Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The City view on Hughes. 20:09 - Sep 4 with 4528 viewsJonDoeman

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=264743

It Is What It Is !!

The City view on Hughes. on 20:14 - Sep 4 with 2795 viewswaveydave

The last post in that thread atm

'Forgive me if some of this has been posted as I haven't read the full thread.

When he was appointed, he had a good reputation and a decent team at Blackburn, which was punching above its weight. It was the media's considered opinion that he was just about the best British manager available at the time.

He got 'found out' at City, promoted above his station. I think he was also undermined by the signing of 2 Brazilians he had no part in acquiring, namely Jo and Robinho. One was crap and he didn't know how to utilise the other, or motivate him (Does anyone?) but kept putting Robinho in the team, often to the detriment of the team. It left him undermined by team performance, not helped by weird tactics/defensive inadequacies, and a mass of difficult egos to contend with. His thinking appeared to become increasingly muddled prior to his departure.

It's at times like this - looking back at the draws we managed to conjure from winning positions, and to that display away at Tottenham when Adebayor and Robinho barely got above walking pace - that I realise/remember just how big a job Mancini inherited. He turned that team around; built a defensive unit where there wasn't one before; tackled the Robinho issue; imposed himself on the egotistical bastards who were undermining the club, and took us from strength to strength while lots of Champ Managers on here were pontificating along the lines of 'He's not the right man for us...should have given Hughes more time...etc' You know who you are.

Anyway, back to Hughes - having seen the QPR team at the weekend, I thought they had improved significantly and will do OK this season. Won't trouble the top half of the table though as long as Anton Ferdinand's at centre half though.'

Quite interesting and in many parts true. Hughes isn't the best manager, he is no Mourinho or Fergie but tbf he AND HIS TEAM we must remember are must better than Warnock ect
The City view on Hughes. on 20:35 - Sep 4 with 2731 viewsJonDoeman

Is he really a better 'Football manager' than Warnock?
I don't think so, Hughes might be able to attract big name players, but I bet Warnock would get more out of them.
Some worryingly low opinion on that thread of 'our' Sparky.

It Is What It Is !!

The City view on Hughes. on 20:45 - Sep 4 with 2701 viewsJamie

Have said several times than in my opinion, Hughes is a very poor manager with a phenomenal agent and that our survival was by luck rather than design.

That said he absolutely HAS to be backed. The club has spent a fortune bringing in his players, his coaches, his scouts and now he has to be given a proper crack at it. We've been the club who sacks a manager every 6 months and it left us having to take Paul Hart.
The City view on Hughes. on 20:46 - Sep 4 with 2691 viewsessextaxiboy

This job is as important to him as us ...if he fails his career is in a cul de sac
The City view on Hughes. on 20:49 - Sep 4 with 2680 viewsClive_Anderson

Well he seems to be able to bring in decent players I'll give him that. Jury is out on whether he can organise them all effectively though.

The thing is that when a manager (or player) has left the club nowadays the supporters tend to hate them after a while regardless of how good they were. You get loads of people slagging off Warnock now and a few years ago it was the same with Holloway.
The City view on Hughes. on 20:56 - Sep 4 with 2641 viewsTacticalR

Not pleasant reading.

Air hostess clique

The City view on Hughes. on 20:57 - Sep 4 with 2635 viewsToast_R

Did pretty good at Fulham and people seem to forget he got them into Europe.

City job was a massive one, he was given f@ckll time there and endured a change of owners who wanted their own man. In todays age of rule, Fergie wouldn't have built his Dynasty either.

Hughes was employed at QPR with the first major objective of keeping us up. We were looking doomed but he turned it round.... somehow and that home run at the end was most impressive.

To be getting on his back after 3 league games one of which against the champions, is damn right f*cking ridiculous.

Are we turning into Liverpool here or something?

The City view on Hughes. on 20:58 - Sep 4 with 2627 viewsCHUBBS

The fact he can attract a better class of player is only of benefit if Hughes can create a successful system that brings consistent results.I am far from impressed by the constant tactical ineptitude displayed by him game after bloody game yet he just doesn't seem to learn.
I know Warnock made some major gaffs including getting rid of Gorkss but he'd definitely have the team set up far more solid given the money spent by Hughes.The poor signings NW made Ferdinand,SWP and Barton were almost forced upon him due to time restraints yet Hughes has had all summer to sort out that defence and has failed miserably.
The last bit of that about Ferdinand is spot on.He's a lower championship defender who had his umpteenth nightmare since he's been here at city.We will never have a consistentcy with him in the centre.
Login to get fewer ads

The City view on Hughes. on 21:04 - Sep 4 with 2596 viewsjimmya

The City view on Hughes. on 20:58 - Sep 4 by CHUBBS

The fact he can attract a better class of player is only of benefit if Hughes can create a successful system that brings consistent results.I am far from impressed by the constant tactical ineptitude displayed by him game after bloody game yet he just doesn't seem to learn.
I know Warnock made some major gaffs including getting rid of Gorkss but he'd definitely have the team set up far more solid given the money spent by Hughes.The poor signings NW made Ferdinand,SWP and Barton were almost forced upon him due to time restraints yet Hughes has had all summer to sort out that defence and has failed miserably.
The last bit of that about Ferdinand is spot on.He's a lower championship defender who had his umpteenth nightmare since he's been here at city.We will never have a consistentcy with him in the centre.

The worrying thing is football fans generally don't get it wrong. He needs time and time will tell, but we do seem to buy players on their way down rather than on their way up. I think the comment on Hughes needs to make this a success more than anyone for his own self worth is spot on. in Hughes we trust.
The City view on Hughes. on 21:14 - Sep 4 with 2552 viewsqueensparker

We HAVE to back Hughes, come what may. This is his team, who have come here because of him (or at least his legion of staff), and on paper it's the best squad we've had for decades. It's fairly obvious that Granola, M'Bia etc are only here because of a mixture of money and our manager and his staff, not our club, much as i hate to say it.

If he goes, it's back to everything falling apart around our ears, with the stakes higher than ever. In one way he's played a blinder, I think he's probably the most unsackable manager in the league.

The City view on Hughes. on 21:15 - Sep 4 with 2539 viewshamptonhillhoop

The City view on Hughes. on 20:35 - Sep 4 by JonDoeman

I don't think so, Hughes might be able to attract big name players, but I bet Warnock would get more out of them.

I think Hughes has surrounded himself by decent people who he knows and trusts. They're all pretty well regarded by those in the game. I think he is certainly more astute than warnock tactically. We've put this plan into place and we need to stick by it. Hughes improved Blackburn year on year football wise while he was there. We need to look at this as at least a two to three year project. Damn, I used that word!
The City view on Hughes. on 21:20 - Sep 4 with 2508 viewsCHUBBS

The City view on Hughes. on 21:04 - Sep 4 by jimmya

The worrying thing is football fans generally don't get it wrong. He needs time and time will tell, but we do seem to buy players on their way down rather than on their way up. I think the comment on Hughes needs to make this a success more than anyone for his own self worth is spot on. in Hughes we trust.

Yeah i agree he must get the full backing of our club but that doesn't mean he's immune from criticism.I'm just a little worried that our defence is looking worse than ever even though it was clearly in need of some major surgery over the summer.Maybe mbia and cesar will be the answers we've all been hoping for.
The City view on Hughes. on 21:25 - Sep 4 with 2484 viewsbaz_qpr

I think the players view on Hughes is much higher than maybe some of the fans. I'm quite agnostic about Hughes and in many ways I preferred how we played under Warnock. But the players are fitter, we were certainly more organised at the end of last year.

Warnock and Rednapp are old school managers who if reports are correct are very light on the details and tactics. Hughes and managers like Hodgson are strong on the details but are more fixed with a single way of playing. My main concerns with Hughes are his man management and I dont particularly like the style of play to date. However I think everyone can see he has brought in better players and put back in place a proper scouting and youth set up.
The City view on Hughes. on 21:26 - Sep 4 with 2479 viewsN12Hoop

Fck me that was a depressing read. I hope Hughes proves them all wrong, but on the basis of our set-up and performances away from home I do have some fear that we may do ok despite of him rather than because of him. However, some of our signings are only at the club because of him and qualifying for the Europa League would, for us, be an unbelieavable achievement so I'd that's the pinnacle of what we achieve in the next few years I'll be more than happy.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

The City view on Hughes. on 21:27 - Sep 4 with 2473 viewsqprwpg

The City view on Hughes. on 20:58 - Sep 4 by CHUBBS

Not sure about Ferdinand being a lower championship player, I think he can still do it in the Prem. There are far worse defenders out there, Caldwell at Wigan is one of them.

I see the tactical ineptitude as just experimenting and (I hope) one day it'll just click (or clique if he's on this mb ) and all will be well, we'll get some points on the board. Just a matter of time, but if another 10 games pass and we look shite, I'd panic like anyone else.

Twitter: @qprwpg

The City view on Hughes. on 21:32 - Sep 4 with 2453 viewsLofthope

The City view on Hughes. on 21:04 - Sep 4 by jimmya

"football fans generally don't get it wrong""

Are you deaf or don't actually go to games? On any given Saturday I sit and listen to very diverse and different opinions around me. They can't all be right.

Add to that, let's face it, football isn't renowned for attracting intellectuals is it?

Even when football does attract logical thinkers....I recall Stuart Till, an ex Millwall chairman, once saying in a Q&A I attended that you can put a load of smart businessmen in a football board room but logic will still fly out of the window.

Football brings out the irrationality in all of us. It is all about passion and not logic I'm afraid.

Most football fans are wrong on a regular basis....including me. Not always, but regularly....and if you reckon I'm wrong, how much do you win at the bookies each year?
The City view on Hughes. on 21:36 - Sep 4 with 2434 viewsWallyRanger

Should we really listen to the opinion of City fans who are more used to winning things now and are at a totally different standard to us, without Hughes though I don't think they'd have the set up to be successful and I think it's unlikely they'd have Mancini around if he didn't lay the foundations there like he is doing with us.
The City view on Hughes. on 21:49 - Sep 4 with 2392 viewsflynnbo

Anyone can stir things up and this is what is happening here and what's to be gained by all this? Just back him. He is not a bad manager. It's all too easy to criticise former managers when a club is doing better now. He's only been here since January and we've only had 3 games thus far!!
The City view on Hughes. on 21:58 - Sep 4 with 2359 viewsderbyhoop

Not totally convinced by Hughes but he has attracted bigger name and better players than Warnock ever could. He's certainly more tactically astute. But, after releasing 5 centre backs, you would have hoped for something more considered than signing a central defender in the last 2 minutes of the transfer window. And the negative approach to away games has shown in the poor results.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

The City view on Hughes. on 22:52 - Sep 4 with 2206 views18StoneOfHoop

The City view on Hughes. on 20:49 - Sep 4 by Clive_Anderson

Well he seems to be able to bring in decent players I'll give him that. Jury is out on whether he can organise them all effectively though.

The thing is that when a manager (or player) has left the club nowadays the supporters tend to hate them after a while regardless of how good they were. You get loads of people slagging off Warnock now and a few years ago it was the same with Holloway.

To paraphrase Christine Keeler at the 1963 Profumo Trial :
'Well the City fans would say that wouldn't they?'
First with the benefit of hindsight comes the explanation of all that has happened,secondary to that comes the facts to fit that opinion.

'Victory has a thousand fathers but defeat is an orphan' as JF Kennedy said after the disasterous Bay of Pigs 1962 failed invasion of Cuba. I.E. City Fans can lump over-the-top criticism on Hughes for his spell whilst overpraising what Roberto Mancini has done.Winning the first Championship in 53 years makes the argument before the facts are weighed objectively & dispassionately.
Who bought Tevez,Kompany et al?

Harry Redknapp (often unfairly derided as a silly old twitchy,candle-necked Cockney fool) was bang on,on Match of The Day last Saturday.
If Hughes had managed to secure Dawson and Carvalho - thereby solving at a stroke the massive elephant-in-the-room Centre-back problem that the world and his father knows about - then we would have done very good business indeed.
Still we done 58,000,000 times better than LFC on Deadline Day.
MH has bought some amazing,in-the-realms-of-fantasy,players amongst that 12.

As others have said the jury is still out if he can come up with the right tactics to weld that squad into a forever changing..several different constantly rotating formations and selections...horses-for-courses team(s). Like Dylan Pressman,I'm for a consistent selection home and away.A find your best team and stick with it policy.Admitedly there are many examples when AT's been pathetic - Hull - but Adel has shown at Preston and Cardiff that he can do game-changing performances on his todd when outside his LR comfort zone.
Hughes ultra-cautious approach..as endorsed by Clive.. wait for an hour keeping it tight & keeping your shape,keeping it 0-0 before going for it has yet to reap 3 points once.Hughes has more to prove away than our infuriating petulant yet brilliant 'enfant terrible'.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

The City view on Hughes. on 22:58 - Sep 4 with 2192 viewsFDC

Spoke to a fair few City supporters in a City pub after the game on Sat. They said similar things to that post above to be honest.

I'm not convinced by his tactical nous at either to be honest, although 'agnostic' would probably be the right word for me too, and I agree that we must back him now.

The thing is, I think there is an important distinction to be made between say Blackburn and City, and we are ('fraid to say!) much more like Blackburn when he took over than like City, and stand more to gain from what appear to be his positive attributes than City did. What I mean is, I think posts above saying that his strengths seem to be gathering a good team around him and attracting players are correct, which is to say he is a good club builder - which is arguably just what we need at the moment after years without a scouting network, youth team, shoddy player rehabilitation etc. City on the other hand needed a manager to work out how to get star players to play well enough to challenge in the champions league etc.
The City view on Hughes. on 23:05 - Sep 4 with 2169 viewsNathanNI

The City view on Hughes. on 22:58 - Sep 4 by FDC

Spoke to a fair few City supporters in a City pub after the game on Sat. They said similar things to that post above to be honest.

I'm not convinced by his tactical nous at either to be honest, although 'agnostic' would probably be the right word for me too, and I agree that we must back him now.

The thing is, I think there is an important distinction to be made between say Blackburn and City, and we are ('fraid to say!) much more like Blackburn when he took over than like City, and stand more to gain from what appear to be his positive attributes than City did. What I mean is, I think posts above saying that his strengths seem to be gathering a good team around him and attracting players are correct, which is to say he is a good club builder - which is arguably just what we need at the moment after years without a scouting network, youth team, shoddy player rehabilitation etc. City on the other hand needed a manager to work out how to get star players to play well enough to challenge in the champions league etc.

Let's not forget City nearly lost that title only for some daft Utd performances and that's with arguably the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Mancini made some daft decisions last season. He's no miracle worker.
The City view on Hughes. on 00:04 - Sep 5 with 2097 viewskensalriser

Did Hughes really attract all these players just through his own personal qualities, or did the wages and 'ambitions' of the club have something to do with it?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The City view on Hughes. on 00:57 - Sep 5 with 2058 viewsHans_Punter

Think we will be alright this year, looks like we started to pass the ball around rather than clearances inducing no possession.

As far as our defense goes, first game was a shocker but City and United have hardly been keeping clean sheets.

UU RRRRR's

Season 2011/2012 - The Four Game Ban

The City view on Hughes. on 06:34 - Sep 5 with 1983 viewsPommyhoop

The City view on Hughes. on 20:35 - Sep 4 by JonDoeman

Yes I think he is a better Premiership manager than Warnock.His record speaks for itself.I'm counting City as as a completely different animal than Blackburn,Fulham and indeed ourselves.He did ok at Wales too didnt he?
Give him at least a couple of months till we call for his head.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024