Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Brought About Russell Martin U Turns Against Preston 12:55 - Apr 17 with 770 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/62349/what-brought-about

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
What Brought About Russell Martin U Turns Against Preston on 13:34 - Apr 17 with 683 viewsPatfromPoole

Regardless of what level you are playing at, whether it be club or international football, the same principle applies.

If you play the game at pace, you will make the game more difficult for the opposition.

We just looked "at it" last night, with a much better tempo.

If that is partly because McCarthy was in the side, meaning we didn't faff about so much with the ball at the back, all well and good.

It's the way we need to play every game from hereon in.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

What Brought About Russell Martin U Turns Against Preston on 15:32 - Apr 17 with 568 viewssledger

surely then with this decision it smacks of incompetence that mcarthy hasnt been number 2 all season,our selections are just weird at times
What Brought About Russell Martin U Turns Against Preston on 15:50 - Apr 17 with 545 viewsBLEEDRED

Kept possession but moved the ball quicker, no 10 passes along the back line and it worked
What Brought About Russell Martin U Turns Against Preston on 08:54 - Apr 18 with 341 viewsManhattan_Lynx

I doubt he intended to play in a style that suited the team much more. Enforced because of McCarthy's limitations. I didn't read the article.
What Brought About Russell Martin U Turns Against Preston on 09:11 - Apr 18 with 324 viewssaint901

The team v PNE (and the result) has got us RM doubters in a quandary.

My view of RM is that he has stubbornly kept to a plan that sees a team going out to play that includes players in the wrong positions, a system that requires players to be better than they actually are (some defenders don't want to pass a ball between two opposition players 20 yards from goal) and stutters where we need to put on foot on the gas or chase a goal.

And why? Because it's "his way".

Perhaps beyond "his way" is the fact that many PL play the possession game and and RM's got ahead of himself a bit. We've seen Leicester play this way and aside from their recent stumbles, they've made it work, arguably with a better defence.

Against PNE however he was forced to remove the GK who many of us think is the weakest link in the team, kept JS on the bench and restored some players who played well a few months back and then seemed to fall out of favour.

Now either he has read all the threads here, decided we were right and changed his team or he was forced into the moves by injuries or he is a tactical genius (no evidence of that) or he got lucky and the players coming in had something to prove and went for it.

Personally I think RM has a little too much of the necessary managerial quality of always being right and sometimes if a player is questioning his way, he reacts like a sulky kid and drops them from team and bench. When he thinks they've learned their lesson (or when his other options are unavailable) he has to bring them back. It's certainly a way to manage high performing players, but not the only way and perhaps not the best way.

I'll wait and see the team for the weekend. I hope he plays the same team in the same formation but actually playing back to back games with the same team probably has not happened this season?
What Brought About Russell Martin U Turns Against Preston on 09:22 - Apr 18 with 309 viewsPatfromPoole

What Brought About Russell Martin U Turns Against Preston on 09:11 - Apr 18 by saint901

The team v PNE (and the result) has got us RM doubters in a quandary.

My view of RM is that he has stubbornly kept to a plan that sees a team going out to play that includes players in the wrong positions, a system that requires players to be better than they actually are (some defenders don't want to pass a ball between two opposition players 20 yards from goal) and stutters where we need to put on foot on the gas or chase a goal.

And why? Because it's "his way".

Perhaps beyond "his way" is the fact that many PL play the possession game and and RM's got ahead of himself a bit. We've seen Leicester play this way and aside from their recent stumbles, they've made it work, arguably with a better defence.

Against PNE however he was forced to remove the GK who many of us think is the weakest link in the team, kept JS on the bench and restored some players who played well a few months back and then seemed to fall out of favour.

Now either he has read all the threads here, decided we were right and changed his team or he was forced into the moves by injuries or he is a tactical genius (no evidence of that) or he got lucky and the players coming in had something to prove and went for it.

Personally I think RM has a little too much of the necessary managerial quality of always being right and sometimes if a player is questioning his way, he reacts like a sulky kid and drops them from team and bench. When he thinks they've learned their lesson (or when his other options are unavailable) he has to bring them back. It's certainly a way to manage high performing players, but not the only way and perhaps not the best way.

I'll wait and see the team for the weekend. I hope he plays the same team in the same formation but actually playing back to back games with the same team probably has not happened this season?

Of course Brighton Buddha has read the threads on here.

This is where you find the tactical acumen necessary to outwit all the other teams in the League.

I am just waiting for his next pre-match press conference to contain details of his Top 3 biscuits.

It would be most remiss of young Alfred House from the local press if he were not to ask this.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024