Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. 17:29 - Apr 20 with 1827 viewssaintmark1976

Despite 62% possession whilst playing tippy tappy, sideways and backwards football we managed to lose today to a Cardiff team decimated by injuries, without their two best strikers and fielding a bunch of school kids.

Once again our idiot manager couldn’t get his players to defend a lead and made reactive rather than proactive substitutions. He’s done the same all season long and has learned nothing.

When are the owners going to realise that Russell Martin is part of the problem rather than the solution? Having said that I don’t hold out much hope given that for their part this week they have managed to upset a large proportion of season ticket holders with a ridiculous plan to install safe standing next season.
Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 17:31 - Apr 20 with 1805 viewssaint22

This
He won’t change though
Swansea fans were spot on
And we are lumbered with it
Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 18:10 - Apr 20 with 1719 viewsIfonly

I didn't go but it sounds like a repeat of many games I did see
Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 18:19 - Apr 20 with 1696 viewsMrangry25

And a 10-15% increase to sit in cramped seats and watch Championship Football because I sure as hell can’t see this load of bottlers winning the playoffs.
Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 18:34 - Apr 20 with 1638 viewssaint22

Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 18:10 - Apr 20 by Ifonly

I didn't go but it sounds like a repeat of many games I did see

But like Wussells post match comments
The same as all season, we need to be more clinical, we don’t do the defending, we have thrown away a good chance to close the gap,
So predictable
Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 07:10 - Apr 21 with 1253 viewsSalisburySaint

The problem yesterday was not defending the lead, it was not taking the numerous chances we had to extend the lead, the forwards let us down badly
Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 10:22 - Apr 21 with 1052 viewsdirk_doone

With a decent Championship goalkeeper we'd have won the league. If we'd also had a striker who could put away a reasonable percentage of the enormous number of chances we create, we'd have won it by a very big points margin.

I think it's a false economy not to get the key players in just because so much money was wasted on Bazunu, McCarthy and Stewart, as promotion would reap huge financial rewards and more than cover the cost.

I'm no expert on these X stats but I guess that, based on the expected percentage of shots on target our goalkeepers should have saved and the expected goals our strikers should have scored from the number of chances they've had, if they were equal to the Championship average standard, we'd be top now, as we always seem to create more chances than the teams we play against.
[Post edited 21 Apr 10:43]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 14:41 - Apr 23 with 711 viewssaint901

I think you'll find that our percentage conversion of shots on target to goals is the fourth best in the league.

We are equal with Ipswich, Norwich and PNE and therefore better than Leeds, Leicester, WBA and other play off contenders.

So the issue is not scoring because there we are good.

Going further, the best players for Saints in terms of shots to goals are Edozie, Adams and Aribo. Two of those three do not feature regularly - go figure.

In terms of opposition shots on target to goals conceded, we are way down the list - second from bottom. Sort of hints at where the issue is perhaps.
Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 15:02 - Apr 23 with 692 viewsIfonly

Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 14:41 - Apr 23 by saint901

I think you'll find that our percentage conversion of shots on target to goals is the fourth best in the league.

We are equal with Ipswich, Norwich and PNE and therefore better than Leeds, Leicester, WBA and other play off contenders.

So the issue is not scoring because there we are good.

Going further, the best players for Saints in terms of shots to goals are Edozie, Adams and Aribo. Two of those three do not feature regularly - go figure.

In terms of opposition shots on target to goals conceded, we are way down the list - second from bottom. Sort of hints at where the issue is perhaps.

You can see the same story in goals scored / conceded. For example, we have scored 5 more goals than Leeds but let in 19 more, so far. That's an amazing difference.

A team that needs 3 goals to win because they're going to concede 2 against mediocre opposition will never get promoted.
Login to get fewer ads

Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 08:15 - Apr 25 with 449 viewsHollywood56

Utterly pathetic management as automatic promotion thrown away. on 10:22 - Apr 21 by dirk_doone

With a decent Championship goalkeeper we'd have won the league. If we'd also had a striker who could put away a reasonable percentage of the enormous number of chances we create, we'd have won it by a very big points margin.

I think it's a false economy not to get the key players in just because so much money was wasted on Bazunu, McCarthy and Stewart, as promotion would reap huge financial rewards and more than cover the cost.

I'm no expert on these X stats but I guess that, based on the expected percentage of shots on target our goalkeepers should have saved and the expected goals our strikers should have scored from the number of chances they've had, if they were equal to the Championship average standard, we'd be top now, as we always seem to create more chances than the teams we play against.
[Post edited 21 Apr 10:43]

We kept McCarthy and let Forster go for free, OK I know Forster isn't the best keeper in the world, but he was the best option that we had at the time, now we've got a clown that thinks he can dribble like Pele, Bazoona (he can't) he gets injured and we have to rely on a keeper that has no idea how to defend his near post or actually catch a ball (McCarthy), If we win the play offs and that's a BIG IF! we will come straight back down unless there are some major big changes at St Mary's.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024