Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just got back 19:54 - Dec 26 with 2027 viewsChaffRAFC

Very disappointing to lose having come back from 2-0 down. Result was deserved though overall and our defence cost us the game today. I like Ryan Edwards but today, he was made to look like Jon Boardman by Calvin Zola. Edwards didn't win a header all day against him and he was given the runaround for 90 minutes. McIntyre was poor and neither big Phil or Rhys had good games either.

That said, the big positive for me today was Peter Cavanagh who was far and away our best player today. He won tackles, made very important interceptions and rarely gave the ball away, and to top it off, his goal was a belter. Bobby Grant played well, second half especially but he really does need to be told never to make a tackle. He lunged in off the ground for a tackle in the first half that could very easily have been a straight red but he got away with it, then he made another couple of bad tackles before eventually picking up another yellow.

Ashley Grimes was wasted out wide while Dele Adebola was poor up front. I don't remember one occasion where he got the better of Stanton who was giving up about 8 inches in height and won every header! Very frustrating to watch.

Special mention to a small minority of the crowd who sang their hearts out for nearly all the game.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Just got back on 20:03 - Dec 26 with 1957 viewsStudiousDale

Agree with what you say/saw Chaff. I thought that Cav had a good game today - probably this was because he had more a harrying role rather than one where he had to do a lot of passing. Heard rave reviews about Bennett at RB from Friday, but he was shown up today. Ryan Edwards was awful.

We were very lucky to end the game with 11 men - Grant's 2 tackles could easily have resulted in red, and Grimes' was a blatant kick out, which if the letter of the law was followed he'd have gone. I thought we missed Gornell, Adebola was poor. If Tutte, Grant or Putterill don't get the ball and run at teams we rarely have chances despite having spells of heavy pressure. Their keeper's save from Tutte's shot when he tipped it onto the bar was top class.
Just got back on 20:11 - Dec 26 with 1927 viewsSalwaDale

Got to agree with all that. Adebola miles better than his replacement.

TBBT

Just got back on 20:11 - Dec 26 with 1923 viewsSaxonDale

Cav's goal really should have been saved. Agree he was our best player though, launched a fair few attacks through good interceptions and distribution.
Just got back on 20:12 - Dec 26 with 1911 views442Dale

Our lack of discipline doesn't matter as long as other teams are worse than we are.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Just got back on 20:13 - Dec 26 with 1899 viewsNewbury_Dale

Though Cavanagh was one of the worst performers with so many passes misplaced.
Just got back on 20:15 - Dec 26 with 1886 viewsChaffRAFC

Just got back on 20:13 - Dec 26 by Newbury_Dale

Are you joking? Please tell me you are.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Just got back on 20:21 - Dec 26 with 1852 viewsphomem

Just got back on 20:11 - Dec 26 by SaxonDale

Cav's goal really should have been saved. Agree he was our best player though, launched a fair few attacks through good interceptions and distribution.

I thought the keeper did well to get close to be fair
Just got back on 20:22 - Dec 26 with 1838 viewsSFD

Just got back on 20:15 - Dec 26 by ChaffRAFC

Are you joking? Please tell me you are.

Cav had his best game so far today an guess what Coleman took him off, beggars belief this guy so tactically inept.
It was yet again another game where our full backs were awful due to having no assistance in front of them, this was evident from very early on but we didnt change our formation to adapt.
Have to say Zola and Kee excellent !

Login to get fewer ads

Just got back on 20:33 - Dec 26 with 1795 viewsValleySaddler

It was a might fine finish from Cavanagh and he was easily the best of the bunch.He does the ugly side really really well .
Always the first player to be criticised but i have felt for a while now the team has bigger problems than Cav.
Just got back on 21:16 - Dec 26 with 1685 viewsJumeirahDale

My points from the day:

Positives (struggling)

- Cavanagh was solid - some good tackles and a decent goal.

- Our long range shooting must be among the best in the league. Only an incredible save from Lyness kept us at bay early on.

Negatives

- Was ready to see Grant red carded for that ridiculous lunge by the corner flag in the first half. What is he playing at?

- Why are we taking every goal kick to the full backs when we have a "big man" up front and can't keep the ball in our own half for love nor money?

- We looked so disinterested for the first half hour yet again. We may as well have the players stay in the changing rooms and keep warm seeing as they don't seem bothered about getting involved in the first half hour.

- Zola embarrassed our CBs today. Just simple centre-forward play - like watching Holty in his prime. Absolute bulldozer.
Just got back on 21:23 - Dec 26 with 1655 viewsYouTubeDale

Good free-kick by Kee but Lillis was not at fault. Route one stuff for their second. Goalie kicks the ball out - Zola eventually gets hold of the ball and kicks it into the left corner. Why wasn't an extra man put on Zola ???? Third goal, Zola on their right, close to our goal, waiting to pick a man out. Oh, he thinks...shall I pass it to my mate Kee who is stood in the middle of the goal TOTALLY unmarked ????????? All he had to do was to chest it in the net!! I know Kee and Zola are a handful but our defence could not cope with them - we need someone who can.
Adebola offered nothing today. Playing Donnelly would have been better.
Having to be without Tutte at Bradford makes things harder for us. Hopefully Gornell will stamp his authority - surely with the absence of Dele.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Just got back on 21:30 - Dec 26 with 1632 views442Dale

Just got back on 21:16 - Dec 26 by JumeirahDale

My points from the day:

Positives (struggling)

- Cavanagh was solid - some good tackles and a decent goal.

- Our long range shooting must be among the best in the league. Only an incredible save from Lyness kept us at bay early on.

Negatives

- Was ready to see Grant red carded for that ridiculous lunge by the corner flag in the first half. What is he playing at?

- Why are we taking every goal kick to the full backs when we have a "big man" up front and can't keep the ball in our own half for love nor money?

- We looked so disinterested for the first half hour yet again. We may as well have the players stay in the changing rooms and keep warm seeing as they don't seem bothered about getting involved in the first half hour.

- Zola embarrassed our CBs today. Just simple centre-forward play - like watching Holty in his prime. Absolute bulldozer.

Your second point: would say its the best I've ever seen at Dale. We are consistently producing good efforts on goal from distance.

Two of Grant's best shots this season didn't even go in! Port Vale away and again last Friday.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Just got back on 21:46 - Dec 26 with 1584 viewsSaxonDale

Just got back on 21:23 - Dec 26 by YouTubeDale

Good free-kick by Kee but Lillis was not at fault. Route one stuff for their second. Goalie kicks the ball out - Zola eventually gets hold of the ball and kicks it into the left corner. Why wasn't an extra man put on Zola ???? Third goal, Zola on their right, close to our goal, waiting to pick a man out. Oh, he thinks...shall I pass it to my mate Kee who is stood in the middle of the goal TOTALLY unmarked ????????? All he had to do was to chest it in the net!! I know Kee and Zola are a handful but our defence could not cope with them - we need someone who can.
Adebola offered nothing today. Playing Donnelly would have been better.
Having to be without Tutte at Bradford makes things harder for us. Hopefully Gornell will stamp his authority - surely with the absence of Dele.

Think their first goal will divide opinions for whether it was Lillis' fault. I personally think that a keeper shouldn't be beaten on his side of the goal at a freekick. The keeper wrongly anticipated that the ball would go over the wall, leaving his side of the goal (which should be his priority) exposed.
Just got back on 21:53 - Dec 26 with 1559 viewsJumeirahDale

Just got back on 21:46 - Dec 26 by SaxonDale

Think their first goal will divide opinions for whether it was Lillis' fault. I personally think that a keeper shouldn't be beaten on his side of the goal at a freekick. The keeper wrongly anticipated that the ball would go over the wall, leaving his side of the goal (which should be his priority) exposed.

I might be wrong, but wasn't there a deflection over Lillis? I definitely heard two "thud" sounds.
Just got back on 22:14 - Dec 26 with 1497 viewsSalwaDale

Just got back on 21:53 - Dec 26 by JumeirahDale

I might be wrong, but wasn't there a deflection over Lillis? I definitely heard two "thud" sounds.

I thought it seemed to lift a bit.

TBBT

Just got back on 22:16 - Dec 26 with 1492 viewsMass_Debater

Just got back on 20:13 - Dec 26 by Newbury_Dale

There's summat wrong with your computer ... it only seems to work when we lose.
Just got back on 22:26 - Dec 26 with 1452 viewsSaxonDale

Just got back on 22:14 - Dec 26 by SalwaDale

I thought it seemed to lift a bit.

Just seen the highlights, there was a definite deflection, still think that if Lillis is positioned correctly its a comfortable save.
Just got back on 22:39 - Dec 26 with 1423 viewsAtThePeake

My points from today:

I've said this before a few times but I leave myself open to criticism if I don't so I'll say it again: I haven't seen all the games by a long shot, so I am only going from the games I have seen (About 10 or so.)

Cav isn't the best player we've had but I can't understand why people single him out as poor. He is solid enough and effective at what he does and (as well as Friday) was one of our better players today.

YouTubeDale - In theory, playing Adebola on Stanton should have worked, but as Chaff pointed out in the original post, he was so so poor and Stanton just won every header against him. I don't see anything in Donnelly that makes him worth being on the pitch personally. He's very very poor.

Ryan Edwards - People seem to rate him and I'm not sure why. He had a very poor game today but I don't think I've seen him play well in any game yet this season personally. He's clumsy, slow, and is often out-strengthed. Would like to see us bring someone with a bit more experience in once he goes back to Blackburn - I do hope we don't extend his loan. And he missed an absolute sitter after Tutte's effort came back off the bar.

Zola showed us exactly what we've been missing and showed up Adebola big time today. He was terrific, ran the channels so well, won the majority of headers, was too strong for both our centre backs and was by far the best player on the field.

What's happened to Tutte? He shone in every game in the first month or so and was our MOTM week in week out.

Burton are an impressive team, but a poor club. The stadium is set out well and it's clean and tidy but talk about soulless - I don't think I heard one chant from their fans and considering the nature of the game that's poor. The flags behind the goal, the stadium announcer sounding like a boxing announcer, the fact there was only room for 8 people at the urinals in the toilets. Proper non-league.

They have some very good players though. Zola, Kee, Maghoma and Diamond were terrific.

All in all, some good and some bad points. Onwards to Bradford.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Tangled up in blue.

Just got back on 11:40 - Dec 27 with 1141 viewsfitzochris

Just got back on 22:39 - Dec 26 by AtThePeake

My points from today:

I've said this before a few times but I leave myself open to criticism if I don't so I'll say it again: I haven't seen all the games by a long shot, so I am only going from the games I have seen (About 10 or so.)

Cav isn't the best player we've had but I can't understand why people single him out as poor. He is solid enough and effective at what he does and (as well as Friday) was one of our better players today.

YouTubeDale - In theory, playing Adebola on Stanton should have worked, but as Chaff pointed out in the original post, he was so so poor and Stanton just won every header against him. I don't see anything in Donnelly that makes him worth being on the pitch personally. He's very very poor.

Ryan Edwards - People seem to rate him and I'm not sure why. He had a very poor game today but I don't think I've seen him play well in any game yet this season personally. He's clumsy, slow, and is often out-strengthed. Would like to see us bring someone with a bit more experience in once he goes back to Blackburn - I do hope we don't extend his loan. And he missed an absolute sitter after Tutte's effort came back off the bar.

Zola showed us exactly what we've been missing and showed up Adebola big time today. He was terrific, ran the channels so well, won the majority of headers, was too strong for both our centre backs and was by far the best player on the field.

What's happened to Tutte? He shone in every game in the first month or so and was our MOTM week in week out.

Burton are an impressive team, but a poor club. The stadium is set out well and it's clean and tidy but talk about soulless - I don't think I heard one chant from their fans and considering the nature of the game that's poor. The flags behind the goal, the stadium announcer sounding like a boxing announcer, the fact there was only room for 8 people at the urinals in the toilets. Proper non-league.

They have some very good players though. Zola, Kee, Maghoma and Diamond were terrific.

All in all, some good and some bad points. Onwards to Bradford.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Spot on with the players you name at the end there. I'd have any one of them in our squad.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Just got back on 12:15 - Dec 27 with 1075 viewsmacro

Just got back on 22:26 - Dec 26 by SaxonDale

Just seen the highlights, there was a definite deflection, still think that if Lillis is positioned correctly its a comfortable save.

Lillis should have done better with the first, poor positioning from a weak keeper
Just got back on 19:22 - Dec 27 with 844 viewsShun

Cavanagh had a game of extremes IMO. Probably the best we've seen him in the 'destroyer' role, but his passing was as poor as I've seen it. Didn't their free kick that they scored from come from a poor Cav foul too? Only minutes after he'd done another poor foul in near enough the same position? I don't want to be too harsh on him though as I'd have him in my starting XI more often than not.

Grant is by far our best player and I adore watching him play, but his lunges... less of them please.

I thought our MOM was either Grant or Kennedy, whilst Mcintyre had probably his worst game I've seen.

Special mention for Zola and Kee, great partnership and I wish Burton all the best.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024