Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So what really happened at Wigan? 05:06 - Dec 10 with 3028 viewsjohnno

First post.....Living in Sydney QPR Supporter since 1953. I've been reading this forum on. Daily basis for the past six months. The analysis,rants, hopes, character assassinations. A rich mixture, utterly compelling. So why join the conversation now?

In Sydney, we get to see all premier league games live and if you miss them, there are umpteen repeats in the days following the matches. Normally I watch the R's. live then read the comments on this forum and Loft for words. I was down the coast for the Wigan game, no Internet coverage, so, I read the initial fan reaction on Loft for words and this Forum then I saw Harry's post match interview on BBC sport.

Talk about polarity. From the initial reports it I gathered that the team hadn't tried, SWP and JB were awful, Samba was a day dreamer and thick and Sean Derry was too slow for this league. Then I listened to Harry. Now I realise he has to be more guarded in his description of events, after all he has to work with the team, so whilst he stopped short of being effusive, he seemed satisfied with the performance in terms of effort and didn't look like a man about to throw projectiles in the dressing room.

Still haven't seen the game but my guess is that there was evidence of further improvements in the team, greater clarity on what needs to be done in the short term in finding a winning combination and identifying the correct mix of " soldiers and artists" ala the late Dave Sexton.

I don't believe that anyone would be game to bludge on on Harry and Joe's watch (
no disrespect to Kevin Bond but I'm not sure what he brings to the party). It must be very difficult for you guys being part of the R's run. Hearing the collective groans, suffering the seemingly endless setbacks. Different for me at this distance, probably more detached, your there, it's hot. Make no mistake, the R's will improve under Harry and his team the signs are there already, better individual performances, more sustained effort and no defeats. This years Wigan are much stronger than last year but couldn't' beat us. Sunderland have invested heavily and were lucky to draw. The transition will be slow but sure. Why ? Because the manager is Harry R not Harry P. !
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
So what really happened at Wigan? on 06:05 - Dec 10 with 3000 viewsade_qpr

Cheese please

a replay on foxtel at 1.30 am Tuesday morning

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

So what really happened at Wigan? on 06:36 - Dec 10 with 2981 viewssilky

Great to have you on board, also an exile living in NZ. I too feel sorry for the fans that travel week in and out to watch QPR and what this team is producing on a weekly basis, I know id struggle to watch it, being so far away when its bad isn't such a bad thing.

Totally agree with your points on Harry, he is now the manager and has my full backing, the sheer fact that Spurs are doing ok under AVB and many Spurs fans I speak to would still take Harry back in a flash speak volumes, even if he is only a short term fix for us.

At least we are unbeaten under Harry, even if we go down at least he has stopped the rut....

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

So what really happened at Wigan? on 07:11 - Dec 10 with 2960 viewsozexile

So what really happened at Wigan? on 06:36 - Dec 10 by silky

Great to have you on board, also an exile living in NZ. I too feel sorry for the fans that travel week in and out to watch QPR and what this team is producing on a weekly basis, I know id struggle to watch it, being so far away when its bad isn't such a bad thing.

Totally agree with your points on Harry, he is now the manager and has my full backing, the sheer fact that Spurs are doing ok under AVB and many Spurs fans I speak to would still take Harry back in a flash speak volumes, even if he is only a short term fix for us.

At least we are unbeaten under Harry, even if we go down at least he has stopped the rut....

Watched in Sydney after s big night. My only advice is not to watch the second half if you've been drinking. My neighbours were woken by my obscene language at our performance. Lazy passes, missed tackles,lost headers, terrible marking. Apart from that it was average.
So what really happened at Wigan? on 09:12 - Dec 10 with 2811 viewsBazWoT

This is loft for words is it not?

WE R PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY!!!

So what really happened at Wigan? on 10:05 - Dec 10 with 2737 viewsenfieldargh

favourite cheese please, we are all on tender hooks

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

So what really happened at Wigan? on 10:37 - Dec 10 with 2705 viewsPommyhoop

Welcome Johnno.Another expat living down here.Brisbane for me.When you do get to watch the re run of the match on Fox like ozexile says, the 2nd half is bad.Usual suspects although SWP did do a real ,meant assist for Cisse I spose.Look out for their second and how far Boswinga bothered to stretch to try and cut out the final ball into the box.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

So what really happened at Wigan? on 10:50 - Dec 10 with 2678 viewsJuzzie

Welcome! "The transition will be slow...." I agree this might be the case but the problem is we're fast running out of games. We had the Hughes-takes-10-games-to-settle and that never happened, we can't afford another 10 games. The team have now been together for enough time to click and they need to click quickly.

They need to stop strutting around with the "do you know who I am" type attitude and knuckle down to it. How many have the stomach and bottle for a fight? Not enough I fear ut'll we'll see over the next half dozen games.

So what really happened at Wigan? on 11:13 - Dec 10 with 2651 viewsenfieldargh

So what really happened at Wigan? on 10:50 - Dec 10 by Juzzie

Welcome! "The transition will be slow...." I agree this might be the case but the problem is we're fast running out of games. We had the Hughes-takes-10-games-to-settle and that never happened, we can't afford another 10 games. The team have now been together for enough time to click and they need to click quickly.

They need to stop strutting around with the "do you know who I am" type attitude and knuckle down to it. How many have the stomach and bottle for a fight? Not enough I fear ut'll we'll see over the next half dozen games.

you used the word TEAM, sadly we don't have one yet.

A team is a group of individuals who all work together to acheive the same goals for the greater good of the entity to which they are employed/engaged with.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Login to get fewer ads

So what really happened at Wigan? on 11:20 - Dec 10 with 2633 viewsdaveB

if that game, performance and result had come a month ago everyone would be saying it was a good hard fought point. As the previous 15 results has been awful it was seen as another disaster.

We played ok, had chances first half but were poor after the break and lucky to stay level in the first 20 of the second half. The defending after we went 2-1 up was criminal but we still could have nicked it at the end.
So what really happened at Wigan? on 11:27 - Dec 10 with 2618 viewsGloryHunter

So what really happened at Wigan? on 10:05 - Dec 10 by enfieldargh

favourite cheese please, we are all on tender hooks

Tenterhooks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenterhook
So what really happened at Wigan? on 12:17 - Dec 10 with 2564 viewspomanjou

So what really happened at Wigan? on 11:27 - Dec 10 by GloryHunter

Tenterhooks.

and I still am. Its just not acceptable not to declare your queso. Until we have this vitally important info you are a stranger in the gallery.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

So what really happened at Wigan? on 12:27 - Dec 10 with 2536 viewsJuzzie

So what really happened at Wigan? on 11:27 - Dec 10 by GloryHunter

Tenterhooks.

"All that glitters is not gold" - nope, it's "All that GLISTERS is not gold"

"King Canute couldn't hold back the tide" - implying he was trying to do something he was clearly unable to. Nope, he was trying to show his subjects, who thought he could do the impossible, that he COULDN'T.

"Money is the root of all evil" Nope... it's "The WANT of money is the root of all evil"

and finally......

It's YOU'RE not fkin YOUR.

Getting sick of the amount of people who construct perfectly good paragraphs but then it has 'your' in there. Starting to see it creep in professional documents etc. because it's now become so widespread, people are actually thinking it's the correct way to write it.

.... and breathe....

So what really happened at Wigan? on 12:43 - Dec 10 with 2501 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Come on johnno your such a cheese tease

Clive has summed it up pretty well in his review as per usual (although the cynicism is starting to mount up)

(PS. Here's the ' and the e just for you Juzzie)

It's got to be Yarg

So what really happened at Wigan? on 12:47 - Dec 10 with 2486 viewsJuzzie

So what really happened at Wigan? on 13:06 - Dec 10 with 2450 viewsjohnno

OK Seen the game , read your responses and viewed Harry's post match on QPR player, quite different from the excerpt I referred to in the post.

The game, much as I thought it would be. Rangers did get the run around for lengthy spells , Wigan had most of the chances, but the boys got a draw.

Clearly some of the players have been found wanting. Harry knows that, no handshakes or pats on the back for the players he subbed just the big ignore. His mood in the post interview was restrained. I believe if some of the more constructive posters had a face to face with him, you would be violently agreeing.

What's with the cheese references? For the sake of the post and to move on my fave is a Spanish cheese....Zamorano....(Zamora).... Joking!
So what really happened at Wigan? on 13:15 - Dec 10 with 2424 viewsTacticalR

Perhaps one of the problems is that it's very hard to be objective when points are so desperately needed.

Air hostess clique

So what really happened at Wigan? on 14:20 - Dec 10 with 2368 viewsstowmarketrange

For most of the 2nd half,we made Wigan look like Man Utd and were lucky to get a point in the end.That is the reason for the gloom and doom on here.
Another team with major players missing from their side that we didn't have the tactical nous or the endeavour to take advantage of.
I know that is a point more than we gained up here last season,but draws just ain't going to be enough to keep us up.
When are we going to really have a go at a team,and go for a win or bust?
So what really happened at Wigan? on 14:29 - Dec 10 with 2350 viewswestolian

So what really happened at Wigan? on 09:12 - Dec 10 by BazWoT

This is loft for words is it not?

Is it ?????????

Jesus wept, i've been on the wrong site all these years !

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

So what really happened at Wigan? on 15:08 - Dec 10 with 2316 viewskensalriser

So what really happened at Wigan? on 12:27 - Dec 10 by Juzzie

"All that glitters is not gold" - nope, it's "All that GLISTERS is not gold"

"King Canute couldn't hold back the tide" - implying he was trying to do something he was clearly unable to. Nope, he was trying to show his subjects, who thought he could do the impossible, that he COULDN'T.

"Money is the root of all evil" Nope... it's "The WANT of money is the root of all evil"

and finally......

It's YOU'RE not fkin YOUR.

Getting sick of the amount of people who construct perfectly good paragraphs but then it has 'your' in there. Starting to see it creep in professional documents etc. because it's now become so widespread, people are actually thinking it's the correct way to write it.

.... and breathe....

One US based forum I frequent has numerous posters who think that 'I could care less' is an expression that makes sense. When I point out the error, they just don't get it. Even more weird, few of the perpetrators make other grammatical errors.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

So what really happened at Wigan? on 15:13 - Dec 10 with 2302 viewsdaveB

So what really happened at Wigan? on 14:20 - Dec 10 by stowmarketrange

For most of the 2nd half,we made Wigan look like Man Utd and were lucky to get a point in the end.That is the reason for the gloom and doom on here.
Another team with major players missing from their side that we didn't have the tactical nous or the endeavour to take advantage of.
I know that is a point more than we gained up here last season,but draws just ain't going to be enough to keep us up.
When are we going to really have a go at a team,and go for a win or bust?

we're not good enough to go all out for a win, we'll get picked off as we did against Swansea
So what really happened at Wigan? on 15:23 - Dec 10 with 2287 viewsJuzzie

If from the first game, we'd set out to draw every game we might just have stayed up on 38 points.
So what really happened at Wigan? on 17:14 - Dec 10 with 2229 viewsstowmarketrange

So what really happened at Wigan? on 15:13 - Dec 10 by daveB

we're not good enough to go all out for a win, we'll get picked off as we did against Swansea

We were getting picked off and Wigan could have scored as many as Swansea.How are we supposed to win a game without creating chances?
The two goals we scored were from a setpiece and a defensive mistake.
We were getting carved open every time they came forward,and I'd have liked us to take the game to them for a change.They had a makeshift back four,but we didn't trouble them enough.
So what really happened at Wigan? on 17:35 - Dec 10 with 2196 viewsTacticalR

So what really happened at Wigan? on 17:14 - Dec 10 by stowmarketrange

We were getting picked off and Wigan could have scored as many as Swansea.How are we supposed to win a game without creating chances?
The two goals we scored were from a setpiece and a defensive mistake.
We were getting carved open every time they came forward,and I'd have liked us to take the game to them for a change.They had a makeshift back four,but we didn't trouble them enough.

Yes, we lack a reliable production line of goals, instead relying on moments of inspiration.

That's not always a terrible thing, as long as the team is able to soak up punishment, as Warnock's team was able to do.

Perhaps the lack of a production line is related to the schizophrenia in the playing style of the team, as described by Richard Langley in his interview on Open All R's:
"Sometimes we do go out there and we look we're going to pass the ball with Granero and Faurlin in the middle. They look like they can take control of the game. And then there are times when we look very, very direct: we're hitting Zamora, and missing out the midfield."

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024