Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opening game of season 15:31 - Aug 19 with 4588 viewsdalian

Just a quick question.... who can remind me when was the last occasion that Dale won the season curtain raiser? Am I right in thinking it was the 2-0 win at Cheltenham under Parkin?
Opening game of season on 15:38 - Aug 19 with 3345 viewsNerazzurri

1-0 at Shrewsbury in 2005. Holt scored the winner past a certain Joe Hart.

Forza Nerazzurri

Opening game of season on 15:42 - Aug 19 with 3321 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Opening game of season on 15:38 - Aug 19 by Nerazzurri

1-0 at Shrewsbury in 2005. Holt scored the winner past a certain Joe Hart.

In that perspective then,yesterday's result was great.
Opening game of season on 15:42 - Aug 19 with 3320 viewsTVOS1907

And on a similar theme, since that Shrewsbury game we've only scored one goal on the opening day of the season.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Opening game of season on 15:44 - Aug 19 with 3313 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Opening game of season on 15:42 - Aug 19 by TVOS1907

And on a similar theme, since that Shrewsbury game we've only scored one goal on the opening day of the season.

Slow starters,or what?
Opening game of season on 15:45 - Aug 19 with 3313 viewsdalian

Port Vale (away), the season we went up I guess?

Not the best reading them stats!

How about best opening day results? Or any memorable matches?
Opening game of season on 15:55 - Aug 19 with 3297 viewsTVOS1907

Opening game of season on 15:45 - Aug 19 by dalian

Have a surf around here: http://www.statto.com/football/teams/rochdale/2012-2013/results

Opening game of season on 16:07 - Aug 19 with 3274 viewsBartRowou

Derek Parlane's goal against Peterborough in the 87 opener was the last time we scored from a free kick.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Opening game of season on 16:13 - Aug 19 with 3257 viewsTVOS1907

Opening game of season on 16:07 - Aug 19 by BartRowou

Derek Parlane's goal against Peterborough in the 87 opener was the last time we scored from a free kick.

That wasn't the opener; we had drawn 0-0 at Hereford the week before.

Login to get fewer ads

Opening game of season on 19:10 - Aug 19 with 3155 viewsShun

Opening game of season on 15:45 - Aug 19 by dalian

We drew that 1-1 didn't we?
Opening game of season on 19:38 - Aug 19 with 3133 viewsTVOS1907

Opening game of season on 19:10 - Aug 19 by Shun

We drew that 1-1 didn't we?

Yes.

He meant that was the only opening game we've scored in since 2005.

Opening game of season on 11:21 - Aug 20 with 3009 viewsdingdangblue

This thread wouldve been more useful on friday - we couldve all gone and put money on no goalscorer!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Opening game of season on 12:52 - Aug 20 with 2950 viewsToffeemanc

If your looking for a positive from Saturdays score how about this, that 1-1 draw at Port Vale came at the start of the promotion season, coincidentally that game also had a minutes silence/applause before kick-off for the then recently departed Bobby Robson. Omens ,coincidence or just clutching at straws ?

Also drawing 0-0 against Hartlepool on the opening day the following season was the first game in our best season ever.

Maybe a draw on the opening day is the sign of a good season for The Dale !!

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Opening game of season on 13:05 - Aug 20 with 2920 viewsTVOS1907

Opening game of season on 12:52 - Aug 20 by Toffeemanc

If your looking for a positive from Saturdays score how about this, that 1-1 draw at Port Vale came at the start of the promotion season, coincidentally that game also had a minutes silence/applause before kick-off for the then recently departed Bobby Robson. Omens ,coincidence or just clutching at straws ?

Also drawing 0-0 against Hartlepool on the opening day the following season was the first game in our best season ever.

Maybe a draw on the opening day is the sign of a good season for The Dale !!

Yes.

And Bobby Robson starts and ends with the same letters as Brian Green!

Opening game of season on 13:09 - Aug 20 with 2906 views442Dale

Opening game of season on 13:05 - Aug 20 by TVOS1907

Yes.

And Bobby Robson starts and ends with the same letters as Brian Green!

Both managed abroad.

Marc Richards played for Port Vale in '09, he used to play for Northampton and we're facing him again tomorrow night.

Jesus, someone find out who we're playing in the first game in League 1.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Opening game of season on 13:33 - Aug 20 with 2871 viewsTVOS1907

Opening game of season on 13:09 - Aug 20 by 442Dale

Both managed abroad.

Marc Richards played for Port Vale in '09, he used to play for Northampton and we're facing him again tomorrow night.

Jesus, someone find out who we're playing in the first game in League 1.

It was Jesus Seba.

He was a mater of Isidro Diaz and Roberto Martinez.

Opening game of season on 13:39 - Aug 20 with 2860 viewsClivert

Opening game of season on 13:33 - Aug 20 by TVOS1907

It was Jesus Seba.

He was a mater of Isidro Diaz and Roberto Martinez.

......and we of course have JC as our manager.

Spooky!
Opening game of season on 13:46 - Aug 20 with 2849 viewsfitzochris

I seem to remember a cracking 3-3 draw with Cardiff at Spotland in the 90s. Fairly sure it was our first league game of the season.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Opening game of season on 13:54 - Aug 20 with 2835 viewsTVOS1907

Opening game of season on 13:46 - Aug 20 by fitzochris

I seem to remember a cracking 3-3 draw with Cardiff at Spotland in the 90s. Fairly sure it was our first league game of the season.

It was - 1995/96.

Opening game of season on 13:56 - Aug 20 with 2829 viewsSalwaDale

Opening game of season on 13:54 - Aug 20 by TVOS1907

It was - 1995/96.

Was that when they found a loaded gun in the away end after the game?

TBBT

Opening game of season on 14:03 - Aug 20 with 2823 viewsTVOS1907

Opening game of season on 13:56 - Aug 20 by SalwaDale

Was that when they found a loaded gun in the away end after the game?

Yes.

Opening game of season on 14:36 - Aug 20 with 2793 viewsdingdangblue

Parkins 1st season we had a great start,99/00,won our 1st 3 games without conceding a goal (that 3-0 win at York we were all getting giddy)! Won our 1st 5 away games without conceding a goal. Then we somehow went 7 home games without scoring! The following season after another great start we somehow went on that awful run of 12 games in feb/mar/apr without a win to blow our promotion chances.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Opening game of season on 15:23 - Aug 20 with 2749 viewsfitzochris

I know Parkin is pretty much derided now among the Dale faithful but he was the first manager who gave me genuine hope of a Dale promotion - even more so than Sutton. Given that Parkin arrived on the back of the horrendous Barrow era, the start we made in '99 was quite amazing.

Okay, we had the odd slip against Halifax and Chester, I think, during that early run, but we had a very capable squad. We tailed off to finish about tenth, but I had genuine faith that Parkin would deliver, given time. Okay, the next season could be viewed one of two ways. We were flying before going on a winless run that saw us lose 7-1 at home to Shrewsbury. We also had a nightmare run-in at the end of that season where we were playing three games a week at one point. To miss out on the play-offs on the last day of the season was agonising - and this is where it could be said that Parkin was to blame due to the aforementioned winless run - but at least we were in with a shout, and that's what mattered to me.

The next season we were in the driving seat by Christmas yet again and, if Parkin and Ford hadn't jumped ship, who knows... even with Hollins steering us we only just missed out on third spot.

It was perhaps Parkin's second spell that spoiled his esteem with us, but I'll always remember him fondly as far as his association with Dale goes. He brought some damn good players to this club and the football, although not to Hillcroft standards, was a joy to watch most of the time.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Opening game of season on 15:30 - Aug 20 with 2743 viewsTVOS1907

Opening game of season on 15:23 - Aug 20 by fitzochris

I know Parkin is pretty much derided now among the Dale faithful but he was the first manager who gave me genuine hope of a Dale promotion - even more so than Sutton. Given that Parkin arrived on the back of the horrendous Barrow era, the start we made in '99 was quite amazing.

Okay, we had the odd slip against Halifax and Chester, I think, during that early run, but we had a very capable squad. We tailed off to finish about tenth, but I had genuine faith that Parkin would deliver, given time. Okay, the next season could be viewed one of two ways. We were flying before going on a winless run that saw us lose 7-1 at home to Shrewsbury. We also had a nightmare run-in at the end of that season where we were playing three games a week at one point. To miss out on the play-offs on the last day of the season was agonising - and this is where it could be said that Parkin was to blame due to the aforementioned winless run - but at least we were in with a shout, and that's what mattered to me.

The next season we were in the driving seat by Christmas yet again and, if Parkin and Ford hadn't jumped ship, who knows... even with Hollins steering us we only just missed out on third spot.

It was perhaps Parkin's second spell that spoiled his esteem with us, but I'll always remember him fondly as far as his association with Dale goes. He brought some damn good players to this club and the football, although not to Hillcroft standards, was a joy to watch most of the time.

Agree.

He also brought in players who made money for the club, such as Holt, Lambert and Murray, to name three.

Opening game of season on 15:47 - Aug 20 with 2719 viewsSalwaDale

Opening game of season on 15:30 - Aug 20 by TVOS1907

Agree.

He also brought in players who made money for the club, such as Holt, Lambert and Murray, to name three.

Without doubt one of our better managers. I know the second spell didn't work but he certainly had an eye for a player.

TBBT

Opening game of season on 15:52 - Aug 20 with 2715 viewsPotterDale

Opening game of season on 15:23 - Aug 20 by fitzochris

"It was perhaps P*****'s second spell that spoiled his esteem with us"
No its the fact that he turned out to be a money grabbing Judas c*** that spoiled his esteem. How certain sections of the crowd, who incidently were booing Keith Hill recently, welcomed back the aforementioned person with open arms has always puzzled me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024