Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
0898 12 11 78 10:22 - Sep 26 with 1289 viewsshotters

Anyone else remember what that was the number for?

You’d have been around in the 1980’s to know what I’m on about

Spent way too much time, and money, not always mine, phoning this number

Fail we may, sail we must

0
0898 12 11 78 on 11:08 - Sep 26 with 1160 viewsCity_boy

Was this the Premium rate number you could dial for info on Saints ?
0
0898 12 11 78 on 11:29 - Sep 26 with 1118 viewsshotters

Correct
Saints club call

An absolute rip off and in the days before 5live the only way I could find out the final score
I remember going to the phone box round the corner from where I lived, my mum wisely only had a phone that received incoming calls, and spending a small fortune and finding out the final score of an away game at Villa in about 1989, the season that we went over 20 games without a win

On a different note that phone box was opposite Andrew Wessex’s Pizza Express of choice which is a couple of minutes walk from my mums house

Fail we may, sail we must

0
0898 12 11 78 on 13:12 - Sep 26 with 1007 viewscocklebreath

You’d get through and for first couple of minutes some pointless chatter and promises of transfer news that never seemed to happen, it’s like if I ever turn on talk sport and it’s constantly telling you what’s coming up. Both total shit.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

0
0898 12 11 78 on 14:13 - Sep 26 with 927 viewsshotters

0898 12 11 78 on 13:12 - Sep 26 by cocklebreath

You’d get through and for first couple of minutes some pointless chatter and promises of transfer news that never seemed to happen, it’s like if I ever turn on talk sport and it’s constantly telling you what’s coming up. Both total shit.


Yep
I got a severe bollocking when my boss at the time saw the phone bill after we’d beaten Norwich 5-4
Weren’t allowed to have a radio on and I was told we’d won it in the last minute

The fact that I can still remember the number 30 odd years later is quite telling
[Post edited 26 Sep 14:14]

Fail we may, sail we must

0
0898 12 11 78 on 15:48 - Sep 26 with 794 viewsInTimeAddedOn

The number certainly seemed familiar, my first thought was the Steve Wright In The Afternoon show’s spoof 0898 ad’s that were a running joke on the show but that was 0898 121 121, for example, two Rotarians and an egg whisk on 0898 121 121. There were loads of them, all equally bizarre and often quite funny.

Those Club Call & Team Talk lines were an absolute rip off, in fact, they were a double rip off because not only did they fleece the supporters but the clubs only got 25%-35% of the total revenue generated. Overall the biggest winners were the media companies operating the lines and then BT who took 25%-30% of the total revenue generated for themselves. Top flight clubs typically earned 10p-13p per minute depending on who they were, so, Saints = 10p/min, Liverpool = 13p/min

How times have changed…
0
0898 12 11 78 on 16:02 - Sep 26 with 785 viewsWints76

I once dialled an 0898 number that was advertised in one of the Sunday papers and told my mum it was Saints Club call, as it was less of a bollocking
0
0898 12 11 78 on 17:04 - Sep 26 with 733 viewscocklebreath

0898 12 11 78 on 16:02 - Sep 26 by Wints76

I once dialled an 0898 number that was advertised in one of the Sunday papers and told my mum it was Saints Club call, as it was less of a bollocking


Yes I might have done that once as well, wasn’t quite as exciting as I’d hoped.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026