Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A vaguely optimistic stat 10:51 - Apr 7 with 935 viewsPatfromPoole

As everybody on here knows, I am ever the beacon of hope and ray of light on this forum.

Have been looking at recent stats of play-off winners.

From the last 8 seasons, the team finishing 4th in the Championship has won the play-offs 3 times:-

- Hull in 2015/16
- Fulham in 2019/20
- Forest in 2021/22

Not exactly a shoe-in to go up, but 4th doesn't appear quite the graveyard spot I had thought it might be....

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

A vaguely optimistic stat on 11:31 - Apr 7 with 878 viewsdirk_doone

The way the draw works, including who has home advantage in the 2nd leg, the 3rd placed team is supposed to meet the 4th placed team in the final. Then it's a one-off at Wembley, So, yes, the 4th placed team should be better placed to win than those in 5th and 6th positions. It doesn't always work like that though. End of season momentum must be another important factor and, right now, we don't have it.

Luck with injuries is another factor. What we really need is for all 3 of our goalkeepers to miraculously get injured in a mass training accident, so we can bring in a new goalkeeper on emergency loan. It's not going to happen, is it?
[Post edited 7 Apr 11:57]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:30 - Apr 7 with 793 viewskingslandstand1

Less than 50% then, but I'm for a day out at Wemberleee!
A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:38 - Apr 7 with 778 viewsPatfromPoole

A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:30 - Apr 7 by kingslandstand1

Less than 50% then, but I'm for a day out at Wemberleee!

There is absolutely no point in going to Wembley for “a day out”.

It’s a shite place to lose, and would be a thoroughly miserable day if we did lose.

Don’t really get the “day out” mindset.

The result is the be all and end all.

The League Cup Final in 2017 is right up there with my biggest disappointments as a Saints fan.

It’s a great evening to celebrate up there if we win.
[Post edited 7 Apr 12:43]

A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:42 - Apr 7 with 767 viewskingslandstand1

Dirk has it right where one of the biggest factors, certainly in getting to the final has to be momentum and I'm not so sure there in one stand out team in that category. Possibly Coventry but they have points to catch up to get in to the top 6, and whoever it is out of the current top 3 will be pi55ed off at missing out on Auto, so could be interesting tight to the end!
A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:44 - Apr 7 with 756 viewsPatfromPoole

A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:42 - Apr 7 by kingslandstand1

Dirk has it right where one of the biggest factors, certainly in getting to the final has to be momentum and I'm not so sure there in one stand out team in that category. Possibly Coventry but they have points to catch up to get in to the top 6, and whoever it is out of the current top 3 will be pi55ed off at missing out on Auto, so could be interesting tight to the end!

Agreed.

I think whoever finishes 3rd may find it hard psychologically.

A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:44 - Apr 7 with 756 viewskingslandstand1

A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:38 - Apr 7 by PatfromPoole

It’s a shite place to lose, and would be a thoroughly miserable day if we did lose.

The League Cup Final in 2017 is right up there with my biggest disappointments as a Saints fan.

Would we go there expecting to win no matter who we play? There is so much negativity around this place we'd almost certainly be going there as underdogs
A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:49 - Apr 7 with 746 viewsPatfromPoole

A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:44 - Apr 7 by kingslandstand1

Would we go there expecting to win no matter who we play? There is so much negativity around this place we'd almost certainly be going there as underdogs

We need to get a few wins to get momentum and confidence going on and off the pitch.

Three consecutive home games in the next 10 days; 3 wins would be just the job.

A vaguely optimistic stat on 14:29 - Apr 7 with 662 viewsGRIM

A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:49 - Apr 7 by PatfromPoole

We need to get a few wins to get momentum and confidence going on and off the pitch.

Three consecutive home games in the next 10 days; 3 wins would be just the job.

It's usually the team that's in the best form at the end of season that wins the play offs.
Unless we improve dramatically & quickly then it won't be us that goes up.
Login to get fewer ads

A vaguely optimistic stat on 17:14 - Apr 7 with 573 viewsBerber

Slightly better than the random one out of four. It is a lottery.
A vaguely optimistic stat on 20:54 - Apr 7 with 444 viewsSFC_Referee

A vaguely optimistic stat on 12:38 - Apr 7 by PatfromPoole

Yeah but at least if you’re at the final you get a day out, have all the excitement and interest in the game and leads to it being a decent day for the first half, but then for the second half of the day, depending on the score of the game.
As I’d rather have a day out, watch what’s certain to be an interesting game, and be depressed up in London, rather than not getting any of that and instead being depressed in Southampton.

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

A vaguely optimistic stat on 21:24 - Apr 7 with 414 viewsPatfromPoole

A vaguely optimistic stat on 20:54 - Apr 7 by SFC_Referee

Yeah but at least if you’re at the final you get a day out, have all the excitement and interest in the game and leads to it being a decent day for the first half, but then for the second half of the day, depending on the score of the game.
As I’d rather have a day out, watch what’s certain to be an interesting game, and be depressed up in London, rather than not getting any of that and instead being depressed in Southampton.

Oh well.

Each to their own.

I’d rather lose in the semi-final than at Wembley.

It’s never “a good day out” if you lose in my book.

A vaguely optimistic stat on 21:48 - Apr 7 with 387 viewsSouthamptonfan

A vaguely optimistic stat on 21:24 - Apr 7 by PatfromPoole

Oh well.

Each to their own.

I’d rather lose in the semi-final than at Wembley.

It’s never “a good day out” if you lose in my book.

It's a good day out until you know you've lost isn't it? Certainly, if you were told you were going to lose before the game, I wouldn't bother but we could never know, that's part of the excitement of going to huge game. The excitement and hope of winning at our national stadium makes it an exciting day. The build up, the thousands of fans travelling en masse to Wembley, Saints fans en masse on every station to London, the anticipation, the colour, an excuse to have a few drinks before a huge game, my club playing at our national stadium. I think it would be a massive "day out" and great occasion. We risk losing and feeling sh!t but it's the best way to go up Imo in front of 35 000 of our own fans. It's not like a cup final playing the top 6, when you know you're going to lose. We would have every chance of winning it.
[Post edited 7 Apr 21:52]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024