than working though. Get out as soon as you can, finances willing of course
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 18:25 - Mar 18 with 1025 viewslifelong

Been retired for 15 years.since then used to spend 6 weeks every January/ February in Tenerife and spend the summer months near St David’s fishing, walking and bird watching.
The arrival of our Grandson 9 years ago has curtailed our time in Tenerife somewhat but still enjoy time in Pembrokeshire.
Take great pleasure now in taking the Grandson to football and swimming and taking the chocolate lab out most days of the week.
Between Mrs lifelong and me we are very fortunate to have a few very decent pensions and we are able to help out the family.
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 18:38 - Mar 18 with 1019 viewsonehunglow

Bottom line is don’t assume your health will hold out . Your health is the priority .
I’ve know too many to have all sorts of retirement plans only for fate to see them not come to fruition .
Work to live not live to work
Think hard
Be lucky

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 18:55 - Mar 18 with 1011 viewsfishman

For what its worth .
I ran my own business for over 40 yrs ,and like other posters worrying about having enough money to live on was the driving factor on keeping going ,then for the first time i contracted Pnemonia ,and it was a real tough couple of months to be honest .
I was 64 yrs old and had chance to weigh up all my options ,and decided that enough was enough ,so called it a day .
The worry about having enough money never materialised ,not wealthy by any means ,but enough to pay our bills and for a nice holiday every year.
I visit a gym 3 times a week and enjoy my fishing ,a cup of coffee with my better half is also high on the agenda.
Three of fairly close friends ,all older than me,all running their own business ,all sucumbed to the grim reaper within a couple of months of their retirement ,and i thought bugger that ! the reaper will have to drag me screaming and kicking if he comes for me ,i plan to keep active ,enjoy life and make the most of our time on this blue orb that we call home
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 01:03 - Mar 19 with 901 viewsRobbie

Done 40 years in Industry , got out when it got hard going to keep up to pace at 60 .

Other factors were involved , pension issues and a then start swimming with sharks , so called Financial Advisors , another challenge .

Sat around for six months , doing sweet FA , afternoon tele , Bargain Hunt etc , sod this .

Applied for a job in one of the local chain major supermarkets as a shelf stacker , love it .
Been there for close to 7 years and will still turn up tomorrow for my duties .

People question why I am still working , State Pension now and some savings put away .

Do not play golf , have no Grandchildren , get travelling , do a cruise mush , take up DIY .

All reasonable ideas for many oldies like me , but alas nothing of interest .

Many former workmates I keep in touch with can switch off , great .

Thankfully with my body falling apart I can still ride my Bandit and be passable at the gym .
Realise now , I am doing what I enjoy, cycling in the gym and having a laugh with customers .
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 09:25 - Mar 19 with 824 viewsjohnlangy

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 09:48 - Mar 18 by onehunglow

I struggled with myself .
Yiu any idea of what living with me is like
I just say it as I see it.
It’s not always easy to take .

I will add this.

I am not wealthy in my eyes but we are comfortable enough and onky because we never stretched ourselves financially . That means buying a modest house which yiu can afford to run if things go Pete tong ,as they do. Pointless impressing everyone if you have nowt behind you. The rew@rds pay off later in life . My police pension is only a 21 yr one and state pension is crap but it really is a case of being able to live well within modest means ,which was my advice to Winston.

I asked @ financial advisor how much I would need to retire in some comfort. He said, “ you never ever have enough money “

Retirement plans can end immediately after getting the present nobody wants .

Do it Winnie

Being able to laugh at yourself and not taking yourself too seriously is always a good thing. As you just did .

Followed by good advice to anyone reading this.
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 13:15 - Mar 19 with 756 viewsBarryTownSwam

I am 55 today -Yippee -and an age where I have some serious retirement decisions to make. I am self-employed and doing OK - I am able to select which contracts I accept and the clients I work with. As I'm now age 55 I can now access my occupational pension (not as much £££ as if I'd waited to age 60 but I get it 5 years earlier and it evens out over time) and I can access a few savings and investments squirrelled away. My last 'full time' contract will end on Good Friday and I'm then only accepting contracts that last weeks rather than months so I get added flexibility as to how I spend my time. I had an accident at work a few years back that put my out of action for a year and deprived me of the facility management business I'd built up over a decade - I was fortunate to survive, others injured in my accident succumbed to their injures and are no longer with us - and this combination of fate and fear forced me to face tough decisions about changing how I view my life and my priorities. Work insurance paid out into a compensation fund and I've invested this sensibly, so I've worked out I can 'pay the bills' via the occupational pension, the interest on the compensation & investments and drip feeding the pension lump sum over the next few years. I will continue to work simply for spending money and to keep the cognitive and social functions adequately oiled, but I enjoy what I do for a living anyway so I don't view it as 'work' or as a 'job'. I will spend more time with friends and family, finally take those trips to places I've not yet visited, buy a Swans season ticket, walk the dog on the beaches across South Wales each morning, rent a villa in Benidorm each winter to escape the worst of the Welsh winters (the wife is easier to get along with when she has sun on her back and sangria in her veins!), dig the old Lambretta out of the garage and enjoy summer ride outs, slowly tick off the 'DIY Jobs To Do' list, enjoy pub lunches with mates and maybe take on a community role in my village, might even accept a mate's offer to play walking football, but above all remain appreciative of what I have and remember that life is great. Whatever you do in retirement, please enjoy it, appreciate it, and treat it as if it doesn't last forever. COYS.
[Post edited 19 Mar 13:20]
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 13:49 - Mar 19 with 718 viewsonehunglow

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 13:15 - Mar 19 by BarryTownSwam

I am 55 today -Yippee -and an age where I have some serious retirement decisions to make. I am self-employed and doing OK - I am able to select which contracts I accept and the clients I work with. As I'm now age 55 I can now access my occupational pension (not as much £££ as if I'd waited to age 60 but I get it 5 years earlier and it evens out over time) and I can access a few savings and investments squirrelled away. My last 'full time' contract will end on Good Friday and I'm then only accepting contracts that last weeks rather than months so I get added flexibility as to how I spend my time. I had an accident at work a few years back that put my out of action for a year and deprived me of the facility management business I'd built up over a decade - I was fortunate to survive, others injured in my accident succumbed to their injures and are no longer with us - and this combination of fate and fear forced me to face tough decisions about changing how I view my life and my priorities. Work insurance paid out into a compensation fund and I've invested this sensibly, so I've worked out I can 'pay the bills' via the occupational pension, the interest on the compensation & investments and drip feeding the pension lump sum over the next few years. I will continue to work simply for spending money and to keep the cognitive and social functions adequately oiled, but I enjoy what I do for a living anyway so I don't view it as 'work' or as a 'job'. I will spend more time with friends and family, finally take those trips to places I've not yet visited, buy a Swans season ticket, walk the dog on the beaches across South Wales each morning, rent a villa in Benidorm each winter to escape the worst of the Welsh winters (the wife is easier to get along with when she has sun on her back and sangria in her veins!), dig the old Lambretta out of the garage and enjoy summer ride outs, slowly tick off the 'DIY Jobs To Do' list, enjoy pub lunches with mates and maybe take on a community role in my village, might even accept a mate's offer to play walking football, but above all remain appreciative of what I have and remember that life is great. Whatever you do in retirement, please enjoy it, appreciate it, and treat it as if it doesn't last forever. COYS.
[Post edited 19 Mar 13:20]

Good luck K

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 21:37 - Mar 19 with 593 viewsmax936

Every day of the week, at 63 and having worked for 47yrs I think I'm entitled as well.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 21:51 - Mar 19 with 575 viewsmajorraglan

I retired almost 3 years ago after turning 55 from what was quite a demanding job. I could have carried on, but as I’d been working since I was 18 and had the requisite number of years in the pension scheme it didn’t make sense to stay on so I bailed out. I had intended to upskill, get a few qualifications/ courses under my belt etc to keep my options open with a view to doing something different but Covid put an end to that. I ended up leaving and wasn’t bothered whether I worked or not, but wifey spotted an advert for someone to work part time on a 3 month temporary contract and encouraged me to apply which I did and was fortunate to one of those who were offered a job. My initial contract was extended and I’ve now been there nearly 3 years. I work with the public, some of whom are less fortunate than myself and it’s very rewarding to be able to help people. I enjoy what I do, nice I’ve had enough I’ll pack it in. I’ve been doing some renovation work too so I’ve been pretty busy, but I’m looking forward chilling for a while now and doing a few trips in a little old 2 seater soft top we’ve bought.

We don’t have grandkids and as my Mrs is a few years younger and unable to access her pension she’s still in work. Also, my parents health isn’t great and I have responsibilities for them now too. We’re doing a holidays and visiting places we’ve always wanted to go to, but what I’d really like is a place abroad for the winters etc, but that’s not going to happen.
Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 07:57 - Mar 20 with 503 viewsTogg

Retiring . Who’s think about it? on 21:51 - Mar 19 by majorraglan

I retired almost 3 years ago after turning 55 from what was quite a demanding job. I could have carried on, but as I’d been working since I was 18 and had the requisite number of years in the pension scheme it didn’t make sense to stay on so I bailed out. I had intended to upskill, get a few qualifications/ courses under my belt etc to keep my options open with a view to doing something different but Covid put an end to that. I ended up leaving and wasn’t bothered whether I worked or not, but wifey spotted an advert for someone to work part time on a 3 month temporary contract and encouraged me to apply which I did and was fortunate to one of those who were offered a job. My initial contract was extended and I’ve now been there nearly 3 years. I work with the public, some of whom are less fortunate than myself and it’s very rewarding to be able to help people. I enjoy what I do, nice I’ve had enough I’ll pack it in. I’ve been doing some renovation work too so I’ve been pretty busy, but I’m looking forward chilling for a while now and doing a few trips in a little old 2 seater soft top we’ve bought.

We don’t have grandkids and as my Mrs is a few years younger and unable to access her pension she’s still in work. Also, my parents health isn’t great and I have responsibilities for them now too. We’re doing a holidays and visiting places we’ve always wanted to go to, but what I’d really like is a place abroad for the winters etc, but that’s not going to happen.

Personally unless you have the.money I wouldn't do the buying the second home thing. If circumstances allow just take January and February in the Canaries for guaranteed sun or Southern Spain for mostly Spring like weather.
Brings me back to the soon to be increased state pension of 67
Which is fine if you have a non manual job. I see guys who are skilled builders, tradesmen etc about my age ,(early sixties)who look knackered. Back problems, knee problems arthritis etc. Many still working outdoors. That must be tough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024