Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Consistently inconsistent - the RM effect? 11:48 - Apr 10 with 511 viewssaint901

I could not make the Coventry game, but threads here and watching highlights suggest that Aribo had a good game. The Boro match I did watch and I thought KWP had a good game. Scrolling back through these threads other players have been picked out for playing well in individual matches.

Is it the case that players have one/two good matches and then relative ordinary games.

Or is it that they have a good game and then get dropped?

Or they have a good game and the following week half their team mates change along with the system?
Consistently inconsistent - the RM effect? on 12:07 - Apr 10 with 471 viewsSouthamptonfan

Aribo was again superb, he definitely won't be dropped. He is not only powerful, but good with driving forward with the ball. There has been a lot of focus on tactics, which I understand and agree with to a point. But let me ask these few questions:

Had Adams not missed from 5 yards against Middlesbrough at one nil up, do we not go on and win that game? Is this the manager's fault that his PL striker can't score from 5 yards?

At Ipswich, we were excellent, by far the better team and they score in the 97th minute after a harsh sending off. If one of the defenders, simply dive in front of the Ipswich player that gets the winner, we get a point. Instead they gave him all the time in the world and let him score with the outside of his boot. Does this have anything to do with our style of play? I would say not.

Add 4 more points to our total, and we are right in there. I am not sure those points can be blamed on the style of play. And in other games too, we have simply missed chances or made mistakes. A few games, yes we can look at the style of play, but Leicester play the same way. They just have Vardy and Co up front who don't miss.

RM has made mistakes, and I get frustrated when we are seemingly going left and right or when Mara comes on and so on, but we will finish with 90 odd points. It's not all doom and gloom.
[Post edited 10 Apr 12:10]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Consistently inconsistent - the RM effect? on 13:06 - Apr 10 with 402 viewsIfonly

Consistently inconsistent - the RM effect? on 12:07 - Apr 10 by Southamptonfan

Aribo was again superb, he definitely won't be dropped. He is not only powerful, but good with driving forward with the ball. There has been a lot of focus on tactics, which I understand and agree with to a point. But let me ask these few questions:

Had Adams not missed from 5 yards against Middlesbrough at one nil up, do we not go on and win that game? Is this the manager's fault that his PL striker can't score from 5 yards?

At Ipswich, we were excellent, by far the better team and they score in the 97th minute after a harsh sending off. If one of the defenders, simply dive in front of the Ipswich player that gets the winner, we get a point. Instead they gave him all the time in the world and let him score with the outside of his boot. Does this have anything to do with our style of play? I would say not.

Add 4 more points to our total, and we are right in there. I am not sure those points can be blamed on the style of play. And in other games too, we have simply missed chances or made mistakes. A few games, yes we can look at the style of play, but Leicester play the same way. They just have Vardy and Co up front who don't miss.

RM has made mistakes, and I get frustrated when we are seemingly going left and right or when Mara comes on and so on, but we will finish with 90 odd points. It's not all doom and gloom.
[Post edited 10 Apr 12:10]

If only this, if only that...

Kind Regards
Ifonly
Consistently inconsistent - the RM effect? on 12:54 - Apr 11 with 216 viewssaint901

I would suggest that this season we have scored a number of goals that owe as much to luck as tactics and individual players.

Adams - for whatever reason - has missed a number of sitters this season. He knows, we know it, RM knows it. I get why RM keeps him in - because he is perhaps the best fit striker we have and give him enough chances and he will score - but it's been the same all season. Picking out the Boro game is like saying we beat Leeds and therefore should beat everybody else.

The Ipswich late goal was entirely avoidable. Yes the red card was debatable but at 2-2 away from home to the top of the league, 10 men, what you do is play nine at the back and leave one up. You don't carry in playing as though we want the 65% possession to continue. LAck of a plan B cost us, not a scuffed shot.

The point I'm making is that our players do seem able to have a series of good games. Rather they play well for 1 or 2 games and then fall away again to mediocrity. Why is that?

I suggest that it may be because of constant changes to the first 11, to tactics being compromised to incorporate favourites, to wildly differing tactical instructions from RM (see the Blackburn game where hardly got half the team over the half way line - against a team who got thumped 5-0 this week).

If a player starts to play well in a position then surely pro manager 101 is to keep him there and keep the system that gives him the ball/space. It's not to move him around (how many positions has AA played this year?) or to put him in places he cannot cope with (JS) or to go from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 on alternate weeks.

For me, this is a sign of lack of experience from RM who has the best squad he's probably ever had but is learning in the job and is seemingly hampered by his ego.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024